Jan 05, '17, 10:11am

TheHooDooer
Pure One
XBL: TheHooDooer
PSN: ReDRuM1245
Steam: TheHooDooer

Great Switchpectations | Colin Was Right

Jan 05, '17, 10:17am

Great episode, as expected. My thoughts are the same as everyone else's... Scripted, forced, blah blah blah.

I can bet Colin has given this thought already, but I'm curious as to what the rest of the KF fans think...

Would you prefer Colin Was Right as a show on YouTube, or as longform articles on kindafunny.com?
What is a man but the sum of his memories? We are the stories we live. The tales we tell ourselves.

TheWorthyEdge
Pure One
XBL: TheWorthyEdge
PSN: TheWorthyEdge
NNID: TheWorthyEdge

Jan 05, '17, 12:38pm

Love the concept of this show but it really is to scripted. I don't know if that's a common agreement but it really is to scripted. There's nothing wrong with a script but the thing I love about watching these guys is how conversational they are. This is absolutely something I would love to see more of in this show.
:kinda As a creator, I always want to betray fans' expectation. -H.Kojima

JerrodDRagon
Baller

Jan 05, '17, 12:59pm

Not a fan of the script, like most others
I do like the show....just would like it better if it felt less scripted like Kim Sterling who does write things out but speaks in a way that hides it better

Brotherhood93
Pride of the Forums
PSN: M_O_T1919

Re: Great Switchpectations | Colin Was Right

Jan 05, '17, 1:01pm

I like that it's scripted. It will start to feel more natural as time goes on but we have enough conversational stuff, which is great but there's a place for scripted, focused content too.

SorryWeAre0_o
Shadow Boxer
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Jan 05, '17, 1:17pm

I said in the other thread for the show that it's better scripted otherwise it would just be rambling. They have plenty of shows that are unscripted and conversational already. I think apart of it is that people who've watched them regularly for the last few years aren't used to them doing this kind of content. They come across as quite formal which is a stark contrast to how relaxed they are on most of their podcasts / shows. But I also think the guys will find it more natural the more they present scripted content not just Colin, it's noticeable with Greg too when he's reading the teleprompter.

Also shoutout to Colin if you're reading this, the production values are fantastic, as is your editing especially considering you're pretty new to it.

If you watch this weeks show and then the first episode you can already see the improvement as Colin gets more comfortable. I think you have a big hit on your hands with this show.
Last edited by SorryWeAre0_o on Jan 05, '17, 2:47pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deathtone
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Jan 05, '17, 1:23pm

It was pretty good. He's improving with each video.
Have a suggestion for Poll of the Week? Then p.m. me your suggestion!

Discord: deathtone#4863
Movie Collection: http://deathtoneaenima.filmaf.com/owned
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... /deathtone
► Show Spoiler

Exoterror
Pure One
XBL: Exoterror
PSN: Exoterrorsaurus

Jan 05, '17, 2:14pm

Brotherhood93 wrote:I like that it's scripted. It will start to feel more natural as time goes on but we have enough conversational stuff, which is great but there's a place for scripted, focused content too.

This is how I feel about the show. You can see that reading from a script isn't coming naturally to Colin, but this was a huge improvement over the prologue episode. It's a skill and I'm sure that over the coming weeks and months it will continue to improve.

EDIT: Accidentally hit Submit before I was finished.
I would have sex with the goat!

The_Redback
Steam: The_Redback

Jan 05, '17, 2:25pm

I like that this show is scripted, I think it will just take Colin time to get used to it.
Steam: The_Redback
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
Twitter: @The_Redback

nicktorious_BIG
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Jan 05, '17, 2:29pm

I think I've said it before, but I totally agree that this should be scripted. It will help prevent it from being a rambling mess. With these kinds of shows you need a clear and coherent point.

smallblock_327
Portillo's Mouth Noises
PSN: smallblock_327

Jan 05, '17, 2:34pm

Agree with the sentiments posted above. I enjoy that these segments are scripted - will just take some time for Colin to get the overall flow and feel where it should be. A huge fan of anything inspired by John Oliver.

Mr_Jetton
Pure One

Jan 05, '17, 2:58pm

The video was great and I agree a lot with Colin. If Nintendo makes their Switch event anything like Sony's PS4 reveal in 2013, I think they will be just fine.

icyflamez96
Unsung Hero

Jan 05, '17, 5:14pm

Great job Colin. really enjoyed this.

