JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Re: EA shuts down Visceral Games, overhauling their Star Wars game

Oct 20, '17, 9:29pm

II GTA FREEK II wrote:
JerrodDRagon wrote:Many still do, I just can't always buy them day one...there are thousands of games released a year. Unless your a millionaire no one has the money to support each and everyone one of the single player games out DAY one this year

In this context, no there is not thousands of single player games released every year. There's hundreds of games total at best, and only a portion of those are like what this Star Wars game was supposed to be. I think it's obvious that we aren't counting smaller/indie games, or any of the crap released on mobile and steam. So the amount of games we're actually talking about is relatively small.

And with the various options for day one discounts from places like Best Buy, Amazon, and even the ps store as of recent, it's possible to get even more of these games day one.

Sure, I guess but there are still hundreds of games out a year...enough where it would cost me for lets say just 20 of them at 60 bucks to be over 1,000 bucks without DLC and thats not counting Indies and so on.

I'm just saying I can't buy every game I want to support day one....like Evil Within 2...I just don't have the money since I have other games I like more. From Mario, to Jack box (my friends love playing these with me), South Park and so on. Its just too much to play as is as well as the cost

DocDoomII
Pure One
PSN: DocDoomII

Oct 24, '17, 7:50am

Buying day one is out of the question for me. Most of the times it's a lot better to wait a few months and a few patches.
I also don't like to play a game and then getting more story via DLC months later.
When I play a game I want to play it all in one go.

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Oct 27, '17, 11:52am

https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-visc ... 1819916152

Barely a few days from that bombshell and Jason Schrier already has the scoop on what went wrong. Definitely worth a read.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Oct 27, '17, 12:47pm

The_Almighty_Foofy wrote:https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

Barely a few days from that bombshell and Jason Schrier already has the scoop on what went wrong. Definitely worth a read.

Awesome article.

"What's the innovation?" Soderlund and Raymond EA come across exactly as you'd expect executives at EA to.

Reading that, I blame EA entirely. 30 people working on an Uncharted killer? Initially I was thinking that EA just weren't committed to this at all, but in reality I think EA execs were just completely negligent.

KindaMatt
Seducer
PSN: MattKZ11

Oct 27, '17, 12:51pm

Fantastic piece by Jason.

channelocho
Producer
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Oct 27, '17, 4:16pm

I came out of the article (which was fantastic) is that is was a failure by both EA and Visceral. EA for not giving them enough resources, but it sounds like the game was trying to be too ambitious and wanted to make a game of Uncharted's polish, using a style of management that works at Naughty Dog but few other studios use, and definitely sounds like Amy Hennig took on far too much and should have either hired someone she trusted from th beginning or delegated. It certainly sounds like the game was far from finished.

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Oct 27, '17, 4:26pm

channelocho wrote:It certainly sounds like the game was far from finished.

There is 0% chance that would have come out in 2018 like the aim was.

HeyImHayley
Unsung Hero
XBL: HeyImHayley
PSN: girly-gamer16

Oct 27, '17, 8:08pm

tht article makes me feel like while this sucks the game was never gonna be released anyways

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

EA shuts down Visceral Games, overhauling their Star Wars game

Oct 27, '17, 8:29pm

Lol so they didn't get more people to help with the game thanks to Battlefront 2. Fucking hilarious.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Oct 28, '17, 11:28am

Man, Jason Schreier doing the lord's work over there. Intriguing stuff.

GregB
Baller

Oct 28, '17, 2:57pm

I kinda don't blame EA for wanting more Star Wars in their Star Wars games. The game sounded like it would be pretty cool, but to spend that much on it I would certainly have preferred Jedi vs Sith and X-Wings vs Tie Fighters, and not some minor thing happening under the shadows of all that.

Remember that Batman game where you played as Commissioner Gordon's 3rd in command police officer? Or the Ninja Turtle game where you played as a foot soldier? Why is Star Wars like that?

When is the last time you could play a single player game as non-Lego Luke Skywalker? SNES?

It's Star Wars, just half-ass together some non-canon story and throw in a bunch of characters we know and love and put your whole ass into the mechanics, physics and level design and let us have fun. Fucking gold mine. Or just do what the Lego games do, but in the style of big budget AAA. Why the insistence of some Han Solo knock off or some random Empire minion as lead characters for single player stuff?

Battlefront has all the main heroes and villains as playable characters, but who do you play as in the new single player mode? It's even treated as a bonus when you play them in multiplayer. Make a game where it feels like a bonus the entire fucking time. Why does this seem like some kind of crazy unbelievable wish that will never happen?

HeyImHayley
Unsung Hero
XBL: HeyImHayley
PSN: girly-gamer16

Oct 28, '17, 11:56pm

GregB wrote:I kinda don't blame EA for wanting more Star Wars in their Star Wars games. The game sounded like it would be pretty cool, but to spend that much on it I would certainly have preferred Jedi vs Sith and X-Wings vs Tie Fighters, and not some minor thing happening under the shadows of all that.

