SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Re: Rate the Last Game You Finished

Aug 07, '17, 11:46am

So I finally, while watching Boy Meets World this weekend, beat Titan Souls after honestly forgetting about it on my Vita.

That said, there was a reason I forgot about it. There really isn't much of a story in this one; I get it, it's suppose to mimic Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus and have a vague story, but I mean it when I say I didn't really see anything resembling a story in this. You kill Titans. I will be getting into spoilers now, so be warned.
► Show Spoiler
The brilliance of Shadow and Dark Souls is that the item descriptions, world, and bosses all build to wrap into the story, and while yes the bosses do wrap into the narrative, there is very little in this game that builds an enjoyable and thoughtful gaming story.

Rolling, sprinting, and shooing/retrieving your arrow. That is what you have to work with against boss AI that can be quite annoying and irritating at times. The simple argument here would be the famous meme "git gud", and while some bosses are exactly this, the final couple before the true ending boss can be cumbersome and more frustrating than enjoyable to learn. That said, it was cool to kill a boss while retrieving the arrow. But me personally, I wish the game had a bit more variety to it overall. Especially with the style of boss battles there are; half the bosses feel too similar (Dark Souls 2 problems), and the overall environments didn't really feel, for lack of a better word, unique or interesting.

Sounding super negative right now, but honestly my opinion of this game is more positive than negative. The music was awesome, I liked the boss designs overall and I did like the Choose Your Shot concept that forced you to be careful and learn your opponent. Verdict: 6.5 out of 10.

why2bee
Unsung Hero
PSN: why2bee

Aug 07, '17, 12:22pm

Beat Sly Cooper Thieves in Time Last night (still cleaning up for the platinum)

7/10.

Loses points for:
- Ridiculously long load times
- Gimmicky motion sensor controlls
- Weaker cast of characters compared to Honor Among Thieves

Game play classic Sly and fun story. Recommend if you have a vita and can pick it up on the cheap, as I did during a sale.

II GTA FREEK II
Baller
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Rate the Last Game You Finished

Aug 11, '17, 12:18pm

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - A game I enjoyed but don't want to see repeated.

For me this game was a mixed bag. I had a hard time figuring out how to judge it. It's a $30 game that attempts to mimic the quality of a $60 game, and from what I can tell the development team isn't very big. So I'm not sure how to judge it, and whether or not I should be forgiving with certain things.

-Story, world building, and Senua herself
First off I will,p say that the game was much longer than I expected. It's not a very short game, so length wise I was very satisfied considering the price. Up until the ending I liked Senua, her condition, her story(past and present), and the world it is set in. It's definitely something on the unique side. The voices she hears help to make her character unique, but also add to gameplay. Her story and driving purpose were cool. And I liked the mythical world everything takes place in. It's the perfect mixture of fantasy and grounded elements for me. I mention not liking the ending because it wasn't satisfying for me. I don't feel as if I was given enough answers to things, and I don't understand the ending itself. I also don't think it was satisfying from a gameplay perspective.
► Show Spoiler

-Gameplay: Combat, puzzles, and environment traversal.
For me the gameplay was half great, and half boring. It's all very formulaic. Walk for a while, solve some puzzles, and fight a wave of people. That's what you do in video games sure, but this game made it all feel routine.

I really enjoyed the combat, though it has its issues. The enemies are all pretty similar and there are few options for fighting. It's all very repetitive. However it's the type of sword combat that I've been wanting in a game for a long time. Its not over the top hack and slash and it feels personal. There actually is a surprising amount of combinations that can be made with the three actions you have. Fast attack, slow attack, and melee. The run button can also be used with those too, and I had fun experimenting. It's repetitive but I made it enjoyable for myself.

Puzzle solving is something that I have never really enjoyed outside of the Portal games. And this game didn't win me over. A lot of the puzzles in the game are clever and have cool mechanics, but are not fun to actually solve. It's just not stimulating gameplay.

The rest of your time is spent traversing the environment, something that's also not very interesting. It's a a lot of walking and the occasional ladder, or small climb/short drop. Plus Senua is slow and that doesn't help.

-Environments, graphics, and visuals.
I understand graphics aren't everything, but a game like this needs to do a good job of looking good in order to sell me on its narrative. Plus I need to enjoy what I'm looking at. Senua herself is very well done. She feels real to me. The rest of the game not so much.

I found the actual design of the environments to be very bland and boring. A lot of rocks, grass and dirt, and simple structures. No pleasing art style, a lack of detail, and uninteresting locations. A lot of textures were also bad in my opinion. Most of the time I didn't find the game to be visually stimulating. I was also aware of a development trick they used when making the game. Senua is the only person given an in game model. Everyone else is actually real footage doctored a little bit. That made me start to notice a lot of other short cuts and things that were clearly done in order to save on money and time. For me that's not clever, but a lack of effort and ultimately a less quality game. The puzzles to me are also a sign of this.

As I said, I enjoyed my time with this game. I might have a lot of negative things to say about it, but I wasn't left feeling disappointed or completely upset with the game. The positives equally counter the negatives, leaving an okay game overall. I have plenty of personal gripes with it, and overall it's not that great. It's narrative and main character are well done, and I enjoyed the combat. The rest of its gameplay is okay, but not really fun. It's visuals are sometimes unappealing, and it stinks of a lack of budget and team size considering the fact that they are trying to mimic the quality of a $60 game. If this is what other games in this $30/AA title realm are going to be like, then I'd rather this be the last. It was an okay attempt.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Aug 12, '17, 8:40am

Saints Row IV - 10/10

Just brilliant. Absolutely fantastic game. The epitome of the terms 'fun' and 'video games'.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
Twitter: @The_Redback

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Aug 13, '17, 5:51pm

The_Redback wrote:Saints Row IV - 10/10

Just brilliant. Absolutely fantastic game. The epitome of the terms 'fun' and 'video games'.

Now here's a question. Did you enjoy it more than Saints Row The Third? Because I feel like I enjoyed the third game more. I loved both...but I just enjoyed my time with 3 a little more.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Aug 13, '17, 6:48pm

nicktorious_BLT wrote:
The_Redback wrote:Saints Row IV - 10/10

Now here's a question. Did you enjoy it more than Saints Row The Third? Because I feel like I enjoyed the third game more. I loved both...but I just enjoyed my time with 3 a little more.

I did enjoy it more than Saints Row 3. I think I really enjoyed the super power aspect.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
Twitter: @The_Redback

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Aug 13, '17, 6:58pm

The_Redback wrote:I did enjoy it more than Saints Row 3. I think I really enjoyed the super power aspect.

Hmm...that's funny because that's part of the reason why I like SR3 more than SR4. Although the super powers are cool and allow you to do some pretty boss-ass stuff, they kind of discouraged you from using vehicles to traverse the world. They gave you vehicles and such in SR4 but no incentive to use them. If anything they felt like a burden when you could literally just slingshot your way to where you need to go. It's a minor gripe I had with the game...but I guess there's such a thing as "too powerful."

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”