ROFL
Producer

Xbox one X

Nov 06, '17, 4:18pm

Wiskysin wrote:That's merely your opinion. I don't think your points are wrong, at all. You don't get to call to my opinion false, though. I spent all of last generation on Xbox. That matters because the comment isnt coming from someone that doesn't even have an XBL Gamertag. My Day One Xbox One is on every single day as my TV portal and YouTube box. If there were any 1st party games I wanted to play, I wouldn't be turning on my PS4 to play everything. Sure, if it's all you have, you have plenty to do (multi-plats).

If Microsoft invested more into developing exclusive content from 2013-2016 then you’re just wrong, and every indication is that Sony was no more invested in software development than Microsoft in that time.
Sony and Microsoft are probably still making virtually identical investments into new software, but Microsoft is keeping more if it hidden until closer to release, e.g. Forza 7 launched within 4 months of the reveal. That kind of marketing is ideal for making maximum impact in the time before release.

Wiskysin
Shadow Boxer
XBL: Wiskysin
PSN: DoctorSyntax

Xbox one X

Nov 06, '17, 7:41pm

Huh? I'm wrong that I haven't found more than a game or two since 2013 making me want to play my Xbox One? I realize it's a matter of preference in games. The options on Xbox One are limited. I'm sorry... kfhappy kfhappy

I'm a businessman, and even I can't parse out anything out of that paragraph which would explain how Microsoft has absolved itself of shitting the bed so badly on first party content since the release of the Xbox One. Flops and cancellations are the name of the game.

They have a first party problem.

Phil Spencer directly admitted this today, so..,he's not even trying to spin it. Big move from P3. I like him.

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Xbox one X

Nov 08, '17, 12:00pm

MeatCake wrote:If I were to buy an Xbox One X now, I would have to admit that I didn't learn anything from upgrading my Xbox One to Xbox One Elite (waste of money for a useless hybrid drive) nor from upgrading my PS4 to PS4 Pro.

The good news is that I’ve secured a Project Scorpio Edition a day after launch without reserving or pre-ordering or going to midnight sales. The bad news is that I haven’t changed my ways.

Kidding. The new PS4-esque hybrid form factor, hiding the transformer, and the stand helped me make my mind.
Put that flag down and lift up your neighbour instead

vmacjohnson3
Best Friend
PSN: vmacjohnson3

Xbox one X

Nov 08, '17, 12:40pm

I have a question that I'm sure has been answered before, and I probably know the answer to as well, but if people buying or already owning the OG One of the One S, without plans of upgrading, will they still be hit with the extra downloads for the X enhanced games? I'd assume it's an auto download like the updates for the Pro, but just curious as nobody is talking about original hard drive space, just space being taken up on the X.

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer
XBL: shanest88
PSN: shanethesaint88

Xbox one X

Nov 08, '17, 1:42pm

MeatCake wrote:
MeatCake wrote:If I were to buy an Xbox One X now, I would have to admit that I didn't learn anything from upgrading my Xbox One to Xbox One Elite (waste of money for a useless hybrid drive) nor from upgrading my PS4 to PS4 Pro.

The good news is that I’ve secured a Project Scorpio Edition a day after launch without reserving or pre-ordering or going to midnight sales. The bad news is that I haven’t changed my ways.

Kidding. The new PS4-esque hybrid form factor, hiding the transformer, and the stand helped me make my mind.

Be careful with the vertical stand. It seems very easy to slide it in and out of place

KFlo
Unsung Hero
XBL: Brabinski
PSN: Brabinski

Xbox one X

Nov 08, '17, 3:22pm

vmacjohnson3 wrote:I have a question that I'm sure has been answered before, and I probably know the answer to as well, but if people buying or already owning the OG One of the One S, without plans of upgrading, will they still be hit with the extra downloads for the X enhanced games? I'd assume it's an auto download like the updates for the Pro, but just curious as nobody is talking about original hard drive space, just space being taken up on the X.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to download the 4K assets if you don't want to.

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Xbox one X

Nov 08, '17, 7:32pm

shanethesaint88 wrote:
MeatCake wrote:[Kidding. The new PS4-esque hybrid form factor, hiding the transformer, and the stand helped me make my mind.

