User avatar
JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 3547
Joined: May 18, '15, 11:24am
Location: Thousand Oaks
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 09, '18, 3:48pm

On The latest Town Hall Live Video, Greg Miller Asked what would get you to support Kinda Funny on Patreon or support them at a higher level?


Please Leave, Any and All Idea's and below is the Townhall video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0IUBiaCJGY

User avatar
Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 3147
Joined: Jan 14, '16, 3:25pm
Location: HEAVEN, Rengkok
PSN: XDaimyo
Contact: Website

What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 10, '18, 4:37am

I'm really surprised that Kinda Funny is still a thing. They basically had no growth in over a year.
Image

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."
.

Bake1986
Producer
Posts: 232
Joined: May 03, '17, 3:15pm
Location: UK

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 10, '18, 5:19am

I would consider supporting them if they were the KF of a year or two ago, they speak to a different audience now. Like I said in another thread recently, the last few months have felt rather stale to me, the shows are just going through the motions.
Image

User avatar
BuffArms
Baller
Posts: 1846
Joined: Jan 28, '16, 12:30pm

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 10, '18, 9:38am

So the thing is I only really watch the Twitch content now, and I am subbed to them on Twitch, so I don't really feel a huge need to add to that with the Patreon when I am not really watching the YouTube content. But then I haven't really given the YouTube content that much of a chance, yet I am already watching 2 hours of content from them almost every weekday. That is already more than I watch any Network TV channel. So I think I would get burnt out.

When I did give on Patreon I was watching PS I Love You, and Love and Sex Stuff on the YouTube. Both of those shows do not exist anymore, and now I watch the replacement for PS I Love You on Twitch. So yeah.
Image
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

User avatar
BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 810
Joined: Dec 29, '16, 4:26am
Location: oHio
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510
Contact: Twitter

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 10, '18, 9:53am

First and foremost, we are on a KF forum. But lets all be real here, its in title only. KF crew doesn't really use the forums in this way (and that's fine), and its more for the community (or just us crazy few) to have and use. Same of stuff from a year ago.

So I don't think if you are a forum user it automatically means you consume KF in any other way, if t all. So I can see/understand not giving them any money.

That said (and I hope I don't get flamed for this b/c it not my intent to start a fight):

I don't understand how anyone can consume any of the different content that KF makes and not toss them a dollar a month. A dollar. That's $12 a year. That is nothing. For an entire year? $12. I don't find their tiers to be unreasonable, or unfair.

The content creation, the supporting of the community, all of the things people ask of KF to do/be requires revenue. I know there are people here and out there who don't consume the content KF makes. That's fine. But if you do. Whether its party mode, GoG, GC, of KFGD (on YT), I don't see how $1 a month is too much to ask. I just don't.

But I don't know what else these guys can do to get a $1 out of person. To get $12 a year from that person. Pretty straight forward to me. I don't think they can do more. KF offers enough for $1.


(Obviously if you give them you Twitch Prime sub to KF that counts as supporting -- i'm just here to discuss the $1 pledge)
Last edited by BedaHouse on Feb 10, '18, 1:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

User avatar
II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 2612
Joined: Nov 06, '15, 8:31am
Location: New York
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II
Contact: Twitter YouTube

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 10, '18, 12:06pm

BedaHouse wrote:But I don't know what else these guys can do to get a $1 out of person. To get $12 a month from that person. Pretty straight forward to me. I don't think they can do more. KF offers enough for $1.

Yeah a dollar a month isn’t something I’d see as a problem for anyone that watches their content consistently. I can understand if they’re strapped fo cash though. It might be just a dollar, but that on top of other bills, service subscriptions, and everything else would matter a little.

But I don’t think those are really the people they’re trying to reach with this. Assuming they have the financial means, I don’t think KF should have to do anything more than they do, at least for just a dollar.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.
Image

User avatar
The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3588
Joined: Jun 02, '15, 7:54pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Steam: The_Redback
Contact: Twitter YouTube Twitch

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 10, '18, 4:01pm

BedaHouse wrote:I don't understand how anyone can consume any of the different content that KF makes and not toss them a dollar a month. A dollar.


