nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Why should US servers be plagued by Chinese cheaters?

Dec 27, '17, 12:40pm

I haven't played the game at all so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I am all for putting the cheaters on their own server.

BuffArms
Baller

Re: Why should US servers be plagued by Chinese cheaters?

Dec 27, '17, 1:22pm

MeatCake wrote:
BuffArms wrote:Preventing people playing cross region would A. end the Chinese cheating invasion,

"Chinese cheating invasion": Even if you omit any one of those three words, it is still a bigoted statement.

You people crack me up. If I have an issue with Chinese people its because of their actions, because of their culture which leads them to those actions. The guy the game is named after fully admits the cheating problem is almost entirely Chinese players. And he would know.

And it is cultural, and it pervades more than just gaming. Just look at their school situation. When they are not allowed to cheat in school parents protest, and students almost riot.
https://www.theatlantic.com/china/archi ... ls/277108/

It is not racial, I grew up in California, my high school was primarily Asian. Chinese Americans do not do this bullshit any more than other group of Americans. Because they were raised in a culture that does not tolerate it. That looks down upon it.

When the culture of one country is causing the vast majority of cheating in your game, walling that country off becomes the practical solution.
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

Valomek
Baller
PSN: Valomek

Dec 27, '17, 2:55pm

BetoJR wrote:Still seems like a heck of a public relations nightmare, to me. Like "lumping the bad eggs in with the good", and all that. But I don't play this thing, either.

Did not seem like a public relations nightmare, when Rockstar moved people to the "bad sports" servers on GTA V, so why would it be this time around ?

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Dec 27, '17, 4:11pm

BuffArms wrote:You people crack me up. If I have an issue with Chinese people its because of their actions, because of their culture which leads them to those actions. The guy the game is named after fully admits the cheating problem is almost entirely Chinese players. And he would know.

And it is cultural, and it pervades more than just gaming. Just look at their school situation. When they are not allowed to cheat in school parents protest, and students almost riot.
https://www.theatlantic.com/china/archi ... ls/277108/

It is not racial, I grew up in California, my high school was primarily Asian. Chinese Americans do not do this bullshit any more than other group of Americans. Because they were raised in a culture that does not tolerate it. That looks down upon it.

When the culture of one country is causing the vast majority of cheating in your game, walling that country off becomes the practical solution.

Looks like the Chinese are a bunch of Naruto fans...

Valomek wrote:
BetoJR wrote:Still seems like a heck of a public relations nightmare, to me. Like "lumping the bad eggs in with the good", and all that. But I don't play this thing, either.

Did not seem like a public relations nightmare, when Rockstar moved people to the "bad sports" servers on GTA V, so why would it be this time around ?

That's different from banishing an entire country to their own server. Rockstar did things on a case by case method.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

Valomek
Baller
PSN: Valomek

Dec 27, '17, 4:53pm

Raging Light wrote:
Valomek wrote:Did not seem like a public relations nightmare, when Rockstar moved people to the "bad sports" servers on GTA V, so why would it be this time around ?

That's different from banishing an entire country to their own server. Rockstar did things on a case by case method.

To be fair, the first part of what Frostilyte is talking about, starts out by saying that they could trap the cheaters and make them a cheater purgatory "Okay so they could either trap the cheaters in a cheater purgatory where they're all stuck in the same games as each other after they've been flagged, or relegate the entirety of China to a closed ecosystem."

Now its clear BetoJR has a focus on the second part, which is fine but it hardly won't be PR nightmare as China should be able to keep their own servers populated, if the amount of cheaters from China is making the game so bad for US and EU players.

Besides if Overwatch could do it, why should PUBG not be able to do it ?

BuffArms
Baller

Dec 27, '17, 6:36pm

Valomek wrote:Besides if Overwatch could do it, why should PUBG not be able to do it ?

I think the current reason is the game is not officially out in China. They just inked a publishing deal last month, and would have to make edits to the game to confirm to Chinese propaganda standards. (It doesnt have any! What are those dam capitalist pigs doing making a game without propaganda!)
https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/22/1669 ... tlegrounds

It possibly also could be because PUBG uses a cloud server model. So implementation in markets where cloud services are not as available could be problematic. They moved to Azure off AWS back in Oct. And Azure only has one server farm in the South East Asia region where Chinese players should theoretically be playing.

Ironically Azure has 3 server farms in China itself, so once Tencent launches the game there, if they use Azure that is, they could in theory have triple the server capacity for China alone.

So maybe this issue fixes itself when there is a China specific version out, which will not be playable cross region thanks to Communist Propaganda! Don't even cheaters prefer low ping?

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Dec 27, '17, 7:05pm

Frostilyte wrote:
Okay so they could either trap the cheaters in a cheater purgatory where they're all stuck in the same games as each other after they've been flagged, or relegate the entirety of China to a closed ecosystem. That'd probably kill the game off in China though, especially if the majority of the games cheaters are cited as coming from China.

Didn't Max Payne or Kane and Lynch or something do something like that? Cheaters were locked into a cheaters server?

