No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 37
gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn | Discussion

Jan 12, '18, 12:16am

Eve Narlieth wrote:I mean the story seems interesting but why are the maps so gigantic and only filled with herds of different machines. I spent ages to go from point A to B and there was nothing on the way that interested me... I feel the maps could be half the size and the game would be the same

It's an open world that is beautiful graphically but dull and uninspired.

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Jan 12, '18, 6:31am

Eve Narlieth wrote:
I mean the story seems interesting but why are the maps so gigantic and only filled with herds of different machines. I spent ages to go from point A to B and there was nothing on the way that interested me... I feel the maps could be half the size and the game would be the same

Its the open wilderness, so to me it didn't seem any more open/wild than what I have played in Far Cry 3 or 4. Different areas have different heards/groups. That said, the navigating the world is easier when you opening up/discovering the campfires, as well as getting the "golden fast travel pack" (I rarely did the "ride on a machine" they try to have you do.)

How to get the golden fast travel pack: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-24-horizon-zero-dawn-how-to-get-golden-fast-travel-pack-unlimited-fast-travel-4932

Again, not trying to defend the game. Though honestly, it seems like you really are trying to like the game, but it just isn't doing it for you. No shame in that.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

Kitten Tactics
Pure One
XBL: Kitten Tactics
PSN: Lauren-Winters

Jan 12, '18, 11:59am

I cooled on Horizon the longer I played it, it was a much more interesting premise than the game could deliver on, sadly. I found the story of what happened to the world interesting, but not Aloy's story or even Aloy as a character by the end. Apart from that, I dislike the combat immensely, and found myself always approaching a situation with "How can I avoid all these enemies" as opposed to "How can I deal with these enemies". It was a pretty world with a few good characters but I don't know that I want a sequel or anything.

CinciBoiler
Baller
PSN: Izzyrules

Jan 12, '18, 1:16pm

Eve Narlieth wrote:I mean the story seems interesting but why are the maps so gigantic and only filled with herds of different machines. I spent ages to go from point A to B and there was nothing on the way that interested me... I feel the maps could be half the size and the game would be the same

That's interesting to hear as one of the things I liked most about Horizon was I felt the maps weren't that big at all compared to most modern open world RPGs. I felt Horizon's were smaller and more densely packed, which I liked. Different strokes tho...
Twitter: CinciBoiler

Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

Jan 14, '18, 11:51pm

CinciBoiler wrote:
That's interesting to hear as one of the things I liked most about Horizon was I felt the maps weren't that big at all compared to most modern open world RPGs. I felt Horizon's were smaller and more densely packed, which I liked. Different strokes tho...

Really? Interesting. The kind of "open world" I like is Nier Automata and Xenoblade, both of which aren't that big really

BedaHouse wrote:Its the open wilderness, so to me it didn't seem any more open/wild than what I have played in Far Cry 3 or 4. Different areas have different heards/groups. That said, the navigating the world is easier when you opening up/discovering the campfires, as well as getting the "golden fast travel pack" (I rarely did the "ride on a machine" they try to have you do.)

Yesterday I was talking to a friend and he actually suggested I tried riding everywhere. Maybe I'll give the game one last hurrah and try riding from story mission to story mission

CinciBoiler
Baller

Jan 15, '18, 5:42am

Eve Narlieth wrote:
CinciBoiler wrote:

Really? Interesting. The kind of "open world" I like is Nier Automata and Xenoblade, both of which aren't that big really

Lol, this is funny as I was honestly wondering to myself if you had played Nier and liked its open world, as I honestly didn't like it at all. Its not that big map wise I suppose, but its so bland and empty to me that running thru it felt like it took forever, cause there was just nothing to do and nothing interesting to look at. I think we just have different things we like and expect out of our respective open world games.
Twitter: CinciBoiler

Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

Jan 15, '18, 5:51am

CinciBoiler wrote:
Lol, this is funny as I was honestly wondering to myself if you had played Nier and liked its open world, as I honestly didn't like it at all. Its not that big map wise I suppose, but its so bland and empty to me that running thru it felt like it took forever, cause there was just nothing to do and nothing interesting to look at. I think we just have different things we like and expect out of our respective open world games.

Haha that is funny indeed. The maps in Nier are so small you can just run from one end to the other quickly. The point is following the story more than the exploration. So it didn't matter to me that the maps weren't full. Actually, I preferred having only a few side quests to focus on

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Jan 15, '18, 8:58am

Eve Narlieth wrote:
Yesterday I was talking to a friend and he actually suggested I tried riding everywhere. Maybe I'll give the game one last hurrah and try riding from story mission to story mission

That does help a good amount. Opening up the campfires makes traveling long distances easier too, that's where exploring the world paid off for me. But as I got later into the world, I did find myself being annoyed about having to go from the bottom of the map all the way to the top, only to go back down again. Then I was glad to see the campfires nearby I could fast travel to.

As I said, hope you find some enjoyment in it; however, if you still find yourself put off by the world/map and overall gameplay experience, I can honestly say, it just might not be for you (not that its a bad thing). portilloTrueLove

I fired it up this weekend and did some of the hunting trials and the hunters lodge game play (all the way through the Redmaw story line). But even after being back in that world....I think I'm done w/t he game. I started looking at all the stuff I had to do to complete/100% that game and I can honestly say: eh. I don't think I'm going to try for it. Just too much travel to find all the data points/flowers/etc. Not sure I want to deal w/ the hunting trials and shooting to get all full suns on them. I just don't have the time/patience to deal with it. Though I still absolutely love just exploring and the soundtrack that plays in this game (that ambient/techno-chill that reminds me of AC2).
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

Return to “PlayStation”