Its quite simple, they are forced to watch ads. That is people paying their $1.
Steam: The_Redback
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback
Youtube: (Sometimes I livestream games here)

User avatar
KFlo
Unsung Hero
Posts: 125
Joined: May 17, '15, 1:02am
Location: Colorado
XBL: Brabinski
PSN: Brabinski

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 10, '18, 5:56pm

Make content worth paying for. I don’t find their games coverage in depth at all since Colin left. I watch games daily from time to time but even then I’ll just look at time stamps and skip around. I don’t see the point of the gamescast if they do a daily show.
As far as everything else goes I think their man child shtick has gotten stale. They seem to still not know what kind of company they want to be. They still have their cult to support them but I wouldn’t except to see them grow until they find some structure with how things are ran. Restructuring everything every year is clearly not keeping anyone but the hardcore engaged.

All that being said. I’m clearly not the audience they’re targeting now. If not for Greg I would be completely checked out of everything KF related.
Image

User avatar
Lindsay
Greg's Ego
Posts: 4146
Joined: May 16, '15, 10:43pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
PSN: LindsayKelsey
Contact: Skype Facebook Twitter Twitch

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 10, '18, 7:30pm

BedaHouse wrote:
I don't understand how anyone can consume any of the different content that KF makes and not toss them a dollar a month. A dollar. That's $12 a year. That is nothing. For an entire year? $12. I don't find their tiers to be unreasonable, or unfair.


The problem is Patreon is oversaturated now. If I gave $1 to every single youtuber, artist, writer, etc who I follow-- that's suddenly $50+/mo.

That one dollar is a lot more competitive today than when they started. I don't often sub to Patreon these days, but when I do it's usually to a smaller creator where I can see the direct and immediate impact my money is making.

Ex. I follow a travel channel, and Patreon has allowed them to take 6 months off work to travel and provide drastically more content during that time. Without that money they couldn't take time off from work, and content would be limited to long weekends and holiday travel. My pledge feels impactful and also benefits me directly in the form of content I wouldn't get otherwise.

I was a patron of KF for ~2 years (and often at a much higher tier than $1). I've subbed on Twitch. I've bought merch. I've given them more money than any other content creator I follow. Now I want to support other people.

There's nothing they could do to get me to support on Patreon, because I've already given so much (and too much in my opinion). I feel like the Patreon model really relies on constantly growing & getting new viewers signed up. Continually asking the same fan base for the same money will naturally yield worse results over time.

Bake1986
Producer
Posts: 232
Joined: May 03, '17, 3:15pm
Location: UK

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 11, '18, 12:44am

KFlo wrote:Make content worth paying for. I don’t find their games coverage in depth at all since Colin left. I watch games daily from time to time but even then I’ll just look at time stamps and skip around. I don’t see the point of the gamescast if they do a daily show.
As far as everything else goes I think their man child shtick has gotten stale. They seem to still not know what kind of company they want to be. They still have their cult to support them but I wouldn’t except to see them grow until they find some structure with how things are ran. Restructuring everything every year is clearly not keeping anyone but the hardcore engaged.

All that being said. I’m clearly not the audience they’re targeting now. If not for Greg I would be completely checked out of everything KF related.


This 100%. And for me even Greg has become harder to listen to on a daily basis.

It's fine for people to say what they do is worth a dollar, of course their content is worth that, but as Lindsay touched upon if you gave a dollar to every video or podcast that entertained you it would leave you broke. There has to be something special about an outlet's content that makes you want to take that extra step in donating, for me that special sauce was PS I Love You. They're a different company now.
Image

User avatar
Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 3477
Joined: May 26, '15, 11:45am
Location: Knox, TN
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 11, '18, 5:14pm

Lindsay wrote:
The problem is Patreon is oversaturated now. If I gave $1 to every single youtuber, artist, writer, etc who I follow-- that's suddenly $50+/mo.

That one dollar is a lot more competitive today than when they started. I don't often sub to Patreon these days, but when I do it's usually to a smaller creator where I can see the direct and immediate impact my money is making.

