Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Steam: Frostilyte

Re: I Want a Gaming PC | Guide (v1.4.3)

Aug 02, '16, 6:02pm

Chaz wrote:just looking at everything it doesnt make sense why building it would cost you more than the pre-built one which is 1k but maybe Frosti, Mavryk or OneShot will be of more help. I've been researching pc stuff since I'm starting to transition into doing more pc with my ps4 and nx being my exclusives machines but I'm still nowhere near as knowledgable as those 3. they helped me in icking everything to build a PC

Probably because the 970 hasn't dropped in price if you are buying it alone even though the card's MSRP should have gone down the shitter with the newer 10x0 models being available.

Also, I have everything I'm the OP of subbed or bookmarked so I get notifications whenever people post in them. :P

@Weidleface - I think the premade from bestbuy looks like an excellent pick if you lack confidence in making a machine. Seems like the previous generation of cards hasn't really dropped in value, which I find odd. Only thing I can't comment on is how well it'll last over time. Couldn't find the wattage or rating of the PSU on the page. Not sure if I'm blind or it actually isn't there.
Frost-Tea-Light
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Weidleface
Producer
PSN: Weidleface
NNID: Weidleface
Steam: Weidleface

Aug 02, '16, 6:19pm

Frostilyte wrote:
Chaz wrote:just looking at everything it doesnt make sense why building it would cost you more than the pre-built one which is 1k but maybe Frosti, Mavryk or OneShot will be of more help. I've been researching pc stuff since I'm starting to transition into doing more pc with my ps4 and nx being my exclusives machines but I'm still nowhere near as knowledgable as those 3. they helped me in icking everything to build a PC

Probably because the 970 hasn't dropped in price if you are buying it alone even though the card's MSRP should have gone down the shitter with the newer 10x0 models being available.

Also, I have everything I'm the OP of subbed or bookmarked so I get notifications whenever people post in them. :P

@Weidleface - I think the premade from bestbuy looks like an excellent pick if you lack confidence in making a machine. Seems like the previous generation of cards hasn't really dropped in value, which I find odd. Only thing I can't comment on is how well it'll last over time. Couldn't find the wattage or rating of the PSU on the page. Not sure if I'm blind or it actually isn't there.

I couldn't find it either. That and the processor were the only things that really worried me at first glance.

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

Aug 02, '16, 6:49pm

Frostilyte wrote:

Well I guess you got an extra notification since your assistance was greatly needed :p

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Aug 02, '16, 8:46pm

I'm not sure how good the protection is, but it is generally a must when buying a pre-built PC. PC's are bound to break, just like all technology but because you get components from multiple sources there isn't a guarantee they will play well. So if you can, definitely pick up the protection for 3 years.
► Show Spoiler

Weidleface
Producer

Aug 26, '16, 6:51am

So I've decided that I'm just going to suck it up and build my own rig. I think I've got everything figured out, but I'm open to suggestions. In particular, what do y'all think of the graphics card. The price seems too good to be true (cheaper than most GTX 970s), so I'm sure there's something I'm overlooking.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dFmrD8

I just got the case and motherboard in the mail yesterday. I'll probably be buying it piecemeal to make the expense a tad easier.

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

Aug 26, '16, 7:30am

Weidleface wrote:So I've decided that I'm just going to suck it up and build my own rig. I think I've got everything figured out, but I'm open to suggestions. In particular, what do y'all think of the graphics card. The price seems too good to be true (cheaper than most GTX 970s), so I'm sure there's something I'm overlooking.

I just got the case and motherboard in the mail yesterday. I'll probably be buying it piecemeal to make the expense a tad easier.

The 1060 should be cheaper than the 970 but I'm shocked you found one so cheap. The one I was looking at was 350-400

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Aug 26, '16, 7:54am

Quick once over and nothing immediately jumped out at me. Should be good. If you have any questions about actually putting everything together you know where to check (or just google the answer lol).

Chaz wrote:The 1060 should be cheaper than the 970 but I'm shocked you found one so cheap. The one I was looking at was 350-400

The 970 should be cheaper than the 1060. From what I've read the 1060 is equal or better in every respect as far as performance goes and it has more VRAM.
Frost-Tea-Light

Topher
Best Friend
Position/Title: Developer at PSU.COM

Aug 27, '16, 5:14am

Weidleface wrote:So I've decided that I'm just going to suck it up and build my own rig. I think I've got everything figured out, but I'm open to suggestions. In particular, what do y'all think of the graphics card. The price seems too good to be true (cheaper than most GTX 970s), so I'm sure there's something I'm overlooking.

