SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Re: Xbox one X

Aug 26, '17, 7:33am

BuffArms wrote:People are so focusing on 1st party titles, but I think we overlook a major reason the PS4 was so successful, and a major reason I think the One X might be a success too, POWER. Every 3rd party game on PS4 was rendered in higher resolution than XBox One, or at least it seemed that way at the beginning. 1080 vs 900, 900 vs 720... XBox always the weakling, always making the 'with upscaling you cant tell argument'. Now that will be reversed, PS4 Pro is the weakling, PS4 Pro is the 'with stereoscopic upscaling 1440 is very similar to 4k' excuse maker.

XBox One X will be the best console gaming experience for the vast majority of games people care about. I tend to think that is going to move units.

I was one of those guys that thought it would do fine, but nothing special because at the time it seemed they were doing what Sony was doing: doing some upgraded current titles, a showcase with some games to show the powa, and so on. But the major difference that is intriguing me quite a bit is how all in Microsoft is going with the X. Unlike Pro, which got some upgraded titles, the X has a laundry list of tons of upgraded for X titles that continues to grow. Yes, I am the guy that still stands by Playstation and loves their exclusives, but for 3rd party games this will be the go to for console players to be honest. And combine that with a pretty solid lineup for launch, with Destiny 2 having it's X patch, Shadow of War, Forza, State of Decay 2 (super excited for that one), and PUBG, it's be killer for the winter/early spring at least, if not longer. I hope the X gives Playstation a wake-up from the steering wheel, because while I doubt the X will make up the ground lost, it will give Xbox a huge boost for the remainder of this "generation" (of section of generation, not even sure if the X shouldn't be the start of a new gen due to the improvements...meh.) Z

JRV
Baller

Aug 26, '17, 9:06am

BuffArms wrote:
► Show Spoiler

I have to respectfully partly disagree with you, first I agree with the statement by Gamestop, that the xbox one is underselling right now cause of the core of their fanbase wanting to get a upgrade waiting for it. That said, I don't think that will mean that Xbox is near the second best selling console of the year. I just think it means it won't be the forth best selling piece of hardware made this year. If you remember back to the Xbox One S, sells tanked before it was released too. I think that article is stating the obvious in saying this is happening again before the launch of the XBX.

Take, July for example, NPD had XBO far behind the switch, ps4, and even behind the 3ds. From what read from like vgchartz and such, XBO is being outsold over 3 to 1 by the PS4 and 2 to 1 by the Switch and is near parity with the dying 3ds. Things could get worse as far as sells for the system in September and October in the led up to the launch. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the XBO is the 5th best selling piece of gaming hardware in both months. Now, when holidays come, it could seriously win which would be great for the xbox brand and I can totally see that happening. I don't think it will be enough to close the gab with either the PS4 which I have read is like between 6.5-7 million for the year and the switch which is at 5 million, where as currently the XBO is around 2 million.

Now for why people buy systems, I don't think it has that much to do with power, just being the most powerful wont' do anything. I think it doesn't hurt and Microsoft is using their PR with it rather impressively. I think it is public relations, marketing, good will, along with games, uniqueness, price and power that win customers. There is also momentum of sells to think about.

Look at the start of last generation, I was a PS2 owner, and the idea of me not getting a PS3 were crazy. Then they revealed the 360 and PS3, and honestly the price of it killed it for me, I was poor and just out of college, I couldn't afford such a expensive machine. Plus I had the good old ps2, so I didn't buy one. The thought of the price stuck, the fact it was so high meant that those who I knew and played games around also got 360's instead of ps3s. I got a 360 as I could afford it. It locked me into that ecosystem for a generation. As I didn't want to lose the digital games I had. Also I could buy the cheaper 360 when mine broke and transfer the memory to it. It had nothing to do with which one was more powerful, it had to do with the horrible start that the PS3 had, the horrible marketing to get another job to get it, the good marketing and goodwill of the 360 for its handling of many things. I think that the promise of games helped my choice, such as blue dragon, which made me think it wouldn't matter.

