Total votes: 19
Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Re: God of War | PS4 Reboot

Jan 02, '17, 2:30am

Brotherhood93 wrote:"Unmissable PS4 console exclusives in 2017"

I watched the video twice on my phone before replying, funny that I missed that. FailFish

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego
PSN: AirMcLaren

Jun 12, '17, 8:16pm

Added trailer and updated release window.
Twitter: @thechrismclaren
Battle.net: AirMcLaren#1687
Discord: AirMcLaren#6427

Valomek
Baller
PSN: Valomek

Jun 13, '17, 7:08am

I'm just so happy that it seems like Fenrisúlfr, Jormungandr and Níðhöggr are all going to be part of the game, and from the looks of the new trailer on the side of Kratos.

Seening Jörmungandr have almost made this game a day one purchase for me.

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Jun 13, '17, 8:42pm

Valomek wrote:Seening Jörmungandr have almost made this game a day one purchase for me.

Dude, I am so fucking hyped for this game. I hope the mythology is highlighted in the games story and it's not just here is a big god, you've got to kill it.

Learnt tonight that in Greek mythology Atreus (Kratos' son in the game) is actually from a cursed house, which was alluded to in the trailer so that's a positive sign. Also when Jörmungandr releases it's tail it's a sign that Ragnarok will begin, wonder if that is part of the games plot.

Off Topic
Kind of off topic, but I thought it was really interesting. Maybe I'm just a nerd for this stuff.

The House of Atreus begins with Tantalus. Tantalus was a son of Zeus who enjoyed cordial relations with the gods until he decided to slay his son Pelops and feed him to the gods as a test of their omniscience. Most of the gods, as they sat down to dinner with Tantalus, immediately understood what had happened, and, because they knew the nature of the meat they were served, were appalled and did not partake. But Demeter, who was distracted due to the abduction by Hades of her daughter Persephone, obliviously ate Pelops' shoulder. The gods threw Tantalus into the underworld, where he spends eternity standing in a pool of water beneath a fruit tree with low branches. Whenever he reaches for the fruit, the branches raise his intended meal from his grasp. Whenever he bends down to get a drink, the water recedes before he can drink. Thus is derived the word "tantalising".

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

God of War | PS4 Reboot

Jun 15, '17, 12:05pm

Guaranteed Day 1 purchase for me.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

God of War | PS4 Reboot

Jun 15, '17, 1:06pm

^Meme of the year portilloYell
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

God of War | PS4 Reboot

Jun 15, '17, 9:52pm

I hate what was GOW but I'll tell you what: This game looks fucking brilliant.

It looks more and more like a day 1 purchase for me. The way Santa Monica has shown his relationship with his son has been so well done.

I want in.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Jun 16, '17, 6:14am

Man, the trailer of this game almost made me run out and lay-by a PS4. I usually only get a console (usually Playstation. Usually a PC player) for the sports games (NHL, WWE), driving games (Gran Tourismo. If Nintendo announced a F-Zero game I would but a Switch instantly) and fight games (Bring on the next Mortal Kombat and Marvel vs Capcom) but by god, if that God of War trailer didn't make me dash to the store.
Steam: The_Redback
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback
Youtube: (Sometimes I livestream games here)

CinciBoiler
Baller
PSN: Izzyrules

Jun 16, '17, 6:21am

God of War will 100% be a Day 1 purchase for me. GoW was probably my favorite PS2 franchise, and played a very big role in bringing me back to being an everyday gamer after I had kinda drifted away from games during my college years.

That being said, I think after GoW2, things had fallen off somewhat. GoW3 was perfectly fine, but I've always felt something was missing from it. And then with the follow up Ascension, plus the PSP games being ported over to PS3, the formula for the series did start to become repetitious and Kratos himself certainly started to become stale. GoW's game play was always fun, but for the last few games I played I was never fully invested in the story or what was happening. The story was just a means to get me to the next action set piece. This new direction the game is taking is just what is needed. Great game play is always key, but it certainly helps when you actually are invested in the characters and story as well.
Last edited by CinciBoiler on Jun 16, '17, 7:05am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: CinciBoiler

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

God of War | PS4 Reboot

Jun 16, '17, 6:45am

After last year I was convinced I wasnt going to play this reboot because it looked like more methodical combat and thats not what i want in GoW. After this new trailer I'm all in. It looks like it has a hack n slash combat system so I'll be buying day 1 and killing some Norse gods

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego

Aug 05, '17, 9:06am

I'm playing GOW III Remastered right now and man... I think I'm in the minority when I say I wish the new GOW was going in the same gameplay direction as the previous titles (fixed camera action vs 3rd person OtS action adventure(?)).