GregB
Shadow Boxer

Jan 05, '17, 5:49pm

I definitely like the conversational stuff better than this, but it's perfectly fine as a few minutes of supplementary Colin opinions between episodes of PSILY and Gamescast. My only worry is that Colin opinions could start getting regurgitated several times a week on the same subject in multiple videos. I'm sure that's his worry too, so as long as things are kept fresh, I'll be there.

quesobros
Pure One
XBL: Quesobros17
PSN: quesobros
NNID: guacamolebros
Steam: quesobros

Jan 05, '17, 6:10pm

I actually enjoy it being scripted. It shows off Colin's writing and attention to research and detail.

guitarfreek5613
Portillo's Mouth Noises
PSN: guitarfreek5613

Jan 05, '17, 7:16pm

Great episode, but had a question...

What company does everyone think would fill the void (or attempt too) if the switch did fail and we no longer had nintendo as a major player in the hardware side?

Would Sega or an equivalent try and make a name for themselves again (Atari I'm looking at you) or would the ecosystems boil down to Microsoft and Sony?

RAYdiationHazard
Best Friend
Position/Title: Rabid Consumer
PSN: stigasaurous

Jan 05, '17, 8:06pm

:kinda As PlayStation fans, should we be rooting for the switch to fail? I do not want Nintendo to disappear its that I don't want to buy two consoles every generation. Nintendos last two consoles were trash. I want to play Mario and Zelda on a dual shock. I want Nintendo to focus on first party games instead of hardware. I agree with Colin when he says that an independent and brave Nintendo who only answers to themselves is good for the gaming industry as a whole but if they only had to focus on making their titles run on the PlayStation and Xbox would they not be more profitable? Who else wants to see the switch fail? :kinda
:kinda {This is the empty space where I add a quirky signature eventually, but obviously not today} :kinda

CinciBoiler
Baller
PSN: Izzyrules

Jan 06, '17, 8:02am

Yeah, I actually like that its scripted. It gives it more of a "news report" type feel than some of their other shows. Its different, but I think that's good and honestly needed. Otherwise, it would just be a shorter version of things we're already getting with the KFMS, Gamescast, etc...
Twitter: CinciBoiler
PSN: Izzyrules

OwlSlayer
Pure One
PSN: SytruZ

Jan 06, '17, 8:52am

Colin has said that this show will always going to be scripted. I understand why some of you dislike that but give him some time. It will feel more natural as time goes I mean look at Jim Sterling or Boogie.

Great job Colin, you keep inspiring me everyday.
Image Image

TheHiketeia
Unsung Hero
PSN: TheHiketeia
Steam: TheHiketeia

Jan 06, '17, 9:19am

First off, I have enjoyed the episodes so far. The content & production value is there, so I'm excited for Colin to get more comfortable and find his own natural flow.

RAYdiationHazard wrote::kinda As PlayStation fans, should we be rooting for the switch to fail? I do not want Nintendo to disappear its that I don't want to buy two consoles every generation. Nintendos last two consoles were trash. I want to play Mario and Zelda on a dual shock. I want Nintendo to focus on first party games instead of hardware. I agree with Colin when he says that an independent and brave Nintendo who only answers to themselves is good for the gaming industry as a whole but if they only had to focus on making their titles run on the PlayStation and Xbox would they not be more profitable? Who else wants to see the switch fail? :kinda

I'm a big Playstation fan, and I lost most of my love for Nintendo in the Wii era. Still, I think, no matter your fan camp, gamers shouldn't want any product to fail. Competition and creativity push the market forward, so I sincerely hope the Switch does well.

You're probably right in that if they simply produced games, they would be more profitable. It'd just be sad to see such a key innovator in the gaming technology field stop making hardware. Nintendo's hardware and R&D is the reason we have directional pads, shoulder buttons, etc. Things like PSVR wouldn't exist if Nintendo hadn't pioneered the field of home-VR (RIP Virtual Boy) and motion controls.

But at the end of the day, like you said, Nintendo's most important contribution is its first party IPs. We'll have to see.
It all began with a Nintendo 64 in 1996...
Now I'm all about that Playstation Nation/PCMR.

ImageImage