SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Re: Rate the Last Game You Finished

Aug 07, '17, 11:46am

So I finally, while watching Boy Meets World this weekend, beat Titan Souls after honestly forgetting about it on my Vita.

That said, there was a reason I forgot about it. There really isn't much of a story in this one; I get it, it's suppose to mimic Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus and have a vague story, but I mean it when I say I didn't really see anything resembling a story in this. You kill Titans. I will be getting into spoilers now, so be warned.
► Show Spoiler
The brilliance of Shadow and Dark Souls is that the item descriptions, world, and bosses all build to wrap into the story, and while yes the bosses do wrap into the narrative, there is very little in this game that builds an enjoyable and thoughtful gaming story.

Rolling, sprinting, and shooing/retrieving your arrow. That is what you have to work with against boss AI that can be quite annoying and irritating at times. The simple argument here would be the famous meme "git gud", and while some bosses are exactly this, the final couple before the true ending boss can be cumbersome and more frustrating than enjoyable to learn. That said, it was cool to kill a boss while retrieving the arrow. But me personally, I wish the game had a bit more variety to it overall. Especially with the style of boss battles there are; half the bosses feel too similar (Dark Souls 2 problems), and the overall environments didn't really feel, for lack of a better word, unique or interesting.

Sounding super negative right now, but honestly my opinion of this game is more positive than negative. The music was awesome, I liked the boss designs overall and I did like the Choose Your Shot concept that forced you to be careful and learn your opponent. Verdict: 6.5 out of 10.

why2bee
Unsung Hero
PSN: why2bee

Aug 07, '17, 12:22pm

Beat Sly Cooper Thieves in Time Last night (still cleaning up for the platinum)

7/10.

Loses points for:
- Ridiculously long load times
- Gimmicky motion sensor controlls
- Weaker cast of characters compared to Honor Among Thieves

Game play classic Sly and fun story. Recommend if you have a vita and can pick it up on the cheap, as I did during a sale.

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Rate the Last Game You Finished

Aug 11, '17, 12:18pm

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - A game I enjoyed but don't want to see repeated.

For me this game was a mixed bag. I had a hard time figuring out how to judge it. It's a $30 game that attempts to mimic the quality of a $60 game, and from what I can tell the development team isn't very big. So I'm not sure how to judge it, and whether or not I should be forgiving with certain things.

-Story, world building, and Senua herself
First off I will,p say that the game was much longer than I expected. It's not a very short game, so length wise I was very satisfied considering the price. Up until the ending I liked Senua, her condition, her story(past and present), and the world it is set in. It's definitely something on the unique side. The voices she hears help to make her character unique, but also add to gameplay. Her story and driving purpose were cool. And I liked the mythical world everything takes place in. It's the perfect mixture of fantasy and grounded elements for me. I mention not liking the ending because it wasn't satisfying for me. I don't feel as if I was given enough answers to things, and I don't understand the ending itself. I also don't think it was satisfying from a gameplay perspective.
► Show Spoiler

-Gameplay: Combat, puzzles, and environment traversal.
For me the gameplay was half great, and half boring. It's all very formulaic. Walk for a while, solve some puzzles, and fight a wave of people. That's what you do in video games sure, but this game made it all feel routine.

I really enjoyed the combat, though it has its issues. The enemies are all pretty similar and there are few options for fighting. It's all very repetitive. However it's the type of sword combat that I've been wanting in a game for a long time. Its not over the top hack and slash and it feels personal. There actually is a surprising amount of combinations that can be made with the three actions you have. Fast attack, slow attack, and melee. The run button can also be used with those too, and I had fun experimenting. It's repetitive but I made it enjoyable for myself.

Puzzle solving is something that I have never really enjoyed outside of the Portal games. And this game didn't win me over. A lot of the puzzles in the game are clever and have cool mechanics, but are not fun to actually solve. It's just not stimulating gameplay.

The rest of your time is spent traversing the environment, something that's also not very interesting. It's a a lot of walking and the occasional ladder, or small climb/short drop. Plus Senua is slow and that doesn't help.

