User avatar
HavokX
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 736
Joined: Jun 07, '15, 8:19pm
PSN: Havok83

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Aug 26, '16, 11:20am

Mavryk wrote:
MeatCake wrote:I caught a Meowth with 10 CP (literally minimal) and the appraisal said that this Pokemon can battle with the best of them. Now that's being polite/diplomatic to the degree of being unhelpful.


That's because the appraisal is about their hidden stats, not their Combat power. If you trained that Meowth to the maximum level, it will supposedly out perform others of the same level. No two Pokemon are alike, even when you catch the exact same Pokemon over and over because they have a bunch of hidden stats that differentiate them, just like in the main games.

And CP is a metric of the hidden stats, which a 10CP pokemon isnt high in. The appraisal system is broken. It told me, my 50 CP Magikarp was as good as my 652 CP Magmar. I forgot what she said but it was favorable towards both. I dont see how the hidden stats could even place Magikarp at the same level as that Pokemon

Weidleface wrote:
Wildblood wrote:


It's not that you have to hold a gym for over 21 hours, it's that you can only redeem Pokecoins every 21 hours. Oftentimes I'll get a pokemon in a gym and just redeem immediately since I know they won't be able to hang out in there for long, and I have no intention of taking over any other gyms that day.

My highest number was 7 and I lucked out on getting that bc I was out at 5:30AM before most people got up
Image

User avatar
MeatCake
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 717
Joined: May 05, '16, 11:51am

Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 17, '16, 12:57am

A day with the Pokémon GO Plus

This came at the right time. I've nearly caught them all so my end-game is to appraise and sort out the best pokémon and power them up. It's largely grinding because all I need to generate is stardust. But oh my gosh does it get tedious to do the same things over and over! This used to be addictive but knowing the fact that I've captured thousands of pokémon threatens to ruin the experience. Additionally, I would much rather get more steady walking in if I could stop interrupting it to look at a small game screen. I've already captured them before, why must I prove myself again and again?

So here's the deal: Green means another pokémon of the kind that you have previously caught. Yellow means a pokémon you haven't caught before -- when will you see that? And Blue means a pokéstop. It boils down to either you click the button or you don't. Either you take what's given or you wait for it to go away. I must say it nearly brought tears to my eyes when I caught a Pikachu with a single click of a button. If you know how fussy these creatures are, then you know you can waste a lot of balls and berries on them. And it's fast! Like only seconds to perform the attempted capture. This is also very efficient on poké balls. You use just one (and only poke balls, it doesn't migrate to higher-level balls), either it works on first try or they escape. Your results will vary, but I found the tendency was to capture more times than escape. Having said that, I do believe this mechanism to be a drain on regular poke balls. And if you're going for something rare or tough to capture, you're better off going back to the game screen.

This device worked well with my mobile phone. On the screen there is a small icon for the GO Plus. This is is both a toggle off and on for connectivity with the device. But also when it is active it will draw a line to the thing on your screen that it has selected, be it a pokémon or a pokéstop. It will also give brief contextual bubbles to explain what happened, like when the squirtle ran away. You can do other things in the game, like manage your inventory while the GO Plus continues to work. The only time I found it to stop working was when I selected something in the field, like a pokémon. I think pokéstops were okay. But it stands to reason, if you're going to take on capturing a pokémon yourself then the device needs to surrender control. But then you have to remember to re-enable when you're done.

So I did a drive test. The question was whether I could harvest pokéstops to fill up on balls without the assistance of someone else playing the game on my behalf. This is where the gameplay started to become a problem. For some reason that I don't understand, the Pokémon GO Plus device seems to draw out more drive-by pokémon than you would ever see if you were playing the game without it. Seriously, like every 5 seconds the green light was lighting up! This got me a little upset because the thing I was trying to do was get pokéstops but instead for 80% of the time I had to clear the monsters before I could reach the stops. Indeed, when the game is selecting objects around you it does seem to favour the monsters over the stops. So, with pressing the button so frequently it is at least mechanically challenging more than mentally distracting.

“Now that is the look that softens every bone in my body, except one.” -Mortdecai

User avatar
Mavryk
Management
Management
Posts: 5471
Joined: May 16, '15, 10:34pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven
Contact: Twitter

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 18, '16, 3:55am

Interesting stuff!