I'd suggest putting a little more money into that SSD and double its size. I have the same setup with the SSD and 1TB drive and I find I'm still struggling to keep enough free space on my OS drive. Stuff just finds its way there!

But overall, I think you will be fairly happy with your rig when you are done. Nice job!

Weidleface
Producer

Oct 11, '16, 7:47am

So I updated my build a bit and I think I'm going to pull the trigger today on buying the remaining parts I need.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/4CXYXH

I'm also adding in an Elgato HD60 Pro capture card because I plan on getting back into streaming a bit. Here's hoping everything goes well!

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Nov 10, '16, 5:27am

Weidleface wrote:So I updated my build a bit and I think I'm going to pull the trigger today on buying the remaining parts I need.

I'm also adding in an Elgato HD60 Pro capture card because I plan on getting back into streaming a bit. Here's hoping everything goes well!

Almost a month late, but looks good.
Have you built it yet and how'd it go?
Frost-Tea-Light

Weidleface
Producer

Nov 10, '16, 9:14am

Frostilyte wrote:
Weidleface wrote:So I updated my build a bit and I think I'm going to pull the trigger today on buying the remaining parts I need.

Almost a month late, but looks good.
Have you built it yet and how'd it go?

I got it up and running, and it's working wonderfully. it got through a 24hr Extra Life stream without issue, and runs HotS like a champ. Those are the most stressful things I've done on it so far. :kinda

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Nov 10, '16, 10:18am

Weidleface wrote:I got it up and running, and it's working wonderfully. it got through a 24hr Extra Life stream without issue, and runs HotS like a champ. Those are the most stressful things I've done on it so far. :kinda

Pending on the game you were streaming it doesn't sound like you put your rig through much. HotS isn't exactly a difficult game to run at maxed settings.

Glad everything is working well and you are happy with the setup. :kinda
Frost-Tea-Light

Weidleface
Producer

Nov 10, '16, 10:25am

Frostilyte wrote:
Weidleface wrote:I got it up and running, and it's working wonderfully. it got through a 24hr Extra Life stream without issue, and runs HotS like a champ. Those are the most stressful things I've done on it so far. :kinda

Pending on the game you were streaming it doesn't sound like you put your rig through much. HotS isn't exactly a difficult game to run at maxed settings.

Glad everything is working well and you are happy with the setup. :kinda

Yeah, I definitey haven't pushed it yet, but I also don't know that I really plan on doing that . I'll still do a lot of gaming on my PS4, and this is more or less my way of being able to play whatever MS exclusives I'm interested in, as well as the things that pop up on Steam.

I'll eventually dive into Civ 6, so we'll see how that goes.

nicktorious_BIG
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

I Want a Gaming PC | Guide (v1.4.3)

Nov 14, '16, 10:46am

Well, after my laptop crashed for the 3rd time recently, I think it's time to hunker down, shell out some bucks, and actually build myself a PC that will last me a good while. Since I know hardly anything about building PC's and which parts are better than others, I decided to come here to get some help. I'm essentially looking for a nice and powerful PC that isn't *too* expensive. (I'm a broke college kid so I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want to cheap out either) I'm a software engineer so I do a lot of coding and I am also looking to do some gaming as well.

Here's what I have so far via PC Parts Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nicktorio ... ved/vkV7P6

It's a start, but since you guys know a lot more about his stuff than I do, I bet I'm overlooking a bunch of stuff and probably missing some things too. I am also looking for recommendations for monitors. I'm thinking about a dual-monitor setup to increase productivity but I don't know which ones you guys would recommend. Also, what do you recommend for cooling? With the build I have above, do I even need any more cooling?

Thanks all! I've been thinking about this recently because Black Friday and Cyber Monday are right around the corner. Perhaps I could take advantage of some good deals...if there are any. (Does anybody know if there are any deals worth taking advantage of??)

Thanks! :kinda

EDIT: Okay, here's an updated list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nicktorio ... ved/vkV7P6
Still haven't price out external stuff like Monitors, Keyboards, and Mouses though.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Nov 18, '16, 12:11am

nicktorious_BIG wrote:Well, after my laptop crashed for the 3rd time recently, I think it's time to hunker down, shell out some bucks, and actually build myself a PC that will last me a good while. Since I know hardly anything about building PC's and which parts are better than others, I decided to come here to get some help. I'm essentially looking for a nice and powerful PC that isn't *too* expensive. (I'm a broke college kid so I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want to cheap out either) I'm a software engineer so I do a lot of coding and I am also looking to do some gaming as well.

