No votes

Total votes: 32
II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Horizon Zero Dawn | Discussion

Nov 12, '17, 6:08pm

So I'm tagging Nick because he asked, but this is for anyone else who is playing Frozen Wilds and trying to do trophies. The trophy that is tied to the new hunting grounds challenges does require you to get all gold medals for the trophy.

I found the second challenge to be a bit tough, but as long as you're willing to persist and learn, you'll succeed fairly well. The last challenge however will seem very harsh. But, it's actually not that bad. I was trying to be too fancy with it. Using multiple weapons, exploiting each machines weakness, etc. You don't need to do any of that. All you need to do is use one weapon, at least that's what I did. I literally just hit every machine with a powerful blast sling, using only blast bomb ammo. Oh and I used the end game outfit from the vanilla game.

But yeah, I just use those bombs over and over, making sure to have enough resources for ammo. And I finished it fairly easily. And you could probably do the same thing with the second challenge too.

nicktorious_BLT wrote:Oh please don't tell me there's a trophy tied to the new trials...
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Nov 12, '17, 6:25pm

II GTA FREEK II wrote:So I'm tagging Nick because he asked, but this is for anyone else who is playing Frozen Wilds and trying to do trophies. The trophy that is tied to the new hunting grounds challenges does require you to get all gold medals for the trophy.

I found the second challenge to be a bit tough, but as long as you're willing to persist and learn, you'll succeed fairly well. The last challenge however will seem very harsh. But, it's actually not that bad. I was trying to be too fancy with it. Using multiple weapons, exploiting each machines weakness, etc. You don't need to do any of that. All you need to do is use one weapon, at least that's what I did. I literally just hit every machine with a powerful blast sling, using only blast bomb ammo. Oh and I used the end game outfit from the vanilla game.

But yeah, I just use those bombs over and over, making sure to have enough resources for ammo. And I finished it fairly easily. And you could probably do the same thing with the second challenge too.

Well that's unfortunate. OMGScoots

Anyway, thanks for the advice! Luckily this trophy isn't tied to a platinum so I will have it on a short leash.

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums

Nov 12, '17, 7:51pm

I've completely finished The Frozen Wilds. Trophies and all.

It wasn't bad DLC, but it also wasn't great. For the most part it was just more Horizon. They did put in the effort of creating a whole new area, but I didn't find it very interesting. Granted I've never been a big fan of snow areas in games, but I just didn't find it that fun of an area. It was mostly bland, though it did have some interesting locations. One major issue I had with the area was the snowfall. At times it made your ability to see a real hassle, and with no way to advance time it was just an annoyance.

In terms of story it was okay. It had all of the polish and quality of the vanilla game, but ultimately it wasn't quite the story it should have been.
► Show Spoiler

As for content, it seemed pretty worth my $15. Even it's original $20 price tag seems fair. They added in new weapons, outfits, enemies, and a fair amount of quests and side activities. I didn't feel like it didn't have enough to do.

I think anyone looking for just more Horizon content will be satisfied. If you weren't, this won't do anything that will win you over. I enjoyed my time with it well enough.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

HeyImHayley
Unsung Hero
XBL: HeyImHayley
PSN: girly-gamer16

Nov 12, '17, 8:01pm

II GTA FREEK II wrote:I've completely finished The Frozen Wilds. Trophies and all.

It wasn't bad DLC, but it also wasn't great. For the most part it was just more Horizon. They did put in the effort of creating a whole new area, but I didn't find it very interesting. Granted I've never been a big fan of snow areas in games, but I just didn't find it that fun of an area. It was mostly bland, though it did have some interesting locations. One major issue I had with the area was the snowfall. At times it made your ability to see a real hassle, and with no way to advance time it was just an annoyance.

In terms of story it was okay. It had all of the polish and quality of the vanilla game, but ultimately it wasn't quite the story it should have been.
► Show Spoiler

As for content, it seemed pretty worth my $15. Even it's original $20 price tag seems fair. They added in new weapons, outfits, enemies, and a fair amount of quests and side activities. I didn't feel like it didn't have enough to do.

I think anyone looking for just more Horizon content will be satisfied. If you weren't, this won't do anything that will win you over. I enjoyed my time with it well enough.

hades isnt referenced because, a) the game resets to before the final mission, and b because hapheastus is another of gaia's sub routines that escaped

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums

Nov 12, '17, 8:34pm

HeyImHayley wrote:hades isnt referenced because, a) the game resets to before the final mission, and b because hapheastus is another of gaia's sub routines that escaped

Hmm. I don't see why the final mission thing would change anything, and this DLC has to take place after it. If it doesn't then that's dumb and confusing for no reason.

But I understand Hades being a separate ai from Haphaestus. Though that just reinforces my opinion that this DLC didn't do the storyline that it should have.

