Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Steam: Frostilyte

Game that disappointed you the most in 2016

Jan 10, '17, 7:26pm

Hi all,

Asked a few friends this and got a few different answers, but I'd like to know what game disappointed you the most this past year. Doesn't have to be a game that came out last year, but it does have to be something you played last year. It can be something you were looking forward to that didn't meet your expectations or something that you played and simply couldn't enjoy.

For me it was Overwatch. Yes that game so many people enjoyed. I played about 12 hours of it across 2 different beta periods on PC and it just never clicked with me. I really like the look of it artistically, I really enjoyed the animated shorts, and I adore the personality and charm that were put into each character. Despite this I just couldn't seem to enjoy playing the actual game. I was really looking forward to it, but after 2 separate attempts to get into the game and failing to do so I ultimately didn't purchase the game and felt rather disappointed.

So, what was your biggest gaming disappointment in 2016 and what exactly about it was so disappointing? :kinda
Frost-Tea-Light
Steam: Frostilyte
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

JRV
Baller

Re: Game that disappointed you the most in 2016

Jan 10, '17, 8:11pm

Well, I was rather happy with most of the games I played, so there is only one game that I can think of that I was disappointed with. this year.

After hearing about how great telltale games are, and how great batman was as a game, I decided to give it a shot, and see how awesome it would be to play. Honestly, I have to say this game did disappoint me. I found the game's camera to be rather bad, the detective parts to be bland, and so many quick time events that were just not that great, and not fun. Overall, I found this game to be extremely disappointing, and easily make it my choice for most disappointing game of the year.

II GTA FREEK II
Shadow Boxer
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Jan 10, '17, 10:18pm

Home front The Revolution. God awful game. I hate to say that because lots of people worked on it, but man was it just fucking terrible. I barely gave it an hour. Wish I could get a refund. Other than that I had a good year with games.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

dizzeekid
Pure One
PSN: DizzeePK803
Steam: DizzeeDX

Jan 11, '17, 12:04am

I disappointed myself thinking I would overcome all the flaws of Street Fighter V and enjoy the game. Nope. I love fighting games but have never payed attention to the Street Fighter series, so SFV was my entry point. Watching videos of SFV made me want to play it, but once I got the game, it didn't stick with me. I had a hard time pulling off the combos and links, I could really feel the input delay, and I just was not having fun. I've had more enjoyment watching the game be played than playing it myself.
old account tho...

stratogustav
Baller
Position/Title: Contributor at CGR
XBL: stratogustav
PSN: stratogustav
Steam: stratogustav

Re: RE: Re: Game that disappointed you the most in 2016

Jan 11, '17, 2:07am

dizzeekid wrote:I disappointed myself thinking I would overcome all the flaws of Street Fighter V and enjoy the game. Nope. I love fighting games but have never payed attention to the Street Fighter series, so SFV was my entry point. Watching videos of SFV made me want to play it, but once I got the game, it didn't stick with me. I had a hard time pulling off the combos and links, I could really feel the input delay, and I just was not having fun. I've had more enjoyment watching the game be played than playing it myself.

Sorry to hear that. I feel the game is superb. Out of other fighting games it is quite approachable.

It takes time to practice. It is like any other sport. You can't expect to be Daigo in a few months.

I feel the process is quite fun if you put your mind into it, that's up to each one and how they approach the game.

If you actually have fun playing it then you learn faster, but if it feels like chore then changing your mindset makes all the difference.

For more comfort food fighting games I recommend Western developed games like Mortal Kombat, Injustice, and Killer Instinct. Usually Western devs don't strive for sportiness as much, and are still very fun.

You can also look into arena fighters or casual 3D fighters like DOA, they can offer a lot of depth, but on the surface they don't demand as much skills.

Tekken 7 is coming out and that is another 3D fighter that can work both ways, you can have fun mashing buttons and if you want to get more into it, you have the option to go all the way to sport levels with it.

KOF, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, Marvel Vs. Capcom, etc., jump into the sportiness a lot faster, and unless you are playing with other entry level people, you'll need to play for a while to become competitive.

A good way to get used to the controls is completing the trials for every character. You don't have to memorize them, but it is a good way to learn timing with your inputs.

https://youtu.be/-PyzKzuSie0

Farsendor
Unsung Hero

Jan 11, '17, 4:51am

I'm picking Star Ocean from the characters to the gameplay thae game never clicked.

Lacky39
Best Friend

Jan 11, '17, 4:59am

The TechnoMancer, shouldn't have expect much due gameplay videos. But gameplay is terrible. I haven't finished the first chapter it's that bad.

I'll finish the game one day.

AirMcLaren
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: AirMcLaren

Jan 11, '17, 6:18am

My dad.

Oh you said game.
PSN: AirMcLaren
Twitter: @thechrismclaren
Battle.net: AirMcLaren#1687
Discord: AirMcLaren#6427

AngelBoulgary
Pure One
Position/Title: Finance Analyst
XBL: angelboulgary
PSN: bombs_away00

Jan 11, '17, 6:46am

I'm going to get hate for this and is not because it was bad just bcuz my expectation was off the roof. Uncharted 4. It was all right, story was good, game play was good. It was just a good game but not this amazing game like The Last of Us.

And again, I'm not saying it was a bad game but just disappointed bcuz of the hype that it had but in the end just a good game overall..

