AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego
PSN: AirMcLaren

Kinda Funny Community GOTY 2016 | Winner Announced

Dec 31, '16, 12:19pm

Welcome to the Official Kinda Funny Community GOTY Thread!

Happy New Year, Best Friends! With 2016 officially under wraps, it's been another exciting year in video games! A lot of games were released, but which was your Game of the Year? After two weeks of voting, the Best Friends have spoken. I'd like to thank everyone that voted. It was quite the turnout. Next year we will try to coordinate more effectively among the different community segments and leaders so the poll can reach even more Best Friends!

Without further ado, you have chosen...

The Nominees

! Message from: AirMcLaren
Special thanks to MannySJ, Xygie, ReubyJuice, and joeynoelle for their coordination efforts. Graphics provided by Tidal Town.
Twitter: @thechrismclaren
Battle.net: AirMcLaren#1687
Discord: AirMcLaren#6427

Mr_Jetton
Unsung Hero

Re: Official Kinda Funny Community GOTY 2016 Thread

Dec 31, '16, 12:37pm

So my three picks are Uncharted 4, Watch Dogs 2, and DOOM. I would also like to give a special shout out to Ratchet & Clank as well.

vivalavita
Pure One
PSN: xX-Gamerpower-Xx

Official Kinda Funny Community GOTY 2016 Thread

Dec 31, '16, 1:01pm

It's between Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3, and Doom for me. It's hard for me to make a definitive choice because of each of the games flaws. Uncharted 4 is only amazing if you played all the other games, Dark Souls 3 to me felt like a lot of fan service rather than expanding the gameplay or area variety, and Doom for me felt a bit too long. It might be that I'm constantly dying on nightmare, but how many times did I have to go back to hell before it wrapped up? Anyways, don't wanna sound too negative, as these games positives really outweigh the negatives.

JRV
Baller

Dec 31, '16, 1:22pm

My game of the year Fire Emblem wasn't nominated so I will skip voting but of the ones nominated I would have to go Overwatch.

Brannox

Dec 31, '16, 1:54pm

I voted for Uncharted 4, DOOM, and Ratchet & Clank. The only other two games from 2016 I completed, TItanfall 2 and Inside, were average and underwhelming, respecitively, personally.

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Dec 31, '16, 1:56pm

Having a hard time choosing between what is my favourite game and what I think is the best game I played this year.

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Dec 31, '16, 2:03pm

Well... Final Fantasy XV managed to swiftly take the top spot away from Uncharted 4, something I thought no game would manage to do this year, so... That's how this went.

I highly doubt the vote will go that way, tho. :kinda

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Dec 31, '16, 2:50pm

Out of the games I've played, the top 3 on that list for me are Uncharted 4, Inside, and Watch Dogs 2.

MannySJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Dec 31, '16, 4:23pm

JRV wrote:My game of the year Fire Emblem wasn't nominated so I will skip voting but of the ones nominated I would have to go Overwatch.

There were a TON of deserving games this year, so we couldn't get everything on the list. That's why we have the write-in option. portilloKevin

Dukeofdemons
Best Friend
PSN: dukeofdemons

Dec 31, '16, 5:22pm

Mine changes between Stardew Valley and DS3. I wish at the time I rented Doom that I wasn't so busy because I hear a lot of good things about it. Hopefully I'll get to really sink my teeth into it.
"Inhale deep like the words of my breath. I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death. "

Shuklar
Producer

Dec 31, '16, 8:29pm

1) Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
2) Dishonored 2
3) Stardew Valley

JRV
Baller

Dec 31, '16, 10:46pm

MannySJ wrote:
JRV wrote:My game of the year Fire Emblem wasn't nominated so I will skip voting but of the ones nominated I would have to go Overwatch.

There were a TON of deserving games this year, so we couldn't get everything on the list. That's why we have the write-in option. portilloKevin

I understand that not ever game will make the list of nominees, and i know my game choice isn't mainstream which is fine. No wiorries on any of that =) though I could make a hell of an argument that FE is better than some on the list it isn't my list, which is fine too. Also I went to try out the vote and didn't see an option for write in. Now, I am not the smartest or close so it could be my idioticy but when I checked didn't see it, so I will abstain from voting respectfully.

Brotherhood93
Greg's Ego
PSN: M_O_T1919

Jan 01, '17, 3:51am

The Witness and Uncharted 4 are the two standouts. Both excellent for completely different reasons but no other games really came close for me and the other games on the list aren't too shabby.

GregB
Baller

Jan 01, '17, 7:25am

The Witness
Doom
Uncharted 4

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego

Jan 01, '17, 8:16am

Sadly, I'm always about a year behind in playing my games. I played two games on this list, and only completed one of them. I got the platinum for Uncharted 4. I also played Pokemon Sun until my team was mid 30's, then got busy and haven't returned.
Twitter: @thechrismclaren
Battle.net: AirMcLaren#1687
Discord: AirMcLaren#6427

packerman120
Unsung Hero
XBL: ThePiOverlord
PSN: ThePiOverlord111
Steam: thepiking

Jan 01, '17, 12:34pm

My top 3 if I could choose all games was Titanfall 2, Uncharted 4, and Hitman, but two of those weren't on there, so I just went for Uncharted 4, Battlefield 1, and Watch Dogs 2. All great games.

One-Shot
Management
Management
XBL: OneIShot
PSN: OnelShot
Steam: One-Shot

Jan 01, '17, 1:09pm

Really it's between Uncharted 4 and FFXV for me. In the end though I choose U4 just because of what that series mean to me and that it ended perfectly. FFXV did have it's plot issues which is important to me, but still enjoyed it regardless. Picked Overwatch as my third.
"I don't know what it means to be the water man" - Colin Moriarty

RydogV
Unsung Hero
XBL: RydogV
PSN: RydogV
NNID: RydogV

Jan 01, '17, 1:19pm

Well two of my top 5 were represented (Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank), so they got my votes. The other 3 that rounded out my list were:

Quantum Break
The Last Guardian
Telltale's Batman

So shoutout to those. So many great games in 2016. Looking forward to Horizon, Ghost Recon, Mass Effect and Destiny 2 this year!!
RydogV on all Platforms and Twitter 8-)

LukeB
Unsung Hero
Position/Title: Writer at NZGamer.com
XBL: Spock tM
PSN: Spock-tM

Jan 01, '17, 2:10pm

Wow... Only 1 game in the list of Nominees made it into my Top 3, and it was Third.

3: Uncharted 4
2: Gears of War 4
1: Tyranny

I don't feel comfortable voting for Uncharted - or any other game on that list to be honest, because they just aren't GotY worthy to me :( I think I have to abstain.
Xbox Live: Spock tM -- PSN: Spock-tM -- Steam ID: LukeB4tt -- Patreon: Luke Batt -- Twitter: LukeB4tt -- Google+/YouTube: Luke Batt -- DeviantArt: Lukebatt -- Twitch: Lukebatt -- Other: LukeB Cheers for the sig idea Xyger1337!

SF5_Aqua
Pure One
PSN: TR_Deadpool

Jan 01, '17, 9:30pm

My game of the year is Overwatch.

One of my favorite games growing up was Unreal Tournament 2004. I loved that fast paced arena combat with different game modes to operate in. I've been craving for a game like that for a while now. After completing the first game of Overwatch in beta, I felt like I was able to find that gameplay experience. Each character brought a unique playstyle that has kept me playing for hours. A game that makes me want to keep playing for hours and hours on end earns my game of the year.

Honorable mentions:
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Watch Dogs 2
The Witness

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”