Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums
Steam: Frostilyte

Cuphead | The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread

Sep 18, '15, 6:03pm

Platforms: XBox One | Windows

Release Date: September 27th, 2017

Cuphead is a classic run and gun action game heavily focused on boss battles. Inspired by cartoons of the 1930's, the visuals and audio are painstakingly created with the same techniques of the era, i.e. traditional cel animation (hand drawn & hand inked!), watercolor backgrounds, and original jazz recordings. Play as Cuphead or Mugman (in single player or co-op) as you traverse strange worlds, acquire new weapons, learn powerful super moves, and discover hidden secrets. Cuphead is all action, all the time. Do you have what it takes?

--- Videos ---

https://youtu.be/UJszILRT_D4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhPQr22cj44

https://youtu.be/xy0bpSyeCuQ
Last edited by Frostilyte on Oct 12, '16, 6:07am, edited 2 times in total.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums

Re: Cuphead |GT| Rumored at E3

Jun 10, '16, 5:27am

So a trailer with some of the non-boss gameplay was revealed! (see third VOD in OP)

Kinda disappointed the game isn't 100% boss battles as I've grown quite found of games that are designed that way.
What are your thoughts? Anyone excited for CupHead?
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Ali Polo
Seducer
XBL: AliPolo92
PSN: ali-polo

Jun 10, '16, 12:49pm

I'm really excited for this. I always thought it had platforming amd not just boss battles. The video they showed for that needed more vareity in the level design IMO.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Cuphead |GT| Rumored at E3

Oct 11, '16, 10:11pm

I guess I'm necro-bumping this thread, but it looks like Cuphead is being delayed once again. It's now slated for 2017.
Hey everyone, we wanted to finish our game 80 years after 1936 but it will now be 81.

Throughout this year we discussed reducing the scope to make a 2016 release, but we made the difficult decision to delay the launch in order to ship with our vision intact. We are happy to announce that Cuphead will be coming to Xbox One, Windows 10 and Steam in Mid-2017.

We are constantly humbled by your continued support. Love you all and can’t wait to get this to you. Without further ado, we will get back to work!

via Studio MDHR's Blog

As with all delays, usually they're for the best. But considering this game was originally planned for a 2015 release, I can only imagine that development is starting to become pretty expensive. Hopefully it works out for them.

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer
XBL: shanest88
PSN: shanethesaint88

Oct 12, '16, 5:23am

As long as the game is awesome they can delay it all they want. This game looks so cool. As someone who grew up on the old old Mickey mouse cartoons I cannot wait for this. So hope they use this time wisely and make this game as awesome as it looks like it can be!

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums

Cuphead |The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread

Oct 12, '16, 6:08am

nicktorious_BIG wrote:I guess I'm necro-bumping this thread, but it looks like Cuphead is being delayed once again. It's now slated for 2017.

Not a bad thing. I logged in to post the update, but you beat me to it...by a fair margin. XD
Ah well. Not a big deal. They didn't have a firm 2016 date anywho.

Still curious to see what the final product looks like.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

One-Shot
Management
Management
XBL: OneIShot
PSN: OnelShot
Steam: One-Shot

Re: Cuphead |The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread

Oct 12, '16, 7:30am

This game has to be in trouble right? Whenever I see this game it doesn't seem like something that should take this long.
"I don't know what it means to be the water man" - Colin Moriarty

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Oct 12, '16, 8:16am

As much as I want this game, I think it's been a huge disservice for it to be shown off at so many shows without a release date of any kind. They should have shown it once, maybe twice, and then went into radio silence until the game had a solid release date. At this point, I worry that it will fall WAY short of our expectations once it drops.

SonofMar wrote:
I wonder if the art design and the transition to making it more like a Megaman inspired game has caused issues, like the addition of new enemy types and their animations and art styles and all that jazz.

You know...I hadn't thought of that and that might be a reason why its been delayed without a release date. For all the early footage of Cuphead that we got, it was never any platforming. It was just boss battles or a kind of boss rush which made us wonder what the game really consisted of. Then they put out that footage of some platforming last year or this year IIRC. Surely that animation style and art design is hard to put into a game so imagine having to create platforming segments for all the levels in that style. That would take a ton of time to do so that might explain the delays.
Last edited by The_Almighty_Foofy on Oct 12, '16, 1:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Oct 12, '16, 8:21am

One-Shot wrote:This game has to be in trouble right? Whenever I see this game it doesn't seem like something that should take this long.

I wonder if the art design and the transition to making it more like a Megaman inspired game has caused issues, like the addition of new enemy types and their animations and art styles and all that jazz.