Be careful with the vertical stand. It seems very easy to slide it in and out of place

My stand feels firm. Not the toughest lock-in, but not the weakest either. There's good friction from the console weight. I'm glad I went with this one, having the stand, instead of the regular edition without. But the "Project Scorpio" stencil is nothing to write home about. That looks lazy and obligatory rather than done with a designer's eye.

ROFL
Producer

Xbox one X

Nov 09, '17, 12:07am

Wiskysin wrote:Huh? I'm wrong that I haven't found more than a game or two since 2013 making me want to play my Xbox One? I realize it's a matter of preference in games. The options on Xbox One are limited. I'm sorry... kfhappy kfhappy

I'm a businessman, and even I can't parse out anything out of that paragraph which would explain how Microsoft has absolved itself of shitting the bed so badly on first party content since the release of the Xbox One. Flops and cancellations are the name of the game.

They have a first party problem.

Phil Spencer directly admitted this today, so..,he's not even trying to spin it. Big move from P3. I like him.

It’s called “willful Ignorance”, and you’ve bought into the never-ending stream of hate the Media has for Microsoft.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... -cambridge
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... ion-studio
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... -liverpool
https://venturebeat.com/2012/03/31/sony ... teractive/
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -205-Staff
https://kotaku.com/sony-sells-off-studi ... 1683267881

Who’s closing all their game studios?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_v ... ertainment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_v ... ft_Studios

Now got look at the actual number of games published by each company on PS4 and Xbox One from 2013-2016.
2013 and 2014 are absolutely PATHETIC years for Sony, and 2015 has nothing to compete with Halo 5, in the words of Shuhei Yoshida himself:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... laystation
How do you think your line-up compares to Microsoft's line-up this Christmas?

Shuhei Yoshida: I wouldn't do so! [laughs] People wouldn't just look at the first party line-up when they're making a purchase decision.

Then 2016 was actually a better year for Microsoft overall with the one exception that Uncharted 4 was (and remains) Sony’s most successful game this generation.

KFlo
Unsung Hero
XBL: Brabinski
PSN: Brabinski

Re: Xbox one X

Nov 09, '17, 12:25pm

That Shu quote is pretty funny considering the rhetoric you hear from PS4 fanboys being "exclusives sell consoles!!" If that was really the case then every PS exclusive should be in the 50 mill plus sold range.

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Nov 10, '17, 12:57pm

What you don’t see in pictures or videos is that the top side of the console has a very shallow squared dimpling effect. So this isn’t just a plain sheet of plastic. This looks like serious kit and a confident player and this is what the face of Xbox One should have been all along.

TheFabledHunter
Unsung Hero
XBL: TheFabledHero
PSN: TheFabledHunter
Steam: TheFabledHero

Nov 23, '17, 9:06pm

I honestly don't feel the Xbox One X is worth the money. I honestly really wanted to get it, but at the same time, I feel very conflicted. Halo in 4K sounds amazing, especially for someone who was with Xbox for a long time and a die hard Halo fan. But all that hardware is only going to be used to make the games look better and run well. It's not going to be used for game mechanics or to make new, innovative games because it also has to work on the other Xbox One's. So it's $500 for better graphics and frame-rates which is a lot to ask for. It's only worth it if you don't have an Xbox One. Not to mention Microsoft doesn't really have many enticing games (By that, I mean exclusives) that will make people want to get it more. That's why I got the PS4 Pro. It was seeing their exclusive games on the new hardware that made me, at the end of the day, buy it. Xbox One X has failed to do that for me, most of their exclusives were pushed back or not that interesting and not many were announced. No new Halo, nothing from Remedy, Lionhead is dead. For me, it's about the games at the end of the day because that's why you buy a console. Xbox One X isn't about games. It's about a power for a prettier image. That's not enough for me.

ROFL
Producer

Nov 24, '17, 3:12am

TheFabledHunter wrote:I honestly don't feel the Xbox One X is worth the money. I honestly really wanted to get it, but at the same time, I feel very conflicted. Halo in 4K sounds amazing, especially for someone who was with Xbox for a long time and a die hard Halo fan. But all that hardware is only going to be used to make the games look better and run well. It's not going to be used for game mechanics or to make new, innovative games because it also has to work on the other Xbox One's. So it's $500 for better graphics and frame-rates which is a lot to ask for. It's only worth it if you don't have an Xbox One. Not to mention Microsoft doesn't really have many enticing games (By that, I mean exclusives) that will make people want to get it more. That's why I got the PS4 Pro. It was seeing their exclusive games on the new hardware that made me, at the end of the day, buy it. Xbox One X has failed to do that for me, most of their exclusives were pushed back or not that interesting and not many were announced. No new Halo, nothing from Remedy, Lionhead is dead. For me, it's about the games at the end of the day because that's why you buy a console. Xbox One X isn't about games. It's about a power for a prettier image. That's not enough for me.

