Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Re: What are you playing on PC at the moment?

May 04, '17, 6:08am

Frostilyte wrote:You see more of that collection aspect in the older 3D Mario games with 100 coin stars, collect the 8 red coin stars and blue coins (specifically in sunshine) being utilized as a method for distributing a good number of the in game stars. That kind of design was dropped with Galaxy where the levels shifted from self contained sandboxes with a variety of hidden goodies to a more linear sequence of platforming based challenges en route to a star.

I've only played a little of Mario 64 because I never owned a N64 (my parents bought me a PS1 instead) and didn't touch a Gamecube so I missed out on a lot of the 3D mario games. But from what I've played of 64, yeah I can see the similarities. Though one thing that's different between it an YL is that in YL you have to unlock the expanded versions of levels to get to the boss, and despite opening the final map (I think?) I only just found the Level 1 boss. M64 also had the bonus of the Hub world being relatively straight forward, you can see all the doors when you enter the castle so you know how many stars you need to get into the next one. In YL the HUB world is essentially a collectible world itself and you have to go hunting for the next world to unlock. It's not like it's difficult to work out, I just would have liked the game to tell me that what my objective needs to be before moving on and then its my choice whether to stay longer to collect extras.

I'm actually kind of surprised you backed YL given you aren't a BK veteran. What was the reason behind that?

I was a fan of Spyro, Jak, Croc, Ratchet, Crash etc back in the day, so when I saw that it was a retro platformer with cute mascots and a Dev team that knows what it's doing, I backed it. I will admit that it was only the lowest level to get the game itself, so it was basically a cheap preorder lol
► Show Spoiler

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Steam: Frostilyte

May 04, '17, 6:27am

Mavryk wrote:I've only played a little of Mario 64 because I never owned a N64 (my parents bought me a PS1 instead) and didn't touch a Gamecube so I missed out on a lot of the 3D mario games. But from what I've played of 64, yeah I can see the similarities. Though one thing that's different between it an YL is that in YL you have to unlock the expanded versions of levels to get to the boss, and despite opening the final map (I think?) I only just found the Level 1 boss. M64 also had the bonus of the Hub world being relatively straight forward, you can see all the doors when you enter the castle so you know how many stars you need to get into the next one. In YL the HUB world is essentially a collectible world itself and you have to go hunting for the next world to unlock. It's not like it's difficult to work out, I just would have liked the game to tell me that what my objective needs to be before moving on and then its my choice whether to stay longer to collect extras.

Aye. That's the big difference in terms of design between something like Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. YookaLaylee definitely draws heavily from the design of BK, or at least it appears to based on what you've indicated.

Mavryk wrote:I was a fan of Spyro, Jak, Croc, Ratchet, Crash etc back in the day, so when I saw that it was a retro platformer with cute mascots and a Dev team that knows what it's doing, I backed it. I will admit that it was only the lowest level to get the game itself, so it was basically a cheap preorder lol

Fair enough. That tier was only $20 USD, right?
Frost-Tea-Light
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Mavryk
Management
Management

May 04, '17, 6:41am

Frostilyte wrote:Aye. That's the big difference in terms of design between something like Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. YookaLaylee definitely draws heavily from the design of BK, or at least it appears to based on what you've indicated.

People are calling it the spiritual successor to BK so I presume it's the same type of game. Which now playing YL, I'm not very fond of. I don't mind open world games like Zelda or Witcher 3, but even with them you have a fairly good idea of where you should go and it's up to you to find the collectibles. Right now it feels like there is no story to the game. They set up the games conflict, and why these two are on the quest, but after the tutorial it feels like "go collect 100 pages" and that's it. None of the level bosses I've come across have had any relation to the main antagonists, so there is no story investment.

Again, gameplay, music, sound, controls are all pretty good so it's not all bad, it's just that there is no connection to the world imo.

Mavryk wrote:Fair enough. That tier was only $20 USD, right?

Something like that, or 20pounds since it was a UK Kickstarter if I remember correctly.
► Show Spoiler

nickhead
Producer
XBL: NlCKHEAD
Steam: nickhead

May 07, '17, 7:05am

BuffArms wrote:Player Unknown's Battlegrounds. Its in Steam Early Access. A battle royale game. Which means you and 90+ other people jump out of this plane flying over Eastern Europe, you hit the ground and then from there its last man standing. You do not get any weapons to start, so the beginning of the game is one giant looting phase, with people trying to find weapons and kill you, or you trying to land where you are alone.

Then this electric circle shows up and pushes everyone alive closer and closer and closer together, until one remains. Or 1 team. The game does singles, duos, and 4 man squads. Duos are so far the most fun, as you have someone to watch your back.

Really enjoying it so far. Not without some massive bugs, but for a $30 Beta product its fairly sound. Its a very tactical game. You are having plan where you go to, how you approach it, and even when you get into fights. Picking a fight at the wrong time can cost you just as much as not fighting could.