Either way, I don't personally think it's in too much trouble yet, it's reaching something like 4 years in development. That said, here's to hoping it hits a release date in 2017.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Oct 12, '16, 9:07am

SonofMar wrote:
One-Shot wrote:This game has to be in trouble right? Whenever I see this game it doesn't seem like something that should take this long.

Either way, I don't personally think it's in too much trouble yet, it's reaching something like 4 years in development. That said, here's to hoping it hits a release date in 2017.

Yeah I'm sure the art design is playing a big part in the game's delay. I can't imagine animating a game like this to look like those classic Disney cartoons of yore. That probably takes some time. But...I'm not sure it takes THIS much time. I'm sure the game is probably nearing completion (at least I would hope so) but it's a tad alarming nonetheless.

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Oct 12, '16, 12:53pm

nicktorious_BIG wrote:Yeah I'm sure the art design is playing a big part in the game's delay. I can't imagine animating a game like this to look like those classic Disney cartoons of yore. That probably takes some time. But...I'm not sure it takes THIS much time. I'm sure the game is probably nearing completion (at least I would hope so) but it's a tad alarming nonetheless.

True, it will be reaching something like 4 years total of dev time. Hopefully it's a Q1 2017 title, fit it with the bombastic month of February or maybe March. But my balls tell me it's a May or even June 2017 title. ColinSpoon

The_Almighty_Foofy wrote:You know...I hadn't thought of that and that might be a reason why its been delayed without a release date. For all the early footage of Cuphead that we got, it was never any platforming. It was just boss battles or a kind of boss rush which made us wonder what the game really consisted of. Then they put out that footage of some platforming last year or this year IIRC. Surely that animation style and art design is hard to put into a game so imagine having to create platforming segments for all the levels in that style. That would take a ton of time to do so that might explain the delays.

Yeah, I hope that those guys there aren't under too much stress. That goes for every studio though. I have a feeling this game is going to be great still, and honestly better than it would have been initially. Especially it's new expanded focus, I am extremely jealous of Xbox users for having this as an exclusive.

But sadly, it is another case this generation of being shown off and talked about way sooner than needed. I get the need for PR and marketing for companies, but there is becoming ridiculous how these companies have managed their portfolios and lineups (Sony have been infamous about it this generation, for some damn reason). Sorry about the rant, it's just getting ridiculous portilloShu

! Message from: One-Shot
Please don't double post, you can use multiquote in one.

gravespy720
Portillo's Mouth Noises
XBL: gravespy720
PSN: gravespy720

Oct 12, '16, 3:28pm

So bummed that this game was delayed but at the same time....do what you need to do to make this game amazing.

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums

Jun 11, '17, 6:43pm

https://youtu.be/AhBIf279s80

Release date in trailer and OP.

Still wish it was just a boss rush game. Will be interesting to see if the wait was actually worth it.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Jun 11, '17, 9:59pm

Frostilyte wrote:https://youtu.be/AhBIf279s80

Release date in trailer and OP.

Still wish it was just a boss rush game. Will be interesting to see if the wait was actually worth it.

Me too....no clue if I will buy it...I'll wait for reviews

But my god the art is soo fucking amazing..too bad they added platforming to the game...maybe the game will get an update with a boss mode

Brotherhood93
Greg's Ego
PSN: M_O_T1919

Jun 12, '17, 4:42am

It looks amazing but I'm just not sure it's my type of game. Will be interesting to see how it reviews.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Jun 12, '17, 5:00am

I am totally on board with this one. Sign me up.
Steam: The_Redback
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Jun 12, '17, 5:36am

A release date? ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Cuphead |The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread

Jun 12, '17, 10:13am

The art style is so fucking great. I have loved every piece of footage I have seen from this game. It's just too bad I don't have an Xbox console of any sort...

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums

Jun 30, '17, 10:41am

So...apparently the game was originally just going to be a limited scope boss battle game, but after the feedback from the demo at E3 2015 the devs rebuilt the game to actually be the full scope of what they originally envisioned.

Sauce
“We realized that there were a lot of people out there that wanted what we were doing,” Moldenhauer said. “My brother and I quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses and began expanding the team. This was our chance to actually deliver the game we wanted to make all along, rather than the cut-scope game we originally planned with a three person team.”
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

touchfuzzy
Shadow Boxer

Re: Cuphead | The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread

Jun 30, '17, 1:58pm

Lost interest years ago, and now don't even have an Xbox anymore. These limited indie games just can't take this long to come out.

Return to “Xbox”