Alexander Steed
Best Friend
PSN: blaze_the_dead

The Nintendo Console I Want.

Jan 06, '17, 11:27pm

The Nintendo console I want would look like the SNES. It would have wireless SNES controllers and a 20 gig hard drive. The console would play NES, SNES and all manor of Gameboy/DS games via the Virtual Console. Thats it. Obviously Netflix and other similar apps would need to be supported. This seems rather simple and relatively inexpensive. What do you guys want from a Nintendo console?

GregB
Shadow Boxer

Jan 08, '17, 5:37am

Ideally it would just be a Virtual Console app and new game releases for this

But if the Switch can deliver on it's potential, then that's fine too.

themoose5
Pure One
PSN: biG_moose_5
Steam: themoose5

Jan 08, '17, 7:29am

GregB wrote:Ideally it would just be a Virtual Console app and new game releases for this

But if the Switch can deliver on it's potential, then that's fine too.

I'd want them to ditch hardware all together become a publisher and put all their games on the xbox and playstation.

GO HAWKS!
ImageImage

JRV
Baller

Re: The Nintendo Console I Want.

Jan 08, '17, 7:33am

Personally, I think that I want a system very much like what are making something that can be portable and well a home console, I am not sure of the balance between those two things. I want a system that has a solid VC one that has an cheaper upgrade cost for people who have the games on pervious systems at least. I want the system to be different then just another PS4/XB1, and I want something I can sit back and play while I am watching TV. As far as software, something that they use in creative ways to make their games better.

Honestly, I don't think they would put their games on PS4/5 or XB1/2 if they stopped making games, I personally think that if they stopped making consoles they would be far more likely to just go straight mobile with their IP and be a mobile company than cross over to be a third party developer. Especially if their mobile games do well this year, and the NS fails.

Mr_Jetton
Unsung Hero

Jan 08, '17, 1:51pm

I want Switch to have the same messaging that the PS4 has. A console by gamers for gamers. I want them to put a large focus on games both big and small. Your hybrid concept isn't going to matter if you don't have a great lineup of games from both 1st and 3rd Party.

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Jan 08, '17, 3:03pm

I'd rather it not be a carbon copy of XBone or PS4. It should be its own thing.

I'd rather them have their own console. If they did go the route of software only. I'd want them to commit to one system. When Sega went software only and was on 3 systems it was a pain.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Tardis1982
Baller

Jan 10, '17, 5:37am

Alexander Steed wrote:The Nintendo console I want would look like the SNES. It would have wireless SNES controllers and a 20 gig hard drive. The console would play NES, SNES and all manor of Gameboy/DS games via the Virtual Console. Thats it. Obviously Netflix and other similar apps would need to be supported. This seems rather simple and relatively inexpensive. What do you guys want from a Nintendo console?

No I want them to get out of the hardware business all together. The last great console they made was SNES and its been a downward slope ever since. If they released a Mario game on Ps4 and Xbone it would easily sell 30 million copies.
PSN Tardis632
XBL Figment632
NID Tardis1982
STM Tardis1982

themoose5
Pure One

Jan 10, '17, 4:56pm

Tardis1982 wrote:
Alexander Steed wrote:The Nintendo console I want would look like the SNES. It would have wireless SNES controllers and a 20 gig hard drive. The console would play NES, SNES and all manor of Gameboy/DS games via the Virtual Console. Thats it. Obviously Netflix and other similar apps would need to be supported. This seems rather simple and relatively inexpensive. What do you guys want from a Nintendo console?

No I want them to get out of the hardware business all together. The last great console they made was SNES and its been a downward slope ever since. If they released a Mario game on Ps4 and Xbone it would easily sell 30 million copies.

If the forums had up votes, I would up vote the hell out of this post.

GO HAWKS!
ImageImage

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

Jan 10, '17, 5:21pm

As long as the switch does not have BS restrictions then its going to be my most played system on this gen

nicktorious_BIG
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Jan 10, '17, 5:29pm

JerrodDRagon wrote:As long as the switch does not have BS restrictions then its going to be my most played system on this gen

I'm just curious, but what kind of restrictions are you talking about?