Here's what I have so far via PC Parts Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nicktorio ... ved/vkV7P6

It's a start, but since you guys know a lot more about his stuff than I do, I bet I'm overlooking a bunch of stuff and probably missing some things too. I am also looking for recommendations for monitors. I'm thinking about a dual-monitor setup to increase productivity but I don't know which ones you guys would recommend. Also, what do you recommend for cooling? With the build I have above, do I even need any more cooling?

Thanks all! I've been thinking about this recently because Black Friday and Cyber Monday are right around the corner. Perhaps I could take advantage of some good deals...if there are any. (Does anybody know if there are any deals worth taking advantage of??)

Thanks! :kinda

EDIT: Okay, here's an updated list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nicktorio ... ved/vkV7P6
Still haven't price out external stuff like Monitors, Keyboards, and Mouses though.

First off I would change your Power Supply from a bronze rating to atleast a Gold. Which means it's built with better parts and will give a much smoother output (also won't draw as much from the powerpoint). The other thing I question is if 525gb will be big enough? You may want a second HDD just for storage (unless you have one already).

For cooling I would suggest going Liquid/Water cooling if it gets hot where your PC is. Not only does it keep the PC cooler, it generally uses up less space. You can buy self contained kits so that you don't need to worry about connecting it all up which is what I did.

Personally I like having my Dual 27' monitors and struggle using only a single screen now. I don't know if it particularly matters what brand though, just make sure the response time is a small as possible to get the most out of it while gaming.
► Show Spoiler

nicktorious_BIG

Nov 19, '16, 8:53am

Mavryk wrote:First off I would change your Power Supply from a bronze rating to atleast a Gold. Which means it's built with better parts and will give a much smoother output (also won't draw as much from the powerpoint).

Ah okay, thanks for the heads up!

Mavryk wrote:The other thing I question is if 525gb will be big enough? You may want a second HDD just for storage (unless you have one already).

Yeah I've been toying around with the storage space. I have an external hard drive, but I think your right. I might get a larger SSD, like a TB or something like that.

Mavryk wrote:For cooling I would suggest going Liquid/Water cooling if it gets hot where your PC is. Not only does it keep the PC cooler, it generally uses up less space. You can buy self contained kits so that you don't need to worry about connecting it all up which is what I did.

Personally I like having my Dual 27' monitors and struggle using only a single screen now. I don't know if it particularly matters what brand though, just make sure the response time is a small as possible to get the most out of it while gaming.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Nov 19, '16, 1:12pm

Echoing Mav's statements about the PSU, but I won't endorse water cooling. It is good (from what I've read), but I've never dabbled with it myself, so I wouldn't be able to say one way or another on how easy it is to setup for a first time PC builder. So this isn't really a "don't bother" statement...more of a "this is why I won't say go for it" statement. :P

Already talked in private about the harddrives from the original link, so nothing to say in regard to those.

Only other thing I'd say is to maybe go with an ATX mobo over a micro, but if you are only ever planning to have a single GPU setup then there's no reason to swap it out.

Can't help on the monitor front as I use a TV...for now.
Frost-Tea-Light

Mavryk
Management
Management

Nov 20, '16, 3:34am

This is what I have, which was recommended by a computer shop:

https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-x61

You just apply the heatsink like you normally would, and then replace the case fans with the radiator, plug it in and it works without having to worry about how good you have sealed the water (as we all know water and electronics don't mix).
► Show Spoiler

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Nov 21, '16, 9:48am

Mavryk wrote:This is what I have, which was recommended by a computer shop:

https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-x61

You just apply the heatsink like you normally would, and then replace the case fans with the radiator, plug it in and it works without having to worry about how good you have sealed the water (as we all know water and electronics don't mix).

Neat-o. Thanks for sharing, Mav. Looks pretty simple as far as water cooling solutions go.
What's your average CPU temp when it's under load?
Frost-Tea-Light

nicktorious_BIG

Nov 23, '16, 11:18pm

Well...I built my rig today and from the looks of it everything is working a-ok. Took a lot of patience and there were a lot of frustrating moments (especially with the motherboard) but it all seems to have turned out okay. Already have tried some games on ultra settings and they look gorgeous.

Just want to thank you guys for all the help! Looking forward to being a part of the PC Master Race portilloHotTim