8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 13
MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Re: Super Mario Odyssey | Discussion

Nov 13, '17, 7:06pm

So, this game has been easy so far, on normal mode. Though I think the toughest boss was in the water/beach area, and that was largely my inability to target and aim in inverse, if you know what I mean. That one boss took a long time to beat.

But now I'm in the luncheon area, and I'm in one of the "dungeon" areas where it is rotating platforms. Every 3 seconds they rotate on their axis so if you don't jump in time you will be thrown to the side. I've died so many times here just because this is where the 3D platformer in me chokes all the time and can't seem to land accurately. This is probably annoying to others who find this the 3D platforming test that drives them up the wall, because if you can't land where you mean to land then you fail. It's bringing back some of what I didn't like about Jak & Daxter. And, like, you know, I see this as a fun challenge, but only part of the time. I can get within an inch of the end of the circuit, just to fail, and then fail again over and over at the beginning. Progress here isn't a sure thing.

This is just a rant post. I've paused the game to calm down. Then I'll go back at it. At least it's not a long circuit. But I have lost a lot of coin here.

...Nope. Fuck this dungeon. I'm going to throw something against the wall in anger if I keep trying.

EDIT: I made it, on what feels like the 50th attempt. The moon at the end is called "Spinning Athletics End Goal". It's a blue door which is accessed by activating a blue scarecrow.
Last edited by MeatCake on Nov 14, '17, 4:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Just say no to loot crates

Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

Nov 14, '17, 1:05am

I think this a polished game but I’m having a hard time falling in love with it like everyone else seems to be.

It’s ok.

What am I missing?

ThePomars
Pure One
XBL: iiKiDxIronMan
NNID: OmarChaos

Nov 14, '17, 8:40am

Eve Narlieth wrote:I think this a polished game but I’m having a hard time falling in love with it like everyone else seems to be.

It’s ok.

What am I missing?

Not everyone has to be a fan, how far are you into the game?

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Nov 14, '17, 9:21am

Eve Narlieth wrote:I think this a polished game but I’m having a hard time falling in love with it like everyone else seems to be.

It’s ok.

What am I missing?

Nothing. It just might not hit you in that way.

I feel the same way about "The Last of Us" and what I've seen from "Breath of the Wild." Both are awesome games, but I just don't get into them. It doesn't take away anything from those games, it is just for me.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

KFlo
Unsung Hero
XBL: Brabinski
PSN: Brabinski

Nov 14, '17, 11:14am

It’s ok.

What am I missing?

I'm kind of in the same boat. It's a great game but to me it feels more like a follow up to 3D world than a Galaxy successor.

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Nov 14, '17, 11:10pm

What are those yellow jumping & swimming balls in the pink "lava" of the Luncheon Kingdom? I completed this part of the game never understanding what is the thing nor how it could heat up a stew by dunking itself.

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Nov 15, '17, 12:04am

ThePomars wrote:
Not everyone has to be a fan, how far are you into the game?

I've just reached the Forest world (which I picked instead of the swimming world)

MannySJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Nov 15, '17, 12:59am

MeatCake wrote:What are those yellow jumping & swimming balls in the pink "lava" of the Luncheon Kingdom? I completed this part of the game never understanding what is the thing nor how it could heat up a stew by dunking itself.

They're fireballs, aka the Mario enemy, Lava Bubble: https://www.mariowiki.com/Lava_Bubble

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Nov 15, '17, 3:45am

MannySJ wrote:
MeatCake wrote:What are those yellow jumping & swimming balls in the pink "lava" of the Luncheon Kingdom? I completed this part of the game never understanding what is the thing nor how it could heat up a stew by dunking itself.

They're fireballs, aka the Mario enemy, Lava Bubble: https://www.mariowiki.com/Lava_Bubble

Thanks. I guess part of my confusion is that this pink "lava" doesn't look the way something super-hot should look. It roils and bubbles, but doesn't steam, so given the food theme I just thought this was a liquified luncheon meat, or perhaps a ham congee. I understood the gaming aspect, of separating what you can do on land versus what you can do in liquid, but the theme of the kingdom didn't congeal for me. In retrospect, this became the turning point where the game went into WTF territory and my confidence in the game started to waver.

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer

Nov 15, '17, 5:46am

Eve Narlieth wrote:
I've just reached the Forest world (which I picked instead of the swimming world)

I would give this game more of a shot, because there are some really fun worlds that you haven't reached yet.

Personally, I loved the Beach world (so many caves to explore as a mario fish), Donk city, Bowsers castle was amazing in the scope of it, and the last level (sorry, dont' want to spoil it).

