retinals
Best Friend
XBL: Darkblade210

Xbox one X

Jun 12, '17, 12:12pm

How is everyone looking at this new upgraded console? I'm not exactly sure what to think but I wanna get your opinion on the mindset of Microsoft to release this.

TLDR: Why do u think Microsoft is releasing this?

My best educated guess is they are slowly making pc and xbox similar to each other and banking on hardcore audiences. On PC everyone can run the same games (unless really old hardware) with changes in resolution graphical settings and frames per second. In the PC market people sometimes pay huge amounts of money just to get a slight increase in performance from the games they play. I view xbox one X as something like that - for PC players it could be akin to upgrading you graphics card or CPU to be able to crank up the settings from high to ultra and performance increases such as that.

I know this is kinda a playstation community but I'm hopeful you guys have some interesting ideas to the mindset of Microsoft. I think even if xbox one X fails this is an important moment in history so id like to get your opinion!

(Sidenote: The PC analogy where low end computers can play games in lower settings while high ends crank up to highest graphics is why I thought it was weird people thought xbox one X games wouldn't work on the original xbox one)

Wiskysin
Shadow Boxer
XBL: Wiskysin
PSN: DoctorSyntax

Xbox One X

Jun 12, '17, 2:07pm

Well, it's a very big upgrade for consoles that I don't think is going to sway people to buy it until they see it and use it. Seeing is believing. It's kinda like PSVR in that way. Every non-gamer I put the headset on was amazed and said they couldn't describe it. That said, like with both devices, it needs to be driven by games. I haven't played my XboxOne much at all since it's been out, which is sad. There just aren't enough games I want to play on it. I use it like Andy does -- it's on daily as an entertainment box.

Regardless of the XB1X's success or failure, people would do well to stop looking at consoles as they've viewed them for the last 35+ years. They are not going to be incremental upgrade boxes every 10 years as they have been, which is what everyone is conditioned to seeing. Everything is obvious after the fact.

I don't know how it's all going to shake out, but this is where Sony will end up getting pulled along for the ride whether they want to go on it or not. I think Sony is going to have a better showing again at E3, however I'm really not sure how their long game is going to pan out when the paradigm shifts, pun intended. I am interested to see what they have up their sleeve for new hardware. They're gonna need an announcement by this time next year or before. They're going to need to compete with a higher end box and this will be more and more true as the calendar years progress.

I don't marry myself to brands like a lot of gamers do, so I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I want to play the best games wherever they are, and they're on multiple systems. It's very clear to me that things are going to change drastically over the next 5 years.

retinals
Best Friend

Xbox One X

Jun 12, '17, 3:18pm

Wiskysin wrote:I don't know how it's all going to shake out, but this is where Sony will end up getting pulled along for the ride whether they want to go on it or not. I think Sony is going to have a better showing again at E3, however I'm really not sure how their long game is going to pan out when the paradigm shifts, pun intended. I am interested to see what they have up their sleeve for new hardware. They're gonna need an announcement by this time next year or before. They're going to need to compete with a higher end box and this will be more and more true as the calendar years progress.

I am interested if you know anything about how sony might do an incremental update type system. From the little I know about Microsoft it seems like there is some similarity in making games for xbox and PC - turning on different settings between upgraded hardware such as xbox one and xbox X may be easier for them as its normally designed like that in computer games.

I wonder if sony has the same engine capability with their games. I'm predominantly an PC gamer so seeing consoles become more like PCs is awesome to me. It will take some time I bet for console players to adjust to the mentality that PC players usually abide to - That it is ok if your hardware is a little behind the times and that running a game with lower settings then someone else is not the worst thing the world. It is not a competition even tho even PC players are definitely guilty of that lol

BasicExp
Seducer
XBL: BasicExp

The Xbox One and Who is it For; Answered!

Jun 12, '17, 11:54pm

With notable names like Ryan McCaffery, Jason Schreier and KindaFunny's very own Greg Miller all posing the question "Who is this console for?", I decided I should do my best to answer the question.