When it came to this generation the choice was so super easy for myself. The last generation of games almost killed game for me completely. So when it came to this generation, I didn't care about which was more powerful. The limitations of the XBO in regards of always online, the price of the system all made moving back into the PlayStation ecosystem so easy. It was cheaper, the good will for it was real, the public relations job by sony was amazing, the price was good and it won consumers. I think those early errors of Microsoft hurt them a great deal as it left a bad impression in the minds of many just like what happened with ps3.

Now, why did the PS3 catch the 360 last gen in sells after having such a large disadvantage at the start. I don't think it was a increase in power of any version of the PS3. I don't think the power increase will bring people who switched consoles back in droves either. They have a problem with games that is different from a first party problem though too. Xbox one is great for fans of western games, it has them, and for those who love those it is great I am sure. Nintendo is great for eastern games, your Zelda's, Mario's, Fire Emblems, Metroids, SMTs till recently Monster Hunters, most of their third party support is from Japanese companies. Sony on the other hand has both the Western games and the Eastern games. XBX wont' suddenly get DQ11, SMT5, Monster Hunter, Persona, Nioh, Nier. It is trying to win a console war with only western games.

This article puts it pretty well, to be a global console and sell to a global market you have to have a mix of both. I am sure people who dislike eastern games or only need western games will be happy, but you are already starting off a console turning away anyone who does want to play such games. It was is why the 360 personally was a great error, and one of Nintendo's greatest flaws as well. As well as Sony's trump card.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarde ... 5a3ea57701

BasicExp
Seducer
XBL: BasicExp

Aug 26, '17, 7:37pm

► Show Spoiler

The majority of the points you are making are opinion, and I believe are based on sound logic, even if I do disagree with some of it; it is all debatable. That last point though seemed a little interesting to me, First, not to throw a wrench in to things but Monster Hunter World will be on Xbox One, so that one is off the list from the get go but the idea of Japanese style games is certainly important.

Phil Spencer, shortly before E3 spent decent chunk of time in Japan, and was rather vocal about doing so. We won't likely see Nioh come to the Xbox, but they do own the rights to Ninja Gaiden, something worth keeping in mind. There obviously isn't a game announced there, but there is potential if Xbox gamers are asking for it. We will not be getting Neir, but we are getting Code Vein which you may remember from E3 as being anime meets Dark Souls. There are even some incredibly special turn based RPG's Like Massive Chalice, Earthlock and Banner Saga which reek of those traditional Japanese roots. I mean we're even getting Ooblets, much in the vein of Harvestmoon, Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley, the quintessential RPG grind-fest for the sake of a grind-fest.

I do not disagree with the notion that the Eastern audience is not important, and Xbox actually has a share of games released exclusively in the east but there are certainly some prospects to cover bases in there. I may add that I do not think Xbox will ever have a Persona equivalent, I concede that entirely. I think that game is the perfect example of a separation of audiences, much in the way that PlayStation will never have a staple like Master Chief.

Also, I would just like to say that I love this thread and think the stuff discussed here has been great.
Regards,

Dustin "Basic"

B.A. Political Studies
Computer Systems Technologist
BasicExp.com

KFlo
Unsung Hero
XBL: Brabinski
PSN: Brabinski

Aug 28, '17, 11:52am

Anyone check out the Gamescast episode with Ryan McCaffrey?

Wiskysin
Shadow Boxer
XBL: Wiskysin
PSN: DoctorSyntax

Xbox one X

Aug 28, '17, 12:06pm

Yes, I'm about 30 mins of the way through it. Hoping to finish it up this afternoon. They're not talking about anything yet, but I know they'll get to it!

BasicExp
Seducer

Aug 28, '17, 2:33pm

Ryan tows a reasonable line, and although I do not agree with him on everything, he brings the best perspective we have from the games journalism side of things. I have to respect his experience and insight, he's been doing it for a long time; fifteen years I believe.

