Ribnax
Unsung Hero
XBL: Ribnax
PSN: Celsius4
NNID: Ribnax
Steam: Ribnax

Re: I Want a Gaming PC | Guide (v1.4.2)

Jun 30, '16, 5:38am

Okay, so I finished my PC build and it's great! The only thing I am missing now is a monitor. Does anyone have any standout recommendations on a good monitor for gaming, since I didn't see any of that on the list?
============
Add me with "Kinda Funny" in the message!

Twitter: @Ribnax
XBOX: Ribnax
Nintendo Account: Ribnax

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Steam: Frostilyte

Jun 30, '16, 5:49am

That is not something I can help with as I use a TV for mine. :|
Frost-Tea-Light
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

One-Shot
Management
Management
XBL: OneIShot
PSN: OnelShot
Steam: One-Shot

Jun 30, '16, 6:05am

Ribnax wrote:Okay, so I finished my PC build and it's great! The only thing I am missing now is a monitor. Does anyone have any standout recommendations on a good monitor for gaming, since I didn't see any of that on the list?

Depends what you're looking for. Resolution? Size? G-sync, freesync or none? Price range?
"I don't know what it means to be the water man" - Colin Moriarty

Ribnax
Unsung Hero

Jun 30, '16, 7:48am

Well, I COULD use my TV, because it is a 70 inch 4k TV and everything looks amazing on it, but there isn't really room for my desktop in the main room without making it weird, and my office is on the other side of the house.

I didn't want to spend too much (like the 800 bucks people are telling me for the "best" monitors), but I want to get something that looks great, and performs well for gaming, which is the main thing I'll be using it for.

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. As long as things look rich and crisp and the response time is good, that's really all I care about.

I'm already a bit over budget on the build, but it's not the end of the world if I have to spend over 500$. I make enough money where it's mostly just a perception issue, I have enough to buy whatever I want, I just don't want to get the biggest and best thing and get ripped off. "Newest" usually just means more expensive than it has to be for the feature set.

Also, it seems like 28 inches is the biggest you can get in 16:9. Is that right? Are all 34 inch monitors in that strange super-wide format? It seems like not many things would work with that, given movie format, and that my TV and laptop screen and phone and literally everything else is 16:9. I don't want things to look wonky, if super-wide isn't being actively optimized for.

A lot there, I know, but I thought it's better to have more information than less, so you guys know what I'm thinking! Thanks for the help, by the way. Best Friends for life!
============

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Jun 30, '16, 7:56am

Ribnax wrote:Well, I COULD use my TV, because it is a 70 inch 4k TV and everything looks amazing on it, but there isn't really room for my desktop in the main room without making it weird, and my office is on the other side of the house.

Yeah it's not for everyone haha. I'd always recommend a real monitor over a TV anyway.

Ribnax wrote:I didn't want to spend too much (like the 800 bucks people are telling me for the "best" monitors), but I want to get something that looks great, and performs well for gaming, which is the main thing I'll be using it for.

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. As long as things look rich and crisp and the response time is good, that's really all I care about.

I'm already a bit over budget on the build, but it's not the end of the world if I have to spend over 500$. I make enough money where it's mostly just a perception issue, I have enough to buy whatever I want, I just don't want to get the biggest and best thing and get ripped off. "Newest" usually just means more expensive than it has to be for the feature set.

Also, it seems like 28 inches is the biggest you can get in 16:9. Is that right? Are all 34 inch monitors in that strange super-wide format? It seems like not many things would work with that, given movie format, and that my TV and laptop screen and phone and literally everything else is 16:9. I don't want things to look wonky, if super-wide isn't being actively optimized for.

A lot there, I know, but I thought it's better to have more information than less, so you guys know what I'm thinking! Thanks for the help, by the way. Best Friends for life!

More info is always better than less. I'll see what I can find in and around 300$. I'll be asking my friends as well given they actually use monitors on their machines.

Also yes I believe that is true. 24-27 are often the sizes I see on most of the monitors I've looked at (admittedly it isn't many).