Remember that Batman game where you played as Commissioner Gordon's 3rd in command police officer? Or the Ninja Turtle game where you played as a foot soldier? Why is Star Wars like that?

When is the last time you could play a single player game as non-Lego Luke Skywalker? SNES?

It's Star Wars, just half-ass together some non-canon story and throw in a bunch of characters we know and love and put your whole ass into the mechanics, physics and level design and let us have fun. Fucking gold mine. Or just do what the Lego games do, but in the style of big budget AAA. Why the insistence of some Han Solo knock off or some random Empire minion as lead characters for single player stuff?

Battlefront has all the main heroes and villains as playable characters, but who do you play as in the new single player mode? It's even treated as a bonus when you play them in multiplayer. Make a game where it feels like a bonus the entire fucking time. Why does this seem like some kind of crazy unbelievable wish that will never happen?

the problem is that any game ea makes is canon to the star wars timeline

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Oct 29, '17, 1:48am

channelocho wrote:I came out of the article (which was fantastic) is that is was a failure by both EA and Visceral. EA for not giving them enough resources, but it sounds like the game was trying to be too ambitious and wanted to make a game of Uncharted's polish, using a style of management that works at Naughty Dog but few other studios use, and definitely sounds like Amy Hennig took on far too much and should have either hired someone she trusted from th beginning or delegated. It certainly sounds like the game was far from finished.

Shame on her for trying to make a quality game that doesn't nickel and dime you for microtransations. Doesn't she know she works for EA now?

HeyImHayley wrote:the problem is that any game ea makes is canon to the star wars timeline

'Canon' is just a marketing tool designed to make you think this was intergral to the story. The expanded universe and The Force Unleashed games were all canon too until they weren't. And even when The Force Unleashed games WERE considered canon, nothing that took place in those games was ever referenced or acknowledged in the movies. The same thing will happen with any 'canon' Star Wars game from EA.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Oct 29, '17, 6:57am

It’s still readily available to them (ie. Lucasfilm). And, let’s not forget, it’s also their property. It isn’t like something that wasn’t properly communicated to most parties involved, when they started working on the game, was it? So, no, “canon” isn’t just a marketing tool - or maybe it is, to garner more exposure for said characters.

Nowadays, characters created in books can (and do) appear in comics, tv shows and vice-versa. Hell, some from the TV show Rebels even made an appearance in Rogue One!

GregB
Baller

Oct 29, '17, 7:15am

Lol, canon in Star Wars is a joke. There is no such thing. Stuff that happened in the original movie isn't even 100% agreed upon by the creators (Han/Greedo shooting first). In this age of reboots and remakes, canon is only temporary. Nothing to fuss about. If something sticks it sticks, if not then it's just ignored. When something is labelled as canon it's just pandering fanboy marketing.

Tardis1982
Baller

Nov 02, '17, 8:10am

I don't like how most people are giving Amy Hennig a pass. Sounds like this is the 2nd time she caused a bunch of drama at a studio.
PSN Tardis632
XBL Figment632
NID Tardis1982
STM Tardis1982

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Nov 02, '17, 8:18am

The article paints a picture of pure disaster on all fronts. From both sides. No innocent party.

Ultimately, EA pulls the plug on a project that clearly was not going to bet any better. Especially since this isn't a project they even appear to want anymore (no multiplayer, no micro-transactions, etc.).
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Nov 02, '17, 9:11am

While it might be both sides, still not trusting EA

Why because they won't even support the Switch which is a runaway success and only EA and activision are really not trying to support the system.
This is why I hate PURE greed companies, they I'm sure made money on Switch but not as much as everywhere else so are not supporting Switch for a year? Fuck you EA, you make an ok port and aren't happy when it doesn't sell well its on you

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Nov 02, '17, 9:34am

JerrodDRagon wrote:While it might be both sides, still not trusting EA

Why because they won't even support the Switch which is a runaway success and only EA and activision are really not trying to support the system.
This is why I hate PURE greed companies, they I'm sure made money on Switch but not as much as everywhere else so are not supporting Switch for a year? Fuck you EA, you make an ok port and aren't happy when it doesn't sell well its on you

It's a console with much worse internals. A lot of their games probably don't transfer over too well, and a lot of Nintendo fans have a different taste in games. I'm not sure there's that many people out there that would want subpar versions of a lot of those games.

I agree it's stupid to give people a crappier port than they could and then use that as a way to gauge success, but that's not the only issue.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Nov 02, '17, 9:35am

I'm not EA apologist. Frankly though, sometimes it a simple business decision of killing a failing project. But b/c they are who they are, it is seen as more sinister than that. (If a liar actually tells the truth, no one will believe them).

Either way, add it to the list of "things that will never be."

<shrug> I dunno. Won't change much about the situation. EA's action seems very similar to big movie studios interfering with the movies, b/c they want to put in more characters so they can sell more merchandise. Why? Money and greed. Simple as that. (as you said)
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”