There are a few points that continue to get made and I am going to break them down, demonstrating how self fulfilling of their own answer these conjectures really are. I will do my best to avoid anecdotes and self-serving bias but I will remind you that I am human, mostly.

True 4K

The most common comment about this systems seems to be the low market saturation of 4K TVs and that there is almost no one who can take advantage of this capability. Putting aside the fact that the market for 1080p TVs was in a similar state when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were released aside, this is an odd argument to make to me. The variety of devices delivering 4K to a TV to begin with, is a short list, and further more, not a list of inexpensive machines. Feel free to give a quick Google search for UHD Blu-Ray players, and you will see what I mean. You may be reminded of a similar situation where people began to buy PS3's because they were the most affordable Blu-Ray player on the market. There is a heaping pile of irony there I hope you appreciate as much as I do. So when you ask the question, who is this console for in terms of people who already own, or plan to own a 4K TV, the answer is all of them. The XOX is a 4K video game machine, Netflix machine, UHD-Blu-Ray machine and every other video service you can think of.

TL;DR The XOX is a simple answer to the somewhat obscure question, how do I actually get 4K content on to my 4K TV?

No Exclusivity / Expensive

Again, another very common conjecture is that their is nothing the XOX will play that the original XO/XOS/PC will not. This certainly will dissuade some people from the upgrade, but not in that "I do not want it" way, so much as a "It is not necessary" way. In the case of the owner of a high end PC, there is actually no real reason to buy a XOX, and I do not think that is a bad thing. Xbox has made it clear, that a Windows 10 gamer, is an Xbox Gamer (outside the reason listed above, if PC to TV proximity is a problem).

That being, said there is something to be said for wanting the best of what is available and the predilection to "future proof". Maybe you do not have a 4K TV now, but the next one will be for sure and that itch, that undeniable itch that gets to the heart of gamers, knowing there is a box that you can have that will just make everything a little bit shinier. This exact notion has fueled the "console wars" themselves, with people being quick to bring up performance, and no matter what we saying, it gets under the skin a little bit when you are not playing on the better box. This that same annoying feeling we all get when we go to buy a new phone, and the old model is cheaper than the new model... but it's not the new model.

It is worth mentioning at least in passing, that the XOX is the same price the XO was on release, which affectively makes it cheaper and I wont belabor the specs, but they are better, much better. PC gamers can testify to just how expensive getting a 4K PC can really be, and a $499 USD price tag is not too bad when you start parting out that build.

TL;DR So despite that you can play everything on the XO/XOS, there will those people who cannot resists the prospect of the better box, the future proofing and the ability to sell their Xbox One S, to take a chunk out of the cost of the Xbox One X. If people can find an excuse or means to get the better box, they will.

Early Adopters / Hardcore Fans

These people are your best friends. Not literally of course, we can be a bit a abrasive in reality, but we are the people who spend way too much money on these technologies so that the price to produce them gets shoved down, and you can then buy it at a reasonable price. There is this threshold of gamers, that although may live somewhere between being content on either the PC or console platforms, we stick to one or the other for varying reasons; maybe both. All the same, we get excited when that shinny new thing comes out, and we buy it not because we need it, but simply because we want it, and we can. There is nothing complicated about this, it is just some people's passion to be on the edge of tech, and a lot of us happen to be passionate gamers as well.

TL;DR Some of us just love gaming too much; we are to invested and will readily buy the better box because it's fun and we just can't help our selves.

In the very least, I hope this gives you some insight in to the mind of someone who fully intends to buy an Xbox One X, as soon as preorders will allow.
Regards,

Dustin "Basic"

B.A. Political Studies
Computer Systems Technologist
BasicExp.com

Wildblood
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: Danaxus82

Re: Xbox one X

Jun 13, '17, 3:47am

My main problem with the console was how non-committal Microsoft was about it. Is this an iteration to be followed by future iterations? Can I buy this now, skip the next iteration in 3 years, and upgrade in 6 years whilst still being able to play every Xbox game that comes out in the meantime? Or will this become obsolete in 2-3 years when a new generation of consoles start?

