gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Re: Xbox one X

Aug 20, '17, 2:15pm

shanethesaint88 wrote:Pre Ordered the Project Scorpio Edition!

Do you have a 4k TV?

BasicExp
Seducer
XBL: BasicExp

Aug 20, '17, 2:17pm

HYPEHYPEHYPE! Me too!
Regards,

Dustin "Basic"

B.A. Political Studies
Computer Systems Technologist
BasicExp.com

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer
XBL: shanest88
PSN: shanethesaint88

Aug 20, '17, 3:05pm

gwnner wrote:

Do you have a 4k TV?

Sure do

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Aug 20, '17, 3:09pm

shanethesaint88 wrote:Sure do

Nice!

JayT504
Portillo's Mouth Noises
XBL: JayT504
PSN: JayT504

Xbox one X

Aug 21, '17, 10:57am

Preordered mine too. I got my LG OLED for this and my PS4 pro

Wiskysin
Shadow Boxer
XBL: Wiskysin
PSN: DoctorSyntax

Xbox one X

Aug 21, '17, 2:12pm

This will be the 1st Xbox console I will not have pre-ordered. Yes, I realize it's an upgrade. I still have my launch Xbox One and if/when there are actually 1st party games I want to play on this console, I'm gonna hold off, and I have a 4K TV.

I really wish I knew what the deal is. Sony was handing them an opportunity to win back some major market share, and they seem to be blowing it.

BasicExp
Seducer

Xbox one X

Aug 21, '17, 4:18pm

Wiskysin wrote:This will be the 1st Xbox console I will not have pre-ordered. Yes, I realize it's an upgrade. I still have my launch Xbox One and if/when there are actually 1st party games I want to play on this console, I'm gonna hold off, and I have a 4K TV.

I really wish I knew what the deal is. Sony was handing them an opportunity to win back some major market share, and they seem to be blowing it.

It certainly feels like 2018 is the make or break year for Xbox exclusives. Either Microsoft up's their game, or we all start abandoning ship. That being said, if we actually get Player Unknown's Battleground, State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3 in the first half, and something we have not heard of in the second half of the year, that could really make up a lot of ground in first party mind share.
Regards,

Dustin "Basic"

B.A. Political Studies
BasicExp.com

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer
XBL: shanest88
PSN: shanethesaint88

Xbox one X

Aug 21, '17, 4:58pm

BasicExp wrote:
Wiskysin wrote:This will be the 1st Xbox console I will not have pre-ordered. Yes, I realize it's an upgrade. I still have my launch Xbox One and if/when there are actually 1st party games I want to play on this console, I'm gonna hold off, and I have a 4K TV.

It certainly feels like 2018 is the make or break year for Xbox exclusives. Either Microsoft up's their game, or we all start abandoning ship. That being said, if we actually get Player Unknown's Battleground, State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3 in the first half, and something we have not heard of in the second half of the year, that could really make up a lot of ground in first party mind share.

They need Halo 6 next year. I don't think it's gonna be ready for next year and they may even be waiting for the next gen of Xbox to release but IMO that's what they need. Something big like that. Or some huge new IP. But definetly something big

channelocho
Unsung Hero
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Aug 21, '17, 6:46pm

I feel like they need something new. I decided to sell my XB1 and can't see myself getting another one without several new IPs (where as PS4 having several exclusives made me go with that as my console of choice). A new Halo is going to keep people who already have an Xbox happy, but I don't see it selling systems as the people that like Halo already have it for 5. I think to get people interested they need to try there hands at several new 1st party franchises and see if anything will stick.

Wiskysin
Shadow Boxer

Xbox one X

Aug 21, '17, 10:40pm

shanethesaint88 wrote:
BasicExp wrote:

They need Halo 6 next year. I don't think it's gonna be ready for next year and they may even be waiting for the next gen of Xbox to release but IMO that's what they need. Something big like that. Or some huge new IP. But definetly something big

I'm usually here defending Microsoft, because there is a lot of horseshit thrown around about Xbox here. That said, they're totally blowing it on exclusives, which will sell systems. I bought a PS4 for them, so people will buy an Xbox One/X for them, too. There just needs to be more options.