You’ve got one big fundamental misunderstanding about Xbox X.
Resolution does not just make games look pretty.
Resolution Is Gameplay.
Especially in shooters. You can’t hit something you can’t see, the better people can see the larger developers can push environments and engagement distances. This isn’t a significant hardware limitation, it’s a design decision. 4K encourages more open play.
Blood Gulch in 4K will be totally different, the pistol in Halo 1 is going to take on a whole new life all over again.
4K Split Screen Multiplayer will be almost an entirely different experience when everyone has a full 1080p screen to themselves. Remember that Split Screen is now taking a leap in resolution almost as big as the single screen experience going straight from Halo 1 on OG Xbox all the way to Halo 5 (the first Halo designed to run 1080p).
And let’s not forget Xbox One “can” connect with up to 8 controllers simultaneously.
4K perfectly splits into 9 boxes of 720p resolution, meaning 4v4 with one TV is a distinct possiblity thanks to 4K. I really hope Microsoft is looking into this kind of thing.
Ok, I love Split Screen, enough about that (MInecraft 4K Split Screen will be awesome too, imagine that with 8 people, the pop-up party potential is incredible).

It was interesting comparing DOOM 2016 with the original DOOM. Back in the 90’s playing a sprite based shooter, enemies were big and bright, not just for aesthetics, but because on a 320x240 monitor they needed to be highly visible in order for people to actually be able to target and shoot them. DOOM 2016 would be utterly unplayable at the same resolution, the environments are too big and the Imps (that usually kill you in two hits on Nightmare) are basically only identified by their two tiny glowing eyes.
DOOM 2016 is already more playable in 4K than at 1080p (Especially on PC where you can take advantage of a 120 Degree FOV).
1080p to 4K isn’t as drastic a jump as from 640x480 to 1080p, but it’s close. 640x480 to 1080p is a 6.75x resolution boost, where 1080p to 4K is a 4x boost.

Another thing I’m really looking forward to is the improved UI.
Subtlety is something that is generally missing from most games, if you’re supposed to see something they put a giant arrow above it, make it glow, or make the object about 10x bigger than it should be (usually the case with any keys you need to collect).
But now that developers are at least looking at their content with more clarity (as long as they have a 4K build), they can start designing elements of their game that should look more realistic than it would have been just targeting 1080p.
HUD elements should be getting a full 4K redesign. The era of console shooters being stuck with giant crosshairs could be on the verge of ending.

In the end I actually think waiting until next year is a good idea, Xbox X supports HDMI 2.1 and we should be seeing sets with that video interface next year. If you get a TV now I think it’s highly likely you’ll be replacing it next fall.

TheFabledHunter
Unsung Hero
XBL: TheFabledHero
PSN: TheFabledHunter
Steam: TheFabledHero

Nov 24, '17, 7:22am

ROFL wrote:
TheFabledHunter wrote:I honestly don't feel the Xbox One X is worth the money. I honestly really wanted to get it, but at the same time, I feel very conflicted. Halo in 4K sounds amazing, especially for someone who was with Xbox for a long time and a die hard Halo fan. But all that hardware is only going to be used to make the games look better and run well. It's not going to be used for game mechanics or to make new, innovative games because it also has to work on the other Xbox One's. So it's $500 for better graphics and frame-rates which is a lot to ask for. It's only worth it if you don't have an Xbox One. Not to mention Microsoft doesn't really have many enticing games (By that, I mean exclusives) that will make people want to get it more. That's why I got the PS4 Pro. It was seeing their exclusive games on the new hardware that made me, at the end of the day, buy it. Xbox One X has failed to do that for me, most of their exclusives were pushed back or not that interesting and not many were announced. No new Halo, nothing from Remedy, Lionhead is dead. For me, it's about the games at the end of the day because that's why you buy a console. Xbox One X isn't about games. It's about a power for a prettier image. That's not enough for me.

