Devon
\m/
PSN: SolidSnake3035

Re: Death Stranding | Kojima Productions

Jan 09, '17, 12:56am

Mr_Jetton wrote:Death Stranding looks awesome and I'm huge fan of Kojima but I don't think we will get this game for a very long time.

I would like to think that the overall mess of Konami was responsible for most of the issues and delays with development on Kojima's previous projects.
I'd also like to think that the new collaboration between Kojima Productions and Guerilla, as well as encouragement/help/whatever from Sony, will end up tightening the development cycle a bit.

I'm sure everyone involved understands that there's a lot to prove and a lot at stake here, so I would be surprised if this is treated like any other production, and not given a lot of special treatment.

At the same time, it does seem like this is a fairly ambitious project, based on the themes and ideas we've been given so far.

Hopefully it has a smooth and successful development and we get to see it before 2020...
  Justify the Malice I portray

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Feb 04, '17, 6:50am

Kojima Says Death Stranding Is For PS4, Not PS5; Talks Possible Sequel And More
Hideo Kojima shares new details on Death Stranding.

Regarding his decision to partner with Sony for Death Stranding, DualShockers reports that Kojima said he received "many offers" before aligning with Sony. There were offers from people outside of gaming, apparently, including someone from the United Arab Emirates who offered "a lot of money."

Kojima ultimately chose Sony as a partner because he is familiar with the company. He also reportedly said that Sony gives him 100 percent creative freedom and that working with a big company like Sony will help the game have a better chance of succeeding. He said other companies might not be OK with showing Norman Reedus naked in Death Stranding's first trailer; this is an example of the mutual trust that Sony and Kojima have, he said.

Also during the talk, Kojima was asked if Death Stranding will have virtual reality elements. It sounds like it won't. "At this time, Death Stranding is not a VR game," he said. Additionally, Kojima said he is not currently planning a Death Stranding sequel, but will consider it if there is enough demand.

He also provided an update on how Death Stranding is coming along and what it will offer to fans. He said the open-world game will offer players a "large degree of freedom," according to DualShockers.

"Kojima feels that gamers that are used to playing AAA games on high-end platforms will feel at home in this kind of game, but after playing for two or three hours. they'll notice that there's something a little different about it," the site reported.

Regarding the current state of the game, Kojima said the team at Kojima Productions is currently working on game logic and doing test on various systems on the framework. In 2017, the focus will be on filling out the game world, adding on to the foundation.

It sounds like early days for Death Stranding. It has no confirmed release date yet, though a 2018 release is rumored. Someone asked Kojima if the game will be a PlayStation 5 game when it finally comes out; he said this won't be the case. It will be a PS4 game. Sony has not announced a PS5, so that's just speculation at this point. - Gamespot

It was an interesting interview, if anyone wants to watch the full thing I think it's archived on Twitch here.

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Feb 05, '17, 7:00am

That's rude to ask Kojima if it's going to be a PS5 game.

No matter where you get to, there you are

GregB
Baller

Feb 05, '17, 1:45pm

MeatCake wrote:That's rude to ask Kojima if it's going to be a PS5 game.

He announced a game extremely early in it's production cycle. Questions about it's release timeline are entirely valid. Hell, given the vague nature of this thing I think it would be entirely fair to ask him if it is in fact a video game and not some abstract marketing experiment.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Death Stranding | Kojima Productions

Dec 08, '17, 7:45am

This will not be a PS5 game. 2019 at the earliest and 2020 at the latest. portilloNick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZEab9P6kk

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Dec 08, '17, 8:04am

^I mean, it might be as a port akin to TLOU Remastered.

But I get what you mean, I stand by that this will potentially be one of the three games that will finish out the PS4 and bridge towards the PS5.

Plus, that trailer was triiipppyyyyy and I loved it. Still not quite clear what it is meant to steer towards, but it is slowly starting to kinda somewhat piece together. Dat baby thumbs up tho.

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Dec 08, '17, 8:13am

That trailer was fucking awesome.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Dec 08, '17, 8:24am

SonofMar wrote:^I mean, it might be as a port akin to TLOU Remastered.

But I get what you mean, I stand by that this will potentially be one of the three games that will finish out the PS4 and bridge towards the PS5.

Plus, that trailer was triiipppyyyyy and I loved it. Still not quite clear what it is meant to steer towards, but it is slowly starting to kinda somewhat piece together. Dat baby thumbs up tho.

BetoJR wrote:That trailer was fucking awesome.

The baby in the esophagus was such a Kojima move. Also loved that finger pointing gesture from what I assume to be Mads Mikkelsen in disguise. He did the same thing in the second trailer and I hope that's his recurring theme throughout the game.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

BetoJR
Baller

Dec 08, '17, 8:38am

Raging Light wrote:The baby in the esophagus was such a Kojima move.

OMFG! PogChamp

I was watching that damn show with my wife and the kids sleeping next to me, in the bedroom (timezone differences and all) and I almost burst out laughing, at that! If I had woke them up, I'm sure I'd have suffered a beating - now, if that would have been a verbal one or, at least, a pillow to the face, that's another story...

Three to one aren't odds I favor, no sir. portilloNick

Those guys are weird fucking weirdos. And I love them for it. portilloTrueLove

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Dec 08, '17, 9:18am

I don't know...that trailer actually turned me off from the game to be honest. There have been three trailers already and still no one has any clue what this game is about. That makes it seem like it's going to be really confusing and when you have such a complicated and convoluted plot, there's the possibility that the game becomes too complicated for it's own good.

I went from being interested in the game to "wait and see" mode. There's a huge possibility that this game is going to be way too overhyped. I realized I'm in the minority but nothing I've seen gives me any confidence in the game being good yet.

