MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Re: Pokémon Go | Discussion

Apr 03, '17, 4:20pm

At this time of year it is obvious that the Pokemon GO game on my iPhone 7 uses power at a ridiculous rate. Now on my second overseas trip with the game, I've had to make the decision to just stop playing the game. There aren't enough downtime moments to pull out the external charger. Compared to watching a movie, listening to music, checking websites, playing other games, or even location logging for my digital camera, nothing on my phone consumes power faster than Pokemon GO. And bear in mind that I'm still using the Plus fob, so Pokemon GO running in the background, not having to update its screen, is still a monster.

“Now that is the look that softens every bone in my body, except one.” -Mortdecai

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Sep 26, '17, 4:32am

I got one of those Apple Watch Series 3 smartwatches, and I still play Pokemon GO, so I wanted to see what the Pokemon GO watch app would do for the game. This watch app for Pokemon GO should be similar in function to the Pokemon GO Plus clicker. Since I'm on iOS my observations may be specific to how it runs in that environment.

What it does well:
  • Indeed, the visual display does show you current stats, like buddy status and how far you have gone to incubate an egg. The nearby Pokemon is limited to about 3
  • Easy to toggle whether you want to find pokemon, pokestops, or both; In the Pokemon GO Plus, since it has no interactive display you would have to find these toggles in a menu in the iPhone game app
  • Easy to turn on and off. Like the Pokemon GO Plus on iOS, activating the remote control puts the iPhone game app into background navigation mode. Even with background refresh settings turned off on the iPhone, pokemon GO has a kind of integration with the systtem that is like Apple Maps or Google Maps that allows it to stay alive even with the iPhone locked and asleep

What it does poorly:
  • The core function of catching pokemon and spinning pokestops doesn't seem to work. At least not when compared to the Pokemon GO Plus
  • Cannot catch pokemon nor spin pokestops while in vehicles. This is not a Do not disturb while driving problem. Rather, it seems that the watch app is more adherent to walking speed. So, as a strategic tool to help with efficient collection, this is not the way to go
  • Does this really help make the game "Hands free", when you have to look at a miniaturized display and decide on what to click? You cannot click one-handed with a watch that is being worn below the wrist, so it's always a two-handed interaction. Imagine juggling shopping while also playing...

So ultimately I find the Pokemon GO watch app a novelty and nice to have but not serious about helping your game. The real deal is with the Pokemon GO Plus clicker, which can scoop Pokemon and poke stops faster than they can appear on the game screen. This efficiency allows you to clear out a nest in seconds. And if seconds are all you have, say at a bus stop, then clearly this is the best solution.

“Now that is the look that softens every bone in my body, except one.” -Mortdecai

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Sep 30, '17, 5:50am

MeatCake wrote:So ultimately I find the Pokemon GO watch app a novelty and nice to have but not serious about helping your game. The real deal is with the Pokemon GO Plus clicker, which can scoop Pokemon and poke stops faster than they can appear on the game screen. This efficiency allows you to clear out a nest in seconds. And if seconds are all you have, say at a bus stop, then clearly this is the best solution.

Thanks for the run down! I use the Pokemon Go Plus almost daily as a way to drive and play at the same time, so I didn't see the Watch as a viable replacement anyway. But if you happened to have the watch and not the Plus, it makes sense.

Edit: I'm up to 215 Pokemon caught! I haven't bothered to get any of the Legendaries, mainly because of the need for a group. I rarely see anyone catching them, and when I do, I've always been on the way home from work and just wanted to get home. Maybe in the future they may release them like normal pokemon.
► Show Spoiler

j3tr0
Best Friend

Pokémon Go | Discussion

Oct 11, '17, 8:06am

very excited

Mavryk
Management
Management

Oct 22, '17, 3:12am

The beginnings of Generation 3 have been released as a part of the Halloween event. I've already managed to get 4 of them, I just need to find Sableye
► Show Spoiler

MeatCake
Shadow Boxer

Nov 09, '17, 8:45am

God-effin-dammit, Niantic, fix your effin game already! It’s a known bug that ever since IOS 11 (Sept. 19) the Pokémon GO Plus clicker has a three-second response delay. This completely throws off the rhythm of catching and spinning, rendering it confusing and hardly better than just manually playing. I spent my $40 on his thing, and I expect it to work!

That’s it. I’ve finally reached a breaking point. I can’t give a damn about the new content that is waiting for December. The game for me has been broken for two months and Niantic’s track record on addressing problems means I could be waiting over a year for satisfaction. The only way to get their attention is to stop playing.

Though I am putting my foot down at a point in the game where I have already acquired the legendaries. And if I travel to more regions then I might try to catch a Kangaskhan or Mr. Mime.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Nov 19, '17, 11:54pm

MeatCake wrote:God-effin-dammit, Niantic, fix your effin game already! It’s a known bug that ever since IOS 11 (Sept. 19) the Pokémon GO Plus clicker has a three-second response delay. This completely throws off the rhythm of catching and spinning, rendering it confusing and hardly better than just manually playing. I spent my $40 on his thing, and I expect it to work!

That’s it. I’ve finally reached a breaking point. I can’t give a damn about the new content that is waiting for December. The game for me has been broken for two months and Niantic’s track record on addressing problems means I could be waiting over a year for satisfaction. The only way to get their attention is to stop playing.

Though I am putting my foot down at a point in the game where I have already acquired the legendaries. And if I travel to more regions then I might try to catch a Kangaskhan or Mr. Mime.

I just upgraded my iPhone and now I am having the same issue. Makes the Plus pretty much worthless at the moment NotLikeThis
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Nintendo”