I got one of those Apple Watch Series 3 smartwatches, and I still play Pokemon GO, so I wanted to see what the Pokemon GO watch app
would do for the game. This watch app for Pokemon GO should be similar in function to the Pokemon GO Plus clicker. Since I'm on iOS my observations may be specific to how it runs in that environment.
What it does well:
- Indeed, the visual display does show you current stats, like buddy status and how far you have gone to incubate an egg. The nearby Pokemon is limited to about 3
- Easy to toggle whether you want to find pokemon, pokestops, or both; In the Pokemon GO Plus, since it has no interactive display you would have to find these toggles in a menu in the iPhone game app
- Easy to turn on and off. Like the Pokemon GO Plus on iOS, activating the remote control puts the iPhone game app into background navigation mode. Even with background refresh settings turned off on the iPhone, pokemon GO has a kind of integration with the systtem that is like Apple Maps or Google Maps that allows it to stay alive even with the iPhone locked and asleep
What it does poorly:
- The core function of catching pokemon and spinning pokestops doesn't seem to work. At least not when compared to the Pokemon GO Plus
- Cannot catch pokemon nor spin pokestops while in vehicles. This is not a Do not disturb while driving problem. Rather, it seems that the watch app is more adherent to walking speed. So, as a strategic tool to help with efficient collection, this is not the way to go
- Does this really help make the game "Hands free", when you have to look at a miniaturized display and decide on what to click? You cannot click one-handed with a watch that is being worn below the wrist, so it's always a two-handed interaction. Imagine juggling shopping while also playing...
So ultimately I find the Pokemon GO watch app
a novelty and nice to have but not serious about helping your game. The real deal is with the Pokemon GO Plus
clicker, which can scoop Pokemon and poke stops faster than they can appear on the game screen. This efficiency allows you to clear out a nest in seconds. And if seconds are all you have, say at a bus stop, then clearly this is the best solution.