User avatar
SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1449
Joined: Aug 23, '16, 10:42am
PSN: SonofMar
Contact: Twitch

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Dec 08, '17, 11:26am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyvJv_ZJkPE

1.Campaign with 3 interwoven stories that have 3 different art styles and 3 different gameplay mechanics.
2.The whole game was made entirely in Dreams.
3.Dream shaping (world building)
4.You can share everything you make and collaborate with other people.
5.You can download other people's creations and play or use them as assets in your creations.
6.The most intuitive 3D creation software.
7.You can make music in-game or you can sample your own sounds as well.
8.Real world applications.
Bonus:
*Couch coop
*VR functionality


Welp, colored me more excited now. Makes me far more excited. Just hope that PSX means the last piece, the beta finally releasing for this weekend.
Image

User avatar
danman31
Seducer
Posts: 418
Joined: May 23, '15, 11:19pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Dec 08, '17, 11:47am

JerrodDRagon wrote:Looks better than before but....is this game really going to do better than Project Spark?

It's Media Molecule so I believe it will be better. Whether it does better depends on how they promote it in the coming months. I am rooting for them. The Game Awards trailer gave me hope. That was sort of a story trailer and showed some badass games in there. I want the campaign to have tons of genres to show off what it can do. Give me that Galaga clone. Give me a racer. Give me a platformer. Give me a side scroller. Show off what your creator can do.
Image

User avatar
JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 3547
Joined: May 18, '15, 11:24am
Location: Thousand Oaks
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Dec 08, '17, 4:49pm

danman31 wrote:
JerrodDRagon wrote:Looks better than before but....is this game really going to do better than Project Spark?

It's Media Molecule so I believe it will be better. Whether it does better depends on how they promote it in the coming months. I am rooting for them. The Game Awards trailer gave me hope. That was sort of a story trailer and showed some badass games in there. I want the campaign to have tons of genres to show off what it can do. Give me that Galaga clone. Give me a racer. Give me a platformer. Give me a side scroller. Show off what your creator can do.

I mean I just doubt it, not because it will be a bad game (I liked Project Sparks) but because this took sooo many years and so much money to keep up running

I think it will sell around what Gravity Rush 2 sold...and those servers got turned off in less than a year...so yeah not much faith

Bake1986
Producer
Posts: 232
Joined: May 03, '17, 3:15pm
Location: UK

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Dec 08, '17, 9:24pm

I can only imagine that massive sales aren't what MM are striving for and they would prefer to trailblaze and push boundaries when it comes to games. Unless intrigue and it's reputation play a part then this won't sell well, and they surely know this. They are targetting a very niche audience and it seems incredibly hard to define.
If I'm to go anywhere near a creative game it needs the ease of use, and ease on the eye of a Mario Maker, I sense this has neither. LBP had part of it but spending hours in tutorials isn't fun to me.
Image

User avatar
danman31
Seducer
Posts: 418
Joined: May 23, '15, 11:19pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Dec 09, '17, 10:56pm

JerrodDRagon wrote:I mean I just doubt it, not because it will be a bad game (I liked Project Sparks) but because this took sooo many years and so much money to keep up running

I think it will sell around what Gravity Rush 2 sold...and those servers got turned off in less than a year...so yeah not much faith

I don't see what how long it took them has to do with how well it will do. I am skeptical of its sales as well, but Gravity Rush 2 was VERY niche. The original was a freaking Vita game. Media Molecule has a much, much bigger following than what Gravity Rush had. I think most everyone is skeptical of it.

The creation tools look very impressive, but I sure as hell ain't going to put the time into it. I didn't with LBP either. It just doesn't demo well. Showing someone use something that is the video game version of Final Cut Pro mixed with Photoshop isn't going to get many people to buy the game. They need to show more of the awesome levels that it can make. Things that look fun to play. I'm watching the PSX panel right now and all they're showing is someone making a level. Show us what levels you've made with it. We've seen how impressive it is as a creation tool. People who like creating things were probably already sold on this game. It's time to impress the people who just want to play the game.
Image

User avatar
channelocho
Producer
Posts: 312
Joined: Jul 15, '17, 2:58pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Dec 10, '17, 8:16pm

I think the most important thing they need to do is making sure it is easy to get to the good content people have made. I don’t want to have to search through a bunch of crap to play something fun, just give me a good curated list of fun levels to play and I’ll play them.
Image

User avatar
SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1449
Joined: Aug 23, '16, 10:42am
PSN: SonofMar
Contact: Twitch

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Dec 14, '17, 6:39am

channelocho wrote:I think the most important thing they need to do is making sure it is easy to get to the good content people have made. I don’t want to have to search through a bunch of crap to play something fun, just give me a good curated list of fun levels to play and I’ll play them.


