One-Shot
Management
Management
XBL: OneIShot
PSN: OnelShot
Steam: One-Shot

Re: Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Mar 31, '16, 11:00am

I do love the tools and what they are doing....but I am not that creative and know I won't use them. They keep saying there is a game, but I still don't see it.
"I don't know what it means to be the water man" - Colin Moriarty

Noah Om
Unsung Hero
PSN: OmNomKnight

Mar 31, '16, 2:18pm

One-Shot wrote:I do love the tools and what they are doing....but I am not that creative and know I won't use them. They keep saying there is a game, but I still don't see it.

I agree. I think it will be important for MM to showcase the single player experience they have crafted. But on the other hand, the game could be very much like LBP where most of the actual gameplay consists of playing others' creations or testing out your own.

What concerns me most still is that MM refers to these creations as "scenes" rather than as games. Scenes imply that players are potentially created mini movies or set pieces rather than anything with actual gameplay. MM will definitely need to stress the gameplay details and possibilities more than they have.

One-Shot
Management
Management
XBL: OneIShot
PSN: OnelShot
Steam: One-Shot

Mar 31, '16, 2:29pm

OmNomKnight wrote:
One-Shot wrote:I do love the tools and what they are doing....but I am not that creative and know I won't use them. They keep saying there is a game, but I still don't see it.

I agree. I think it will be important for MM to showcase the single player experience they have crafted. But on the other hand, the game could be very much like LBP where most of the actual gameplay consists of playing others' creations or testing out your own.

What concerns me most still is that MM refers to these creations as "scenes" rather than as games. Scenes imply that players are potentially created mini movies or set pieces rather than anything with actual gameplay. MM will definitely need to stress the gameplay details and possibilities more than they have.

Yeah I get the impression there are a lot of "mini" type games you can create, but I feel like that won't grab me enough to want to buy this. I want a big enough idea to last a entire game than a bunch of smaller bite size games.
"I don't know what it means to be the water man" - Colin Moriarty

Noah Om
Unsung Hero
PSN: OmNomKnight

Mar 31, '16, 5:28pm

One-Shot wrote:Yeah I get the impression there are a lot of "mini" type games you can create, but I feel like that won't grab me enough to want to buy this. I want a big enough idea to last a entire game than a bunch of smaller bite size games.

In your opinion what would be the big enough idea to the game that would sell you? For me, I'm more just excited to play around with the creation tools and see what other people can come up with.

MM still has a lot to prove here. It's a great concept but like you said, they need to prove there's a bigger game to it.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Media Molecule's Dreams | Discussion

Jun 12, '17, 11:57pm

This was revealed 4 years ago. Where on earth is it?

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

Bake1986
Producer

Jun 13, '17, 1:34am

On KF they read a tweet that they will announce more about it later in the year, not sure if that means as far as PSX or somewhere in between.

Wildblood
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: Danaxus82

Jun 13, '17, 2:56am

If it's not at PSX I'm just going to assume it's been quietly cancelled, or if not, will be soon enough.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Jun 13, '17, 6:08am

Either way Media Molecule's done. This game is going to bomb.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Jun 13, '17, 5:31pm

Hold on...I'm pretty sure there was a tweet...

Here it is:

So we'll probably see this at PSX? Unless they're being too ambitious...which is a very real possibility. I hope they follow through and put this game out, because if not that's a lot of wasted time, money, and resources.

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

Jun 13, '17, 5:48pm

Unfortunatly these guys are all going to be looking for new jobs soon

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Jun 13, '17, 5:50pm

They made one really good game...one ok game...and yet they get to keep making games while Sony shuts down everyone else

Booooo...not a fan of them getting special treatment for creating Little Big Planet wayyy to many other better developers out there that deserve the cash flow they are getting that are not just gone,

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jun 13, '17, 6:15pm

JerrodDRagon wrote:They made one really good game...one ok game...and yet they get to keep making games while Sony shuts down everyone else

Booooo...not a fan of them getting special treatment for creating Little Big Planet wayyy to many other better developers out there that deserve the cash flow they are getting that are not just gone,

what studio did they shut down that didnt deserve it? Not trying to be facetious just curious

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

Jun 13, '17, 8:19pm

Chaz wrote:
JerrodDRagon wrote:They made one really good game...one ok game...and yet they get to keep making games while Sony shuts down everyone else

what studio did they shut down that didnt deserve it? Not trying to be facetious just curious

Guerrilla Cambridge just last year and Rigs was liked and they made one if not the best Killzone Campaign

Liverpool a few years back (Wipeout)
Zipper (Socom and Unit 13)
Most of Sony San Diego (Modracers)
Also they shut down a team in Sony San Monica