My 360 collection is ridiculously huge, and I've never been a Halo fan, so I'm not one that would use Halo as the ace in the hole. I respect it's people's jam, and a system seller, but it's a franchise dating back to the original Xbox that's, to me, never anything new or exciting. I've tried. I'm not alone, and Xbox is losing those gamers, of which there are many.

They need exclusive IP that's in the AAA space and appeals to different genres. In other words, more than Halo and Forza. I get they have others, however most have been failures, cancelled, or delayed.

I agree, they need something big, times 3 or 4.

KFlo
Unsung Hero
XBL: Brabinski
PSN: Brabinski

Aug 22, '17, 2:13pm

It seems like it's the same thing with Xbox every year. Us Xbox guys are always waiting for that new IP. I'm really starting to think they just don't have any interest in developing new IP's and are content with riding the Halo/Gears/Forza train. I preordered the One X because I've been wanting to make the leap to 4k. I debated hard on trading my One S and PS4 Slim for a PS4 Pro and calling it a day, but I'm just too much of an Xbox guy lol. Stockholm syndrome I suppose.

BasicExp
Seducer

Xbox one X

Aug 22, '17, 7:28pm

Quoted Posts

► Show Spoiler

*Rolls up Sleeves*

Well, today's KindaFunny Games Daily has me feeling a little abrasive, so I am going to contend with all the possible apprehensions and issues people are hold over Xbox and pop the proverbial bubble everyone seems to be living in. I am apologizing upfront if you read this, and it offends your position, but I have been quite cordial about this for a while but I am now irritated beyond the point of being constrained by hard to swallow realities.

#1 Exclusives Do Not Sell Consoles Anymore

PlayStation fans are laying it on thick to Xbox fans with this inglorious pretention that can be spread on toast it is so viscous. The idea that the Xbox One has no exclusives and therefore is not worth getting is an impressive exercise in hypocrisy.

Lets step back in to our time machines for a minute a remember the epic year of 2014 filled with countless PlayStation exclusives that lead it to being the best-selling console of this generation. If you are having trouble of thinking of a solid AAA title from that year, its because PlayStation 4 had a totally vapid launch line up. For over a year there was nothing exclusive on PlayStation that anyone cared about enough to champion.
Regardless, it out sold Xbox One, two to one all the way until late 2016 when finally, Xbox started to win some ground back, barely. That is in spite of getting Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2. Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Project Spark and Zoo Tycoon before the end of 2014.

So why the hell did anyone buy a PS4? Maybe it was the fact that it was cheaper and the more powerful console. Walk in to the store, see that the games support pretty much the same list of games and the ones you care most about, those fancy new Games as a Service, well you can play them for $100 less. Fairly easy choice for the average consumer. Most people will never have even heard of the E3 debacle of 2013, it’s just a straight forward economic choice for the average platform agnostic gamer.

#2 Games as a Service (GaaS) Culture Matters More Than Anything

Everyone seemed to be quite surprised that Ghost Recon: Wild Lands is as popular as it is. This is a perfect example of deaf ears and blind eyes on what it is that people actually do on their consoles in the current gaming paradigm. Exclusives are not the reason you buy a console anymore, they are what you play when you want a break, or something fresh in-between more of "insert GaaS here". This is further perpetuated by the Twitch/Mixer streaming paradigm. People tend to stream a specific game, and only stray off that path for short stints because being a variety streamer opens the door to a massively inconsistent audience. Why? Because GaaS have large audiences who like coming to watch and play games with people in that community and the rest of games come seconds to them.

