Tardis1982
Baller

What's Good Games - Awesome people get together

May 17, '17, 8:50am

The Patreon seems to be off to a slow start this got me thinking is Patreon starting to reach its limit? Especially in the gaming industry there is only so many things people can subscribe to.
PSN Tardis632
XBL Figment632
NID Tardis1982
STM Tardis1982

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

May 17, '17, 8:57am

Tardis1982 wrote:The Patreon seems to be off to a slow start this got me thinking is Patreon starting to reach its limit? Especially in the gaming industry there is only so many things people can subscribe to.

Well, thanks to Youtube's new policies I wouldn't be surprised if we see a major flock of creators come to Patreon to gain funding. Unfortunately, yes, that means the service will start to lose a little steam unfortunately. Oversaturation will probably start to become a thing.

Bake1986
Producer

Re: What's Good Games - Awesome people get together

May 17, '17, 9:09am

Hopefully the contributions will step up when they start releasing content. I, for one, am not quite ready to start donating until I know what kind of areas/platforms they'll be covering.

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

May 17, '17, 9:35am

shanethesaint88 wrote:Naomi used to be on Podcast Unlocked almost weekly for a stretch in 2013-2014. She is very knowledgeable about games. I have no idea why she doesn't do more things like that now a days. She seems to do the Daily Fix and that's it. Would love to see her more in games talk type roles

Like I said, from what I say from the comments it was always shitting on her. Stuff like the Guys all talk over her she must be dumb or she doesn't play games...etc

Its stuff like that would ware anyone down
Eve Narlieth wrote:
It's ridiculous how much harassment she gets from people online. God forbid you're a pretty woman online

Very True, Alanah deals with hate too. Its just a bunch of lonely guys who secretly have crushes on them. When Alanah came in to IGN I commented how much I enjoyed she her on shows not because she is a girl but because she can both shit on games and also praise the great games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4QqTlJx1gU

Wiskysin
Shadow Boxer
XBL: Wiskysin
PSN: DoctorSyntax

May 17, '17, 1:44pm

vitzpatel wrote:
Wiskysin wrote:I guess I'm going to be cynical about what this will eventually become, and that kinda sucks. That wouldn't be fair to say if Andrea Rene and Alexa didn't both go down that road on their KF guest appearances, but they did. Not sure about the other two, but damn if they don't need one of them to be a female Colin. If they can stay above the fray, keep it about games, and not dip into the easy narratives that I think they're inevitably going to go into by being too PC, it can and be a rousing success. We need more Jade Raymond's and less whiners, because the latter is a total turn off. I'm picturing a merry band of white knights already, though.

There's a huge opportunity to pick up the ball that...some company has dropped and not picked back up yet.

As I'm Asian, if I were to defend the show once it come out because they aren't intentionally ruffling feathers in their first few shows as they are finding their feet - does that make me a white or a brown knight?

You can use your own crayons. kfhappy

Bake1986
Producer

May 18, '17, 1:34pm

They've put a short video out. Production value isn't the best, I hope the donations to date can at least get them in the same room together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9icBAuvso5A

I'm still not a massive fan of the channel's name, and it doesn't appear to be completely Google-friendly. Hope it's not stopping people from finding them.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

May 18, '17, 2:26pm

Bake1986 wrote:I'm still not a massive fan of the channel's name, and it doesn't appear to be completely Google-friendly. Hope it's not stopping people from finding them.

Oh shit...I didn't even think about that! Yeah...their name really does screw with Google's algorithms huh?

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

May 18, '17, 3:17pm

Tardis1982 wrote:The Patreon seems to be off to a slow start this got me thinking is Patreon starting to reach its limit? Especially in the gaming industry there is only so many things people can subscribe to.

They just aren't well known gaming personalities. We know them because they are friends of Kinda Funny but most people aren't familiar with the behind the scenes people at the big websites like Alexa and Steimer. Blonde Nerd has a decent following (27,000 YT subscribers) but it's not really that big and I don't even think she mentioned this on her YouTube channel (not everyone follows social media!). Andrea is probably the biggest name of the 4 but I don't know how large her actual fanbase is because its so scattered as this (I think) is the first time she's really getting in to making online content herself instead of working for a big company.