-Environments, graphics, and visuals.
I understand graphics aren't everything, but a game like this needs to do a good job of looking good in order to sell me on its narrative. Plus I need to enjoy what I'm looking at. Senua herself is very well done. She feels real to me. The rest of the game not so much.

I found the actual design of the environments to be very bland and boring. A lot of rocks, grass and dirt, and simple structures. No pleasing art style, a lack of detail, and uninteresting locations. A lot of textures were also bad in my opinion. Most of the time I didn't find the game to be visually stimulating. I was also aware of a development trick they used when making the game. Senua is the only person given an in game model. Everyone else is actually real footage doctored a little bit. That made me start to notice a lot of other short cuts and things that were clearly done in order to save on money and time. For me that's not clever, but a lack of effort and ultimately a less quality game. The puzzles to me are also a sign of this.

As I said, I enjoyed my time with this game. I might have a lot of negative things to say about it, but I wasn't left feeling disappointed or completely upset with the game. The positives equally counter the negatives, leaving an okay game overall. I have plenty of personal gripes with it, and overall it's not that great. It's narrative and main character are well done, and I enjoyed the combat. The rest of its gameplay is okay, but not really fun. It's visuals are sometimes unappealing, and it stinks of a lack of budget and team size considering the fact that they are trying to mimic the quality of a $60 game. If this is what other games in this $30/AA title realm are going to be like, then I'd rather this be the last. It was an okay attempt.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Aug 12, '17, 8:40am

Saints Row IV - 10/10

Just brilliant. Absolutely fantastic game. The epitome of the terms 'fun' and 'video games'.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Aug 13, '17, 5:51pm

The_Redback wrote:Saints Row IV - 10/10

Just brilliant. Absolutely fantastic game. The epitome of the terms 'fun' and 'video games'.

Now here's a question. Did you enjoy it more than Saints Row The Third? Because I feel like I enjoyed the third game more. I loved both...but I just enjoyed my time with 3 a little more.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Aug 13, '17, 6:48pm

nicktorious_BLT wrote:
The_Redback wrote:Saints Row IV - 10/10

Now here's a question. Did you enjoy it more than Saints Row The Third? Because I feel like I enjoyed the third game more. I loved both...but I just enjoyed my time with 3 a little more.

I did enjoy it more than Saints Row 3. I think I really enjoyed the super power aspect.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Aug 13, '17, 6:58pm

The_Redback wrote:I did enjoy it more than Saints Row 3. I think I really enjoyed the super power aspect.

Hmm...that's funny because that's part of the reason why I like SR3 more than SR4. Although the super powers are cool and allow you to do some pretty boss-ass stuff, they kind of discouraged you from using vehicles to traverse the world. They gave you vehicles and such in SR4 but no incentive to use them. If anything they felt like a burden when you could literally just slingshot your way to where you need to go. It's a minor gripe I had with the game...but I guess there's such a thing as "too powerful."

Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

Aug 21, '17, 2:48am

The Banner Saga 9/10

The only reason I didn't give the game a 10 is because the final boss fight frustrated the hell out of me. Omfg I played the whole game on normal and then couldn't get pass the 2-step (no save) boss fight at the end. Which means I missed out on the trophy for finishing on Normal..

Besides that, I really liked the game. Great ambiance, the fights were interesting, the dialogues even more. Your decisions have consequences, and I loved the D&D feel I got from it. It's like I could hear the dice rolling behind every dialogue choice and attacks.

I can safely recommend it, but only if you like strategy games like this (fire emblem, xcom, etc)

Rumik
Pure One
Position/Title: UI Designer at Criterion Games
XBL: Rumik
Steam: Rumik

Aug 21, '17, 3:19am

Batman - The Telltale Series, season 1 - Played on Xbox One.
8/10

The Telltale formula seems to work really well for Batman. It had a really nice balance of actiony Batman sequences and more narrative-heavy Bruce Wayne sequences, with some fairly simple but interesting combat planning thrown in occasionally. I enjoyed the different take on the mythos and I’m looking forward to playing Season 2.

Shame the engine is so buggy. The frame rate was pretty bad st times too.