If KF wasn't all console peasants would make for a badass lets play.

Just picked this up this past week. I'm having a blast with it though my games fall into two outcomes (typically): I either last to sub-20's without seeing a single person or I die within the first few minutes.

I've even been trying to purposefully run around and find people to kill since that increases your reward, even if you die early, but it's so easy/common to just never encounter anyone.

My friends and I have a podcast!
SoundCloud
iTunes

BuffArms
Baller

May 07, '17, 10:05am

nickhead wrote:
Just picked this up this past week. I'm having a blast with it though my games fall into two outcomes (typically): I either last to sub-20's without seeing a single person or I die within the first few minutes.

I've even been trying to purposefully run around and find people to kill since that increases your reward, even if you die early, but it's so easy/common to just never encounter anyone.

Really, I have had no trouble finding a total clusterfuck landing in the middle of a dozen people if I want. Usually at the Military Base, or the crater with the bunkers, or one of the bigger towns like Novo by the military base.

Though even when I don't end up fighting people I am rather enjoying it because I have never felt such tension from a game before. I am constantly on edge. I wont even listen to music because I am trying to not miss footsteps. Its probably the best horror game you can buy. Nothing has given me quite the scare as this game when I am working my way across a field and I hear this crack near me, and its like OH SHIT where did that come from.

The_Redback
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

May 07, '17, 3:43pm

BuffArms wrote:
nickhead wrote:

Really, I have had no trouble finding a total clusterfuck landing in the middle of a dozen people if I want. Usually at the Military Base, or the crater with the bunkers, or one of the bigger towns like Novo by the military base.

Though even when I don't end up fighting people I am rather enjoying it because I have never felt such tension from a game before. I am constantly on edge. I wont even listen to music because I am trying to not miss footsteps. Its probably the best horror game you can buy. Nothing has given me quite the scare as this game when I am working my way across a field and I hear this crack near me, and its like OH SHIT where did that come from.

Oh god, I am having 'nam style flashbacks of early RUST just reading that. Seriously though, that sounds kind of cool.

As for me, I have been playing bit of a fun new puzzle game called 'Train Valley'. I was going to say simple and well, the design is simple but the difficulty ramps up pretty quick.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
Twitter: @The_Redback
Twitch: The_Redback

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

May 08, '17, 5:22am

Vermintide. Playing the dlc from December and the one that was released last week. Both are fairly enjoyable, but I'm rusty as hell. Still, a buddy of mine and me almost carried 2 people through a nightmare run...and I quite literally mean that given they were dead for the majority of the game. Almost because we got fucked over at the end. So close.
Frost-Tea-Light

nickhead
Producer
XBL: NlCKHEAD
Steam: nickhead

May 08, '17, 5:38pm

BuffArms wrote:
nickhead wrote:

Yeah I probably should just start jumping out right when everyone else does towards the beginning. But yeah I agree, the tension is still there even if I haven't seen anyone because they could be ANYWHERE. I made it to #2 the other day.

We knew exactly where eachother was hiding, had a firefight and I lost :( It was so thrilling though.

My friends and I have a podcast!
SoundCloud
iTunes

BuffArms
Baller

May 08, '17, 7:05pm

Yeah some of the best moments are like that. My first win I was solo, and I ended up in this final circle right outside the town and I had been playing on the outside edge, but then had pushed up to this RV in the middle of the street, and the last other guy was on the other side, and so we sort just kept edging around until I finally realized I could just go prone and shoot out his feet, as he came around, and I got it. That was my desktop for like 2 weeks lol.

When you manage to not get shotgunned 10s into the game, or shot by some guy just randomly camping a bathroom, its pretty great

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

May 11, '17, 10:13am

Vermintide. Not much has changed, but I am getting back in the swing of things.
I guess one major change is somewhere between the last time I played and now someone developed a quality of life mod that helps improve the game's UI with a few added features (such as other player's ammo count) and made the bots a little easier to control. Being able to ping for them to pick up an item and actually having them pick it up is so much nicer than sitting staring at the item for 5-10 minutes repeatedly pinging it until one of the dumbasses picks it up. I know the game is primarily a multiplayer game, but sometimes I can't be fucking bothered to play with some of the randoms given the default bots actually play better. This QoL mod has really helped to smooth out some of the minor frustrations I've had with the game and is making what I already found to be enjoyable even more so.
Frost-Tea-Light

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

What are you playing on PC at the moment?

May 12, '17, 2:13pm

Booted up Oxenfree today. So far I am liking it. It's got a unique style to it and the visuals are really well done. The dialog can get a bit hectic at times with characters talking over each other, but I have been impressed with the voice acting. I'm going into this game completely blind so I have no clue where the story is going so this should be a good time!