P.S. I really wish KindaFunny would just hurry up and steal him.
Regards,

Dustin "Basic"

B.A. Political Studies
BasicExp.com

KFlo
Unsung Hero

Aug 28, '17, 6:20pm

I listened to it today at work. Really enjoyed his insight on stuff. And it was nice to have someone Xbox centric to discuss the recent Xbox news. Wish they'd hire him or at least have him on more often.

SteveFontana
Pure One

The Xbox One and Who is it For; Answered!

Sep 24, '17, 8:50pm

BasicExp wrote:With notable names like Ryan McCaffery, Jason Schreier and KindaFunny's very own Greg Miller all posing the question "Who is this console for?", I decided I should do my best to answer the question.

There are a few points that continue to get made and I am going to break them down, demonstrating how self fulfilling of their own answer these conjectures really are. I will do my best to avoid anecdotes and self-serving bias but I will remind you that I am human, mostly.

True 4K

The most common comment about this systems seems to be the low market saturation of 4K TVs and that there is almost no one who can take advantage of this capability. Putting aside the fact that the market for 1080p TVs was in a similar state when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were released aside, this is an odd argument to make to me. The variety of devices delivering 4K to a TV to begin with, is a short list, and further more, not a list of inexpensive machines. Feel free to give a quick Google search for UHD Blu-Ray players, and you will see what I mean. You may be reminded of a similar situation where people began to buy PS3's because they were the most affordable Blu-Ray player on the market. There is a heaping pile of irony there I hope you appreciate as much as I do. So when you ask the question, who is this console for in terms of people who already own, or plan to own a 4K TV, the answer is all of them. The XOX is a 4K video game machine, Netflix machine, UHD-Blu-Ray machine and every other video service you can think of.

TL;DR The XOX is a simple answer to the somewhat obscure question, how do I actually get 4K content on to my 4K TV?

No Exclusivity / Expensive

Again, another very common conjecture is that their is nothing the XOX will play that the original XO/XOS/PC will not. This certainly will dissuade some people from the upgrade, but not in that "I do not want it" way, so much as a "It is not necessary" way. In the case of the owner of a high end PC, there is actually no real reason to buy a XOX, and I do not think that is a bad thing. Xbox has made it clear, that a Windows 10 gamer, is an Xbox Gamer (outside the reason listed above, if PC to TV proximity is a problem).

That being, said there is something to be said for wanting the best of what is available and the predilection to "future proof". Maybe you do not have a 4K TV now, but the next one will be for sure and that itch, that undeniable itch that gets to the heart of gamers, knowing there is a box that you can have that will just make everything a little bit shinier. This exact notion has fueled the "console wars" themselves, with people being quick to bring up performance, and no matter what we saying, it gets under the skin a little bit when you are not playing on the better box. This that same annoying feeling we all get when we go to buy a new phone, and the old model is cheaper than the new model... but it's not the new model.

It is worth mentioning at least in passing, that the XOX is the same price the XO was on release, which affectively makes it cheaper and I wont belabor the specs, but they are better, much better. PC gamers can testify to just how expensive getting a 4K PC can really be, and a $499 USD price tag is not too bad when you start parting out that build.

TL;DR So despite that you can play everything on the XO/XOS, there will those people who cannot resists the prospect of the better box, the future proofing and the ability to sell their Xbox One S, to take a chunk out of the cost of the Xbox One X. If people can find an excuse or means to get the better box, they will.

Early Adopters / Hardcore Fans

These people are your best friends. Not literally of course, we can be a bit a abrasive in reality, but we are the people who spend way too much money on these technologies so that the price to produce them gets shoved down, and you can then buy it at a reasonable price. There is this threshold of gamers, that although may live somewhere between being content on either the PC or console platforms, we stick to one or the other for varying reasons; maybe both. All the same, we get excited when that shinny new thing comes out, and we buy it not because we need it, but simply because we want it, and we can. There is nothing complicated about this, it is just some people's passion to be on the edge of tech, and a lot of us happen to be passionate gamers as well.