Kozibear
Unsung Hero
PSN: kozinawesome
NNID: Kozinawesome

Jan 10, '17, 10:30pm

I think that people in this thread are greatly overestimating how much of a net profit Nintendo would make from going third party; while them publishing their games for the Xbox and PS4 would significantly open up the amount of gamers that would have access to their games, their role as a third party would force them to take a sizeable cut on how much dough they make selling Smash Bros. and Mario Kart (as a portion of the sales would go to Microsoft and Sony). Nintendo is not doing particularly well at the moment, but so long as they can make more money selling their software on proprietary hardware, or a future console (like the Switch) holds the promise of potentially being huge, there's no reason for them to go third party (but, I can definitely understand your frustration if the reason you want Nintendo to go third party is specifically because you feel like them stranding their excellent games on their low-selling, meagre hardware is unfair, and does a disservice to the larger gaming audience and to their own talents.)

So far, the Switch is fairly on-target for what I want out of a Nintendo console. However, it's missing two things. The first is a trophy achievement system; I would go insane playing through classic Nintendo titles to earn trophies; however, given how simple their coin system is as part of their "My Nintendo" account, I doubt that they are going to commit to such a system anytime soon (but on the plus side, I appreciate using the aforementioned coins to buy games; if only they could combine them with a more robust system...if only...)

The second is a sort of Nintendo Netflix, a subscription-based service that allows me to instantaneous stream Virtual console games - and as many of them at launch as possible, instead of just a small drip-feed of them. This is obviously not a new idea, but I really like it (there are a few retro games I've been burned on in the past because of how stiff they feel/difficult they are, and I would love to be able to instantly jump into them at a moments notice to see how they feel), and actually think this is pretty likely.
I blog about things sometimes, as people my age do.
Check out these bloggings here!

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

Jan 10, '17, 10:35pm

nicktorious_BIG wrote:
JerrodDRagon wrote:As long as the switch does not have BS restrictions then its going to be my most played system on this gen

I'm just curious, but what kind of restrictions are you talking about?

No mics in online games, having to be always online to play (Mario run shows they will do it), having friend codes instead of just a username you send a friend request too, unable to earn My Nintendo points without being connected to the internet, and lastly unable to play some download games unless connected to online because its a secondly account
Mainly scared that they will lock achievements, games, and some modes to online only for some reason (they'll say hacking) because I plan on playing this system on the go as much as i can

Tardis1982
Baller

Jan 11, '17, 5:35am

Kozibear wrote:I think that people in this thread are greatly overestimating how much of a net profit Nintendo would make from going third party; while them publishing their games for the Xbox and PS4 would significantly open up the amount of gamers that would have access to their games, their role as a third party would force them to take a sizeable cut on how much dough they make selling Smash Bros. and Mario Kart (as a portion of the sales would go to Microsoft and Sony). Nintendo is not doing particularly well at the moment, but so long as they can make more money selling their software on proprietary hardware, or a future console (like the Switch) holds the promise of potentially being huge, there's no reason for them to go third party (but, I can definitely understand your frustration if the reason you want Nintendo to go third party is specifically because you feel like them stranding their excellent games on their low-selling, meagre hardware is unfair, and does a disservice to the larger gaming audience and to their own talents.)

So far, the Switch is fairly on-target for what I want out of a Nintendo console. However, it's missing two things. The first is a trophy achievement system; I would go insane playing through classic Nintendo titles to earn trophies; however, given how simple their coin system is as part of their "My Nintendo" account, I doubt that they are going to commit to such a system anytime soon (but on the plus side, I appreciate using the aforementioned coins to buy games; if only they could combine them with a more robust system...if only...)

The second is a sort of Nintendo Netflix, a subscription-based service that allows me to instantaneous stream Virtual console games - and as many of them at launch as possible, instead of just a small drip-feed of them. This is obviously not a new idea, but I really like it (there are a few retro games I've been burned on in the past because of how stiff they feel/difficult they are, and I would love to be able to instantly jump into them at a moments notice to see how they feel), and actually think this is pretty likely.

