BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

EA shuts down Visceral Games, overhauling their Star Wars game

Nov 02, '17, 11:55am

Tardis1982 wrote:I don't like how most people are giving Amy Hennig a pass. Sounds like this is the 2nd time she caused a bunch of drama at a studio.

I'm not. Love her work, but ever since her exit from Naughty Dog - and Jason's book - it seems that a canvas has appeared and in it there's a painting of her running a tight ship that doesn't really have any dissenters happy. On any "sides".

It's disheartening, actually.

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Re: EA shuts down Visceral Games, overhauling their Star Wars game

Nov 02, '17, 2:16pm

II GTA FREEK II wrote:
JerrodDRagon wrote:While it might be both sides, still not trusting EA

Why because they won't even support the Switch which is a runaway success and only EA and activision are really not trying to support the system.
This is why I hate PURE greed companies, they I'm sure made money on Switch but not as much as everywhere else so are not supporting Switch for a year? Fuck you EA, you make an ok port and aren't happy when it doesn't sell well its on you

It's a console with much worse internals. A lot of their games probably don't transfer over too well, and a lot of Nintendo fans have a different taste in games. I'm not sure there's that many people out there that would want subpar versions of a lot of those games.

I agree it's stupid to give people a crappier port than they could and then use that as a way to gauge success, but that's not the only issue.

We will see how Bethesda does...but I think its just kinda BS to put out worst versions of a game and then question why.

You know what could have sold better on Switch is something like Mass Effect, I know coming out now maybe not but think if back in September Mass Effect was out on Switch, I think it would have done well since people wanted something bigger to play before Mario.

Or Star Wars Battlefront 1, why is that not the game they are trying to push? I just think they are all so much suits over there they don't even know how to sell to people on Switch. Peggle 2, Plants Vs Zombies, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2, Dead Space, Star Wars, the Sims, and Dragon Age all games I think if marketed right can sell well on Switch but they just through out Fifi and it didn't get any marketing or good PR with the reviews and then just run away.
Why not have said here is Pop Cap Collection with there most poular games on it...or released them one by one. Would have been cheap and made sense for the system

channelocho
Producer
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Nov 02, '17, 5:52pm

Can we just get an HD version of Star Wars Pod Racers from the 64 on the Switch, I played the hell out of that as a kid. Best thing from Episode One.

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Nov 29, '17, 5:22am

When Electronic Arts closed down Visceral Games and announced that the studio's in-development Star Wars game was changing directions significantly, some wondered if this had to do with the game's more linear, single-player nature. Given the huge success of multiplayer games like Destiny and PUBG that use the games-as-a-service model, was EA re-tooling Visceral's Star Wars game to respond to this industry trend? EA CEO Andrew Wilson said it wasn't necessarily, but now EA CFO Blake Jorgensen has acknowledged that linear games are fading in popularity in the current market.

"As we kept reviewing the game, it continued to look like a much more linear game [which] people don't like as much today as they did five years ago or 10 years ago," Jorgensen said during the Credit Suisse Technology, Media & Telecom Conference this week (via DualShockers).

For his part, Wilson said the decision to close Visceral and pivot the studio's Star Wars game wasn't about the game needing to have a live service element. "It wasn't about, 'This was just a single-player game [and it] needed to be a live service.' It was more about, 'How do we get to a point where the overall gameplay experience was right for players,'" he explained earlier this month.

Going back to Jorgensen, he said Visceral was trying to make a Star Wars game that "really pushed gameplay to the next level." He also acknowledged that Visceral was a "sub-scale" studio, staffed by around 80 people which is on the smaller side for a AAA game made by EA. Because of this, EA brought in teams from Vancouver and Montreal to support Visceral on this project.

EA ultimately decided to close Visceral and significantly shift the nature of the Star Wars game because "it was an economic decision at the end of the day." Jorgensen thought about how many copies the game would have to sell and he determined that EA "probably wouldn't be able to" reach that unspecified mark. "You gotta cut the bridge when you realise you can't make a lot of money on something," Jorgensen said, adding that he is a big believer in sunk costs.

Also during the call, Jorgensen mentioned that this wasn't the first time EA decided to significantly change a game. But while EA likes to do this early in the process if it can, the new Star Wars game from Visceral got further out, making the decision that much more difficult for the developers and fans alike to stomach.

Jorgensen added that EA is trying to re-assign developers from Visceral to other projects, but the wording of his comments ("we're trying to keep as many as possible") suggests that there will be some amount of layoffs in the process.

