User avatar
Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 3040
Joined: May 26, '15, 11:45am
Location: Knox, TN
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Tekken 7 | Discussion

Feb 12, '16, 5:59am

Image

Information

Genre: Fighting
Platform(s): Playstation 4, Xbox One, PC
Developer: Bandai Namco Entertainment
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
Release Date(s): June 2nd, 2017

Overview

Tekken 7 focuses on 1-on-1 battles. Two new mechanisms are introduced in the game. The first, Rage Art, allows the player to execute several unblockable moves that deal roughly 30% damage depending on the character (the location test had several characters dealing up to 80% damage, but were changed in the release version after feedback) once their health bar is critical, in exchange for inactivating the normal attack power increase. In Fated Retribution, Rage Art has been updated, if the characters takes more damages from the opponents' attacks while in Rage Mode, the Rage Art's damage becoming much stronger. The second, Power Crush, lets the player continue their attacks even while being hit by the enemy, although they would still receive the damage dealt by the enemy's attacks. The mechanic also works only for absorbing high or mid attacks. The bound system, which staggers a character to increase opportunity for additional hits, is replaced by Screw Attack, which makes the enemy spin sideways when they are hit airborne, allowing the player to inflict additional hits after they reach the ground. Unlike bound, however, Screw Attack cannot be used to do wall combos. Thanks to a new display system, the game's multiplayer allows players to choose which side of the screen to play on. Movement has undergone some changes and now is similar to the movement mechanics found in Tekken Revolution, most notably when characters walk backwards.

The arcade version features the traditional stage-based playthrough, in which the player progresses by beating five different opponents one by one, ending with a fixed penultimate and final stage. Matches may be interrupted if another player joins the game. Online mode is available for both local and international play. Character customization is featured, allowing the player to modify characters' appearances. For the first time in the arcade series, the game features a practice mode, which allows players to train moves against an opponent for a limited amount of time, as well as an option to collect in-game rewards, mainly customization items, through "Treasure Box" by winning enough matches.

Fated Retribution features several gameplay changes to the game. The new "Rage Attack" allows the player to empower certain attacks by sacrificing their Rage Mode. Rage Art is also adjusted so that the amount of damage dealt to the enemy is inversely proportional to the player's current health bar. A character-specific feature for the guest character Akuma is an EX meter, which serves as a limiter for some of his special moves.

Trailer(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFtZ9-luuLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkVcjdR3n2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7oqMr4o4nk

Reviews

Destructoid - 8/10
Eurogamer - 80%
Famitsu - 36/40
Game Informer - 8/10
GamePro - 84%
Game Revolution - 4/5
GamesMaster - 86%
GameSpot - 8/10
GamesRadar - 4/5
IGN - 9.5/10
Polygon - 80%
Metro - 8/10
Last edited by Deathtone on Jul 16, '17, 6:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody.

User avatar
westcoaststyle
Seducer
Posts: 531
Joined: May 17, '15, 3:57pm
Location: Bay Area, California
XBL: westc0aststyle
PSN: demon__650
Contact: Website Twitter YouTube Twitch

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

Feb 12, '16, 11:44am

Haven't played a Tekken game in years. Hwoarang was my dude.
______________________________________________________
Image
Image

Twitch: Demon__650
Twitter: westcoaststyle

User avatar
Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 2308
Joined: Jan 14, '16, 3:25pm
Location: Dalmasca, Ivalice
PSN: XDaimyo
Contact: Website

Tekken 7 | Discussion

Feb 12, '16, 12:01pm

I'll probably wait for Tekken Tag Tournament 3.
Image

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."
.

Farsendor
Unsung Hero
Posts: 175
Joined: May 21, '15, 7:41am

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

Feb 22, '16, 7:24am

I just want to see the game hit the states this year. Tekken was one of my favorite PS1 games and I haven't really played one in years.
Image

User avatar
JRV
Baller
Posts: 1456
Joined: Jun 11, '15, 6:39am

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

Feb 23, '16, 4:57pm

Tekken 2 and 3 were my favorite arcade fighting games I hope this can be as good as those

User avatar
Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 2308
Joined: Jan 14, '16, 3:25pm
Location: Dalmasca, Ivalice
PSN: XDaimyo
Contact: Website

Tekken 7 | Discussion

May 19, '17, 11:08am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGD-F7DU2gk

I think I might be on board for this one. If so it will be my first main installment since Tekken 3.
Image

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."
.

