AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego
PSN: AirMcLaren

PlayStation Vita | Master Thread

Oct 03, '15, 6:11pm

Are you a fan of PlayStation Vita? This is your thread!

Welcome! This is your one-stop resource for PlayStation Vita gaming. New and existing PlayStation Vita gamers are always asking questions about their new consoles or requesting recommendations on what games to play. This thread can answer all of those questions in one place. What's even better? The OP can adapt based on your recommendations! Feel free to share experiences and thoughts in your replies!

PlayStation Vita
MSRP: $199.99
--- Essential Accessories ---
Memory Cards
64GB MSRP N/A* | 32GB MSRP $79.99* | 16GB MSRP $39.99*
*MSRP prices are listed for reference, you can find them cheaper
**64GB memory cards are typically purchased online or imported

"What size do I need?"

Going digital? Get at least a 32GB memory card. Going physical? You can probably get away with 16GB.

One thing to keep in mind prior to purchasing a Vita is memory. The Vita uses proprietary memory cards and they are expensive. Be sure to consider how you plan to store your games prior to purchasing your system. Recommendations on card sizes will vary depending on the current prices of the cards, and how you prefer to store your games media. Prices fluctuate often, so it's a good idea to keep your eye on them and buy at the right time. You can find more discussion on this topic here.

System Protection
Protect your screen! To eliminate finger prints, scratches, smudges, etc., we recommend using a screen protector. ProTip: The easiest way to apply the screen protector is straight out of the box, before the Vita is exposed to too much dust or dirt. Wash your hands before applying. Have the screen protector ready to go before opening your system!

A protective case is also a good idea, whether you plan to travel with your Vita or keep it by your bedside. If you have a digital library, we recommend this case. If you have a physical library and need a case with game holders, we recommend this case.

Sound
While the Vita has decent speaker sound quality, we would recommend these headphones to improve your gaming experience.

Battery
The PS Vita's internal battery can get you anywhere from 4-6 hours of gameplay, depending on how what applications you're running and your brightness setting. Travel often? Add approximately 4-7 hours of extra gaming with this Portable Charger. Ideal for long trips.

Keep in mind that even if you do not require the use of your Portable Charger over an extended period of time, it is advised to run the charger through a complete cycle at least once per year to maintain the quality of the battery life. To do this, simply connect your Vita to the Portable Charger in the comfort of your own home, drain the battery to completion, and then recharge. Do not leave the Portable Battery charging for extended periods (after completely charging), as this would also result in poor battery life.

Remote Play
One of the coolest features about the Vita is its ability to Remote Play with your PS4. Connecting over WiFi or directly to the PS4 console (ideal connection depends on your home setup), you are able to play PS4 games on your Vita! Unfortunately, input lag seems to be common. Wired connections and limiting signal obstruction between the Vita and the PS4 or router help, depending on what you're connected to. Expect to play around with your setup and adjust as-needed until you find your optimal Remote Play settings.

Certain games are more compatible than others, depending on the controls. Games that require heavy L2/R2 and L3/R3-use can be awkward to play on the Vita, as the handheld lacks those buttons. Some games let you re-map the controls, while others let you use the back touchpad to replace L2/R2 L3/R3. It can get tricky. You can find more discussion about using Remote Play here.

PlayStation TV
MSRP $79.99*
*Currently selling for much cheaper

Although now discontinued, the PlayStation TV is another great way to Remote Play games. In fact, some Vita titles can be played on the PlayStation TV without requiring a Vita at all. This is a major convenience for those Vita exclusive games that you would prefer to play with a Dualshock. It's important to note that using the PlayStation TV in this fashion will require you to either transfer the game/save data onto a separate Memory Card, or to swap the Memory Card between the Vita and PlayStation TV. You can browse a list of PSTV compatible games in the PlayStation Store.

You can find more discussion on this topic here.

1 Year MSRP $49.99 | 3 Months MSRP $17.99

What is the best service offered in the video game industry? Look no further than PlayStation Plus (PS+).

A single membership extends across all of your PlayStation consoles. You get access to a monthly rotation of free* games, in addition to increased discounts on weekly specials and sales. You want more? You also get early and/or exclusive access to betas, demos, and other discounts. Should we keep going? 10GB of Cloud Storage is included in your subscription. Still not enough? Automatic updates on your PS3 and PS4 will install those hefty patches ahead of time, giving you more time to play! And finally, a PS+ subscription is required* to play online multiplayer. Even if you don't play online, we still highly recommend PS+. The discounts and perks will more than pay for itself throughout your subscription.