You gotta remember that the guys from Kinda Funny (Mainly Colin and Greg) were some of the biggest names in the industry and had the most popular PlayStation podcast in the world. Hell, Greg was the face of IGN. Also, They were doing the channel for a long time before they decided to go to Patreon and leave IGN so the fanbase was already there. These ladies are starting almost fresh and when I say Andrea is the biggest name of the 4 that still doesn't mean she's anything close to Colin and Greg. She has the most Twitter followers of the 4 at 43k. Sounds like a lot and for someone like me that would be but Colin alone has 163k followers on Twitter and Greg has over 1 million. It was just a bigger thing when they went to Patreon because they were bigger and they already had their core audience.

When Colin left Kinda Funny a lot of Kinda Funny fans (and Dave Rubin fans) supported him from Day 1 so it's not like Colin was really starting from scratch either.

So basically, my answer is I don't think it has reached its limit. I just don't think they are as well known and they don't have that big of an audience yet. It'll grow I'm sure but launching a Patreon when a lot of people don't know who you are and having almost nothing on that channel is going to be hard for them. I'm very interested to see where it goes though because I'm starting to get sick of Kinda Funny's bullshit as of late and them having barely any games coverage because they'd rather take random trips to Rooster Teeth and put all their time and energy in to KFL3.

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

May 18, '17, 4:36pm

Tomorrow is there first real podcast...can't wait to listen it as I go home

Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

May 18, '17, 11:55pm

Also excited to hear the first podcast

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

May 19, '17, 10:39am

First Episode up, 2 hours long. Seems like the money I supported them with was well spent KFBF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhJwnNuBbU4

Bake1986
Producer

May 19, '17, 11:36am

It's a shame about the production, Andrea and Alexa's line cuts out a lot. In terms of the subject matter it's a very promising start, definitely planning to stick with the channel.

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

May 19, '17, 12:42pm

Bake1986 wrote:It's a shame about the production, Andrea and Alexa's line cuts out a lot. In terms of the subject matter it's a very promising start, definitely planning to stick with the channel.

Yeah I was interested in what they were talking about but had to stop because of the Mics cutting out

Maybe Next week, also I somehow blame this on Kevin portilloKevin

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego
PSN: AirMcLaren

May 19, '17, 1:24pm

Even the first minute was tough for me to watch. I shut it off after two.

It interactions were awkward... which I'm sure had a lot to do with figuring out how to interact with each other both in person and remotely.

I hope they iron it out because I need a gaming podcast, like, yesterday.
PSN: AirMcLaren
Twitter: @thechrismclaren
Battle.net: AirMcLaren#1687
Discord: AirMcLaren#6427

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

May 22, '17, 4:20am

No iTunes version? At least, I didn't find it... Not much of a Youtube viewer, myself...

Brotherhood93
Greg's Ego
PSN: M_O_T1919

May 22, '17, 4:43am

BetoJR wrote:No iTunes version? At least, I didn't find it... Not much of a Youtube viewer, myself...

Think they're still figuring that out. I know they said they're in the process of getting it up on some platforms but I can't remember which ones.

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

May 26, '17, 11:43am

Why is the Hershey factory so close to the hot pocket?

icyflamez96
Unsung Hero

May 28, '17, 12:17am

Couldn't get much through episode 1 with those audio issues. Listened to episode 2 yesterday and it was pretty decent filler while I was doing things. Hopefully I'll warm up to them more as they progress.

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

May 28, '17, 1:09pm

icyflamez96 wrote:Couldn't get much through episode 1 with those audio issues. Listened to episode 2 yesterday and it was pretty decent filler while I was doing things. Hopefully I'll warm up to them more as they progress.

The audio versions of episode 1 is where it's at. It's a hell of a lot better than the video
Why is the Hershey factory so close to the hot pocket?

danman31
Producer

May 30, '17, 1:18am

I was glad to see this become a thing. Andrea is one of my favorite KF guests and I like Alex and Steimer as well. I had to stop watching Episode 1, but the second one was good. My only concern is that I'm not sure I have much in common with their gaming tastes so far. I supported them (only a $1, but what the hell) and am curious to see where it goes. It's like going back to the start of KF with awful production values.

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”