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Jan 11, '17, 7:18am

Probably The Division. Now initiially, I liked it. It was fun getting my friends together to run the story missions. However, once it was opened up to just the Dark Zone and rerunning story missions at higher levels, the flaws started to be really apparent. From the glitches, the broken gameplay, and just how frustrating the Dark Zone could be dealing with asshole players, I just gave up on that game.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

Valomek
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Valomek

Jan 11, '17, 7:56am

Like most other year, I have not be disappointed since I have so low expectations to all games being released, and since I know what game I like to begin with, I won't go out of my way to make a gamble on some game like No Man's Sky, Uncharted 4, Tomb Raider, Dishonored 2, Mafia 3 and Watch Dogs 2. I know I won't enjoy playing them, so why buy them to begin with.

So sorry can't pick a game, I myself have played. But I can say I'm disappointed in Uncharted 4, being more of the same old bad gameplay from Naughty Dog.

AngelBoulgary wrote:I'm going to get hate for this and is not because it wa<zs bad just bcuz my expectation was off the roof. Uncharted 4. It was all right, story was good, game play was good. It was just a good game but not this amazing game like The Last of Us.

I kinda love you now, but at the same time I have to hate you a bit because, you said The Last of Us was amazing
Are you lonely?

Littleraven89
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Savagechild89

Jan 11, '17, 8:08am

I actually don't think any game really disappointed me this year. I only really bought and played games I already knew I was going to like. Some games I enjoyed less than I thought I was going to but still got some enjoyment out of them.

Games keep coming to mind for me and they were all 2015 games lol.

A7X458
Seducer

Jan 11, '17, 8:10am

The division - the game was fun until i learned what the term bullet sponge means so i stopped playing.
PSN: A7X458
Xbox Live:A7X458
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Jonnyboy6607
Portillo's Mouth Noises
PSN: Jonnyboy6607

Jan 11, '17, 8:15am

Mafia 3 broke me. I will never preorder again.

AngelBoulgary
Pure One
Position/Title: Finance Analyst
XBL: angelboulgary
PSN: bombs_away00

Jan 11, '17, 8:35am

No problem. What got me of The Last of Us was the story. I tough it was unexpected. I played it years later so i didn't get caught in the hype of that.

Valomek wrote:Like most other year, I have not be disappointed since I have so low expectations to all games being released, and since I know what game I like to begin with, I won't go out of my way to make a gamble on some game like No Man's Sky, Uncharted 4, Tomb Raider, Dishonored 2, Mafia 3 and Watch Dogs 2. I know I won't enjoy playing them, so why buy them to begin with.

So sorry can't pick a game, I myself have played. But I can say I'm disappointed in Uncharted 4, being more of the same old bad gameplay from Naughty Dog.

AngelBoulgary wrote:I'm going to get hate for this and is not because it wa<zs bad just bcuz my expectation was off the roof. Uncharted 4. It was all right, story was good, game play was good. It was just a good game but not this amazing game like The Last of Us.

I kinda love you now, but at the same time I have to hate you a bit because, you said The Last of Us was amazing

isturbo1984
Best Friend

Jan 11, '17, 8:37am

Uncharted 4. A decent game in the end, but as it currently stands, it has the biggest gap in between what I was hoping it was going to be and what it actually turned out to be. It was a glorified walking simulator with un-fail-able platforming "challenges" and dumbed down combat from the last games.

Brannox
Producer
Position/Title: None, but it is my dream .
XBL: LocustHunter17
PSN: Phoenix-Flyer_7

Jan 11, '17, 10:23am

For me, it was Inside.

Throughout the course of the game I was having a decent time, not really being disappointed, but not really seeing it as this "Oh my god it's fantastic!" experience I was sold on (I have a terrible track record getting games because of consensus conflicting with my gut). What really shifted it for me was

► Show Spoiler

For me, it felt like a break from the internal consistency that was established. That last 30-45 minutes kind of retroactively made me dislike the previous 4 or 5 ish hours.

► Show Spoiler

Ah well. To each their own.
Game honest, fair, and together.

Tardis1982
Baller

Jan 11, '17, 11:49am

Nothing really on its own but 2016 on its own was disappointing for game releases all together.
PSN Tardis632
XBL Figment632
NID Tardis1982
STM Tardis1982

SorryWeAre0_o
Baller
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Jan 11, '17, 12:31pm

The two that standout for me were No Man's Sky & The Division, although I think No Man's Sky is clearly a much worse game & if I had to choose I'd give it to that. I was actually having a blast with The Division, playing daily for the best part of a month with friends. The problem came when I reached the end game, or lack therefore of one. Then to add insult to injury the majority of the player base glitched the PVE activities which ruined the PVP.

No Man's Sky was okay for about an hour or two.

nicktorious_BIG
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Jan 11, '17, 12:42pm

No Mans Sky is definitely a game that fits the description. I went into the game with some high expectations (that was my fault), buying the limited edition and everything. I can't say I regret getting the limited edition because it does look pretty cool on my shelf. However, the game itself managed to fall short in many ways. There were some cool things in the beginning that made the game novel, but these things quickly started to grow stale and the game's main gameplay loop started to get real boring. The variety in the planets just wasn't there and the same goes for the creatures inhabiting these planets as well as the buildings and ruins that you find. I only ended up playing 10-15 hours of the game (which is still a lot) but I got nowhere near the middle of the universe...nor do I really care to find out what was waiting there.

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”