Now, a lot of you are sitting there thinking, that is not how I play games and of course, it isn't. The hardcore gamer like to dabble and collect by nature but you are sit on the extreme edge, with the average person who has far less bandwidth and interest sitting way closer to what I am talking about. Normal people, who do not eat, sleep and breathe games buy a few games a year, and put a lot of time in to usually just a few in particular, especially if it something that is a shared activity with friends.

So when one of these companies grabs on to a franchise like say Player Unknown Battlegrounds, and makes their console the place to play it first and quite possibly only there, this matters more than any exclusive that first party could ever pump out in terms of giving you a reason to buy the box.

#3 Defending True Exclusivity is Pointless

I do not understand the notion of, what I grasp to be anti-“Play Anywhere”. Xbox is starting to encroach on Steam’s turf by allowing people to use the Xbox platform on PC, and play games across the Xbox family. This, in the eyes of many is bad. I am not sure why, but it seems to be consistently reiterated. The fact that you can play Gears of War 4, Quantum Break, Halo Wars 2, Recore, etc on whatever you want with your saves following you around sounds fairly consumer friendly to me. It does not hurt Xbox at all, unless you think they should be aiming to get people to buy games in a specific place, despite that it makes no difference to them if you play it one vs the other.

Microsoft makes their money of the Windows license on a PC in the same way it makes money off of the Xbox console (with worse margins on hardware). When people say they are not going to buy an Xbox because they can play those games on PC I say, “awesome, welcome to the Xbox family!” because that is what you are a part of now if you are playing your games through the Windows Store.

Conclusion (TL:DR)

In a time where consoles are having trouble distinguishing themselves from one another, with the vast majority of AAA games playable on everything we fight like petulant children about the exclusives Sony and Microsoft have, as if it were some sort of weird last bastion of separation. People are not buying consoles anymore because of exclusives, not because they are not good games but because the majority of good games are on both. It is why we still stand to be worried about third party support on the Switch, and why the Wii-U failed.

Of course I want more games, and new first party IP is always exciting but when someone tries to levy the PS4 library against me, I just shrug and say I never would have bought Nier Automata, Nioh, Bloodbourne, Persona 5 or Uncharted 4. Where as I did play Gears of War 4, Halo 5, Quantum Break, Recore, Forza 6, Pit People, Fable Fortune, Path of Exile and will play, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, 3 and Cuphead. Of course, I would have loved Horizon Zero Dawn, but I settled for watching an awesome lets play, as I did with Zelda: Breathe of the Wild as well.

Xbox had a bad year for exclusives and I am the first person to admit I wish 2017 had more to cheer about as an Xbox fan, but pretending I do not have enough to play with Destiny 2, Shadow of War, Path of Exile, Assasin's Creed Origins and my backlog this fall, would be disingenuous.
Regards,

Dustin "Basic"

B.A. Political Studies
BasicExp.com

Wiskysin
Shadow Boxer

Xbox one X

Aug 23, '17, 3:15pm

Consoles live and die on exclusives. Yes, any console or gaming device needs 3rd Party Support, it's what keeps you busy between exclusives. Nintendo needs it...my Switch sits a lot because it lacks a lot of what I want on the go right now.

Microsoft has an IP problem, big time. It's why I'm not buying a Xbox One X at this time.

I've spent an inordinate amount of time here defending Microsoft when it's deserved. This is not that time.

I'm a gamer, not a brand ambassador. Until Sony or Microsoft starts cutting me a paycheck, that's how it's gonna be.

Not much more to say, they're flubbing this.

Wiskysin
Shadow Boxer

Xbox one X

Aug 24, '17, 7:15pm

Here, to show this isn't sour grapes, I'll put my money up. If Microsoft drops some major news between now and release, I'll keep it. I need convincing.

BasicExp
Seducer

Xbox one X

Aug 24, '17, 10:25pm

Large Image Contained Inside

► Show Spoiler

I am note sure anything between now and November is really going to change your mind about this machine. It is very plainly, what it is; an impressively powerful gaming box. Games will look and run best, ceteris paribus. It seems highly unlikely you're going to get any news in the exclusive front until Microsoft has at least somewhat cleared out the pipe line in early 2018 (Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Player Unknown Battlegrounds, Ori and the Will of the Wisps).

