Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Re: This Is The Last Straw, Electronic Arts....

Dec 01, '17, 8:38am

Anthem looks good but I have a feeling it's gonna be like Destiny aka garbage especially since EA hates single player games.

If it was a single player game that looked like that then it would be very tempting.

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Dec 01, '17, 9:56am

Yeah I have no interest in Anthem. I get why people are hyped about it, but honestly I see it being soulless when it does drop akin to The Division when the Division first dropped (man I wanted to like that game but it was lifeless post-story mode, and even then...)

But good for those that want to still get Anthem. Only EA title I might get is Titanfall 3, and even then I probably will get it on bargain bin prices (unless GTA convinces me otherwise lul )

Vices_9
Seducer
PSN: Vices_9

This Is The Last Straw, Electronic Arts....

Dec 01, '17, 11:13am

I want Anthem if it’s what I want it to be. I’m hoping for a narrative driven space RPG. Like Mass Effect, but as a new IP with none of the baggage. I think the idea of discovering the universe of Anthem with your friends is a great idea. But I don’t think that’s what it is. I believe it will be third person Destiny with loot as the focus rather than uncovering the story. I want it to be a game about the journey, not the destination. And that is disappointing but I will still give Bioware the chance to prove me wrong before I totally dismiss it.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Dec 01, '17, 12:02pm

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

ROFL
Producer

Dec 02, '17, 5:55am

At this point I’m confident that EA and Activision, and probably Ubisoft soon enough, all have no intention of producing anything of value to the hardcore gamer ever again.
Big Videogame Publishing does not care about Videogames.

It’s no different than Konami and Metal Gear Solid Pachinko, that’s all that any big publisher wants, that’s where they’re all headed.

Anthem will be the real test for EA. The quality and design of that game will tell us whether or not Bioware actually still exists at all and whether or not EA can possibly allow creativity within their walls.
If Anthem fails to impress hardcore gamers then I hope EA goes bankrupt. Of course that will never happen, but Gamers should relegate them to the same category as Zynga.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zynga
In February 2016, Zynga said that it planned to sell its headquarters in San Francisco, a property last assessed at over $238 million

While they’re not going out of business any time soon, I can only hope to see similar reports out of EA in the next five years.

MR PAPPAGIORGIO
Pure One
XBL: MR PAPPAG1ORG1O
PSN: tHeRk1981

Dec 02, '17, 8:53am

I used to really love EA, especially for their terrific EA Sports titles growing up, but over the last 10 years they have become increasingly focused less and less on the player and experience. Obviously BFII is the most recent example but you can look at countless other examples as well from Mass Effect to the complacency of Madden innovations, to the terrible NBA Live games, and even the closing of Visceral. For me personally, their unwillingness to find solutions to keep NCAA Football series going.

EA needs a philosophy change and a shift of focus back onto games, experience, and most importantly the gamers

I put a dollar in, I got a car.
I put a dollar in, I got a car!

Tardis1982
Baller

Dec 04, '17, 6:46am

Raging Light wrote:
Valomek wrote:
Tardis1982 wrote:I love hoe devs always get the break its always just the big bad publisher.

#MeToo my boi.

Then neither of you understand how the video game industry works. The publishers have the final say on anything they own. They own DICE so DICE does what EA wants. Whether or not DICE would do the same thing independently or not is irrelevant. Most of the public statements that defended these practices were made by EA employees, not DICE. And dozens of other games published by EA have had similar scenarios to this one. Singling out every single developer under EA instead of the corporate overload that is the only common denominator here is ridiculous.

There have been devs coming out left and right on twitter saying that most of the time its their choice and they receive no direction from a pub. Devs always get a break and they really shouldn't.
PSN Tardis632
XBL Figment632
NID Tardis1982
STM Tardis1982

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Dec 04, '17, 7:12am

Tardis1982 wrote:
Raging Light wrote:Then neither of you understand how the video game industry works. The publishers have the final say on anything they own. They own DICE so DICE does what EA wants. Whether or not DICE would do the same thing independently or not is irrelevant. Most of the public statements that defended these practices were made by EA employees, not DICE. And dozens of other games published by EA have had similar scenarios to this one. Singling out every single developer under EA instead of the corporate overload that is the only common denominator here is ridiculous.

There have been devs coming out left and right on twitter saying that most of the time its their choice and they receive no direction from a pub. Devs always get a break and they really shouldn't.

Even if what you're saying is true, the buck still stops at the publishers. There is no scenario in which a game published by EA is infested by controversial business practices and EA is innocent. Either both parties are to blame or only EA is to blame. And since EA is the one in charge here, has a long history of public statements defending these practices, has tons of games under its ownership that all fall prey to these practices eventually, and shuts down developers that don't employ these tactics successfully, EA absolutely deserves the lion's share of the blame. If you want to also blame DICE then by all means do that. I'd rather focus on the root of the problem instead of the symptoms.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

Tardis1982
Baller

Dec 04, '17, 8:24am

Raging Light wrote:
Tardis1982 wrote:
Raging Light wrote:Then neither of you understand how the video game industry works. The publishers have the final say on anything they own. They own DICE so DICE does what EA wants. Whether or not DICE would do the same thing independently or not is irrelevant. Most of the public statements that defended these practices were made by EA employees, not DICE. And dozens of other games published by EA have had similar scenarios to this one. Singling out every single developer under EA instead of the corporate overload that is the only common denominator here is ridiculous.

Even if what you're saying is true, the buck still stops at the publishers. There is no scenario in which a game published by EA is infested by controversial business practices and EA is innocent. Either both parties are to blame or only EA is to blame. And since EA is the one in charge here, has a long history of public statements defending these practices, has tons of games under its ownership that all fall prey to these practices eventually, and shuts down developers that don't employ these tactics successfully, EA absolutely deserves the lion's share of the blame. If you want to also blame DICE then by all means do that. I'd rather focus on the root of the problem instead of the symptoms.

I never said EA was innocent?? I only said Dice is not.
PSN Tardis632
XBL Figment632
NID Tardis1982
STM Tardis1982

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Dec 04, '17, 8:50am

Tardis1982 wrote:I never said EA was innocent?? I only said Dice is not.

I never said you said that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I only explained why I'm not focusing on DICE.

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”