DamianNM
Baller
PSN: Spyack44
Steam: Damiannmaher

May 13, '17, 3:56pm

Finally got around to updating Battlegrounds earlier this week (prior to the optimization improvements it was really difficult to play on my poor laptop). And while it could still run a lot better for me (joys of PC gaming, I suppose) it's much better.

PUBG is really fun! I kinda suck at it so I just spend the first 5-10 minutes running around finding equipment and trying to avoid people. I'm getting better at shooting (getting past a combination of inconsistent frame rate and not being used to a mouse in online PVP) which is helping to make the game even more fun. Like I said, I still suck, but I don't really care too much because it's so much fun and addictive.
Student editor: https://www.youtube.com/damiannmaher
► Show Spoiler

Mavryk
Management
Management

May 15, '17, 5:45am

I gave up on YookaLaylee. The final boss is frustrating, it's too long and you don't get any extra health pick ups to help out. I'm sure I can eventually beat it, but I'm not having any fun doing it.
► Show Spoiler

The_Redback

May 15, '17, 3:09pm

Mavryk wrote:I gave up on YookaLaylee. The final boss is frustrating, it's too long and you don't get any extra health pick ups to help out. I'm sure I can eventually beat it, but I'm not having any fun doing it.

Thats disappointing to hear.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
Twitter: @The_Redback
Twitch: The_Redback

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

May 17, '17, 6:10am

Still Vermintide.

Sadly the QoL mod made the bots a lot better than most human beings who play the game, so I've been playing solo and having a much better time than I was having running with mangos. During the hordes the bots actually group up and as a result the horde is handled handily as opposed to having a group of 4 people spread out because the concept of grouping up is foreign to so very many people. Ah well...I'm having fun and that's all that should matter.

Oh I also almost finished a cataclysm difficulty run with bots. I was so close. My skill is improving.
Frost-Tea-Light

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

May 23, '17, 5:32am

Ziggurat and Windward.

The former is fairly fun, but I wish more variety was available in it right off the bat. The in game collection has what has to be between 150-200 various level up perks, active abilities and weapons to add into any given run, but you start off with maybe around 25. Unlocking one or two a run makes for a very stale runs early on as you constantly see the same perks and weapons, which greatly decreases the variety on offer. Despite this, the game is still fun to play, but I don't see myself burying too many hours into it due to it likely suffering the same repetition problem that many other procedural generated games do.

Windward is an ARPG where you sail a ship. The combat is simplistic and so is the premise. I have no idea why playing it is so fun, but I'm having a lot of fun quietly sailing between towns, trading good, completing quests, blowing up pirates and colonizing new regions. As I said...not a lot going on, but I'm finding it fairly enjoyable to sail around in it.
Frost-Tea-Light

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

May 24, '17, 8:10am

Owlboy. Its a fun little game. I just got out of the first area. plan to play more over the next couple days and beat it. Totally worth the $13 humble bundle price, imo.

HeadsintheLethe
Portillo's Mouth Noises

May 24, '17, 1:30pm

Right now I've just been playing Minecraft and Skyrim. They're addicting enough without getting hooked into something else.

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

May 29, '17, 6:09am

Finished up my single player campaign in Windward. I still don't think the game was great, but I had fun zoning out and doing quests in it as a slowly spread my faction's reach throughout the map. Taking out the highest leveled zone in the map was a huge pain in the ass though. The AI teammates that are spawned in for you do not do nearly enough work to make capturing the zone anything other than an exercise in frustration. I suppose that's why the difficulty for the zone was "team coordination recommended" instead of veteran like the previous few zones.

Think I finally figured out what my completion state for Ziggurat will be. Going to try to finish the game with each of the different character types. That will require me to unlock the remaining half of the characters that I don't presently have though. I think I've only need to do a few more runs to unlock the bulk of the remaining classes and given I've only finished the game with 2 of the classes I have more than enough opportunity to accomplish this.

Also started Steamworld Heist - the reason I bought the above games from humble bundle. Only about 2 hours in and it is quite good. The game plays like a turn based strategy game. The hook is that most of your aiming is done manually and bullets ricochet, so you are learning to line up trick shots to hit enemies past cover. Add in a very vibrant aesthetic and you have one hell of a game. Looking forward to putting more time into it over the week. Oh also, it has hats!
Frost-Tea-Light

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

May 29, '17, 6:47am

currently at the second boss of owlboy. probably wouldve beat the boss the first time if i was better at using a keyboard and mouse.

Also playing STeamworld Heist and Valkyrie Chronicles. I'm enjoying both of those even though i've only done the first mission for both. I wanted to finish up some reading so i didnt play much this weekend. Looking forward to playing a bunch today hopefully beating the second and third bosses in Owlboy.

Return to “PC Gaming”