I haven't been able to play much recently because it's Magpie breeding season down under, which means Magpies (and other birds) will swoop whenever you get too close to their nests. Unfortunately I have one right near my house so the last few times I've tried to take an evening walk, the birds attack. So my dreams of being a Pokemon Master has slowed down of late... and only a few Pokemon come close enough to my house to catch.
Image
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
MeatCake
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 717
Joined: May 05, '16, 11:51am

Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 18, '16, 8:03am

Having the Pokémon GO Plus device for a couple of days, here's an update on observations:
  • Forget what you know about gameplay because this changes them. It is now a lottery and a single click does it all
  • You can also play mind-tricks on yourself because if the pokémon runs away you're going to blame yourself for choosing to use Plus over traditional gameplay. But you need to think more like Spock and less like Kirk in this situation
  • Only poke balls. If you don't have them, you can't capture any pokémon. The higher-grade balls never get used
  • XP awarded for poké stops no longer appears on screen, that includes when your backpack is full
  • Plus is highly aggressive at detecting pokémon that you wouldn't ordinarily see while driving. What I observed was Plus hunting invisible pokémon, because latency makes most in-range pokémon not appear in time while you drive by. This accounts for my earlier statement about it feeling like Plus was alerting every five seconds. This either points to an artificial advantage of the Plus or that that the game is crippled with a built-in delay so that you're not seeing even half of what is out there
  • Plus can be frustratingly slow to trigger on nearby poké stops and to a lesser degree the pokémon around you while on foot. I spent some time grinding at my favourite nests and was waiting for the game to clean-up on the rest of the things around me. It could take minutes for this to happen. If I was impatient I could do them manually, but walking towards the things also helped it to trigger
  • It is clear that Plus prioritizes pokémon over poké stops. Only after nearby pokémon are removed will it go for the poké stop(s)
  • Plus is incredibly fast because it eliminates the animations. One click of a button and in a couple of seconds you're done. Other people can spend minutes on that Arcanine but you're done and gone
  • Plus is just a disco light and clicker. All decisions are made in the app. If you are going to succeed in your pokémon capture, then the pokémon has already appeared in your inventory before the Plus has gone through its lighting/vibrating ritual

Pokémon GO Plus eats balls. So either you buy more balls or you figure out how to efficiently harvest many poké stops. Since playing Plus while driving prioritizes the pokémon over poké stops, your ability to fill-up while driving solo is actually poor. For this harvest strategy, you're better off letting someone else drive while you manually select the poké stops.

“Now that is the look that softens every bone in my body, except one.” -Mortdecai

User avatar
nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 4483
Joined: Dec 02, '15, 1:36pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA / Erie, PA
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG
Contact: Website Facebook Google+ Twitter

Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 18, '16, 8:47am

MeatCake wrote:Only poke balls. If you don't have them, you can't capture any pokémon. The higher-grade balls never get used

Man, this part seems annoying to me, although it makes sense given the device's simplistic nature. I would much rather use the higher-grades of Poke balls when trying to catch the tougher Pokemon. Oh well.

User avatar
MeatCake
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 717
Joined: May 05, '16, 11:51am

Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 18, '16, 10:23am

nicktorious_BIG wrote:
MeatCake wrote:Only poke balls. If you don't have them, you can't capture any pokémon. The higher-grade balls never get used

Man, this part seems annoying to me, although it makes sense given the device's simplistic nature. I would much rather use the higher-grades of Poke balls when trying to catch the tougher Pokemon. Oh well.


Well, when I talk about being more Spock than Kirk, what I think is that I have to let go of my preconceptions about ball quality. It is a game of statistics and it should be able to capture everything. Notice how there's no talk about razz berries... you can sleep your phone, go for a pleasant walk and literally play the game blindly with the clicker and eventually you will win.

“Now that is the look that softens every bone in my body, except one.” -Mortdecai

User avatar
Mavryk
Management
Management
Posts: 5471
Joined: May 16, '15, 10:34pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven
Contact: Twitter

Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 18, '16, 9:52pm

MeatCake wrote:Well, when I talk about being more Spock than Kirk, what I think is that I have to let go of my preconceptions about ball quality. It is a game of statistics and it should be able to capture everything. Notice how there's no talk about razz berries... you can sleep your phone, go for a pleasant walk and literally play the game blindly with the clicker and eventually you will win.