User avatar
SonofMar
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Posts: 948
Joined: Aug 23, '16, 10:42am
PSN: SonofMar
Contact: Twitch

Tekken 7 | Discussion

May 19, '17, 11:20am

Raging Light wrote:
I think I might be on board for this one. If so it will be my first main installment since Tekken 3.


My exact reaction. Looking great thus far.
Image

User avatar
Valomek
Baller
Posts: 1319
Joined: May 17, '15, 3:51am
Location: Denmark
PSN: Valomek
Contact: Twitter

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

May 21, '17, 6:09am

I might be dumb and all, but should this thread not be under General Gaming Discussion since it also comes out on both PC and Xbox One ?
Last edited by Valomek on May 21, '17, 6:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Are you lonely?

User avatar
One-Shot
Management
Management
Posts: 4694
Joined: May 18, '15, 7:45am
Location: Atlanta GA
XBL: OneIShot
PSN: OnelShot
Steam: One-Shot
Contact: Skype

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

May 21, '17, 6:13am

Valomek wrote:I might be dumb and all, but should this threadnot be under General Gaming Discussion since it also comes out on both PC and Xbox One ?

portilloIndeed
Image
"I don't know what it means to be the water man" - Colin Moriarty

User avatar
Valomek
Baller
Posts: 1319
Joined: May 17, '15, 3:51am
Location: Denmark
PSN: Valomek
Contact: Twitter

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

May 21, '17, 6:16am

Just like Raging Light, I might get this Tekken, however I already know how much I'm going to suck at it FeelsBadMan

One-Shot wrote:
Valomek wrote:I might be dumb and all, but should this threadnot be under General Gaming Discussion since it also comes out on both PC and Xbox One ?

portilloIndeed

portilloKevin
Image
Are you lonely?

User avatar
Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Posts: 3721
Joined: Jun 03, '15, 2:24pm
Location: London ON, Canada
Steam: Frostilyte
Contact: Twitch

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

May 21, '17, 7:20am

Valomek wrote:Just like Raging Light, I might get this Tekken, however I already know how much I'm going to suck at it FeelsBadMan

If you have fun with it, does it really matter? I'm still fucking terrible at fighting games, but I do enjoy playing them on occasion.
Frost-Tea-Light
Steam: Frostilyte
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

User avatar
Valomek
Baller
Posts: 1319
Joined: May 17, '15, 3:51am
Location: Denmark
PSN: Valomek
Contact: Twitter

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

May 21, '17, 11:27am

Frostilyte wrote:
Valomek wrote:Just like Raging Light, I might get this Tekken, however I already know how much I'm going to suck at it FeelsBadMan

If you have fun with it, does it really matter? I'm still fucking terrible at fighting games, but I do enjoy playing them on occasion.


I'm not sure my controllers or the people around me would want me to play Tekken, trust me when I say this ... I'm not gracious in defeat, which is also why, I don't participant in community game nights.

Because I know just how much I radiant salt to everyone near my path.

In fact, I now know, that I won't get this game NotLikeThis
Image
Are you lonely?

User avatar
Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 2308
Joined: Jan 14, '16, 3:25pm
Location: Dalmasca, Ivalice
PSN: XDaimyo
Contact: Website

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

May 21, '17, 12:28pm

Frostilyte wrote:
Valomek wrote:Just like Raging Light, I might get this Tekken, however I already know how much I'm going to suck at it FeelsBadMan

If you have fun with it, does it really matter? I'm still fucking terrible at fighting games, but I do enjoy playing them on occasion.


