Jiggy
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BuGied
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/j

Was 2016 a great year for Japanese Role-playing games?

Jan 10, '17, 12:45pm

There were quite a lot of JRPGs that released this year. From the long awaited Final Fantasy XV and Wii U's Tokyo Mirage Sessions to smaller titles like Bravely Second, Dragon Quest 7, Odin Sphere and World of Final Fantasy. Was this the year the JRPG made a steady comeback? And will we see the genres growth continue in the future? I sure as hell hope so, but what do you guys and girls think? I think we saw a big increase in Japanese titles coming to the West and it seems like the claim that the genre is coming back isn't wrong.
PlayStation ID: Bugied
YouTube - Link

CinciBoiler
Baller
PSN: Izzyrules

Re: Was 2016 a great year for Japanese Role-playing games?

Jan 10, '17, 3:11pm

I think it was a pretty good year, and JRPGs certainly seem to have some momentum going into this year. I'd also add I Am Setsuna and Saturday Morning RPG to the list as some smaller JRPGs that found an audience.

Looks like 2017 will treat us well, with Persona 5, Tales of Berseria, Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age as big JRPGs coming out. Hopefully we also get Cosmic Star Heroine and some other smaller JRPGs hitting as well. We should be getting more news on Final Fantasy VII remake, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Ni No Kuni 2. And finally, hopefully we get some surprises at the Final Fantasy 30th anniversary ceremony later this month. Fingers crossed for some of the older games being ported to PS4!
Twitter: CinciBoiler

JRV
Baller

Jan 10, '17, 3:37pm

I personally think that 2016 was pretty good, but I think 2017 is going to be much better of a year for JRPGs than last year. Also thought not always considered a jrpg, FE Fates came out last year. You have the big games, Persona 5, Tales of Berseria, and maybe Dragon Quest 11. Then you have the remakes of FF12 and DQ8 coming out. As well as whatever else they have for this year. I think things are looking better at the moment then the have for a while.

MannySJ
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Jan 10, '17, 4:06pm

Echoing the sentiment that 2016 was good and 2017 will be even better.

I'm just happy that the genre is looking strong again. The PS3 generation was incredibly lacking in quality JRPGs. Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xillia are the only great ones that come to mind.

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

Jan 10, '17, 4:49pm

If we somehow get Ni No Kuni 2 and Persona within the same year here in the US...then 2016 will be good while 2017 will be amazing

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Jan 10, '17, 5:42pm

2017 looks insane. Don't even know how I'll afford to keep up.

DQ 8, DQ 11, Persona 5, Tales of Berseria, Ni No Kuni II and Digimon: Next Order.

I think Ni No Kuni II & DQ 11 may get delayed though. Even without them it would still be a great year.
THE END OF AN ERA

Keltigon (PSN)
Captain Hogwash (Twitch Chat)
@CreatureLives (Twitter)

CinciBoiler
Baller

Jan 10, '17, 7:00pm

Jay wrote:I think Ni No Kuni II & DQ 11 may get delayed though. Even without them it would still be a great year.

Pretty sure Ni No Kuni 2 doesn't even have a release date...so technically it can't get delayed yet. That being said, I don't anticipate it coming out this year. I think its more of a spring 2018 game. I think we hear about it at E3 and that's probably when it gets a release window, with the actual confirmed date at PSX. Its possible it could come out in the late holiday season 2017 if its ready tho, especially if Sony needs an exclusive for that time period.

Jiggy
Shadow Boxer

Jan 10, '17, 7:03pm

Jay wrote:2017 looks insane. Don't even know how I'll afford to keep up.

DQ 8, DQ 11, Persona 5, Tales of Berseria, Ni No Kuni II and Digimon: Next Order.

I think Ni No Kuni II & DQ 11 may get delayed though. Even without them it would still be a great year.

I think Ni No Kuni will make the deadline seeing as they kept quiet about the game, which seems like a good sign since they're probably ready to release it this year. DQ11 will probably only make it to Japan this year.
YouTube - Link

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Jan 11, '17, 4:59am

CinciBoiler wrote:
Jay wrote:I think Ni No Kuni II & DQ 11 may get delayed though. Even without them it would still be a great year.

Pretty sure Ni No Kuni 2 doesn't even have a release date...so technically it can't get delayed yet. That being said, I don't anticipate it coming out this year. I think its more of a spring 2018 game. I think we hear about it at E3 and that's probably when it gets a release window, with the actual confirmed date at PSX. Its possible it could come out in the late holiday season 2017 if its ready tho, especially if Sony needs an exclusive for that time period.

Could have sworn it was given a 2017 release date but no actual date to hit. I don't even think it'll hit 2017. We've just seen so little and they couldn't even commit to something like "Fall 2017" or something like that.
THE END OF AN ERA

Keltigon (PSN)
@CreatureLives (Twitter)

SorryWeAre0_o
Baller
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Jan 11, '17, 5:32am

Jay wrote:
CinciBoiler wrote:

Could have sworn it was given a 2017 release date but no actual date to hit. I don't even think it'll hit 2017. We've just seen so little and they couldn't even commit to something like "Fall 2017" or something like that.

Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom? At the end of the PSX trailer last year it said 2017 (At 1:39 in the video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZNmEJgXCE

CinciBoiler
Baller

Jan 11, '17, 5:48am

SorryWeAre0_o wrote:
Jay wrote:
CinciBoiler wrote:Pretty sure Ni No Kuni 2 doesn't even have a release date...so technically it can't get delayed yet. That being said, I don't anticipate it coming out this year. I think its more of a spring 2018 game. I think we hear about it at E3 and that's probably when it gets a release window, with the actual confirmed date at PSX. Its possible it could come out in the late holiday season 2017 if its ready tho, especially if Sony needs an exclusive for that time period.

Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom? At the end of the PSX trailer last year it said 2017 (At 1:39 in the video below).

Thanks, I stand corrected. That being the case, I still think it'll be more of a spring 2018 game, but holding out hope for winter 2017.

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Jan 11, '17, 7:41am

I'd be okay with Ni No Kuni being delayed even if it's something I want bad. Just so much being released this year and then if we don't get many JRPGs next year we'll have at least that to look forward to.
THE END OF AN ERA

Keltigon (PSN)
@CreatureLives (Twitter)

Jiggy
Shadow Boxer

Jan 11, '17, 7:46am

I think Ni No Kuni 2 has a good chance of hitting the 2017 release window, probably holiday 2017.
YouTube - Link

Shuklar
Producer

Jan 11, '17, 9:01am

I enjoyed Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth from last year.

Jiggy
Shadow Boxer

Jan 11, '17, 10:59am

Shuklar wrote:I enjoyed Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth from last year.

The new game seems to be a bit different compared to Cyber Sleuth I believe I read.
YouTube - Link

Wildblood
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
PSN: Danaxus82

Jan 12, '17, 7:00am

It was the best year for JRPGs in recent memory...but falls far short of the golden age during the SNES/PS1 era. We had some truly epic years back then. So I kinda hesitate to call it a "great" year.

Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

Jan 13, '17, 2:58am

Wildblood wrote:It was the best year for JRPGs in recent memory...but falls far short of the golden age during the SNES/PS1 era. We had some truly epic years back then. So I kinda hesitate to call it a "great" year.

Hipster

Wildblood
PSN: Danaxus82

Jan 13, '17, 3:28am

Eve Narlieth wrote:Hipster

Frosti's the hipster - I'm just old and nostalgic ;-)