Sounds like its worth getting for those of us in the suburbs that don't get many pokemon spawning. I wasn't planning on getting it, but if it makes as much difference as you suggest, it might just be worth it.
Image
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Wildblood
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2341
Joined: May 23, '15, 3:46am
Location: Europe
PSN: Danaxus82

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 19, '16, 12:47am

How much XP do you get for using the Plus? I typically get 160xp per catch (100 for the pokemon, 50 for a 'great' and 10 for a 'curveball).
Image
Image

User avatar
MeatCake
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 717
Joined: May 05, '16, 11:51am

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 19, '16, 5:09am

Wildblood wrote:How much XP do you get for using the Plus? I typically get 160xp per catch (100 for the pokemon, 50 for a 'great' and 10 for a 'curveball).


Good question! Since the game doesn't display a summary sheet for the captures in Plus mode, I did a screen capture of my trainer before and after successfully capturing a pokémon (an Omanite, fyi). The difference in XP was 100.

Another detail: As you know, the game normally doesn't run in the background. But in Plus mode, the game does run in the background. On the iPhone it works like Google Maps where it has a hook on your location and there's a blue banner at the top of the screen that can bring you back to the game. It seems that I'm getting more mileage with my buddy and incubation. And I'm using less battery.

One more detail: The game is multi-threaded but because you have a single screen interface you cannot do two things at the same time. In Plus mode, while I was watching an evolve animation I simultaneously took a nearby poké stop, with the spoils overlaying the animation.


Beware that it's not a reliable remote control solution. There will be times that the device inexplicably loses contact or sync with the game. I would say that this is infrequent and I wouldn't expect it to happen about once an hour of active use.

“Now that is the look that softens every bone in my body, except one.” -Mortdecai

User avatar
JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 3547
Joined: May 18, '15, 11:24am
Location: Thousand Oaks
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 19, '16, 9:19am

Man...I want to like this game...but it just trys to make you dislike it

Tried playing last night and my catch rate sucked....I mean its like they actively want me not to play anymore...if the Plus device gets better catch rates in later patches...I might get it if its on sale

User avatar
MeatCake
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 717
Joined: May 05, '16, 11:51am

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 24, '16, 7:39am

Choosing a buddy is strategic because you want to earn candy to evolve or power-up a pokémon. Beyond that it could be a matter of taste as some pokémon range from cute to frightening. So, who is your buddy right now?

My buddy is Chameleon (Charmander candy). I need to catch or evolve to Charizard and these are the rarer spottings. I could have selected Charmander but the Chameleon's animations are more entertaining to me.

“Now that is the look that softens every bone in my body, except one.” -Mortdecai

User avatar
prototypetom
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 661
Joined: May 28, '15, 7:44am
Location: Exeter
PSN: prototypetom
Contact: Twitch

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 24, '16, 6:12pm

I chose Growlithe as my buddy. I would have chosen Charmander, but that's two evolutions to get through for me. Also my one and only ever Growlithe has a pretty good at 522cp for evolving into an approx1200 Arcanine, while my one and only ever Charmander is like 12cp or something.

EDIT: And then today I go out and find a Growlithe.

Okay lemme see if this works...


I've only ever found one Snorlax

( I haven't ever found one, but I'm seeing if this is a magic topic where posting that you've only seen one of something makes it appear the next day )
Image Image

User avatar
Mavryk
Management
Management
Posts: 5471
Joined: May 16, '15, 10:34pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven
Contact: Twitter

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Sep 28, '16, 8:51pm

MeatCake wrote:Choosing a buddy is strategic because you want to earn candy to evolve or power-up a pokémon. Beyond that it could be a matter of taste as some pokémon range from cute to frightening. So, who is your buddy right now?

My buddy is Chameleon (Charmander candy). I need to catch or evolve to Charizard and these are the rarer spottings. I could have selected Charmander but the Chameleon's animations are more entertaining to me.


Charmander. He was my starter and I have only caught 1 other one, so candy wise he is lacking. I was going to just do which ever one was closest to having enough candies to evolve, but I think I would rather put all that time into getting a Charizard.
Image
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
MeatCake
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 717
Joined: May 05, '16, 11:51am

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Oct 13, '16, 7:33am

The latest update to Pokemon GO includes notificaiton switches for GO Plus so that you can only be notified about nearby pokemon, nearby pokestops, or both. This should answer my earlier dilemma where pokemon nearby was precluding -- in terms of drive-by seconds -- from hitting the pokestops. Now, if I want to fill up on balls and other resources, then I can turn off the pokemon. Good stuff.

Oh yeah, I can confirm that even with a full backpack the GO Plus hitting pokestops still rewards 50 XP, just the same as playing the game without the device.

