Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Re: Official Kinda Funny Community GOTY 2016 Thread

Jan 02, '17, 11:19am

I was torn between Uncharted and The Witness, but decided to give my vote to The Witness. Uncharted was my favourite game but it has some imperfections, The Witness has significantly less. I appreciated a modern video game treating me with intelligence rather than kid gloves for a change. The game only does one thing, but it does it outstandingly well.

Watch Dogs 2 was fun and has a very strong open world, but I don't think it's GOTY worthy. Ratchet & Clank was great fun too.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Jan 03, '17, 5:32pm

From that list I went with Doom, Overwatch and Stardew Valley. All of them are great games that are well deserving of praise.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

Dukeofdemons
Best Friend
PSN: dukeofdemons

Official Kinda Funny Community GOTY 2016 Thread

Jan 05, '17, 6:59am

#1 Stardew Valley and I'm still not close to beating it. #2 Overwatch If you can party up with friends then this game is a blast. #3 DS3 Better then DS2.
"Inhale deep like the words of my breath. I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death. "

Kozibear
Producer
PSN: kozinawesome
NNID: Kozinawesome

Jan 05, '17, 7:48am

Having only extensively played Uncharted 4 and Pokemon GO (and being somewhat disappointed with the former), I don't feel qualified to vote.

I will say that, while I'm not voting for Pokemon GO this year, I'm intently looking forward to seeing how the title evolves over the course of the next few months; if enough new depth and content is introduced to the Metagame, I wouldn't be surprised to see nominating it again at this time of the year next year.
I write for Pardon The Gamer, a gaming blog run by myself and some Best Friends.
Check it out!

I also write for GVMERS, a YouTube channel that produces documentary videos on cancelled and forgotten games. Check it out as well!

Image[/url]

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums
Steam: Frostilyte

Jan 05, '17, 9:07am

None of the 6 games I played that were released thislast year that are on there and I don't really see the point of writing them in as I'd likely be the only one to vote for them so...
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog
Steam: Frostilyte
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Sanjiv
Producer
PSN: Sanjiv333

Jan 05, '17, 9:16am

After watching the Kinda Funny GOTY video, and reading the hateful comments. I wanted to share my sense in a rational manner.

First off Uncharted 4 is an amazing game, Naughtydog pushes the limits of presentation with their attention to detail, and tells great stories. I'm fairly new to the Uncharted series because I played the Nathan Drake Collection in like February, but I thought Uncharted 4 does a great job and closing the series. However gameplay with the Naughtydog games has been its flaw for me. Coming from the Xbox 360 to PS4, I was a huge Gears of War fan and Gears has the best 3rd person shooting imo. So if your GOTY is Uncharted 4, I completely understand.

This next part I'm completely unqualified so take it with a grain of salt. I'm terrible at platformers I tried Limbo, I liked the art style and the story I'm not sure I understood it but I suck at the gameplay. Thus I haven't played Inside but I plan to do later on, from all the great things I'm hearing. Then for shooters, man has this year been a great year for shooters, but I stopped playing multiplayer games after I switched to PS4 because I wanted more solo game experiences. But the variety from Overwatch a super-smash bros type shooter for anyone, doesn't matter what play-style they choose because they can excel in it. Doom is the only one I played this year but the fast-paced, adrenaline pumping rush of killing demons is super fun. Battlefield 1 for all the people who wanted to go back to an older setting and great single player. Titanfall 2 added more content, progression and a campaign. COD: Infinite Warfare, still a really good shooter and an interesting campaign that I want to play. Again I'm not really qualified to talk about these games except for Doom, but if any of these were your GOTY I completely understand why.

For all the other games I'm missing Dark Soul 3, Watch Dogs 2, The Witness, XCOM 2, CIV6, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV, etc. It's amazing how many different great games there are for different genres for fans. My most anticipated game for 2016 was actually Deus Ex: Mankind Divided because I loved Human Revolution. But the game turned how to be disappointing in terms of its story because it looks like part of the game was cut for a sequel / DLC. Turns out the game I enjoyed the most was mostly likely Dishonored 2 because of it's level design and replayability.

Point is I didn't like the youtube comments of people saying "Oh sony fan boys of course its Uncharted 4", saying "Uncharted 4 is overrated", or saying "I'm glad Overwatch didn't win because its only multiplayer". Even though I found 2016 a little disappointing, I think everyone can agree that 2016 had a game for everyone regardless of your preference. It's okay if your favorite game didn't win GOTY because it's your favorite and that is what should matter. Just be respectful of other people's opinions. Thanks for reading and hopefully I didn't piss anyone off.