Ex. I follow a travel channel, and Patreon has allowed them to take 6 months off work to travel and provide drastically more content during that time. Without that money they couldn't take time off from work, and content would be limited to long weekends and holiday travel. My pledge feels impactful and also benefits me directly in the form of content I wouldn't get otherwise.

I was a patron of KF for ~2 years (and often at a much higher tier than $1). I've subbed on Twitch. I've bought merch. I've given them more money than any other content creator I follow. Now I want to support other people.

There's nothing they could do to get me to support on Patreon, because I've already given so much (and too much in my opinion). I feel like the Patreon model really relies on constantly growing & getting new viewers signed up. Continually asking the same fan base for the same money will naturally yield worse results over time.



Pretty much sums it up for me as well. I paid them for two years on patreon, gave them my Prime sub for twitch, bought merch, and even helped a bit to mod these forums for a year (personally it got to a point where it felt like work and I feel I gave to much of my time ). I feel I gave all I can give. I'll watch Games Daily from time to time and give that like a click. That's all they'll get out of me.
We don’t go balls to the wall, we go nuts to butts.

User avatar
JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 3547
Joined: May 18, '15, 11:24am
Location: Thousand Oaks
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 12, '18, 9:09am

So seems like most people here just feel no reason to support them anymore because they have done it for so long or don't watch enough content anymore

User avatar
Lucaay!
Baller
Posts: 1029
Joined: May 17, '15, 4:21am
Location: UK
PSN: LegendThriller5
Contact: Website Twitter YouTube

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 12, '18, 2:37pm

I recently started supporting KFG on Patreon over xmas at the $1 level because KFGD became part of my morning routine at work so I left like I should 'toss em a buck' for making me less grumpy in the morning.

I don't really know what would make me support them on their main channel as I find myself never really watching any of the videos on that channel anymore. I don't even know what other outside of games videos I really want from them tbh =/ Other than gaming I don't really share any other interests with the guys.
*Insert Trophy Sound*
Image
@PressXToLucy
*Please excuse my typos. I sometimes type without my glasses on and therefore can't actually see/read what I'm typing lol*

User avatar
ValkyrieX
Unsung Hero
Posts: 172
Joined: May 17, '15, 7:16pm
Location: East Coast
PSN: ValkyrieX

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 12, '18, 8:45pm

PSILYxoxo was the main reason I supported KF in the past. KF's focus has shifted in the past year and I'm no longer their target audience, which is perfectly fine. I'm looking for really in-depth analysis on games and the industry at large and they've gone away from that. They've broadened their scope and became a little too casual for me.
Image

User avatar
Eve Narlieth
Baller
Posts: 1391
Joined: May 26, '15, 10:16am
Location: UK
PSN: gabieve

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 13, '18, 2:47am

Lindsay wrote:
I was a patron of KF for ~2 years (and often at a much higher tier than $1). I've subbed on Twitch. I've bought merch. I've given them more money than any other content creator I follow. Now I want to support other people.

There's nothing they could do to get me to support on Patreon, because I've already given so much (and too much in my opinion). I feel like the Patreon model really relies on constantly growing & getting new viewers signed up. Continually asking the same fan base for the same money will naturally yield worse results over time.


Great comment Lindsay. This sums it up for me as well. I think you're right about the model depending on new viewers. After 18 months I just felt like supporting other channels. And then now I'm signed up to Audible so that's £8 a month (more than what I used to pay in Patreon).
Image

User avatar
Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 3147
Joined: Jan 14, '16, 3:25pm
Location: HEAVEN, Rengkok
PSN: XDaimyo
Contact: Website

Re: What Would Get You To Support Kinda Funny on Patreon? Greg Miller Is Asking You

Feb 13, '18, 11:42am

ValkyrieX wrote:PSILYxoxo was the main reason I supported KF in the past. KF's focus has shifted in the past year and I'm no longer their target audience, which is perfectly fine. I'm looking for really in-depth analysis on games and the industry at large and they've gone away from that. They've broadened their scope and became a little too casual for me.


This sums up my experience. I unsubscribed from both channels the moment Greg confirmed PSILY wasn't coming back.
Image

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."
.

Return to “Kinda Funny”