I wonder if this game will get more DLC/expansions. portilloSexyGreg

HeyImHayley
Unsung Hero

Nov 12, '17, 8:42pm

II GTA FREEK II wrote:
HeyImHayley wrote:hades isnt referenced because, a) the game resets to before the final mission, and b because hapheastus is another of gaia's sub routines that escaped

Hmm. I don't see why the final mission thing would change anything, and this DLC has to take place after it. If it doesn't then that's dumb and confusing for no reason.

But I understand Hades being a separate ai from Haphaestus. Though that just reinforces my opinion that this DLC didn't do the storyline that it should have.

I wonder if this game will get more DLC/expansions. portilloSexyGreg

it doesnt really tell you when it happens though based on sylens dialogue id say before the final mission , and based on the fact the complete edition comes out next month id say no

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Nov 13, '17, 5:10am

HeyImHayley wrote:
II GTA FREEK II wrote:

it doesnt really tell you when it happens though based on sylens dialogue id say before the final mission

That's the most direct reference you're going to get about the DLC taking place before the final mission you're going to get, what more do you guys want?

portilloPure1

Sylens gets really fussy about Alloy going out of her way to explore some wasteland and not her "assignment", that's a pretty damn giveaway, no?

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums

Nov 13, '17, 5:26am

BetoJR wrote:That's the most direct reference you're going to get about the DLC taking place before the final mission you're going to get, what more do you guys want?

portilloPure1

Sylens gets really fussy about Alloy going out of her way to explore some wasteland and not her "assignment", that's a pretty damn giveaway, no?

I just finished it and I couldnt tell you much of what was said. So no I didn't pick up on that part of the dialogue. But I'll say this yet again, that's stupid. This DLC is essentially an additional area that should be played while playing through the regular game. So it's almost more useful to someone playing the game for the first time, though those would be the people that wouldn't have this DLC because they probably wouldn't know what it was and would assume it is post story DLC. For us who have beaten it, it's simply just some side thing that serves no real purpose overall. For a game that has a lot of focus on story, this was dumb imo.

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn | Discussion

Nov 13, '17, 5:46am

Dude, the game came out in february. This is a very cool bonus, at least to me. portilloPure1

HeyImHayley
Unsung Hero

Nov 13, '17, 5:35pm

BetoJR wrote:Dude, the game came out in february. This is a very cool bonus, at least to me. portilloPure1

i agree, i loved it and now it looks likethe weapons you get in it will help with new game plus

Vices_9
Seducer
PSN: Vices_9

Nov 13, '17, 10:40pm

I have been touting this game as one of the best games of the year and I still think it is but I need to entertain an idea to anyone who’s willing to listen.

Does anyone else not like Aloy as a character? To me, the DLC pointed out something that kind of gave me a revelation. Aloy is a one dimensional character, similar to PS2&PS3 Kratos, but instead of anger, Aloy just has this boring indifference to every situation she is in. She cares about no one, and no one cares about her. I guess you could make a claim that she fights for this sense of multicultural justice, which would be interesting, but she has no energy or emotion when she fights. She’s almost this super being that has gone beyond having emotions, or earthly attachments, she progresses through life only for the sake of existing and moving on. There’s nothing she stops to protect that’s personal to her. All of her conflicts are other people’s conflicts. It just makes her no fun. She would be better if she had biases and opinions and conflicts on a personal level. But she doesn’t.

That said, I have to reiterate that I love the gameplay, the world, the atmosphere, the enemy design, and I love GG and Killzone. I say the above comments out of legit criticism.

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer

Nov 14, '17, 9:58am

Vices_9 wrote:She would be better if she had biases and opinions and conflicts on a personal level. But she doesn’t.

It's kind of mind-boggling, how differently people can approach and appreciate characters in pieces of entertainment, isn't it? She suffered no fools (if you so desired, dependent on your own choices in-game), worked with a bandit-murderer only grudgingly (again, if you so wished - or not), saved a child-king with grace and care (or not at all - again, your choice), and that's just a little showing of the color of her "personality", that I'm getting at.
To me, Alloy was completely likable, and more, she was someone I could relate on some level, over her feelings of loneliness and aloofness, as well. I guess I can see why some people would think that's unlikable, tho.

I fucking loved it, myself. SeemsGood

danman31
Producer

Nov 14, '17, 1:07pm

I agree about the night time snowfall complaint. Impossible to see at times.

That said, the DLC was more Horizon. I forgot just how good this game was. There's nothing tedious about it (although resource management should be banned from video games, serves no purpose).

The story wasn't great, but that's the situation they limited themselves to. By placing it before the end of the game, it couldn't be that important to the overall series story.