TL;DR Some of us just love gaming too much; we are to invested and will readily buy the better box because it's fun and we just can't help our selves.

In the very least, I hope this gives you some insight in to the mind of someone who fully intends to buy an Xbox One X, as soon as preorders will allow.

I almost feel like it is for the people who can't afford a fully capable PC to game on, but still wants a close to true PC experience. This is where I fall on this whole thing. I can drop $500 and NOMINALLY upgrade my PC and still be 5 years behind...OR I can spend $500 on the One X and buy PC games that come to it and play there. PubG comes to mind right off the bat. If PubG succeeds on the platform I can see previously PC only games migrating over as well.

Just my two cents.

BasicExp
Seducer

The Xbox One and Who is it For; Answered!

Sep 26, '17, 9:25pm

SteveFontana wrote:I almost feel like it is for the people who can't afford a fully capable PC to game on, but still wants a close to true PC experience. This is where I fall on this whole thing. I can drop $500 and NOMINALLY upgrade my PC and still be 5 years behind...OR I can spend $500 on the One X and buy PC games that come to it and play there. PubG comes to mind right off the bat. If PubG succeeds on the platform I can see previously PC only games migrating over as well.

Just my two cents.

You are the exact person the console is for!
Regards,

Dustin "Basic"

B.A. Political Studies
BasicExp.com

Myles
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Xbox one X

Oct 03, '17, 8:14pm

Xbox one x!!! i hope it sells well.

KFlo
Unsung Hero

Oct 04, '17, 1:52pm

Well looks like I'm getting the One X after all, won it using the daily Taco Bell code. X gon' give it to me!

channelocho
Unsung Hero
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Oct 04, '17, 4:42pm

KFlo wrote:Well looks like I'm getting the One X after all, won it using the daily Taco Bell code. X gon' give it to me!

The diarrhea is now worth it lol. Congrats on the win.

KFlo
Unsung Hero

Oct 04, '17, 4:57pm

channelocho wrote:
KFlo wrote:Well looks like I'm getting the One X after all, won it using the daily Taco Bell code. X gon' give it to me!

The diarrhea is now worth it lol. Congrats on the win.

I was just using the online text code. Didn’t have to eat a bite. Saved my bowels lol

BasicExp
Seducer

Oct 05, '17, 9:28pm

KFlo wrote:

I was just using the online text code. Didn’t have to eat a bite. Saved my bowels lol

Congrats man, that is awesome!
Regards,

Dustin "Basic"

B.A. Political Studies
BasicExp.com

ROFL
Producer

Xbox one X

Oct 27, '17, 3:00pm

Wiskysin wrote:...Microsoft stumbled out of the gate and really hasn't done a whole lot that also panned out...

This is just false rhetoric.

Ryse, State of Decay, Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive, Ori, ReCore, Quantum Break.
All totally New IP and Exclusive to Xbox. Microsoft has Sony totally beat in both New and Exclusive IP (RotTR being another big Exclusive).
Not to mention the outstanding success of the Backward Compatibility program.
From 2013-2016 the ONLY outstanding success that Sony had was Uncharted 4, a game with “4” in the title.
People Do Not Care About Exclusives, not the mainstream audience and not on these devices. Nintendo needs exclusives to carry them but not Sony or Microsoft, from the launch of the PS1 Sony’s success has been all about Third Party support (and Format Wars with, CD, DVD, and Bluray).
Reality is even Xbox owners shunned Microsoft’s exclusives, I bought an Xbox in 2015 just for Halo:MCC, Forza 6, and Backwards Compatibility... So Forza 6 was the only “Xbox One” game that I owned for over a year. I promised myself not to buy anything else because I wasn’t convinced Microsoft was doing what was right for gamers (well and the Xbox One just kind of sucks if you like good looking games).