I'm also really didn't like the apparent messaging: "This is the best console for playing 3rd Party games", which implies "you're probably better off with a PS4 Pro. Sure, your 3rd party games won't look as good, but you'll have access to ALL the great Sony first party exclusives. Btw, the PS4 makes games look pretty amazing too - just not quite AS amazing".

Microsoft is asking me to pay 500$. Now I'm ok with that, but I need reassurances both in terms of content that supports the console, as well as longevity. Sony made the case very clear with PS4 Pro "This is a mid-life release. This will be obsolete in 2019/2020", so why won't Microsoft?

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer
XBL: shanest88
PSN: shanethesaint88

Jun 13, '17, 5:26am

Will happily buy the console day 1. This console is specifically for me. Someone who wants the best graphics a console could offer and who doesn't have the time money or space to build a high end pc. I don't care that Microsoft didn't have all the exclusives or whatever. I already have a PS4 pro so I'll be able to play Playstations exclusives. I just want this to have great 4K graphics. Period.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Xbox one X

Jun 13, '17, 8:40am

I've been holding off purchasing an Xbox One S because I wanted to see what Scorpio was all about. But now we know it's just a suped up Xbox One S with 'native' 4K and faster processing. Why would I pay $500 for a console that's more than halfway through it's life cycle? Especially when I can just pick up a slim for half the price and buy a better 4K console in a couple of years (when next gen starts)? It won't even enhance the entire Xbox One library at launch. Only a handful will be supported. This is an obvious ploy to get people to pay extra money for no good reason. If you are charging a premium price we should get a premium experience. Instead it's a premium price tag with a bunch of caveats and concessions.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums
Steam: Frostilyte

Xbox one X

Jun 13, '17, 9:54am

Raging Light wrote:(when next gen starts)?

Not to disparage your line of thinking or decision: if the same architecture is used in the underlying hardware then the "next generation" should still be able to run the games of the current generation. Think of it like a computer where your library isn't limited by generational gaps, but rather by the hardware you are using to run the games themselves (not exactly one to one, but I think you'll get what I mean). If this does end up being the case you might very well be rewarded for waiting for price reductions or a more power system to come along as you'll be able to play all of the games that have been released for the Xbox (again, this is dependent on MS not completely changing the majority of what happens under the hood).
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog
Steam: Frostilyte
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Wildblood
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: Danaxus82

Xbox one X

Jun 13, '17, 11:51am

Frostilyte wrote:

If this does end up being the case you might very well be rewarded for waiting for price reductions or a more power system to come along as you'll be able to play all of the games that have been released for the Xbox (again, this is dependent on MS not completely changing the majority of what happens under the hood).

Agree with Frosti here. The only caveat being there's no idea how long you'll have to wait. Sony has the collective go-ahead to release a new console in 2019 (what I mean is, there won't be any backlash to a 2019 release, in fact, it may be demanded of them by fans). That's 6 years after the PS4 first launched in 2013, and 3 years after the Pro launched in 2016. I don't think the collective would be as forgiving to Microsoft, if they made their newest console obsolete after only 2 years, especially considering it is the most expensive console this gen. If you're eager to jump into the Xbox ecosystem, I'm guessing you either buy now, or wait 3-4 years.

That said, Microsoft may well decide to release in 2019 alongside Sony. By that time 4K TVs will be more prevalent and there will be higher demand for all that extra horsepower. They can't let Sony run the market for an entire year, not when Sony has built up so much goodwill and has such a clear lead. If that happens, any adopters of the XXX will find themselves well and truly screwed.

Wiskysin
Shadow Boxer
XBL: Wiskysin
PSN: DoctorSyntax

Xbox One X

Jun 13, '17, 1:39pm

retinals wrote:
Wiskysin wrote:I don't know how it's all going to shake out, but this is where Sony will end up getting pulled along for the ride whether they want to go on it or not. I think Sony is going to have a better showing again at E3, however I'm really not sure how their long game is going to pan out when the paradigm shifts, pun intended. I am interested to see what they have up their sleeve for new hardware. They're gonna need an announcement by this time next year or before. They're going to need to compete with a higher end box and this will be more and more true as the calendar years progress.