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Dec 08, '17, 9:24am

Raging Light wrote:
The baby in the esophagus was such a Kojima move. Also loved that finger pointing gesture from what I assume to be Mads Mikkelsen in disguise. He did the same thing in the second trailer and I hope that's his recurring theme throughout the game.

Yeah I am wondering who he might be in the most recent trailer. My thinking is potentially one of the babies grown, maybe that floating guy that pointed and did the whisper motion on top of the car about midway. Just so many questions still

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Dec 08, '17, 9:30am

nicktorious_BLT wrote:I don't know...that trailer actually turned me off from the game to be honest. There have been three trailers already and still no one has any clue what this game is about. That makes it seem like it's going to be really confusing and when you have such a complicated and convoluted plot, there's the possibility that the game becomes too complicated for it's own good.

I went from being interested in the game to "wait and see" mode. There's a huge possibility that this game is going to be way too overhyped. I realized I'm in the minority but nothing I've seen gives me any confidence in the game being good yet.

Have you played any of Kojima's previous games?

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dec 08, '17, 9:35am

Raging Light wrote:Have you played any of Kojima's previous games?

Yes. I'm totally familiar with how complicated and crazy his stories can get. It's very on brand for him. However, that doesn't always translate to a great game.

touchfuzzy
Shadow Boxer

Dec 08, '17, 9:38am

Looks like the usual non-sensical tripe all his other games have been but without a publisher getting him to reign it in a little bit. Hard pass at the moment.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Dec 08, '17, 9:48am

nicktorious_BLT wrote:
Raging Light wrote:Have you played any of Kojima's previous games?

Yes. I'm totally familiar with how complicated and crazy his stories can get. It's very on brand for him. However, that doesn't always translate to a great game.

Sure, but I find it odd that you're hesitant about this game but not his previous works. I was always an outside observer of his games until just recently. And while I found the supernatural elements in the MGS series to be largely unnecessary, in this game they seem to be right at home. I have full confidence that this is going to be an intriguing experience that will be fun to play.

KindaMatt
Seducer
PSN: MattKZ11

Dec 08, '17, 9:51am

my non-gamer girlfriend : what is this?

Me: so let me give you some context .

there is this very famous Japanese game maker that does cool but veeeeeery weird things.
In this game there is the guy from the walking dead, Norman Reedus (you know him right?) who wakes up on this island and holds a baby who has a cord attached to him. and his hands are cover in this black liquid and there are invisible things around walking . and then things around him raise and you see that all the fish are dead.
Then there is this other character, he's Guillermo Del Toro ! you know him right? anyway this other guy is walking in this devastated landscape, again holding a baby inside some sort of chamber. there are planes and there are tanks with again that black liquid and worm-like things coming out of them. and there are soldiers. and the guy, Guillermo, he's trying to hide. and then he finds this broken dolls in a sewer. and in that sewer there are other soldiers with again that black stuff which is also in their eyes. and they reveal what appears to be the villain, he's a famous actor, Mads Mikkelsen, you know him right? anyway this guy with some sort of cables that control the other soldiers, and the doll blinks at him.

and so basically long story short I have no clue about what we just saw but yeah this guy is a weirdo and we like him that way

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dec 08, '17, 9:53am

Raging Light wrote:Sure, but I find it odd that you're hesitant about this game but not his previous works. I was always an outside observer of his games until just recently. And while I found the supernatural elements in the MGS series to be largely unnecessary, in this game they seem to be right at home. I have full confidence that this is going to be an intriguing experience that will be fun to play.

I mean, I have always been hesitant with his games in the past. MGSV was complicated and convoluted at times but it never strayed past the line of bat-shit crazy, although it was close. Death Stranding looks like it is way past that line and right now I have no clue what is going on, even though I had some semblance of what was going on with some of his past games. Perhaps that's because he has had a publisher to reign him in in the past, but I'm not sure. To me that makes me a little more hesitant.

I'm not saying that Death Stranding is going to for sure be bad...but it has the possibility. Who knows, maybe the fourth trailer will shed a little more light on what this game is going to be and then maybe I'll be back on board. If this game delivers then I'll eat my words. But right now I am perfectly content with being on the sidelines until I figure out what this game is actually going to be.

BetoJR
Baller

Dec 08, '17, 10:15am

I'm resisting an urge to quote Riverdale's Jughead "weird" speech and relate it to Kojima and his publisher partner (in this case, isn't it Sony?).

No, I won't do it.

ThisIsFine

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Dec 08, '17, 6:19pm

nicktorious_BLT wrote:I went from being interested in the game to "wait and see" mode. There's a huge possibility that this game is going to be way too overhyped. I realized I'm in the minority but nothing I've seen gives me any confidence in the game being good yet.

You're not alone. Third trailer now and still just as obtuse as the first. It has nothing to say. Because you know how most people work out their visions? With pen and paper, and behind closed doors. This smells of a bunch of self-indulgence, but on Sony's dime this time. You hyped him into godlike status and see what you get? Even the actor is calling him a genius and I bet he has no better idea what it's about... At this point, Kojima could render a CGI movie of his own butt pinching a loaf and everyone who watched would also lose their shit over it.

No matter where you get to, there you are

GuyDude
Best Friend
PSN: Spyderbat97
NNID: nmolinar

Dec 08, '17, 11:36pm

So honestly my patience for this game is starting to wear a bit thin, I'm still interested to see what this game will be but I was expecting gameplay at this point (There is a build for that as quickly mentioned in the PSX interview) maybe E3 they'll finally show it off but these trailers are kinda losing a bit of their magic, at least for me

Return to “PlayStation”