Quite frankly the combination of the lack of power and the anti-consumer reputation was absolutely and utterly impossible to overcome, any strategy Microsoft could have possibly come up with would have failed. The lack of power is real but the negative media bias (“has no games” etc.) agianst Xbox is simply imagined because of a lack of trust.
(Ok and targeting a new gaming console as a TV hub when TV is a dying medium was just a matter of bad research.)

Say what you like, it has nothing to do with games and it has everything to do with Don Mattrick insulting core consumers at the 2013 launch event (which almost immediately got him fired), and the common person feeling like Microsoft is too connected with “the establishment” (Kinect was seen as an invasion of privacy by many, and just this month Microsft implemented pairing controllers with Live accounts, undoubtedly a feature designed to offset the loss of Kinect’s visual automatic sign in).

Xbox X is the reversal of everything Xbox One was, it will do well, very well.
I predict Xbox X lifetime sales will outsell Xbox One by the early 2020’s. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Microsoft discontinues the Xbox One S around 2020. Xbox One is too horribly gimped and Xbox X offers too much value for money, especially with the future HDMI 2.1 support, Xbox X will still support most of the the latest features on TV’s four years from now and once the price drops to $299 people are probably going to keep buying it even in the face of newer hardware.

Wiskysin
Shadow Boxer
XBL: Wiskysin
PSN: DoctorSyntax

Xbox one X

Oct 29, '17, 3:48pm

That's merely your opinion. I don't think your points are wrong, at all. You don't get to call to my opinion false, though. I spent all of last generation on Xbox. That matters because the comment isnt coming from someone that doesn't even have an XBL Gamertag. My Day One Xbox One is on every single day as my TV portal and YouTube box. If there were any 1st party games I wanted to play, I wouldn't be turning on my PS4 to play everything. Sure, if it's all you have, you have plenty to do (multi-plats).

You're a fan, and that's okay. kfwink I'm not a brand ambassador. I hope they figure it out. They can, so let's see it, instead of all the theories.

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer
XBL: shanest88
PSN: shanethesaint88

Nov 01, '17, 8:21pm

Just got my email from Amazon saying that my Scorpio Edition Xbox One X will be delivered next Tuesday! Starting to get excited! Ready for it to get here so I can start playing assassins creed again lol

KFlo
Unsung Hero

Nov 02, '17, 12:25pm

I picked up Assassins Creed, Wolfenstein and Shadow of War from Target's buy 2 get 1 sale. My Taco Bell One X came today. Excited to get home and start playing.

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer
XBL: shanest88
PSN: shanethesaint88

Nov 02, '17, 2:13pm

Thinking about getting some Dolby Atmos headphones to use with my X. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not to familiar with it. Is it really that much better?

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Xbox one X

Nov 06, '17, 4:53am

If I were to buy an Xbox One X now, I would have to admit that I didn't learn anything from upgrading my Xbox One to Xbox One Elite (waste of money for a useless hybrid drive) nor from upgrading my PS4 to PS4 Pro. The problem here is that yes, you can get some tuning done at the OS level, but he majority of content is still tuned exclusively to the baseline market, which is the original Xbox One. Microsoft can't escape their Xbox One mistake with supplemental consoles. They have to start over again, to declare a new generation roadmap. But unfortunately Xbox One X isn't the next generation. It's another footnote in a confused and fragmented market, with the majority of players still on lesser equipment. Games are on sale all the time and the Xbox Live Gold programme cannibalizes the indies games, giving them away for free, so there is an unhealthy market that lacks confidence and respect for gaming in general. There is a nervous energy that leads to all this dithering... The constant moving of he proverbial cheese.

If this is your first Xbox One and you can afford it, then yeah, go for it. But don't do it thinking that your purchase is going to "fix" this generation.
Just say no to loot crates

Return to “Xbox”