When EA announced the closure of Visceral, EA's Patrick Soderlund said its team at EA Vancouver will lead the future development on the Star Wars game. But during the call this week, Jorgensen made it sound like the game may never come out. He said EA's conversations currently are more focused on if what Visceral made can be pivoted into something new, potentially in a different style; another option, Jorgensen said, is for some parts of the game to be used in other games. Right now, EA is "trying to go through that," Jorgensen said, so it sounds like nothing has been decided on the future of the game as of yet.

One part of the decision to change Visceral's Star Wars game came down to what Soderlund described as "fundamental shifts in the marketplace." He added that EA wants to make a game that "players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come." The wording here suggests that EA wanted the game to have more of a live service element to it, and if and when it does come back, we wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.

In the wake of the Visceral/Star Wars game news, Xbox boss Shannon Loftis said she believes single-player-only games aren't dead but they do have questions to face around their economic viability.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-sa ... 0-6455252/

So they didn't know the game was going to be linear until just recently? Lol okay. Maybe you should have some better communication in your company if you're that fucking oblivious to things.

They say it wasn't about the game needing to be a live service, but that's exactly what they're saying. According to them, players don't like linear single player games and they don't seem well. So they need something for players to keep coming back to. Guess what that means? Y'all need and want a live service game. Do they even know what they're saying? Ffs.

And where are they exactly getting this data that suggests gamers don't like single player games anymore? I'm not seeing that trend. If it's because their games are selling like shit, I can definitely tell you it's because you suck ass at making them. You can't make subpar games that are buggy as hell, and then give up when they sell like shit. Maybe make games worth buying, something you're clearly blind to.

And why is it just now that you're seeing this trend? You would have been aware of this earlier, and shouldn't have allowed your studios to keep making games that aren't selling. Instead you decide to let them get years into development and then just decide to close the studio and rework the game. This just goes back to EA being terrible at doing things in advance. If us gamers honestly don't buy singe player games anymore, then I better never see one come from EA again. If I do, then it just goes to show that EA is full of shit, though I already know that.

They should have just bit their lip and taken the chance of a possible profit loss. I doubt that would have happened though because it was a Star Wars game. All this did was make them look even worse, and more idiotic. But it's clear they'll just keep on trying to justify their idiocy.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

MannySJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Nov 29, '17, 11:51am

II GTA FREEK II wrote:<post>

Not to defend EA, but multiplayer games are selling well right now. According to Forbes, these are the best selling games of 2017 as of mid-October:
  • Destiny 2
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  • NBA 2K18
  • Madden NFL 18
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • For Honor
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Injustice 2
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda
Of those, only Zelda and Horizon are the only true single-player games. GTAV and Mass Effect both are largely single-player experiences, but have big multiplayer modes as well (and we know GTA Online is what's still pushing that game). The sad fact is that most of those games are, in fact, selling well because of the multiplayer component.

The difference, though, is that most publishers still do push out single-player content. Ubisoft has two games on there, but they've also published games like South Park and Mario + Rabbids, and they have Far Cry 5 in the pipeline. The fact that EA doesn't want any single-player focused games is really upsetting and truthfully a little troubling. Honestly, if EA didn't own BioWare, I wouldn't give them a second thought.

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Nov 29, '17, 12:32pm

I just don't trust EA at all anymore, especially with the Star Wars IP. Not just because of this, but the BS they tried to pull with the whole micro transactions/loot boxes needed to be a thing for the SW universe to remain canonical. They could even announce a KOTOR 3 and at this point I would not give an ounce of faith to EA for how they are operating now. Good luck to them though, but as far as I am concerned my money is better used elsewhere.

Vices_9
Seducer
PSN: Vices_9

Nov 29, '17, 12:56pm

MannySJ wrote:Honestly, if EA didn't own BioWare, I wouldn't give them a second thought.

That’s about where I’m at. If they didn’t have Respawn (Titanfall) or Bioware (Dragon Age) I could completely let them go.

HavokX
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Havok83

Nov 29, '17, 1:23pm

The last EA game I enjoyed was probably Mass Effect 3

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Nov 29, '17, 1:39pm

Vices_9 wrote:
MannySJ wrote:Honestly, if EA didn't own BioWare, I wouldn't give them a second thought.

That’s about where I’m at. If they didn’t have Respawn (Titanfall) or Bioware (Dragon Age) I could completely let them go.

Titanfall is the only thing I have to hold on to. But now that's pretty much doomed.

I would have said Need For Speed too, but the last two entries have been pretty meh, so I'm fine with letting that franchise go. Payback was their time to shine and they just drove straight into gator infested waters.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”