Total votes: 15
nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Super Mario Odyssey | Discussion

Oct 26, '17, 8:55am

Well reviews are coming out and oh man this makes me want to purchase a Switch right away...

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Oct 26, '17, 10:13am

nicktorious_BLT wrote:Well reviews are coming out and oh man this makes me want to purchase a Switch right away...
]

Get the Mario Odyssey themed Switch kfgames kfhappy
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer
XBL: shanest88
PSN: shanethesaint88

Re: Super Mario Odyssey | Discussion

Oct 26, '17, 10:58am

Not surprised by this great reviews at all. I'm sure the game is great but the games media would give a term with Mario slapped onto it a 10/10 just because it has Mario in the name. I'm excited to play this game tomorrow don't get me wrong but I don't put much stock in Mario reviews

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Oct 26, '17, 11:10am

BedaHouse wrote:Get the Mario Odyssey themed Switch kfgames kfhappy

Ooo...I just googled what you meant and they do look very pretty. It's just too bad I'm a broke man. FeelsBadMan

MannySJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Oct 26, '17, 11:14am

nicktorious_BLT wrote:
BedaHouse wrote:Get the Mario Odyssey themed Switch kfgames kfhappy

Ooo...I just googled what you meant and they do look very pretty. It's just too bad I'm a broke man. FeelsBadMan

Sell a kidney!

KindaMatt
Seducer
PSN: MattKZ11

Oct 26, '17, 1:03pm

I won't have time to play it anytime soon (I really want to play Wolfenstein first and I don't have a lot of free time these days), but knowing that Nintendo games never drop in price I'm super tempted to get the 20% off + 10$ back at Best Buy now and play it in a month.
But then in a month Xenoblade is coming out GreatScott

NotLikeThis

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Oct 26, '17, 1:28pm

KindaMatt wrote:But then in a month Xenoblade is coming out

I think you mean Xenodork portilloSexyGreg

Nysown
Pure One
XBL: SilkWilkins88
PSN: SilkWilkins88
NNID: Nysown

Oct 27, '17, 9:48am

I can't wait to get off of work to go pick up my copy.
" portilloX gon' give it to ya phuck waiting for you to get it on your own portilloX gon' deliver to ya"

channelocho
Producer
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Oct 27, '17, 11:18am

I couldn't wait, as my Amazon preorder wasn't going to get here until next week, so I bought it at Walmart and will return my amazon copy there when it arrives (as I got my prime discount on the game)

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Oct 28, '17, 10:26am

I love this game. It's like Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, and Super Mario all got together and had a baby. Open-world 3D platforming levels are like museum exhibits, where you can engage the gameplay/puzzle vignettes in whatever order you please. Well, there is a little bit of gating so that you have to do a few things in order to progress, but I've found that there are alternative paths that bypass the thing that is in front of me. I could also be near the end of the level, just before the boss fight, but I decide to zip back to the beginning to clear some other objectives. I can do that. Checkpoints are fast-travel points. There is a lot of user-friendliness, like not "dying" from falling great heights to the ground. But the vignettes, with their action challenges are as difficult if not more difficult than, say, Mario's 3D World. I would say that there's something for everyone here. The game is modern and fair. Makes it as tough as you want, or just have a leisurely romp.

“Now that is the look that softens every bone in my body, except one.” -Mortdecai

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer

Oct 28, '17, 10:51am

Agreed. I find this game making me WANT to explore. It feels "open" world without hundreds of side quests to worry about.

Now, I'm LOOKING for the secret walls, rooms, etc. and find myself unconcerned with getting to the objective (to "just get through it")
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Oct 28, '17, 1:32pm

Just put in a few hours. Already having more fun than Zelda. Though it had its update within the cart. I'm still unable to hook my Switch to the internet. :-/ should have known I was wishing for to much. I just gotta make sure the games I do get are complete without the need to download anything.
We don’t go balls to the wall, we go nuts to butts.

DigiParasite
Best Friend

Oct 28, '17, 6:36pm

Decided to get it, just landed in the Forest Kingdom and I'm enjoying it so far, haven't played a Mario game like this since 64.

channelocho
Producer
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Oct 29, '17, 7:20am

After a few hours I have learned you just need to throw cappy at everything, there have been times that I have been trying to figure out how to find a moon or how to open a door that I just threw the hat at it and it works. I have found that I have had more than enough moons to progress, but I just stay in a world and try and find as many as I can, where I would normally just move on in any other games

touchfuzzy
Shadow Boxer

Oct 29, '17, 9:08am

I would recommend not being TOO much of a completionist, at least until you unlock all the worlds. Some later levels have warp portals back to secret areas in previous worlds. So, if you're stuck looking for one last moon in Cascade Kingdom... just move on, lol.

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer

Oct 29, '17, 9:28am

I love how there are certain moons you can get only if you have the outfit from that world. Thought it was a fun/clever way to make the outfits “matter”

(I’ve only run into that once, but figure it will come up again)

Me
Producer
XBL: MrADay
PSN: ADay000
NNID: MrADay
Steam: ADayOOO

Oct 29, '17, 11:58am

The one thing about this game that I keep going back and forth with is how each moon is kind of a micro-task, as opposed to 64 and Sunshine where each (usually) feels like its own mission within each world. I know that some moons are more involved and drawn out than others, but something just feels off sometimes. Some are really creative and fun, but I think it brings me closer to that tedious feeling of collecting a bunch of items, as opposed to like 10 more substantial adventures within a world.

I think I have mixed feelings on this because there is a variety here. There are just moons sitting there to collect, but some do have more in-depth activities tied to them. I will also say that I'm starting to like this game more and more, despite being a little bit run down at the beginning of the game. I also just don't like the Lake Kingdom...

Oh and if you have OCD for collecting things, New Donk will mess you up lol. Probably my favorite kingdom (so far).

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer

Oct 29, '17, 3:04pm

My kid just renamed the flying odyssey, the “hatmobile”. Gotta say I’m damn proud

In terms of moon collection: I feel as if you are just exploring/curious, you will find the moons you need

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Oct 29, '17, 7:36pm

Two comments:
  • The Broodle boss in the sand desert is so adorable! She's the one that flings tethered bombs at you. But the way she does it, with a "ahnn!" vocal expression amuses me to no end
  • Wooded Kingdom has lots of cool stuff to do but it sure is complex and easy to get disorientated. Plus the map here doesn't seem to help

“Now that is the look that softens every bone in my body, except one.” -Mortdecai

MannySJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Oct 30, '17, 12:30pm

Having such a great time with it so far. As others have already said, the sense of exploration is fantastic. I'm exploring a good amount and have yet to find all the moons or purple coins in any world. There is so much to do and none of it feels like work.

I also love all the little details, like how all the world maps are brochures with fun little descriptions. Every inch of the game has something to discover, big or small.

Return to “Nintendo”