You’ve got one big fundamental misunderstanding about Xbox X.
Resolution does not just make games look pretty.
Resolution Is Gameplay.
Especially in shooters. You can’t hit something you can’t see, the better people can see the larger developers can push environments and engagement distances. This isn’t a significant hardware limitation, it’s a design decision. 4K encourages more open play.
Blood Gulch in 4K will be totally different, the pistol in Halo 1 is going to take on a whole new life all over again.
4K Split Screen Multiplayer will be almost an entirely different experience when everyone has a full 1080p screen to themselves. Remember that Split Screen is now taking a leap in resolution almost as big as the single screen experience going straight from Halo 1 on OG Xbox all the way to Halo 5 (the first Halo designed to run 1080p).
And let’s not forget Xbox One “can” connect with up to 8 controllers simultaneously.
4K perfectly splits into 9 boxes of 720p resolution, meaning 4v4 with one TV is a distinct possiblity thanks to 4K. I really hope Microsoft is looking into this kind of thing.
Ok, I love Split Screen, enough about that (MInecraft 4K Split Screen will be awesome too, imagine that with 8 people, the pop-up party potential is incredible).

It was interesting comparing DOOM 2016 with the original DOOM. Back in the 90’s playing a sprite based shooter, enemies were big and bright, not just for aesthetics, but because on a 320x240 monitor they needed to be highly visible in order for people to actually be able to target and shoot them. DOOM 2016 would be utterly unplayable at the same resolution, the environments are too big and the Imps (that usually kill you in two hits on Nightmare) are basically only identified by their two tiny glowing eyes.
DOOM 2016 is already more playable in 4K than at 1080p (Especially on PC where you can take advantage of a 120 Degree FOV).
1080p to 4K isn’t as drastic a jump as from 640x480 to 1080p, but it’s close. 640x480 to 1080p is a 6.75x resolution boost, where 1080p to 4K is a 4x boost.

Another thing I’m really looking forward to is the improved UI.
Subtlety is something that is generally missing from most games, if you’re supposed to see something they put a giant arrow above it, make it glow, or make the object about 10x bigger than it should be (usually the case with any keys you need to collect).
But now that developers are at least looking at their content with more clarity (as long as they have a 4K build), they can start designing elements of their game that should look more realistic than it would have been just targeting 1080p.
HUD elements should be getting a full 4K redesign. The era of console shooters being stuck with giant crosshairs could be on the verge of ending.

In the end I actually think waiting until next year is a good idea, Xbox X supports HDMI 2.1 and we should be seeing sets with that video interface next year. If you get a TV now I think it’s highly likely you’ll be replacing it next fall.

All very interesting and not things I considered. It seems I still have many things to learn. I honestly am excited about the Xbox One X and I love the philosophy behind it. No matter what console you have, you can still play all the games you want, talk to your friends and it will run well and look good. That's the idea at least. I liked reading your wall. As strangely mean as that sounds, I honestly mean it. portilloKevin

ROFL
Producer

Nov 24, '17, 10:19am

TheFabledHunter wrote: *Snip*
All very interesting and not things I considered. It seems I still have many things to learn. I honestly am excited about the Xbox One X and I love the philosophy behind it. No matter what console you have, you can still play all the games you want, talk to your friends and it will run well and look good. That's the idea at least. I liked reading your wall. As strangely mean as that sounds, I honestly mean it. portilloKevin

Before the Scorpio announcement I was super hyped for PS4 Pro, and still would be if it were actually being utilized properly.
Developer support is the biggest problem with that box. Half the games shipping should do Checkerboard 4K, it’s what the console was made to do, but too many developers just use 1440p as the cheap and easy way to pump out a patch.

It was the delay of GT:Sport that really killed it for me, that “would” have been my “killer app” on PS4... but by the time GT:Sport was ready Forza 7 was already showing off 4K60 with high resolution textures. Which was for the best in the end given that GT:Sport is basically unplayable offline. I would have sold the whole thing in disgust if I had actually bought it for that game.
I actually don’t even need Xbox Live to play Forza because it still tracks hotlaps without using a Gold account (at least Forza 6 does, I have Forza 7 coming in the mail, we’ll see), so most people just comparing lap times have no reason to actually join a lobby.

Return to “Xbox”