“Now that is the look that softens every bone in my body, except one.” -Mortdecai

User avatar
prototypetom
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 661
Joined: May 28, '15, 7:44am
Location: Exeter
PSN: prototypetom
Contact: Twitch

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Oct 13, '16, 5:49pm

not sure about this update at all (for just the phone). All it seems to do is make catching the most common crap you see day in day out easier to catch - stuff that's easy catch already. Seems like a really empty addition.

Oh and really appreciated them reducing the evolve time the day after i use my last lucky egg. grrr. (I'm playing with a strict pay for nothing approach)
Image Image

User avatar
Mavryk
Management
Management
Posts: 5471
Joined: May 16, '15, 10:34pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven
Contact: Twitter

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Oct 14, '16, 3:41am

prototypetom wrote:not sure about this update at all (for just the phone). All it seems to do is make catching the most common crap you see day in day out easier to catch - stuff that's easy catch already. Seems like a really empty addition.

Oh and really appreciated them reducing the evolve time the day after i use my last lucky egg. grrr. (I'm playing with a strict pay for nothing approach)


But its for types, not a specific pokemon. So catching a lot of caterpies will make catching a Scyther easier in the future for example.
Image
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
prototypetom
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 661
Joined: May 28, '15, 7:44am
Location: Exeter
PSN: prototypetom
Contact: Twitch

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Oct 14, '16, 9:12am

Mavryk wrote:
prototypetom wrote:not sure about this update at all (for just the phone). All it seems to do is make catching the most common crap you see day in day out easier to catch - stuff that's easy catch already. Seems like a really empty addition.

Oh and really appreciated them reducing the evolve time the day after i use my last lucky egg. grrr. (I'm playing with a strict pay for nothing approach)


But its for types, not a specific pokemon. So catching a lot of caterpies will make catching a Scyther easier in the future for example.


Sorry yes, I realise that. My frustration comes from the early reports saying "this will make catching rare pokemon easier" and thinking it would tackle the biggest problem with catching rare pokemon - ever seeing one. It's not a bad thing to know that if i come across a wild Snorlax all those f'ing ratatas are going to have meant something. but what i was expecting and hoping for was something that would help me find rare (or local-rare) pokemon in the first place. It's a semantic misinterpretation of the update on my part, but understandable I think.

Given the choice I'd rather rare Pokemon were easier to find and harder to catch. I like rare, I like that I haven't got certain pokemon, I even kinda like I've not ever seen quite a few (it's motivating) - but what i don't like is the sense that I never will (it's de-motivating), and that's what the games giving me atm and what I'd expected this update to improve just a little bit. I haven't had a 10k egg since mid-august either!
Image Image

User avatar
Mavryk
Management
Management
Posts: 5471
Joined: May 16, '15, 10:34pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven
Contact: Twitter

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Oct 15, '16, 12:01am

prototypetom wrote:Sorry yes, I realise that. My frustration comes from the early reports saying "this will make catching rare pokemon easier" and thinking it would tackle the biggest problem with catching rare pokemon - ever seeing one. It's not a bad thing to know that if i come across a wild Snorlax all those f'ing ratatas are going to have meant something. but what i was expecting and hoping for was something that would help me find rare (or local-rare) pokemon in the first place. It's a semantic misinterpretation of the update on my part, but understandable I think.

Given the choice I'd rather rare Pokemon were easier to find and harder to catch. I like rare, I like that I haven't got certain pokemon, I even kinda like I've not ever seen quite a few (it's motivating) - but what i don't like is the sense that I never will (it's de-motivating), and that's what the games giving me atm and what I'd expected this update to improve just a little bit. I haven't had a 10k egg since mid-august either!


Yeah I hear you, I still haven't seen a snorlax lol But this seemed like a quick and easy solution for when you do eventually find them.
Image
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
MeatCake
Shadow Boxer
Posts: 717
Joined: May 05, '16, 11:51am

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Oct 15, '16, 3:03am

Mavryk wrote:I still haven't seen a snorlax lol


Keep incubating eggs and walking. There are two of us who didn't get a Snorlax until it was hatched from a 10km egg somewhere in the 200-300km jogger range.

“Now that is the look that softens every bone in my body, except one.” -Mortdecai

User avatar
Mavryk
Management
Management
Posts: 5471
Joined: May 16, '15, 10:34pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven
Contact: Twitter

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Oct 15, '16, 3:07am

MeatCake wrote:
Keep incubating eggs and walking. There are two of us who didn't get a Snorlax until it was hatched from a 10km egg somewhere in the 200-300km jogger range.


Oh interesting, thanks for the tip. I'm currently at 164km.
Image
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Nintendo”