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego
PSN: AirMcLaren

Jan 05, '17, 9:28am

Feel free to share this thread's link through your personal Facebook, Twitter, etc.! Let's try to reach out to as much of the community as possible.

Thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10078#p180688
PSN: AirMcLaren
Twitter: @thechrismclaren
Battle.net: AirMcLaren#1687
Discord: AirMcLaren#6427

BlurTriX
Best Friend
PSN: BlurTriX
Steam: BlurTriX

Jan 05, '17, 9:38am

I chose Doom, Battlefield 1, and Overwatch. Three shooters that surprised me this year in a tough year for shooters.

dudeshot
Seducer
PSN: chickenlittle711

Jan 05, '17, 3:53pm

My top 5 were hitman, stardew valley, oxenfree, Uncharted 4 and hyper light drifter.
I also added vote for pokemon moon since that game was swell.

Eric_R_Miller
Best Friend
XBL: NHDrumline17
PSN: NHDrumline17
NNID: NHDrumline17

Jan 05, '17, 4:10pm

Just putting this out here, but Titanfall 2 was robbed by not being on here. Voted for Overwatch, Uncharted 4, and Titanfall 2 as a write in.
PSN: NHDrumline17
XBL: NHDrumline17
Nintendo Network: NHDrumline17

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Eric_R_Miller

PixelKnight
Best Friend
PSN: YumeKnight
NNID: Trackrise
Steam: Pixelknight

RE: Official Kinda Funny Community GOTY 2016 Thread

Jan 05, '17, 11:29pm

Final Fantasy XV for all its problems was the Final Fantasy game I hoped for, after the garbage that was 13, them giving us a Realm Reborn showing that they do genuinely care. I was 8 when this game was announced, and Damn it feels oh so good to play, everything surrounding it to was just wonderful, the movie (I liked it, its okay if you don't), the anime, the demos. I love Final Fantasy and I love this new world and modern take on it.

The Good Sir
Pure One
PSN: The_Good_Sir

Jan 06, '17, 11:07am

My Top 3 GOTY (in no particular order)

- Inside
- The Witness
- Uncharted 4

Farsendor
Unsung Hero

Jan 06, '17, 3:05pm

Out of the Titles I could vote for I chose Uncharted, Dark Souls and Final Fantasy 15.

KiLLz4TwinKies
Unsung Hero
XBL: KiLLz4TwinKiez
PSN: KiLLz4TwinKies

Jan 07, '17, 2:23pm

Gears 4
Uncharted 4
FFXV

Shoutout to Ratchet and Clank...

I just started playing and loving it, first game to deliver Pixar quality animation on console (ps4 pro)

fireb4llz
Unsung Hero
XBL: fireb4lls
PSN: ffireb4llz
NNID: fireb4llz
Steam: fireb4llz

Jan 07, '17, 3:23pm

Considering this is a playstation centric community, there's zero chance this wont be Uncharted 4.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Jan 07, '17, 6:16pm

fireb4llz wrote:Considering this is a playstation centric community, there's zero chance this wont be Uncharted 4.

Not necessarily. I do think it's a front-runner, but games like Overwatch also have a pretty good chance of winning in my opinion.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jan 07, '17, 6:28pm

fireb4llz wrote:Considering this is a playstation centric community, there's zero chance this wont be Uncharted 4.

I wouldn't count on it.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Jan 08, '17, 3:16am

I still need to play Fire Emblem Fates, Inside, and Dark Souls 3, but I won't get to them in quite some time. So I'm voting for Uncharted 4 and Overwatch.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

niliuscofc
Baller
PSN: niliuscofc

Jan 08, '17, 4:31am

I only played one of these games -- Uncharted 4.
To grind, or not to grind...

cheapbossattack
Pure One
Position/Title: Editor at Cheap Boss Attack
XBL: amgfail
PSN: pepperedsnoot

Jan 09, '17, 3:38pm

Final Fantasy XV was the most enjoyable game I played this year, although I'll agree that it definitely feels like a story shredded to bits over its 10-year stay in development hell. I still really loved what we got though. I also really, really enjoyed the story and character building in The Last Guardian, but tossed my other two votes in to Inside and Doom, which were both incredible.
PSN: PepperedSnoot
Xbox Live: amgfail
Wii U: CheapBossAttack
WoW Battletag: Abigore#1141
Twitter: @cheapbossattack

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”