I am interested if you know anything about how sony might do an incremental update type system. From the little I know about Microsoft it seems like there is some similarity in making games for xbox and PC - turning on different settings between upgraded hardware such as xbox one and xbox X may be easier for them as its normally designed like that in computer games.

I wonder if sony has the same engine capability with their games. I'm predominantly an PC gamer so seeing consoles become more like PCs is awesome to me. It will take some time I bet for console players to adjust to the mentality that PC players usually abide to - That it is ok if your hardware is a little behind the times and that running a game with lower settings then someone else is not the worst thing the world. It is not a competition even tho even PC players are definitely guilty of that lol

I don't anything more than anyone else does! With technology advancing as fast as it is, we're not going to do the 10 year box thing anymore. We know that Microsoft has the upper hand in the hardware and infrastructure departments as a rule. Yes, Sony has released more powerful versions of their boxes versus what Microsoft has offered in the same generation. That does't take away from the reality of the preceding statement. PlayStation is what's sustaining Sony, whereas Xbox is not what's sustaining Microsoft, as we know. Sony will be forced to go along with this or become a niche gaming system. I am not a graphics whore or I'd be on PC (it's cool!) -- but I don't see why I need to trade graphics for gameplay and vice versa. We can have both.

I agree that this idea of the 10 year box is totally over. Sony and Microsoft are both telling the consumer that, which is leaving them confused. The notion that the Xbox One X needs to "last" x years is so funny to me. It's ass backwards thinking. Sony will reveal a "new console" in the next 2 years (probably next year), guaranteed, and I bet Microsoft will, too.

Brotherhood93
Greg's Ego
PSN: M_O_T1919

Jun 13, '17, 3:44pm

Seems not all games are going to be "true 4K". I expected this and there's certainly nothing wrong with it but they're just setting themselves up for people to criticise them when games don't hit 2160p. https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-pa ... cons-xbox/

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Jun 13, '17, 4:01pm

Cool if you want it...but really for another 100 bucks just get a steam box pretty sure all Xbox games are coming to PC now anyway

Chandr0id
Best Friend
XBL: Chandr0id
Steam: Chandr0id

Xbox one X

Jun 13, '17, 8:11pm

I just got an Xbox One S last fall, so I'll just ride out the rest of this generation with it.

TheFabledHunter
Unsung Hero
XBL: TheFabledHero
PSN: TheFabledHunter
Steam: TheFabledHero

Xbox one X

Jun 13, '17, 9:39pm

While this is a very big upgrade in means of hardware for consoles, nobody is going to care about buying the console at the end of the day if you don't have the games to entice gamers to buy it. Sure, it's awesome that the jump in hardware is significant and I think it's necessary to make the console last a good while without going out of date quickly but people ultimately but consoles for the GAMES. I don't mean to say graphics don't matter, it's just that it's not the most important thing when it comes to a game. How pretty a game looks isn't going to matter if the game isn't fun to play. However, I am going to wait and see what happens, as I'm going to be carefully choosing which console I keep beside my future Gaming PC. The gamer in me is very picky and I want to make sure I DON'T regret it.

stratogustav
Baller
Position/Title: Contributor at CGR
XBL: stratogustav
PSN: stratogustav
Steam: stratogustav

Jun 15, '17, 1:27am

I love that it is the smallest ever for them. I don't know how no one is talking about that, but that is huge for Xbox. Xbox consoles have always been these horrendous massive VCRs fused with some kind of cable DVR box. Making the X small can only be a good thing.

They need better exclusives to compete though. I feel the biggest lost they took is losing Bungie making them exclusive games. I don't care for Destiny at all, but I undertand that's like Sony losing Santa Monica or Polyphony. Having Bungie doing multiplatform is definitely not very helpful in their battle.

If Microsoft had more compelling IPs like Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, and The Evil Within on lock down as exclusives, then I would say yeah they can compete, something along those lines, but right now I feel the Switch will definitely sell more than the X just with Mario and Zelda alone, and PlayStation is years ahead in sales.