Vices_9
Seducer
PSN: Vices_9

Nov 15, '17, 3:00pm

BetoJR wrote:
Vices_9 wrote:She would be better if she had biases and opinions and conflicts on a personal level. But she doesn’t.

It's kind of mind-boggling, how differently people can approach and appreciate characters in pieces of entertainment, isn't it? She suffered no fools (if you so desired, dependent on your own choices in-game), worked with a bandit-murderer only grudgingly (again, if you so wished - or not), saved a child-king with grace and care (or not at all - again, your choice), and that's just a little showing of the color of her "personality", that I'm getting at.
To me, Alloy was completely likable, and more, she was someone I could relate on some level, over her feelings of loneliness and aloofness, as well. I guess I can see why some people would think that's unlikable, tho.

I fucking loved it, myself. SeemsGood

I just found her to have no personality at all. I don’t ever give characters points for relating to myself but I do when they have characteristics that resonate with me. But Aloy has no personality, she doesn’t care about anything, there’s nothing interesting to her persona. That main mission in the regular game ended by giving her even less meaning.

BuffArms
Baller

Nov 15, '17, 3:10pm

Vices_9 wrote:I just found her to have no personality at all. I don’t ever give characters points for relating to myself but I do when they have characteristics that resonate with me. But Aloy has no personality, she doesn’t care about anything, there’s nothing interesting to her persona. That main mission in the regular game ended by giving her even less meaning.

portilloIndeed

Haha Yeah. I was looking at the Game Awards nominations, and there was one for the performance of Aloy, and all I can think is why would anyone get an award for playing an empty character?

At the beginning she is pretty good, but mainly due to her father figure. Once hes gone her personality was pretty much gone too. But then they didn't write her anything to build a personality off of. Where is her love interest? Girl in her later teen years, first time among other people, and you are telling me she is not going to have any sexual interest at all? Where are her friends? Where is her challenge that she fails miserably at, and then learns from, and then fights to overcome?

You have this character who has never been a part of civilization, and just entering her adult years, and she has NO REACTION AT ALL TO BEING AROUND PEOPLE...

FailFish NotLikeThis FeelsBadMan ThisIsFine SeemsGood
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

vitzpatel
Baller
PSN: vitz1985

Nov 16, '17, 3:29am

I appreciate how almost everyone in this game has the hots for Aloy, but she's not having any of it. She's a strong, independent woman who goes around kicking ass and not conforming to whatever box society would have her fit in.
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums

Nov 16, '17, 3:55am

vitzpatel wrote:I appreciate how almost everyone in this game has the hots for Aloy, but she's not having any of it. She's a strong, independent woman who goes around kicking ass and not conforming to whatever box society would have her fit in.

Yeah I was really glad they didn't have any sort of love interest or anything like that. I've never wanted that from any of my games, especially one where I'm fighting robot dinosaurs.

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Nov 16, '17, 5:25am

II GTA FREEK II wrote:
vitzpatel wrote:I appreciate how almost everyone in this game has the hots for Aloy, but she's not having any of it. She's a strong, independent woman who goes around kicking ass and not conforming to whatever box society would have her fit in.

Yeah I was really glad they didn't have any sort of love interest or anything like that. I've never wanted that from any of my games, especially one where I'm fighting robot dinosaurs.

I have to say it would also be a complete and total reverse of her character. This young kid that was shunned, made fun of, ignored, and overall forgotten by the society she now (as a young woman) is protecting.

I always played her as a character that was strong, good hearted, not looking for anything but figuring out her past. As noted above, having her develop a "love interest" would be disingenuous and probably annoying to me, more than anything.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

CinciBoiler
Baller
PSN: Izzyrules

Nov 16, '17, 5:27am

BedaHouse wrote:
II GTA FREEK II wrote:

I have to say it would also be a complete and total reverse of her character. This young kid that was shunned, made fun of, ignored, and overall forgotten by the society she now (as a young woman) is protecting.

I always played her as a character that was strong, good hearted, not looking for anything but figuring out her past. As noted above, having her develop a "love interest" would be disingenuous and probably annoying to me, more than anything.

I agree, I love that fact that GG decided to not give her even the slightest hint of having a love interest. She's driven by something else. That's refreshing and a welcome change from the umpteenth game with the typical love interest subplot.

I know on a recent show (I think Gamescast) Andy said he wished Aloy was more like Nathan Drake. I think that's the last thing I wanted from her. We've got enough quippy sarcastic protagonists out there. I like Nathan Drake and all, but a character like him wouldn't have felt right at all in this game IMO.
Twitter: CinciBoiler
PSN: Izzyrules

vitzpatel
Baller
PSN: vitz1985

Nov 16, '17, 5:53am

^^

Fully agree! Too many quotes within quotes to copy it all in.
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

Return to “PlayStation”