I loved this series.

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Aug 05, '17, 9:56am

AirMcLaren wrote:I'm playing GOW III Remastered right now and man... I think I'm in the minority when I say I wish the new GOW was going in the same gameplay direction as the previous titles (fixed camera action vs 3rd person OtS action adventure(?)).

I loved this series.

I'm sure the combat will still be fast and fluid and you'll be stringing combos together. But it's understandable you love it and don't want it to change. A fresh approach to keep the series relevant is really smart. I think the new one will be a big success, it looks so promising.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Aug 05, '17, 12:08pm

AirMcLaren wrote:I'm playing GOW III Remastered right now and man... I think I'm in the minority when I say I wish the new GOW was going in the same gameplay direction as the previous titles (fixed camera action vs 3rd person OtS action adventure(?)).

I loved this series.

I am right there with you. I'm all for the story, character, and setting changes but I loved the original gameplay formula.

But an argument can be made that this gameplay shift is a better fit for the story. Kratos hacking and slashing through dozens of enemy waves while yelling at the top of his lungs doesn't quite fit this new interpersonal character-driven tone. Especially when you consider he's traveling with his kid.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

why2bee
Unsung Hero
PSN: why2bee

Aug 07, '17, 6:23am

Day 1 for me for sure. I purchased the GoW collection on Vita (trophies!) and just grabbed III remastered for ps4 as well.

My question is...is this a reboot? Kratos is older, he still has the scar across his midsection. I'm thinking this is a continuation of the story. The boy is a second chance at being at a father, etc. I'm interested to see how that plays out, because I do not think this is a straight reboot.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Aug 07, '17, 6:57am

why2bee wrote:Day 1 for me for sure. I purchased the GoW collection on Vita (trophies!) and just grabbed III remastered for ps4 as well.

My question is...is this a reboot? Kratos is older, he still has the scar across his midsection. I'm thinking this is a continuation of the story. The boy is a second chance at being at a father, etc. I'm interested to see how that plays out, because I do not think this is a straight reboot.

It's a soft reboot. It's a still a sequel to God Of War 3 and all the previous games are still canon, but everything else is brand new here. New mythos, new setting, new gameplay, new characters, and new storytelling tone.

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego

Aug 07, '17, 8:29am

Do we have any details as to why Sony Santa Monica replaced TC Carson for Christopher Judge?

The only thing I see cited is "going in a different direction."

Surely TC Carson is/was talented enough to voice Kratos is a more toned-down way...

CinciBoiler
Baller

Aug 07, '17, 10:30am

AirMcLaren wrote:Do we have any details as to why Sony Santa Monica replaced TC Carson for Christopher Judge?

Surely TC Carson is/was talented enough to voice Kratos is a more toned-down way...

Actually the first I'm hearing Carson isn't voicing Kratos. I didn't really pay attention enough to the trailer from E3 to notice. That's disappointing. Carson can certainly play a more toned down version, as most of his tv/movie roles are guys that are particularly even keeled.
Twitter: CinciBoiler

FallenVega8K
Unsung Hero

God of War | PS4 Reboot

Aug 07, '17, 10:56am

At first the major change did throw me off and the fact that Carson isn't voicing Kratos is also a huge bummer but being a Massive god of war Fan, I am glad they took on the task of changing it. Heck they even brought in the man who made God of War Great to begin with so they have my 100% faith in the game.

The only thing I need now is some Badass Collector's edition that I must add to my shelf.

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Aug 08, '17, 10:47am

^I swear, if they release a badass PS4 Pro custom system and controller bundle for God of War, I might need to buy it. I have never been interested in getting a variant console like that before, but damnit picturing the Omega symbol where the PS symbol usually goes....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

touchfuzzy
Shadow Boxer

Aug 08, '17, 1:39pm

CinciBoiler wrote:
AirMcLaren wrote:Do we have any details as to why Sony Santa Monica replaced TC Carson for Christopher Judge?

Actually the first I'm hearing Carson isn't voicing Kratos. I didn't really pay attention enough to the trailer from E3 to notice. That's disappointing. Carson can certainly play a more toned down version, as most of his tv/movie roles are guys that are particularly even keeled.

Ha I didn't even notice either.

I don't think it's a big deal breaker or anything, this new guy sounds reasonably the same. It's not like they went from a unique and iconic voice like say, David Hayter, to a generic and recognizable celebrity like say, Kiefer Sutherland.

Return to “PlayStation”