PSA: Retailers will occasionally sell PS+ subscriptions for a discount. The most common sale is $39.99 for 1 Year. If you find a sale, feel free to purchase more than one. When redeemed to the same PSN account, your subscription will "stack," extending your expiration date.
*Any content received that was "FREE" will become "disabled" upon expiration of your PLUS subscription
**PS+ subscription required for PS4 multiplayer only

--- Games ---

Persona 4 Golden
Metascore: 93
User Score: 9.2

LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
Metascore: 88
User Score: 8.6

Shovel Knight
Metascore: 92
User Score: 8.1

Tearaway
Metascore: 87
User Score: 8.9

Hotline Miami
Metascore: 85
User Score: 8.4

Rogue Legacy
Metascore: 85
User Score: 7.9

Gravity Rush
Metascore: 83
User Score: 8.5

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Metascore: 80
User Score: 7.4

Guacamelee!
Metascore: 87
User Score: 8.3

Sound Shapes
Metascore: 84
User Score: 7.8

Freedom Wars
Metascore: 73
User Score: 8.3

Danganronpa
Metascore: 80
User Score: 8.0

Severed
Metascore: 83
User Score: 7.9

Killzone: Mercenary
Metascore: 78
User Score: 8.8

GAME
Metascore: ##
User Score: #.#

[url=LINK][img]IMAGE[/img][/url]

! Message from: AirMcLaren
Game grid is under construction.
Twitter: @thechrismclaren
Battle.net: AirMcLaren#1687
Discord: AirMcLaren#6427

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego

Oct 03, '15, 6:11pm

[Reserved]

westcoaststyle
Seducer
XBL: westc0aststyle
PSN: demon__650

Re: PlayStation Vita | Master Thread

Oct 07, '15, 9:35am

A tip for anyone who wants a cheaper alternative to Amazon for memory cards

http://www.superufo.com/products/psvita ... rsion.html

64GB for $77.43 (not including shipping)

Ground Mail ( Bubble Pack ): USD 0.85
Air Mail (Bubble Pack): USD 1.19
Ground Mail Parcel: USD 11.60
Air Mail Parcel: USD 12.05
EMS: USD 20.70
UPS/FEDEX/DHL: USD 26.40

This is a very popular site at another Vita board I post on (GameFaqs).

Twitch: Demon__650
Twitter: westcoaststyle

SHADOWFORKS
Pure One
PSN: SHADOWFORKS

Oct 08, '15, 7:39pm

Picked up a Lime Green PS Vita for 190 dollars off of Amazon. Japanese Vitas are becoming increasingly cheaper and cheaper, do you think this may be the rare moment where import consoles are cheaper than the homegrown ones due to low manufacturing.

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Oct 10, '15, 10:58am

I'm still not finding a reason to purchase one myself. There's just nothing on it I want. :/
We don’t go balls to the wall, we go nuts to butts.

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego

Oct 10, '15, 11:48am

Deathtone wrote:I'm still not finding a reason to purchase one myself. There's just nothing on it I want. :/

A lot of Vita games are crossbuy. I might recommend downloading some of them for your PS3/4 and see if you like them, then decide if they might better be played on the Vita. Shovel Knight and Rogue Legacy are both good examples of great games that play much, much better on the handheld.

I'll be honest. There wasn't a specific game that made me buy my Vita. I bought it as another way to play, and discovered the games later. With all of the PS+ deals, there's always something to play or at least try out.

JJGee
Baller
PSN: Night-MareW
Steam: JJGee

Oct 11, '15, 6:42am

I'm just gonna post this right here: Is there anything anyone can tell me about the current state of the PS Vita port of Axiom Verge? I'm dying to play that game, but I don't have PS4 and I don't want to buy it on PC. Besides, it seems like a game that's right at home on a handheld. So why won't they give it to me already?

Patfish_Bengal
Best Friend
XBL: Patfish_bengal
PSN: patfish_bengal

Oct 11, '15, 10:12am

This is an odd sort of question. I have a vita and play it quite a bit. recently, been focusing on a lot of PS1 classics. However, I am going to be travelling a lot this week for work, many long flights and was looking for a good vita game to play.

Here's the catch. I also have a ton of podcasts to catch up on, so I am looking for a vita game I can play on mute while I listen to podcasts. So nothing too story heavy, because I don't want to miss anything important....

Thanks,
Your Pal - Patfish_Bengal
:Shu :HotPepper

ValkyrieX
Unsung Hero
PSN: ValkyrieX

Oct 12, '15, 12:38pm

The Vita can now be homebrew'ed. So that may make it more attractive to some people who owned the PSP previously primarily for homebrew.

TheDarkKnight221
Producer
XBL: Darknight2211
PSN: alexmilton6

Oct 12, '15, 6:40pm

I just picked up my vita for the cross buy indie games like super meat boy, binding of isaac, and soon crypt of the necrodancer
Playing: Call of Duty: Black Ops III, Civ V
Recently Completed: Bioshock: Infinite, Uncharted 4, Black Ops 3 (Campaign)
Feel free to add me on PSN or XBL

ForeverCarefree
Best Friend
PSN: ForeverCarefree

Oct 13, '15, 4:00am

Had my Vita from pretty early on after its release.

After initially buying a few games for it I soon began to feel that the games themselves weren't particularly good value for money.

I never play my Vita at home, only on the train during the commute to work which is 30mins each way.

I now use it primarily for the PS+ games which are generally quite good for the short playing spells I use it for.

I do enjoy playing the Vita but it's very much indie titles only nowadays and a long way away from the AAA handheld device that was initially promised.

