BuffArms
Baller

Mouse and Keyboard Support is Coming to XBox

Sep 03, '17, 6:00pm

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox- ... 0-6453087/

Speaking at a PAX West panel this weekend, Ybarra said keyboard and mouse support is "definitely coming," adding that he's aware of the concerns people have about keyboard and mouse users having the upper hand against people using a controller.

- Mouse and Keyboard support coming
- Will be up to developers how its implemented
- Microsoft sees MP having separate queues for M/K vs Controller.

After playing some CoD WW2 beta this weekend and having to use a controller it really reminded how terrible controllers are and how nice it would be for gaming to include Keyboard and Mouse control support on $300 consoles. Even poor people deserve precision aiming! This would also open up whole genres of PC games to move to the living room.

Total War Medieval 3, Starcraft 3, Civilization 7... all possible XBox console exclusives with mouse and keyboard support.
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

BasicExp
Seducer
XBL: BasicExp

Re: Mouse and Keyboard Support is Coming to XBox

Sep 04, '17, 4:45pm

Interesting that you list future games as being console exclusives, especially SC3, which if SC2 is a barometer, is not coming until 2025. Civ 6 and StarCraft 2 would both be awesome to have come to the Xbox themselves.

To be honest though, games like Halo Wars 2, City Skylines, Prison Architect will be that much better with M/K. Also, the timing of Path of Exile being released makes me thing it may also see that feature added as well, not that it needs it, fantastically adapted to controller.

I am glad they are giving the option though, because I have always and will probably continue to prefer to play FPS and third person Action-Adventure on controller.
Regards,

Dustin "Basic"

B.A. Political Studies
Computer Systems Technologist
BasicExp.com

BuffArms
Baller

Sep 04, '17, 7:50pm

I see no sign of Sony following suit with Mouse and Keyboard support, so I was just thinking of big PC games that could come to XBox because of mouse and keyboard support, and not PS.

MannySJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Sep 06, '17, 1:11pm

I mentioned some of my concerns in another topic, but I hope they plan for people who don't have a K/M setup. Imagine trying to play a FPS with a controller against people using K/M. Hopefully there's a way to flag people's control setup and use matchmaking to keep those people grouped together.

Tomitoch
Portillo's Mouth Noises
Position/Title: Sales Assistant Game Retail UK
XBL: Tomitoch
PSN: Tomitoch
NNID: Tomitoch

Sep 10, '17, 10:54am

Maybe have games either set up two different types of servers for gamers with and without mice, but that would just split the player base. And what if too few people use mice/keyboard set ups? They can't play with others?

Maybe you gain less XP or fewer rewards when with a Mouse and Keyboard?

BuffArms
Baller

Sep 10, '17, 11:25am

Tomitoch wrote:Maybe have games either set up two different types of servers for gamers with and without mice, but that would just split the player base. And what if too few people use mice/keyboard set ups? They can't play with others?

Maybe you gain less XP or fewer rewards when with a Mouse and Keyboard?

PC crossplay is the likely answer. If you have mouse keyboard, why not? Of course it will be a worse experience then a high end PC, but so is playing on a low end PC.

This could also open up PC Controller users to have an equal playing field by playing with console players.

Return to “Xbox”