Personally the only exclusives they have that interest me are Killer Instinct and Forza, those obviously look great, but if they want to win people over they need more than just those. As of right now they can't compete. Only time will tell how far they can really go at this pace.

A7X458
Seducer

Jun 15, '17, 3:19am

https://youtu.be/e8oPvbpVGP0

The Xbox one X uses checkerboard technology to reach 4K, i not surprised that Microsoft lied and I'm sure there will find a way to say that they didn't, all i know i was promised i True 4K console.
PSN: A7X458
Xbox Live:A7X458
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

FallenVega8K
Pure One

Xbox one X

Jun 15, '17, 8:16am

I wish MS came out with the $399.99 Price point and then they did the Power talk and not let the Price show the power difference.
I think the system look's really nice, personally love the form factor but other then that nothing else really make's me wanna upgrade my One S to the One X. And that fact that I would still be paying Close to $700 (Ontario) the Day One in me isn't singing that's for sure.

retinals
Best Friend

Jun 15, '17, 8:53am

someone I think made the point in another thread which I found really interesting.

What if console generations are over for xbox and in 2 years a new version of scorpio comes out. On PC a 7 year old computer can still play games and this xbox x is pretty beefy it should still be able to play any games of a "new console generation" altho at lower settings.

edit: I'm an idiot and don't know how to forum it was this guy who kinda said this

Frostilyte wrote:

Not to disparage your line of thinking or decision: if the same architecture is used in the underlying hardware then the "next generation" should still be able to run the games of the current generation. Think of it like a computer where your library isn't limited by generational gaps, but rather by the hardware you are using to run the games themselves (not exactly one to one, but I think you'll get what I mean). If this does end up being the case you might very well be rewarded for waiting for price reductions or a more power system to come along as you'll be able to play all of the games that have been released for the Xbox (again, this is dependent on MS not completely changing the majority of what happens under the hood).

BuffArms
Baller

Jun 15, '17, 9:22am

JerrodDRagon wrote:Cool if you want it...but really for another 100 bucks just get a steam box pretty sure all Xbox games are coming to PC now anyway

Yeah not in Steam though, but in Microsoft's Windows Store. Not sure if the Steam Box can stream non Steam games. I know the Nvidia Shield can, but then you need to have an Nvidia GPU, and its like $200 so you could just get an XBox One S lol.

retinals wrote:someone I think made the point in another thread which I found really interesting.

What if console generations are over for xbox and in 2 years a new version of scorpio comes out.

I think Microsoft with Play Anywhere has already moved beyond the old console cycle. It's no longer about providing a closed ecosystem around a unique piece of hardware, but rather about creating hardware platforms to play games on, or letting users play those games on your software platform and their own hardware.

For consumers I think this is a better setup. I think we would all be far better off if all the games were cross platform, and what made you buy a console or PC, was the hardware in it, the software experience, and not because of exclusives or closed networking.
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Jun 15, '17, 9:31am

BuffArms wrote:
JerrodDRagon wrote:Cool if you want it...but really for another 100 bucks just get a steam box pretty sure all Xbox games are coming to PC now anyway

Yeah not in Steam though, but in Microsoft's Windows Store. Not sure if the Steam Box can stream non Steam games. I know the Nvidia Shield can, but then you need to have an Nvidia GPU, and its like $200 so you could just get an XBox One S lol.

retinals wrote:someone I think made the point in another thread which I found really interesting.

What if console generations are over for xbox and in 2 years a new version of scorpio comes out.

I think Microsoft with Play Anywhere has already moved beyond the old console cycle. It's no longer about providing a closed ecosystem around a unique piece of hardware, but rather about creating hardware platforms to play games on, or letting users play those games on your software platform and their own hardware.

For consumers I think this is a better setup. I think we would all be far better off if all the games were cross platform, and what made you buy a console or PC, was the hardware in it, the software experience, and not because of exclusives or closed networking.

Well I'll be honest...if they keep up doing what they are doing I see ZERO reasons for me to buy an Xbox every again. If the store has all I need I'll just get a nice PC, sure it will cost more but it will be able to do more like play steam, emulators and so on.

We will see but Xbox one might be my least console from them

Return to “Xbox”