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Dec 28, '17, 2:04am

This conversation is starting to veer uncomfortably toward the “racist” stuff one of the forum members did hint at, actually... I wonder why that is. Do cheaters only come from China and people from the US and UE not really cheat, I caught myself asking, this fine morn.

portilloIndeed

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Dec 28, '17, 2:36am

BetoJR wrote:This conversation is starting to veer uncomfortably toward the "racist" stuff one of the forum members did hint at, actually... I wonder why that is. Do cheaters only come from China and people from the US and UE not really cheat, I caught myself asking, this fine morn.

portilloIndeed

https://youtu.be/7z3826ICKvU

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Dec 28, '17, 3:59am

Raging Light wrote:https://youtu.be/7z3826ICKvU

I LOL'ed. Should I have? I shouldn't, should I?

NickNasty

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Jan 12, '18, 11:45am

Raging Light wrote:China is a country. The Chinese are it's citizens. Are you seriously suggesting that discussing a country's citizens in a negative way is bigotry? If so, I henceforth declare anything that is said negatively about Americans as pure bigotry.

You're absolutely right, and perhaps ahead of the game. Discrimination based on someone's nationality isn't protected in the USA as far as I know. It's even less recognized as an act of hatred or animosity. And yet in these times of fake news and propaganda (and Kotaku's yellow journalism), people decrying other countries (like how Donald Trump does) is bigotry and it's trying to vilify those people who call themselves Chinese, Haitian, Pakistani, Saudi, etc.

When I saw this topic, I wasn't thinking of Chinese as a race. Calling it racist is actually false. I was thinking of them as a nationality. And Chinese citizens include people of all colour and ethnicity, if you want to look into it. But the one thing they all have in common is their nationality.

When you institutionalize racist -- sorry, I meant nationalist -- policy, you're embracing a belief that people of another race -- I meant nation -- are inferior to yourself. And whether it is making them sit at the back of the bus, use separate washrooms, stay on the other side of some wall, or manipulate them to do your labour for next to nothing, then there's really no limit to the horrible things that you can do to them. Like to tell an entire nation that you're prepared to totally destroy them.
Put that flag down and lift up your neighbour instead

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Jan 12, '18, 4:42pm

MeatCake wrote:
Raging Light wrote:China is a country. The Chinese are it's citizens. Are you seriously suggesting that discussing a country's citizens in a negative way is bigotry? If so, I henceforth declare anything that is said negatively about Americans as pure bigotry.

You're absolutely right, and perhaps ahead of the game. Discrimination based on someone's nationality isn't protected in the USA as far as I know. It's even less recognized as an act of hatred or animosity. And yet in these times of fake news and propaganda (and Kotaku's yellow journalism), people decrying other countries (like how Donald Trump does) is bigotry and it's trying to vilify those people who call themselves Chinese, Haitian, Pakistani, Saudi, etc.

When I saw this topic, I wasn't thinking of Chinese as a race. Calling it racist is actually false. I was thinking of them as a nationality. And Chinese citizens include people of all colour and ethnicity, if you want to look into it. But the one thing they all have in common is their nationality.

When you institutionalize racist -- sorry, I meant nationalist -- policy, you're embracing a belief that people of another race -- I meant nation -- are inferior to yourself. And whether it is making them sit at the back of the bus, use separate washrooms, stay on the other side of some wall, or manipulate them to do your labour for next to nothing, then there's really no limit to the horrible things that you can do to them. Like to tell an entire nation that you're prepared to totally destroy them.

It's not bigotry if it's true. The overwhelming majority of the cheating is coming from China. We don't have to share the same servers if that demographic is causing problems for the rest of us. There is no law or decree that demands that we must allow the Chinese on our servers or be deemed bigots. This isn't comparable to racism. If a select group of people (lets use the KKK so you can understand my point) were causing the vast majority of trolling, unrest and racism in an online game, the developer would be justified in banning the whole group from playing their game. It doesn't matter if a few of the members didn't do anything since they're part of a self-selected group that DID do something. In this case we aren't even banning the whole group, we're separating the pool so they can continue to cheat amongst themselves.

Vices_9
Seducer
PSN: Vices_9

Why should US servers be plagued by Chinese cheaters?

Jan 13, '18, 2:18am

To answer the thread title, the servers do not have to be shared between China and the rest of the world. The developers have sovereignty to separate them if they like. From that conclusion we can incur that:

1. PUBG doesn’t see it as a problem.

2. PUBG hasn’t tackled that problem yet in development.

3. PUBG doesn’t WANT to wall off the experience of Chinese players in order to improve everyone else’s experience.

If I had to guess, it’s number 3 because they don’t want to lose momentum in China, an apparently huge PC market. Bad PR could ruin the game’s revenue channel.

Also, whoever suggests that walling off China from the rest of the world is racist should go sign up for a ResetEra account. You’d like the opinions of people there. This goes way beyond small minded accusations of racism. This is about improving the playing experience, let’s not conflate the two.

BuffArms
Baller

Jan 13, '18, 7:44pm

Recently there was an issue with the in-game currency, the developers response to it was met by many many players answering, "who cares, what are you going to do about the Chinese hackers".

I played 4 rounds today, 2 of them had a player running an aimbot with a Chinese name that was lagging seriously bad.

I stopped playing and went back to BF, at least there I can use a tank to kill the hackers!

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”