HeavyMetalBakesale
Unsung Hero
XBL: HevyMtlBakesale
PSN: PandaWithAGun
Steam: HeavyMetalBakesale

Oct 14, '15, 10:51pm

Patfish_Bengal wrote:This is an odd sort of question. I have a vita and play it quite a bit. recently, been focusing on a lot of PS1 classics. However, I am going to be travelling a lot this week for work, many long flights and was looking for a good vita game to play.

Here's the catch. I also have a ton of podcasts to catch up on, so I am looking for a vita game I can play on mute while I listen to podcasts. So nothing too story heavy, because I don't want to miss anything important....

Thanks,
Your Pal - Patfish_Bengal

It really depends on what kind of games you're into. Here's a few genres with suggestions.

Shooter: Killzone Mercenary, never played it but according to Greg and Colin its really good

Action: Soul Sacrifice Delta, its a Monster Hunter-esque game, it has a story but it doesnt really matter.

RPG: Persona 4 Golden, now this may seem like a weird choice because its very story heavy BUT the majority of it is text based so you can read it while podcasting. That and the story of P4G will make time go by so fast you'll swear the plane never left the airport.

Fighting: Power Stone Collection, its a PSP game thats a port of the original two Dreamcast games. Really good fighters that have good story but aren't super important

And I can't end this list without recommending one of my favorite games of all time, Jet Set Radio, its a part skating, part grafitti game. The story is sort of important but is mostly text and can be ignored and still enjoyable.

Hope this helps! :kinda

Patfish_Bengal
Best Friend
XBL: Patfish_bengal
PSN: patfish_bengal

Oct 15, '15, 8:22am

Thanks for getting back to me.... luckily my flights were delayed... so I listened to my podcasts while sitting on the tarmac and was able to play Tearaway, with the sound on the plane. What a fun/inventive little game
:Shu :HotPepper

A Mitchgician
Pure One
XBL: A Mitchgician
PSN: mitchellkillgour

Oct 17, '15, 12:51am

I just picked up the vita myself, played SMB on it and have moved onto Uncharted and the sly collection. Really like it so far and a worthwhile purchase after years of listening to Greg and Colin saying how good it is.

WhutDaFunk
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Oct 17, '15, 9:31am

I am considering buying a Vita, but im worried about the back touchpad controls.

From my understanding, you have to use the back controls in place of the (missing) L2 and R2 buttons, and I am worried that this implementation would just be frustrating and not fun at all. Do crossbuy games like spelunky, hotline miami and shovel knight for example require the use of the touchpad, or are the buttons just mapped differently for the Vita? Are the back controls well executed or does it just take away from the overall experience?

JJGee
Baller

Oct 17, '15, 10:28am

WhutDaFunk wrote:I am considering buying a Vita, but im worried about the back touchpad controls.

From my understanding, you have to use the back controls in place of the (missing) L2 and R2 buttons, and I am worried that this implementation would just be frustrating and not fun at all. Do crossbuy games like spelunky, hotline miami and shovel knight for example require the use of the touchpad, or are the buttons just mapped differently for the Vita? Are the back controls well executed or does it just take away from the overall experience?

I don't think Shovel Knight or Hotline Miami used the backtouch at all, at least in any inevitable way. I've found that a lot of games on the Vita don't use the feature at all or only do so in a very small way. A couple games like Borderlands 2 do use it, but once you get used to it, it's pretty manageable. I don't think many games use the backtouch as a key feature, so aside from the uncommon frustration with some games, they're tolerable.

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego

Oct 17, '15, 11:01am

Some (probably more like few) games include touchpad controls for gimmicky purposes but the majority don't use it at all. If you're playing a crossbuy game on your Vita and the touchpad controls are throwing you off, you're probably better off playing it on the console, anyway.

The only time you'll consistently run into touchpad frustrations is with remote play.

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego

Oct 21, '15, 9:24am

Sony PlayStation Vita WiFi PS Vita Slim Handheld Gaming Console PCH-2001 NEW

$159.99

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121753419869?rmvS ... mwBanner=1

Bartolomeo
Unsung Hero
PSN: Jivesh1995

Oct 21, '15, 12:55pm

Now is the best time to invest in a Vita, or at least in South Africa. Picked up a 64GB memory card, 6 games(mostly Lego games) for R1000($75).
Row Row Fight The Power

JJGee
Baller

Oct 23, '15, 5:22am

http://www.vg247.com/2015/10/23/sony-completely-drops-first-party-vita-development/

VG247 wrote:Speaking in a 4Gamers interview, Sony Computer Entertainment SVP Masayasu Ito has confirmed that Sony has dropped all first-party development for its Vita handheld.

As translated by DualShockers, Ito said: “Currently, first-party studios have no titles in development for PS Vita. Since third-parties are working very hard on PS Vita, SCE’s own strategy is to focus on PS4, which is a new platform.”

This is bad news in essence, but I feel less affected by it than I initially expected. In a sense, I haven't really even cared about Vita's first party support that much. And the truth is, I don't think first party was ever the thing that made the Vita a device worth having.

Return to “PlayStation”