I agree with this. I sucked at both Smash Bros and Tekken for years. Only with the most recent game did I get pretty good at Smash Bros. (Learning advanced techniques, learning the meta, etc.) And the game's fun no matter your skill level.

I'm actually practicing the basics in Tekken Tag Tournament 1 & 2 right now.
Image

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."
.

User avatar
Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Posts: 3721
Joined: Jun 03, '15, 2:24pm
Location: London ON, Canada
Steam: Frostilyte
Contact: Twitch

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

May 21, '17, 1:15pm

Valomek wrote:I'm not sure my controllers or the people around me would want me to play Tekken, trust me when I say this ... I'm not gracious in defeat, which is also why, I don't participant in community game nights.

Because I know just how much I radiant salt to everyone near my path.

In fact, I now know, that I won't get this game NotLikeThis

For shame. Never throw the controller!
I mean...bot games? Or do AAA fighting games no longer support bot games for casual fighting game plebs like us?

Raging Light wrote:I agree with this. I sucked at both Smash Bros and Tekken for years. Only with the most recent game did I get pretty good at Smash Bros. (Learning advanced techniques, learning the meta, etc.) And the game's fun no matter your skill level.

I'm actually practicing the basics in Tekken Tag Tournament 1 & 2 right now.

Funny you say that as the most recent smash was the first time I really got into learning to play the game better myself. Didn't go as far down the rabbit hole as you, but I had a lot more fun with the game playing against friends and against the AI that way.
Frost-Tea-Light
Steam: Frostilyte
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

User avatar
Valomek
Baller
Posts: 1319
Joined: May 17, '15, 3:51am
Location: Denmark
PSN: Valomek
Contact: Twitter

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

May 21, '17, 1:24pm

Frostilyte wrote:For shame. Never throw the controller!
I mean...bot games? Or do AAA fighting games no longer support bot games for casual fighting game plebs like us?


So many dead Ps2 contollers FeelsBadMan

I'm sure there are still matches against the AI, but that would not change that I would know that I suck.
Image
Are you lonely?

User avatar
Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 3040
Joined: May 26, '15, 11:45am
Location: Knox, TN
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

Jun 06, '17, 10:06am

I'm having fun so far with it as to be expected.
They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody.

User avatar
stratogustav
Baller
Posts: 1087
Joined: Oct 28, '15, 7:52pm
Position/Title: Contributor at CGR
Location: California, US
XBL: stratogustav
PSN: stratogustav
Steam: stratogustav
Contact: Website

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

Jun 09, '17, 7:19pm

Addicted as always. These are the kind of games you just can't put down for some reason.

User avatar
tejotl
Producer
Posts: 270
Joined: May 17, '15, 2:14pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

Jun 09, '17, 11:18pm

Took me 2 days to get the plat because I couldn't get on online match prior to patch 1.02
Game is really solid and my only problem at this stage are:
Longish matchmaking (can take few minutes to get a match)
Can't play regular training mode nor one of the single player modes while waiting for online match
Tournaments stop when host leaves - a lot of salty people out there
Lack of tutorial/trials - would definitely help a Tekken noon like me to get basics down

Still - a very solid fighter and an easy plat if you're hunting :)
walking on vector prime

User avatar
stratogustav
Baller
Posts: 1087
Joined: Oct 28, '15, 7:52pm
Position/Title: Contributor at CGR
Location: California, US
XBL: stratogustav
PSN: stratogustav
Steam: stratogustav
Contact: Website

Re: Tekken 7 | Discussion

Jun 12, '17, 1:53am

Yeah, the plat is super easy. Which is nice. Although I have to say that last battle with Devil Kazuya on the story mode was giving me a hard time at first. I just had too much pride and refused to play it on easier settings. So that fight alone took me most of the time. The story is great by the way. I really dig it.Image

User avatar
Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 3040
Joined: May 26, '15, 11:45am
Location: Knox, TN
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Tekken 7 | Discussion

Jul 16, '17, 6:45pm

https://youtu.be/6MK2TKFFtQA

I'd have preferred Terry Bogard but still it's an unexpected surprise.
They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody.

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”