The_Redback
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Re: Game that disappointed you the most in 2016

Jan 11, '17, 1:14pm

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture - I had heard people saying good things about this game so I thought I would give it a go. Dear god, I have had more fun watching paint dry. I just found it really boring.

Dark Souls 3 - Never played a souls game before. Loaded it up, played for quite a while but same as above I just found it really boring an monotonous. It wasn't difficult or anything, just bland and boring.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
Twitter: @The_Redback

nicktorious_BIG
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Jan 11, '17, 1:33pm

The_Redback wrote:Everybody's Gone To The Rapture - I had heard people saying good things about this game so I thought I would give it a go. Dear god, I have had more fun watching paint dry. I just found it really boring.

I didn't play it last year, but I still have to agree. This was a pretty disappointing game. The story that they were trying to tell just felt uninspired and really started to drag. The way they presented it didn't help either.

MisterStuart27
Producer
PSN: Konshentz

Jan 11, '17, 2:11pm

Umbrella Corps.

I mean, I was pretty confident it was going to be a giant turd but man, it ended up being waaaaaay worse than I could've possibly imagined. I hope everyone that worked on that game was fired and blackballed. Kidding, of course. Yuck.

Sanjiv
Producer
PSN: Sanjiv333

Game that disappointed you the most in 2016

Jan 11, '17, 4:07pm

Easily Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for me. This was my most anticipated game heading into 2016, because of how much I enjoyed Deus Ex: Human Revolution. There was 5 years in between the two games and Mankind Divided still felt incomplete. Part of it could be because Square Enix wanted to cut the game short in order to get a sequel out faster or release parts as DLC. For example "System Rift" the first story related DLC came out like within 4 weeks of the game's initial launch, which feels very shady imo.

Also the "Breach" mode in the game I think is pointless. I don't think anyone was asking for leader-boards/ time trials for the game to test our skill. This was just a feature added to shoe-horn microtransactions in the game, and this game is a single player game not multiplayer. I wish the developers spent time working on the actual game than this throw away feature. Lastly the microtransactions in the game like buying extra Praxis points or Credits only works for one play-through which is quite ridiculous. I just hope they don't do this for other sequels in the Deus Ex franchise.

Transfigurations
Producer

Jan 11, '17, 4:28pm

Mighty No.9

The levels are bland, the graphics aren't really impressive, the bosses/patterns are uninspiring, and good god, do I hate all the voice acting.

I'm glad I found a copy for $6. I wouldn't pay anything over $10 for that game.

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Steam: Frostilyte

Jan 11, '17, 4:40pm

AirMcLaren wrote:My dad.

FailFish

Valomek wrote:Like most other year, I have not be disappointed since I have so low expectations to all games being released, and since I know what game I like to begin with, I won't go out of my way to make a gamble on some game like No Man's Sky, Uncharted 4, Tomb Raider, Dishonored 2, Mafia 3 and Watch Dogs 2. I know I won't enjoy playing them, so why buy them to begin with.

Given the various posts of yours I've read through I'm not surprised. I wish I was at this level of fully understanding my own taste with games, but I'm not quite there. I grew up on Nintendo stuff and only "recently" switched over to PC, which gave me a much wider array of games styles and genres to try. As a result part of what I play is "hmm...this looks interesting", or "I wonder what all the hype is about".

Sanjiv wrote:Also the "Breach" mode in the game I think is pointless. I don't think anyone was asking for leader-boards/ time trials for the game to test our skill. This was just a feature added to shoe-horn microtransactions in the game, and this game is a single player game not multiplayer. I wish the developers spent time working on the actual game than this throw away feature. Lastly the microtransactions in the game like buying extra Praxis points or Credits only works for one play-through which is quite ridiculous. I just hope they don't do this for other sequels in the Deus Ex franchise.

Apparently the feature was slap dashed in at the last minute (last few months of development) on a request from Sqenix execs. Given they are the publisher for the game I'm doubtful you'll see this trend go anywhere...it's more likely to increase. DansGame

Also, wanted to thank those of you who've replied so far, with the exception of bossman who shit posted. :P
I've rather enjoyed reading through your responses thus far and I was pleasantly surprised to see the bulk of you articulating the reason behind why the game you selected was disappointing to you.
Frost-Tea-Light
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Sanjiv
Producer
PSN: Sanjiv333

Jan 11, '17, 5:14pm

Frostilyte wrote:
Sanjiv wrote:Also the "Breach" mode in the game I think is pointless. I don't think anyone was asking for leader-boards/ time trials for the game to test our skill. This was just a feature added to shoe-horn microtransactions in the game, and this game is a single player game not multiplayer. I wish the developers spent time working on the actual game than this throw away feature. Lastly the microtransactions in the game like buying extra Praxis points or Credits only works for one play-through which is quite ridiculous. I just hope they don't do this for other sequels in the Deus Ex franchise.