It would even out they wouldn't be wasting money on R&D and producing hardware.
PSN Tardis632
XBL Figment632
NID Tardis1982
STM Tardis1982

Littleraven89
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Savagechild89

Jan 11, '17, 9:17am

The more I think about what I want from Nintendo the more I realize it is not for them to go head to head with Sony and Microsoft. There is no point. If they are dead set on remaining in the console space I want them to just make new IP and get third party support in the sense that they aren't just getting the same games Playstation and Xbox have but their own exclusives. I have no clue how that would work but if they have third parties not just try to port over the big games but actually make exclusives for them they would be golden for me.

They would have their lineup of rfirst party exclusives but also a stead stream of exclusives from third party devs. Again. How that would work I have no clue but if they could offer something new but still seen as on the level of a Call of Duty or a Grand Theft Auto it would certainly turn heads. I don't need to play Destiny or The Division or Mass Effect or whatever on my Nintendo console. I have a Playstation for that. Give me something new. They can keep pushing out Zelda and Mario because those are their staples but if they could get some new exclusive IP rolling in that would be awesome. Imagine if Nintendo had studios like Sony just rolling out new IP all the time instead of all the same games. If they had that on TOP of their first part studios it would be cool. And sure not everything Sony or Microsoft do is new IP but they still do it at least once per console generation. The last truly new IP of note from Nintendo on a console was Splatoon.

Tardis1982
Baller

Jan 11, '17, 9:43am

Littleraven89 wrote:The more I think about what I want from Nintendo the more I realize it is not for them to go head to head with Sony and Microsoft. There is no point. If they are dead set on remaining in the console space I want them to just make new IP and get third party support in the sense that they aren't just getting the same games Playstation and Xbox have but their own exclusives. I have no clue how that would work but if they have third parties not just try to port over the big games but actually make exclusives for them they would be golden for me.

They would have their lineup of rfirst party exclusives but also a stead stream of exclusives from third party devs. Again. How that would work I have no clue but if they could offer something new but still seen as on the level of a Call of Duty or a Grand Theft Auto it would certainly turn heads. I don't need to play Destiny or The Division or Mass Effect or whatever on my Nintendo console. I have a Playstation for that. Give me something new. They can keep pushing out Zelda and Mario because those are their staples but if they could get some new exclusive IP rolling in that would be awesome. Imagine if Nintendo had studios like Sony just rolling out new IP all the time instead of all the same games. If they had that on TOP of their first part studios it would be cool. And sure not everything Sony or Microsoft do is new IP but they still do it at least once per console generation. The last truly new IP of note from Nintendo on a console was Splatoon.

You don't need to play those games on a Nintendo console but for people that can only buy one console (not me I have all 3) they need to have those games to get people to buy it. The thing is to make that happen the console has to be on par with the other consoles to attract ports. For the Switch to succeed they need more than just Nintendo fans to buy in.
PSN Tardis632
XBL Figment632
NID Tardis1982
STM Tardis1982

Littleraven89
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Savagechild89

Jan 11, '17, 10:17am

Tardis1982 wrote:You don't need to play those games on a Nintendo console but for people that can only buy one console (not me I have all 3) they need to have those games to get people to buy it. The thing is to make that happen the console has to be on par with the other consoles to attract ports. For the Switch to succeed they need more than just Nintendo fans to buy in.

True but it is too late for Nintendo to compete with Sony or Microsoft. People are already way too ingrained in those ecosystems. Sure there is a pretty fluid middle ground where people will switch from one to the other (see last gen to this gen) but overall I feel like unless Nintendo goes all in on hardware they just can't keep up with where games are going. The Switch sure doesn't seem to be powerful enough. Sure they could get away with being on par with a PS3 or even a step up from it like the Wii U but I guess my point is that Nintendo is stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. They need to have all the big third party games to give people who only can buy one console a reason to buy in HOWEVER most people who play those games (for the most part) are all in on Playstation or Xbox.