I really want a Spider-Man Telltale series.
UK game developer, father of two girls, late bloomer portilloSeducer
Credits include Star Wars: Battlefront II, X-Wing VR Mission, Need For Speed, DRIVECLUB & the MotorStorm series
God DAMN I love those Funko Pop vinyl figures

MannySJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Aug 28, '17, 11:04am

Horizon: Zero Dawn - 9/10

I've discussed, at length, my issues with the game, but I have had quite the turn around on it since then. All said and done, this is easily one of my favorite games this year.

While I have already discussed most of my thoughts on gameplay, the story really takes a turn once you hit a certain point and I thought what they did was really interesting. I certainly didn't see it coming. I initially thought Aloy was fine, but as I progressed and learned more about her past, I started to connect with her more and found her to be really compelling.

The finale was very cool and appropriately epic. The game's ending left a little to be desired though:
► Show Spoiler

vitzpatel
Baller
PSN: vitz1985

Aug 29, '17, 1:55am

Uncharted - The Lost Legacy

Finished the campaign last night, another wonderful Uncharted adventure. While it's clear that the mechanics are lifted from Uncharted 4 and it's built on the same engine/framework - they are still really fun to play with.

Some of the set pieces are rehashes from UC4, such as being dragged behind a moving object during a chase sequence, which did make me think 'wait a sec, I did this exact same thing before', however, I loved the plot and the character development.

I left UC4 a little cool on Nadine, i didn't think her character was properly explored or justified, so it was really nice to see it here - and see her relationship with Chloe grow.

The environments are beyond gorgeous - and I am kicking myself for leaving the UI on some of the photos I took. India is a beautiful place, and the landscapes are breathtaking beautiful. Once again, top marks to the art department.

Overall, I loved this game, even though it's a shorter, tighter experience. Also Meeru stole the show.
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

Hestefesten
Pure One

Sep 03, '17, 2:53am

I finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice the other night.
I think think it's a really interesting game, but sometimes a bit too slow/linear. I don't mind linear games, some of my favourite games are linear, but I feel like the environments isn't interesting enough to make it engaging when you are just walking from A to B. The combat is good, but also very limited. What keeps it from being amazing, is that the entire game just feels too limited.
There are still a lot of things to like about it, like the lore, story, voice acting etc. And it does have some special moments that are not just boring cutscenes.

I'd probably score it 7.5/10.

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Sep 08, '17, 9:33am

Lara Croft Go

Another really good entry in the Go series. The way the game ramps up difficulty slowly is really well done. The controls were a bit finicky, and I'm not sure why I wasn't allowed to use the d-pad to control Lara. While not as good as Hitman Go, there's some really cool, creative and challenging puzzles here.

7/10

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sep 08, '17, 10:55am

Never did do a Uncharted Lost Legacy review, but to sum up, I freaking loved it (9.5 out of 10 kinda love). Only drag was the open world bit; if they add more life to the open bit section, I wouldn't have anything to grip about. But that's really it (shout out to the elephant section.)

Also recently beat Matterfall and Wheels of Aurelia as well. For Matterfall, I'll be short and sweet: I liked it, but didn't love it. Yeah yeah could have been longer, that is a major complaint many have, along with more modes and whatnot (which they need to add as patches or something). But for me, I just didn't get invested like the other games. Matterfall kinda threw you the main character you play as without really knowing anything about her, learning anything about her throughout the game, and overall just had a weak story. Shame too, could have built into something cool. And while it might be a "git gud" thing, I actually had a tough time at times keeping that score meter high, and had a decent trouble with the final boss for a bit (grant it, just had to learn from mistakes but still). But that all said, it was still quite a lot of fun, it played well, looked gorgeous, OST was awesome like usual, and I was happy when I beat it. But for sure not my favorite Housemarque title (still need to get around to Nex). Verdict: 7.5 out of 10.

Wheels of Aurelia: went in expecting nothing, walked away pretty happy. The multiple endings actually felt earned and real within the context of the game and the events, it is interesting how it actual fits with history in some funny ways, and it offered some funny character moments. I do wish there were more characters akin to more hitchhickers, just to add a little more variety to the people you meet/more context for the time period, but really it was enjoyable. Gameplay wise is bare bones, but that's ok with me (basically is a small car driving simulator akin to a walking simulator in a way). And visually it looks fine, but the OST is what really continues to make me smile (that damn theme song is so catchy). Only downside of the game is that once you beat it a few times, you really just push for the endings and the game gets boring at that point. But luckily it doesn't last long, because for me personally the endings usually were the reason I kept going. Verdict: 7.5 out of 10.