If you do not think you will be happy with what you know you're going to get out of it, do not waste your money on the hope it will be something you know it is not. If suddenly you are getting what you want out of Microsoft, buy it then.
Regards,

Dustin "Basic"

B.A. Political Studies
BasicExp.com

KFlo
Unsung Hero
XBL: Brabinski
PSN: Brabinski

Xbox one X

Aug 24, '17, 10:25pm

Wiskysin wrote:Here, to show this isn't sour grapes, I'll put my money up. If Microsoft drops some major news between now and release, I'll keep it. I need convincing.

I'm holding out until e3. Hopefully they'll surprise me and since it's around my bday I'll treat myself to the One X SeemsGood

Wiskysin
Shadow Boxer

Xbox one X

Aug 25, '17, 7:43am

BasicExp wrote:Large Image Contained Inside

► Show Spoiler

I am note sure anything between now and November is really going to change your mind about this machine. It is very plainly, what it is; an impressively powerful gaming box. Games will look and run best, ceteris paribus. It seems highly unlikely you're going to get any news in the exclusive front until Microsoft has at least somewhat cleared out the pipe line in early 2018 (Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Player Unknown Battlegrounds, Ori and the Will of the Wisps).

If you do not think you will be happy with what you know you're going to get out of it, do not waste your money on the hope it will be something you know it is not. If suddenly you are getting what you want out of Microsoft, buy it then.

They probably won't, but that should be in the back of everyone's mind, whether you're married to the Microsoft ecosystem or not. It's not as though I'm not highly invested in it, much more than PlayStation:

If I'm skeptical, and not just shitting on them for the sake of shitting on them, what's your non-Xbox gamer going to think? What's bringing them in? I didn't play on PS3 during the Xbox 360 generation at all, and it had nothing to do with Sony. Outside of a handful of exclusives, I always had plenty to do playing third party games, that were much more stable on Xbox 360, and the case of multiplayer, had a much more vibrant community.

The reason I bought the PS4 this generation was because of some exclusives I wanted to play and to catch up on some I had missed out on (Uncharted, for example). I also chose to make it the place I played most of my third party games this generation just to be fair to myself about the investment as I had been in Xbox and to chip away at an ingrained bias. I can't make the assumption you don't have a PS4, but if you don't, it kind of explains where you're not lacking for things to do, just as the opposite would be true.

My conclusion has been that PlayStation, while it really stumbled out of the gate with the first party games of note, really for the first two years, has been doing very well in that area since. Microsoft stumbled out of the gate and really hasn't done a whole lot that also panned out. They cancelled Fable, a series I enjoyed. They made other grandiose promises that just fizzled.

It just boggles my mind that what they have for the end of 2017, when the XB1X releases, is free upgrades of old games, for the most part, wich is just pretty lackluster.

This is an impressive upgrade. This is awesome for the fact it has a 4K Blu-Ray Player. This is awesome for playing older games in 4K. This could be awesome for new IP and AAA exclusives. The question is, where are they?

It's not ceding ground to anyone by asking the question. Being so invested in the Microsoft ecosystem we're the most impacted by the answer. I think we should be demanding more.

If's funny this article came out 2 hours ago, but it's basically what I've been saying:

That puts Microsoft in an even tighter spot. With a 4K console that’s coming to market one year later than its competition, for a higher price point, and with very few compelling exclusive games on the horizon, it’s tough to see how the Xbox One X will appeal to anyone but the hardest of the hardcore.

It’s fine to put out a niche product, of course. Microsoft doesn’t have much to lose here. But with its fantastic industrial design and capable hardware, it’s frustrating that the Xbox One X isn't targeting a wider range of people.

Frustrating.