That is why I say get games that are exclusive to the console but NOT Nintendo games. I can't speak for how many people would jump to Nintendo if they had a console as powerful as PS4 and Xbox One but I just can't see it being that high. Sure you would have some people say "finally", go all in on Nintendo and never look back but I can bet you the average gamer would not be that person. Especially the current generation of gamers coming up now. They don't know Nintendo like we do. They probably love it in their own way because they know what a DS is but I just can't see Nintendo trying to be the exact same thing as Playstation and Xbox. That is what I thought I wanted years ago but then realized around the time that Wii U came out and for a minute there WAS some parity that I started getting everything on PS4.

I get that there is this sub section of people who can only afford a single console. But that does not somehow dictate that Nintendo somehow needs to step into an already crowded room and try and compete with Sony and Microsoft in the exact same way. In my opinion anyway. Which is funny because I have never been a fan of the blue ocean strategy but Nintendo has sort of cornered themselves into it by letting Sony and Microsoft sit so comfortably on top for the last 15 or so years.

Don't get me wrong. Nintendo can still be a major power in the industry. Hell no one is really denying that they aren't one still. They OWN the handheld market which is why I think the switch will do well but I just can't see them in any world sitting side by side with Sony and Microsoft selling the same games in similar hardware. I would love for them to prove me wrong but I feel like if they went all in on a console that powerful and still failed it would be really really bad for them.

Kozibear
Unsung Hero
PSN: kozinawesome
NNID: Kozinawesome

Jan 11, '17, 10:56am

Tardis1982 wrote:
Kozibear wrote:I think that people in this thread are greatly overestimating how much of a net profit Nintendo would make from going third party; while them publishing their games for the Xbox and PS4 would significantly open up the amount of gamers that would have access to their games, their role as a third party would force them to take a sizeable cut on how much dough they make selling Smash Bros. and Mario Kart (as a portion of the sales would go to Microsoft and Sony). Nintendo is not doing particularly well at the moment, but so long as they can make more money selling their software on proprietary hardware, or a future console (like the Switch) holds the promise of potentially being huge, there's no reason for them to go third party (but, I can definitely understand your frustration if the reason you want Nintendo to go third party is specifically because you feel like them stranding their excellent games on their low-selling, meagre hardware is unfair, and does a disservice to the larger gaming audience and to their own talents.)

It would even out they wouldn't be wasting money on R&D and producing hardware.

Maybe. Ultimately though, Nintendo's imperative is to make as much money as possible, not just "enough," so for the time being, them continuing to make the switch, which has the potential in their minds to be a huge windfall for them, makes sense for them. We'll see.
I blog about things sometimes, as people my age do.
Check out these bloggings here!

Tardis1982
Baller

Jan 11, '17, 11:47am

[/quote]Maybe. Ultimately though, Nintendo's imperative is to make as much money as possible, not just "enough," so for the time being, them continuing to make the switch, which has the potential in their minds to be a huge windfall for them, makes sense for them. We'll see.[/quote]

Yea don't get me wrong I love Nintendo they just seem to be way out of touch the last decade or so.
PSN Tardis632
XBL Figment632
NID Tardis1982
STM Tardis1982

themoose5
Pure One

Jan 11, '17, 8:10pm

Tardis1982 wrote:
Littleraven89 wrote:The more I think about what I want from Nintendo the more I realize it is not for them to go head to head with Sony and Microsoft. There is no point. If they are dead set on remaining in the console space I want them to just make new IP and get third party support in the sense that they aren't just getting the same games Playstation and Xbox have but their own exclusives. I have no clue how that would work but if they have third parties not just try to port over the big games but actually make exclusives for them they would be golden for me.

You don't need to play those games on a Nintendo console but for people that can only buy one console (not me I have all 3) they need to have those games to get people to buy it. The thing is to make that happen the console has to be on par with the other consoles to attract ports. For the Switch to succeed they need more than just Nintendo fans to buy in.

^This!

GO HAWKS!
ImageImage