They all get axed but this team and Team Ico gets to run free for years just fucking up and they are both still around...just pisses me off because I enjoyed the other games and wish the money went to them because at least they made good games every few years not every 7

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jun 13, '17, 8:26pm

JerrodDRagon wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Guerrilla Cambridge just last year and Rigs was liked and they made one if not the best Killzone Campaign

Liverpool a few years back (Wipeout)
Zipper (Socom and Unit 13)
Most of Sony San Diego (Modracers)
Also they shut down a team in Sony San Monica

They all get axed but this team and Team Ico gets to run free for years just fucking up and they are both still around...just pisses me off because I enjoyed the other games and wish the money went to them because at least they made good games every few years not every 7

Didnt Ico get canned and someone else had to finish Last Guardian? Also I'm sure LBP made an ass ton of money or they wouldve canned the company

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Jun 13, '17, 8:31pm

JerrodDRagon wrote:They all get axed but this team and Team Ico gets to run free for years just fucking up

Media Molecule have hardly been running about for years fucking up. Yes this game has been in development for a while. But it's not like Tearaway, LBP & LBP2 were bad games, quite the opposite in fact.

GregB
Baller

Jun 13, '17, 8:49pm

Vane wrote:
JerrodDRagon wrote:They all get axed but this team and Team Ico gets to run free for years just fucking up

Media Molecule have hardly been running about for years fucking up. Yes this game has been in development for a while. But it's not like Tearaway, LBP & LBP2 were bad games, quite the opposite in fact.

For a AAA studio, MM is apparently pretty small too, so I don't think personnel costs are really too big of a factor or anything like that. If Dreams doesn't sell well, they could easily bounce back with some smaller more frequent/efficient games.

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jun 13, '17, 8:54pm

GregB wrote:For a AAA studio, MM is apparently pretty small too, so I don't think personnel costs are really too big of a factor or anything like that. If Dreams doesn't sell well, they could easily bounce back with some smaller more frequent/efficient games.

Hello! We are Media Molecule. We are a smallish 50 person development team based in Guildford in the UK, working exclusively for the PlayStation platforms. Having shipped three games for which we’ve won numerous awards, including 9 BAFTAs, we’re now working on Dreams for the PlayStation 4, the next generation of Play, Create, Share.

http://www.mediamolecule.com/jobs/working_here

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

Jun 13, '17, 9:05pm

Vane wrote:

The first one is good..but the sequels are more of the same. None of them really even nailed platforming it was always floatly

Tearaway is fine but even then its been years since that. This new game could be great but I have no clue what it is, I just hate how they have been given chances while other companies with no amazing but good games get kicked out even through its not like Media Molecule has made Sony money since the last little big planet game

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jun 13, '17, 9:36pm

JerrodDRagon wrote:The first one is good..but the sequels are more of the same. None of them really even nailed platforming it was always floatly

Tearaway is fine but even then its been years since that. This new game could be great but I have no clue what it is, I just hate how they have been given chances while other companies with no amazing but good games get kicked out even through its not like Media Molecule has made Sony money since the last little big planet game

Metacritic Scores

Little Big Planet: 95

Little Big Planet 2: 91

Tearaway Vita: 87

Tearaway Unfolded: 81

Again I'm not seeing where they've been running around for years fucking up. Those are some great scores right there.

If you want to compare to the studios you listed Liverpool and Zipper were shut down 5 years ago. It's hardly a recent development. The best selling Wipeout game sold less than a fifth of what the original LBP managed. Not one of the games Zipper released scored higher on Metacritic than Tearaway Unfolded in the time that Sony owned them.

Sony San Diego and Sony Santa Monica still exist and both have far more staff than Media Molecule.

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

Jun 13, '17, 9:50pm

Vane wrote:
JerrodDRagon wrote:The first one is good..but the sequels are more of the same. None of them really even nailed platforming it was always floatly

Metacritic Scores

Little Big Planet: 95

Little Big Planet 2: 91

Tearaway Vita: 87

Tearaway Unfolded: 81

Again I'm not seeing where they've been running around for years fucking up. Those are some great scores right there.

If you want to compare to the studios you listed Liverpool and Zipper were shut down 5 years ago. It's hardly a recent development. The best selling Wipeout game sold less than a fifth of what the original LBP managed. Not one of the games Zipper released scored higher on Metacritic than Tearaway Unfolded in the time that Sony owned them.

Sony San Diego and Sony Santa Monica still exist and both have far more staff than Media Molecule.

Then I can say there games are not for me and the other companies games and other staff made games that spoke to me

Return to “PlayStation”