Apparently the feature was slap dashed in at the last minute (last few months of development) on a request from Sqenix execs. Given they are the publisher for the game I'm doubtful you'll see this trend go anywhere...it's more likely to increase. DansGame

Yeah that's what I remember hearing from Jim Sterling's video from a while back. Unfortunately you're right about Square increasing this with micro transactions in like Rise of the Tomb Raider. Not everyone can be CD Projekt Red. But if they didn't cut a chunk of Deus Ex's story I would have been fine if they added this mode in because I know it's entirely optional and games are becoming more expensive for them.

I took a break from multiplayer games but thinking of getting into Overwatch but I read your post saying you didn't enjoy playing the actual game. Is there anything more specific to why, such as the gameplay, character types, maps, game modes, etc. ?
 ! Message from: Frostilyte
Hi, I snipped the content from the quote that wasn't contextually relevant to help reduce the size and keep the forums tidy. :)

nicktorious_BIG

Jan 11, '17, 5:53pm

Shower With Your Dad Simulator?

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Jan 11, '17, 6:36pm

Sanjiv wrote:I took a break from multiplayer games but thinking of getting into Overwatch but I read your post saying you didn't enjoy playing the actual game. Is there anything more specific to why, such as the gameplay, character types, maps, game modes, etc. ?

Hey don't let my opinion influence your's entirely. Tons of people here have played and really enjoyed the game and it was also quite a hit with several of my own friends.

My biggest problem with it was it didn't communicate feedback to the player well enough. In games where you're playing other people you aren't going to win every match. This is a given because if there are people on both sides someone has to lose. This tends to really bother me when I either can't understand why I lost or the game doesn't communicate to me how to improve at playing the game. Given information and guidance my enjoyment in the game isn't about winning - it becomes about getting better at the game, which increases the level of enjoyment I get out of a game. With Overwatch it wasn't ever clear to me how effectively I played my role. My friends said I was fine, but they always say I'm fine so that's not particularly good feedback. The game only ever communicates statistics for a few preset things such as objective time, healing done, and kills. None of this, however, directly tells you if you are or aren't doing a good job as your current character/role or demonstrate the context required to understand how to improve over several hours of play. I've had the same problem with Heroes of the Storm, which I stopped playing after some 300-400 hours playing the game. With that game I could at least tell I was improving, but it was no thanks to Blizzard.

So it mostly came down to me just not understanding how to play the game. Sure it's designed in a way that lets you just drop into it and have some good fun, but I have several other multiplayer games that I was and still am doing that with.

Did that help to further explain what I meant by the game not really clicking with me? I didn't want to write a mile long OP because the last time I did that very few people replied to the topic. XD
Frost-Tea-Light

II GTA FREEK II
Seducer
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Jan 11, '17, 7:17pm

The_Redback wrote:Dark Souls 3 - Never played a souls game before. Loaded it up, played for quite a while but same as above I just found it really boring an monotonous. It wasn't difficult or anything, just bland and boring.

This makes me sad, I wuv Dawk Shouls Twee. But to quote the turrets in Portal, I don't hate you.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

The_Redback

Jan 11, '17, 7:23pm

nicktorious_BIG wrote:

Shower With Your Dad Simulator?

Hey! This thread is about disappointing games, not games that are so good they deserve to be in the Smithsonian.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
Twitter: @The_Redback

themoose5
Pure One
PSN: biG_moose_5
Steam: themoose5

Jan 11, '17, 8:19pm

I think I got lucky with all the games I played this year. I don't think I was really disappointed by any games this year though I was late to the party on a few of them already mentioned in this thread.

Playing games like the Division after they release patches to fix a lot of the problems that people had in the first place helps to keep them off the disappointing list.
PSN: biG_moose_5
Steam: themoose5

GO HAWKS!
ImageImage

nicktorious_BIG

Jan 11, '17, 9:20pm

The_Redback wrote:
nicktorious_BIG wrote:Shower With Your Dad Simulator?

Hey! This thread is about disappointing games, not games that are so good they deserve to be in the Smithsonian.

I don't know...not enough dads imo

Kozibear
Unsung Hero
PSN: kozinawesome
NNID: Kozinawesome

Jan 11, '17, 10:18pm

Uncharted Quarto. I really enjoyed the game's opening chapters; I think that it does a good job of balancing non-combative chapters with strong emotion hooks (like the one in which Drake explores his house), with combative chapters that felt like a major evolution over what we had seen in previous games (Sam's escape from the prison). After the clock tower climb, however, I felt that the game dragged on waaaay too long, with too many repetitive enemy encounters and cliff-climbing segments, and a story that, while certainly not a direct copy of previous Uncharted games, struggled to explore anything we hadn't seen before. Sam, the game's major addition to the Uncharted mythos, ultimately felt like Drake was talking into a mirror at some points (which makes sense, considering that he's Drake's older brother - but still).

It's honestly incredibly frustrating, because the production values on Uncharted 4 are obviously second to none; the sound design, graphics, voice performances, animation, etc. are all top-notch - and yet, it all served a story and gameplay that felt gruellingly safe. Which is, when it gets down to it, probably why I was as disappointed by the game as I was in the end; the way that Naughty Dog's creative talent talked about the game prior to its release made it seem like the game was going to offer a truly different, deeper, darker experience to the past 3 Uncharted games, and (to a large extent) I really didn't feel like it was.