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Sep 08, '17, 11:10am

Horizon: Zero Dawn. Freakin' loved it, from top to bottom. 10/10. And I don't think I have enough words to express just how much I enjoyed this game, from the amazing graphics, to the engrossing combat and going so far as to say, the charming heroine. Loved the story and I think there's still so much to discover, in that world (no, I do not believe they've exhausted Aloy's story, yet - let alone all of the more engrossing mysteries within her world... no, not even close, so there's a lot of room for more).

Can't wait for the expansion, now. portilloPure1

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Sep 10, '17, 8:46am

Batman Telltale Season 1

I thought this was really great, and easily the best thing Telltale has done since Walking Dead Season 1. The cast of characters was excellent, and although I have a few gripes (which I'll detail in the game's forum page), they were more than overshadowed by the great stuff. Episodes 1,2, and 4 were brilliant. Ep 5 was really good. Episode 3 wasn't very good at all.

8/10

MannySJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Sep 11, '17, 9:35am

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 7.5/10

I'm going back and forth on this statement, but I think this is my least favorite of the Uncharted games. It's still a fun game with a great story/characters, but I can't help but notice an general lack of polish on this game, which for Naughty Dog is relatively unheard of. The Circle and Cross buttons are contextual in these games, and this time it just felt off. I died several times, simply because the game made me roll out into the open instead of moving from cover; I died a couple more times because the game made me jump onto something I didn't intend to. Also, I wish they would have gone back to the drawing board on stealth, because it's handled poorly and lacks any sort of depth whatsoever. The open world area is dull, pointless, and really brings down the overall game for me as well.

Still, while not in combat, I had a good time. The discovery has always been a big part of the series and this is no exception. Graphically, this game continues the jaw-dropping visuals of Uncharted 4. I enjoyed Chloe and Nadine's story as well, despite what reviews said.

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Sep 13, '17, 12:13pm

NBA 2K18 Prelude

I can't tell you how much I want to like the NBA 2K games, but I just can't get into them. There's a high barrier to entry in this game, I don't really understand the intricacies of basketball either. I've watched Youtube videos for years, bought a couple of the games, but it just doesn't click. It's mostly me, but the nature of basketball is a problem too. It doesn't have the explosion of a goal in FIFA or a touchdown in Madden. It's just a steady accumulation of points. I like that euphoric moment.

As for the Prelude, it was a bit dumb. I got my ass handed to me in the games, yet in the cut scenes afterwards coaches were telling me how awesome I was! 5/10

I'm after a sports game this year as I'm not going to get FIFA. As much as I'd like it to be 2K18, I think I'd be wasting my money. NHL18 is the likely candidate at the moment.

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sep 13, '17, 12:50pm

gwnner wrote:I'm after a sports game this year as I'm not going to get FIFA. As much as I'd like it to be 2K18, I think I'd be wasting my money. NHL18 is the likely candidate at the moment.

I think Valo might love me for this one, but personally I always liked the PES series (the one thing Konami does not actually make bite the pillow on a regular basis). But seriously, I fell in love with PES about 5 years ago because I was not that into FIFA for some odd reason.

Also, after trying out Madden 18, it's pretty solid (assuming you haven't tried it or whatnot). portilloKevin

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Sep 13, '17, 12:59pm

SonofMar wrote:I think Valo might love me for this one, but personally I always liked the PES series (the one thing Konami does not actually make bite the pillow on a regular basis). But seriously, I fell in love with PES about 5 years ago because I was not that into FIFA for some odd reason.

Also, after trying out Madden 18, it's pretty solid (assuming you haven't tried it or whatnot). portilloKevin

I played PES a couple of years ago. I think it was PES 16. Based on that game I just cannot fucking believe that the last few PES games have rated higher than FIFA. It's worse than FIFA in every possible way.

As for Madden, I love playing it every few years, but it's definitely not what I'm after this year.

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”