BasicExp
Seducer

Xbox one X

Aug 25, '17, 3:47pm

Wiskysin wrote:
This is an impressive upgrade. This is awesome for the fact it has a 4K Blu-Ray Player. This is awesome for playing older games in 4K. This could be awesome for new IP and AAA exclusives. The question is, where are they?

Oddly I wrote in to KFGD a few days ago in response to a question about just this. It did not get read, but something very similar did. It also happens to highlight why a lot of people still feel confident buying an Xbox One X even with the first-party library carrying the current perception it does. In two words, Phil Spencer.

Hey KindaFunny Team,

Honestly, 2017 has been an odd year to be an Xbox fan and IGN’s Ryan McCaffery made some great suggestions in the editorial you highlighted yesterday. The only thing that keeps me optimistic for the Xbox in the first party department is Phil Spencer, full stop.
Phil walked into the burning building that was the Xbox brand in 2014, he extinguished the flames by putting games first. He then demolished everything too scorched to repair with cancelling Scalebound and Fable Legends. He kept what seemed worth continuing in Crackdown and Sea of Thieves but now it’s his time to shine.

In 2018, now that the fires are out and the building is empty, hopefully we get to see what games Phil Spencer believes is worth filling it with. He has done so much good for Xbox, I cannot help but remain optimistic.

Regards,

BasicExp

Spencer has now been in for a little over three years, we know the dev cycle of games these days and that means the projects he green lit or sought out to make happen are just beyond the horizon. This coming year (2018) will be the make or break for Phil.
Regards,

Dustin "Basic"

B.A. Political Studies
BasicExp.com

BuffArms
Baller

Aug 25, '17, 4:12pm

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/08/ ... rformance/

The mega-retailer, which has nearly 4,000 stores in the US and 2,000 more internationally, didn't share specific breakouts for the Xbox One or other consoles, but it did say that new and preowned software sales had declined 3.4 and 7.5 percent, respectively. Microsoft's "lagging" performance was the only reason for that drop that the retailer shared publicly; GameStop cited the slow sales a number of times in an earnings call yesterday. "In both new and preowned, we're seeing underperformance in Xbox One versus PS4, which we believe is due to the coming Xbox One X launch," GameStop CFO Robert Lloyd said in that call.

I'm sharing this because I think it is a sign that the XBox One X will be a bigger seller than people are giving it credit for. GameStop believes their decline in revenue is because XBox people are not buying Games until they get the XBox One X. That a large number of customers are so excited for this new console they arent buying games they could play now, to play it on that new console.

People are so focusing on 1st party titles, but I think we overlook a major reason the PS4 was so successful, and a major reason I think the One X might be a success too, POWER. Every 3rd party game on PS4 was rendered in higher resolution than XBox One, or at least it seemed that way at the beginning. 1080 vs 900, 900 vs 720... XBox always the weakling, always making the 'with upscaling you cant tell argument'. Now that will be reversed, PS4 Pro is the weakling, PS4 Pro is the 'with stereoscopic upscaling 1440 is very similar to 4k' excuse maker.

XBox One X will be the best console gaming experience for the vast majority of games people care about. I tend to think that is going to move units.
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

NightMist
Portillo's Mouth Noises
Position/Title: No
PSN: NightMist-
NNID: NightMist-25

Xbox one X

Aug 26, '17, 5:41am

I think you're pretty spot on about the whole PC and Xbox migration. The Xbox sales were barely over gamecube, but extremely behind PS2. 360 sales were less than wii and eventually got passed by the ps3. Xbox one sales were better than wiiu but half as much as ps4.

Ihe whole reason they got into consoles was to compete with Sony, but they seem to be behind in the end. So it makes since that they are leaning heavily into Windows 10 as being the Microsoft gaming platform and retooling xbox to be an equivalent to it, by making tons of boxes but only conserning themselves with selling Microsoft services (xbox live/windows 10)

Return to “Xbox”