Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

A Hat In Time

Jul 19, '15, 2:56pm

Anyone else excited for this game? I have been since it was launched on Kickstarter a few years ago. It's going to be a lot like the classic N64 collect-a-thons games. Similar to Yooka Laylee, but this was in development way before that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uG6ntdrDL8

Xyger1337
Seducer
XBL: Xyger1337
PSN: Xyger1337
NNID: Xyger1337
Steam: Xyger1337
Tags: Xyger1337

Re: A Hat In Time

Jul 19, '15, 4:43pm

I've been excited for this game since I first heard of it like a year or two ago. I want this game sooooo bad <3 <3 <3
Xbox Live: Xyger1337 -- PSN: Xyger1337 -- Nintendo Network ID: Xyger1337 -- Steam ID: Xyger1337 -- Patreon: Xyger1337 -- Twitter: Xyger1337 -- YouTube: Xyger1337 -- DeviantArt: Xyger1337 -- Twitch: Xyger1337 -- Other: Xyger1337

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums
Steam: Frostilyte

Jul 19, '15, 6:49pm

Frostilyte wrote:No particular order

0. A Hat in Time
1. Heart Forth Alicia
2. Ghost Song: A Journey of Hope
3. Shantae: Half Genie Hero
4. Echoes of Eternea
5. Hyper Light Drifter
6. Yooka Laylee
7. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
8. Dragon Fin Soup
9. Fire Emblem: Fates

Not sure when I'll see any of them, but I will eventually and it'll be awesome.

sauce

But on a more serious note, yes I am quite excited for it. I follow the facebook page for the game as Gears for Breakfast regularly posts screenshots and updates there. It still seems like it's a ways off, but eventually I will be able to play as HatKid and it will be good.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

A Hat In Time

Jun 10, '17, 2:56pm

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Jun 11, '17, 3:54am

I hadn't heard of this game before. Looks like a ton of fun.
Steam: The_Redback
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums

Jun 11, '17, 11:39am

Uh...what's this doing over here? It has only been announced for Win and Mac so far.

Just gunna go ahead and move this...for now.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jun 12, '17, 9:42pm

That looks interesting. I think i'm collect-a-phoned out with Yooka, but I'll keep an eye out for it in the future.
► Show Spoiler

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

A Hat In Time

Oct 27, '17, 7:22am

Who else isn't surprised that this independent project was scooped up by a publisher? And a publisher owned by IGN no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJDuCvsGik

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums

A Hat In Time

Oct 27, '17, 7:28am

Edit:
Am actually playing this now. I rather like what I've played so far.

Raging Light wrote:Who else isn't surprised that this independent project was scooped up by a publisher?

I'm not. Happens more often than people bring it to light. I've seen it often enough with smaller games I've bought on Steam.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums

Nov 01, '17, 6:15am

Almost have half the time pieces and actually have a few thoughts beyond initial impressions.

First up - the bad:

Fuck the default camera in aHiT. It follows you quite well when you're in a section where the camera would need to swing around to the other side of an object, but the rest of the time I ended up fighting with it and having a problem with motion sickness because of how often it'd fly around. Thankfully, the robust options menu in the game does allow for disabling the default camera, giving the player full control (in most levels) of the camera. It's not something that is the end of the world thanks to having the option to disable it. SeemsGood

The use of one of the depth of field in the game is super jankball. It somewhat undermines having the draw distance set to max so you can see the whole level from a high vantage point when the depth of field is only set for you to see a relatively small ring around your character. I found this super irritating for the first few hours of the game and eventually just turned it off, so I could actually see shit in the distance. Like the camera issue, thankfully there was a way to disable the option, so it isn't a huge deal.

Next - the good:

Variety. I won't say there is a lot, but for a smaller game there is enough. A Hat in Time tries to have some variety to the missions you're doing. Some missions are based around explorations, other stealth, others platforming, and some even horror. The variety goes a long way to making repeated treks through the same areas not feel stale.

A Hat in Time also has that same goofy feel of older Rare games. The various characters are all very silly and animated in the way they talk and do things, but that suits the game. it doesn't take itself so seriously. I guess that is what they were going for, so I'd say Gears for Breakfast hit the nail on the head in that regard.

That all said, I'm enjoying this a fair bit. There is only one mission so far that I haven't really enjoyed and that comes down partly to my own incompetence. It's not a very challenging game, but it is fun...or at least I'm having a lot of fun playing it.

Oh also it has skins for your hats and colour variants for Hat Kid and they aren't paid DLC. Just an additional way the game mimics older games. SeemsGood
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Nov 01, '17, 6:21am

Frostilyte wrote:Hat Kid

Is that really her name? XD

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums

Nov 01, '17, 6:47am

Raging Light wrote:
Frostilyte wrote:Hat Kid

Is that really her name? XD

Yes. Says so in the "ABOUT" section of the Steam page.
The game hasn't ever explicitly stated it though. Most of the people refer to her as "the kid with the hat" though.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums

Nov 06, '17, 5:32pm

Posted a few review on my blog if you want to see full thoughts post game. Link can be found in siggy, or here

If you don't want to do that much reading, or can't be fucking bothered I don't blame you. The TL;DR is that overall I liked the game because it reminded me of games like Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie, while also fixing a few of the issues that eventually kinda killed off 3D platformers. It's no where near as expansive as either, but I had fun with it and could see myself playing through it again in future (that's always a plus).

I suppose one thing of note, if you aren't interested in playing it on PC there is suppose to be a console release eventually. Apparently Jonas (or however the main dev's name is spelled) is having some trouble getting it certified and/or running on one of the two boxes. He wouldn't say which one though...probably to prevent his twitter from becoming a pissing contest.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

A Hat In Time

Dec 05, '17, 10:33am

About time to move this to multiplatform?

https://youtu.be/YXYpSXI0P0I

channelocho
Producer
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Dec 05, '17, 1:17pm

It has to be said again that this looks like the type of game that would work so well on switch. Looks like the exact game I would take with me and play in handheld mode.

Return to “PC Gaming”