I hope they actually have two sections available at the home menu they make: A Devs screen, where you can see what random devs make using the game from the the industry, like Cory Balrog or somebody, and a Community Screen, that you can filter based on ratings, genre, length, ect. That way you can curate to the way you want, kinda like what you are looking for.
Image

User avatar
channelocho
Producer
Posts: 312
Joined: Jul 15, '17, 2:58pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Dec 15, '17, 7:02am

SonofMar wrote:
channelocho wrote:I think the most important thing they need to do is making sure it is easy to get to the good content people have made. I don’t want to have to search through a bunch of crap to play something fun, just give me a good curated list of fun levels to play and I’ll play them.


I hope they actually have two sections available at the home menu they make: A Devs screen, where you can see what random devs make using the game from the the industry, like Cory Balrog or somebody, and a Community Screen, that you can filter based on ratings, genre, length, ect. That way you can curate to the way you want, kinda like what you are looking for.



Yes that is exactly what they need to do, I would be happy to see them getting different devs or people in the industry to do like a featured level of the week too.
Image

User avatar
tejotl
Producer
Posts: 335
Joined: May 17, '15, 2:14pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Dec 17, '17, 2:43pm

I was excited from the moment they showed you can make stuff from scratch rather than rely on pre-made assets but now I'm hyped and have all these questions

1) is dualshock indeed as viable as a pair of move controllers? They say it is but they mostly demo using move wands (outside of stage setups)

2) can you categorize content using esrb-esque ratings? Don't want to be banned for creating more dark stories and sure as hell don't want no kids viewing that either

3) what is the limit for a single scene/level - not only in terms of objects but also scripts etc.

4) how detailed can the animation be - I saw some amazing 3d graphics (without the usual fuzzy filters and blurry effects) but can't say I saw animation that would go beyond presets

5) didn't see many precision tools - straight angles etc. Since the whole thing doesn't work on a grid I'm curious how precise can you get

All things considered I'm super hyped - if my expectations are met Dreams will potentially bring me back to my early years of learning animation and graphics. Would love to recreate some of my early work in dreams and easily share it with community
walking on vector prime

User avatar
danman31
Seducer
Posts: 418
Joined: May 23, '15, 11:19pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Dec 24, '17, 6:45pm

tejotl wrote:I was excited from the moment they showed you can make stuff from scratch rather than rely on pre-made assets but now I'm hyped and have all these questions

1) is dualshock indeed as viable as a pair of move controllers? They say it is but they mostly demo using move wands (outside of stage setups)

2) can you categorize content using esrb-esque ratings? Don't want to be banned for creating more dark stories and sure as hell don't want no kids viewing that either

3) what is the limit for a single scene/level - not only in terms of objects but also scripts etc.

4) how detailed can the animation be - I saw some amazing 3d graphics (without the usual fuzzy filters and blurry effects) but can't say I saw animation that would go beyond presets

5) didn't see many precision tools - straight angles etc. Since the whole thing doesn't work on a grid I'm curious how precise can you get

All things considered I'm super hyped - if my expectations are met Dreams will potentially bring me back to my early years of learning animation and graphics. Would love to recreate some of my early work in dreams and easily share it with community

As someone who has no experience in developing games and has little intention to create stuff in this game, isn't the fact that you are even asking these types of questions a good sign? It's got you and others thinking big things.
Image

User avatar
tejotl
Producer
Posts: 335
Joined: May 17, '15, 2:14pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Dec 24, '17, 9:45pm

One of the vids that got me hyped was this one

https://youtu.be/_PNUVFYgI8w

I don't buy the whole 'create wonders in 5 minutes' and 'everyone can be an artist' narrative but seeing a detailed model and environment created in Dreams has really amped up my hype level
walking on vector prime

Return to “PlayStation”