Interestingly, I also finally completed another much-hyped 4 this year, Metal Gear Solid 4 - and for all the issues that game has, with its redundant cutscenes, I feel like it absolutely succeeded in distinguishing itself from previous Metal Gear Solids, and be incredibly varied from a gameplay standpoint right up to its end.
I blog about things sometimes, as people my age do.
Check out these bloggings here!

Wildblood
PSN: Danaxus82

Jan 12, '17, 12:32am

All things Inti Creates. Mighty No.9 and Scalebound (even though I don't own an XB1, I wanted that to be good).
oh and Star Fox Zero I guess. I didn't buy any of these...but I wanted them to be better than they were.

vitzpatel
Shadow Boxer
PSN: vitz1985

Jan 12, '17, 1:01am

For me, it's Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

Seems like they missed the secret sauce that made the first game great. Sure it looked pretty in the Frostbite engine, but hiding all of Faith's cooler moves behind a skill tree was annoying.

Think this game could've done with another 6-12 months in the oven, don't think we'll ever get a another Mirror's Edge game.

Honorary shout out to No Man's Sky - much like PPI is was mis-sold on the promise. I kid, I knew what I was letting my self in for, its just in a universe where nothing is placed or designed in the traditional sense, (because everything is procedurally generated) whilst there is everything to find in this game, there's also nothing. The Atlas quest didn't move along quickly enough for me and the game could do with a lot more signposting once you start on the Atlas quest. I haven't played the game since the updates were released so I might go back and start the game again.
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

Raging Light
Baller
PSN: XDaimyo

Jan 12, '17, 1:42am

Frostilyte wrote:Hi all,

Asked a few friends this and got a few different answers, but I'd like to know what game disappointed you the most this past year. Doesn't have to be a game that came out last year, but it does have to be something you played last year. It can be something you were looking forward to that didn't meet your expectations or something that you played and simply couldn't enjoy.

For me it was Overwatch. Yes that game so many people enjoyed. I played about 12 hours of it across 2 different beta periods on PC and it just never clicked with me. I really like the look of it artistically, I really enjoyed the animated shorts, and I adore the personality and charm that were put into each character. Despite this I just couldn't seem to enjoy playing the actual game. I was really looking forward to it, but after 2 separate attempts to get into the game and failing to do so I ultimately didn't purchase the game and felt rather disappointed.

So, what was your biggest gaming disappointment in 2016 and what exactly about it was so disappointing? :kinda

Lol, I swear you're the ultimate hipster on the forums. ColinApproves

A cloud has set over Kinda Funny. Rain is in our midst. But the storm will fade. And the sun will rise once more.

II GTA FREEK II
Seducer
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Jan 12, '17, 3:31am

vitzpatel wrote:For me, it's Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

Seems like they missed the secret sauce that made the first game great. Sure it looked pretty in the Frostbite engine, but hiding all of Faith's cooler moves behind a skill tree was annoying.

Think this game could've done with another 6-12 months in the oven, don't think we'll ever get a another Mirror's Edge game.

I feel you with this one. In the end I enjoyed my time with the game enough, but it still wasn't as good as I had hoped. The story and characters were pretty forgettable and the quality of a game 4 years ago. The end fight was laughable. However it looked good and played very well. More time definitely would have helped.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Jan 12, '17, 6:24am

Raging Light wrote:Lol, I swear you're the ultimate hipster on the forums. ColinApproves

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Frost-Tea-Light

Valomek
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Valomek

Jan 12, '17, 7:13am

Frostilyte wrote:Given the various posts of yours I've read through I'm not surprised. I wish I was at this level of fully understanding my own taste with games, but I'm not quite there. I grew up on Nintendo stuff and only "recently" switched over to PC, which gave me a much wider array of games styles and genres to try. As a result part of what I play is "hmm...this looks interesting", or "I wonder what all the hype is about".

I know, I sound like a dick more often than not, I only wish I did not come off as a smart ass as well.

When you say that, I start to wonder if that is the reason so many people have to buy every single big release that comes out. Not saying you are one of them, but I wonder how many people that buys a game because of "hmm...this looks interesting", or "I wonder what all the hype is about".

Because when I stop and think about things like "I wonder what all the hype is about", my answear is almost always "The Internet is hyped about everything, and I don't agree with reviewers" So I always end up not buying or play them.

Other times I play a game, just so I can complain about it, Looking at you Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Witcher 3 and Uncharted ... Heck I even did PSVR, jsut so I can complain ... And yes I'm that person.

Now I'm coming off as a dick again, what I really wanted to say was that I really enjoy posts like this, since it gives me a chance to understand what other people want from their games, and why they take a chance sometimes in the games they buy.

Ps.
Not sure if it is a good thing, that a mod remembers my posts #KindaParanoid WutFace portilloTrueLove portilloKevin
Are you lonely?