I didn't mind the Forest level but it wasn't much of anything to me. I thought Cappies kingdom was fun and had a great "noir" feel to it, but rather "small." Felt the same about the snow kingdom.

A side note: A lot of those worlds also open up after you beat the story line, so what you see now will be more open after you beat the game.

Personally, Odyssey is turning into a time-waster for me. I played about an hour last night, exploring different worlds, finding moons, but I definitely have slowed down on the game play since I "beat" the story line. Now, I just turn it on to explore the worlds, or to play with my two boys, but the "need" to play it has dropped significantly.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Nov 15, '17, 6:55am

BedaHouse wrote:
I would give this game more of a shot, because there are some really fun worlds that you haven't reached yet.

Personally, I loved the Beach world (so many caves to explore as a mario fish), Donk city, Bowsers castle was amazing in the scope of it, and the last level (sorry, dont' want to spoil it).

Thanks for the feedback :)

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer

Nov 15, '17, 7:19am

Eve Narlieth wrote:Thanks for the feedback :)

No problem. KFBF

Small side now: When you can free-roam in New Donk city -- do the small side mission and get all the musicians to play for the city festival, and definitely join the for the party once its all done. It is so worth it SeemsGood
Last edited by nicktorious_BLT on Nov 15, '17, 3:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quotes.

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Nov 15, '17, 9:06pm

I hope that Phil Fish is pleased to see Super Mario Odyssey take a bit of inspiration from his game FEZ. Those silver cubes are similar.

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Nov 15, '17, 11:51pm

BedaHouse wrote:
Eve Narlieth wrote:Thanks for the feedback :)

No problem. KFBF

Small side now: When you can free-roam in New Donk city -- do the small side mission and get all the musicians to play for the city festival, and definitely join the for the party once its all done. It is so worth it SeemsGood

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for that!

On another note, I saw Andy talking about Mario Odissey in a similar way I'm feeling. Means I'm not that weird, or that we both are :D

touchfuzzy
Shadow Boxer

Nov 16, '17, 5:41am

KFlo wrote:

It’s ok.

What am I missing?

I'm kind of in the same boat. It's a great game but to me it feels more like a follow up to 3D world than a Galaxy successor.

I think it's neither -- it's more like the true follow up to Super Mario 64 that we waited 20 years for. That's what makes everyone love it so much, especially us old timers. I don't know about you or others, but if you were too young and/or not alive when Mario 64 was out and the hot game, Odyssey wouldn't quite have the same nostalgic kick.

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Nov 16, '17, 5:49am

touchfuzzy wrote:
I think it's neither -- it's more like the true follow up to Super Mario 64 that we waited 20 years for. That's what makes everyone love it so much, especially us old timers. I don't know about you or others, but if you were too young and/or not alive when Mario 64 was out and the hot game, Odyssey wouldn't quite have the same nostalgic kick.

Yeah I was there for the whole Mario 64, but I enjoyed Sunshine a lot more. I loved Sunshine..

KFlo
Unsung Hero
XBL: Brabinski
PSN: Brabinski

Nov 16, '17, 9:18am

touchfuzzy wrote:
KFlo wrote:

It’s ok.

What am I missing?

Eh I think everyone loving it so much is moreso that it's a new Mario game. I wouldn't put it in the same ballpark as 64. That's why I said it doesn't even feel like a Galaxy or Sunshine successor. Just feels like a sequel to 3D world IMO. Nothing wrong with that though, its still a great Mario game.

ALSO, just thought of this as I was typing my reply and had to add it... I think maybe I feel like the way I do about Odyssey is because I'm not playing it on a TV like 64/Sunshine/Galaxy but on the Switch screen. I remember thinking 3D World felt more like a 3DS game when I was playing it on the Wii U pad.

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Super Mario Odyssey | Discussion

Nov 17, '17, 6:33am

I'm over 400 moons -- not a brag -- so I think I've seen enough of the game to ask this question:

What are your favourite and worst game elements in the game?
► Show Spoiler

touchfuzzy
Shadow Boxer

Nov 18, '17, 6:32pm

770 moons here... coming up on completion.

Worst capture is definitely the Bullet Bill. Something that should be kind of fun handcuffed by mind boggling controls. Don't get me started on the "On the Eastern Pillar" moon. Also, the high requirements to get the mini game moons. 100 is extremely difficult on the jump rope and volleyball games. Fortunately, people found ways to cheese them, or else I don't think I would ever complete the game.

My favorite captures were the fireball and hammer throwing guys. Controlled in interesting ways and just a lot of fun.

channelocho
Unsung Hero
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Nov 18, '17, 9:58pm

I can't even get the regular volleyball moon, I cannot imagine how annoyed, angry and frustrated I would get if I tried to get 100.

Return to “Nintendo”