Edit:

Here's a few things I found...What do you think?
Prefacing this with "I use a TV and am not up to date on monitor stuff":

Acer 23 inch
BenQ 27 inch
BenQ 24 inch

Didn't specify if you wanted 1080p, 1440p, or 2160p so I went with 1080. Didn't specify refresh rate so I went with 60Hz. Monitors that support 120Hz and 144Hz cost more. I don't think any of the models feature G-sync (iirc you are on an NVidia card).
Frost-Tea-Light

Ribnax
Unsung Hero

Jun 30, '16, 1:48pm

Frostilyte wrote:
Ribnax wrote:Well, I COULD use my TV, because it is a 70 inch 4k TV and everything looks amazing on it, but there isn't really room for my desktop in the main room without making it weird, and my office is on the other side of the house.

Yeah it's not for everyone haha. I'd always recommend a real monitor over a TV anyway.

Ribnax wrote:I didn't want to spend too much (like the 800 bucks people are telling me for the "best" monitors), but I want to get something that looks great, and performs well for gaming, which is the main thing I'll be using it for.

More info is always better than less. I'll see what I can find in and around 300$. I'll be asking my friends as well given they actually use monitors on their machines.

Also yes I believe that is true. 24-27 are often the sizes I see on most of the monitors I've looked at (admittedly it isn't many).

Edit:

Here's a few things I found...What do you think?
Prefacing this with "I use a TV and am not up to date on monitor stuff":

Acer 23 inch
BenQ 27 inch
BenQ 24 inch

Didn't specify if you wanted 1080p, 1440p, or 2160p so I went with 1080. Didn't specify refresh rate so I went with 60Hz. Monitors that support 120Hz and 144Hz cost more. I don't think any of the models feature G-sync (iirc you are on an NVidia card).

I am running a GTX 1070, so I have heard that G-sync would be the way to go for me, and I am 100% open to that.

As for the resolution issue, on a screen that small, can people tell the difference? I use to have a 40 inch TV that I played Xbox One/PS4 on and I could never tell the difference between versions of games until I upgraded to a 4k 70 inch TV. NOW I can tell a huge difference between them, but am I going to notice the difference between 1080/1440/2160 on a 27 inch screen 2 feet away from my face?

Also, is there a huge difference in the refresh rate? I want it to respond quickly, but I'm not sure about the difference. Is there a TV comparison, or do these things work differently?

My general stance is this: I don't want to spend several hundred dollars for something that makes a 5-10% difference, but if it is a really big difference in performance and quality and it is noticeable, I am 100% fine with spending some extra cash for quality. I would rather spend extra for quality and be able to use this thing for years than have to buy a replacement soon.
============

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Jun 30, '16, 3:01pm

Ribnax wrote:I am running a GTX 1070, so I have heard that G-sync would be the way to go for me, and I am 100% open to that.

As for the resolution issue, on a screen that small, can people tell the difference? I use to have a 40 inch TV that I played Xbox One/PS4 on and I could never tell the difference between versions of games until I upgraded to a 4k 70 inch TV. NOW I can tell a huge difference between them, but am I going to notice the difference between 1080/1440/2160 on a 27 inch screen 2 feet away from my face?

Also, is there a huge difference in the refresh rate? I want it to respond quickly, but I'm not sure about the difference. Is there a TV comparison, or do these things work differently?

My general stance is this: I don't want to spend several hundred dollars for something that makes a 5-10% difference, but if it is a really big difference in performance and quality and it is noticeable, I am 100% fine with spending some extra cash for quality. I would rather spend extra for quality and be able to use this thing for years than have to buy a replacement soon.

G-sync is an adaptive display setting that eliminates stuttering and screen tearing without the input lag that v-sync has. It's suppose to be pretty dope. I haven't tried it as I can't.

Uh...you should be fine, but you may want to go to 1440p if you are sitting that close. I sit about 3-3.5 feet away from my monitor at work. I hadn't realized people sit so close to their computer screens when they use them. :)

Refresh rate determines how many frames you'll actually see. If you have a game running at 100fps, but you are using a 60Hz monitor you will see 60/100 frames. If 60FPS is your target a 60Hz monitor is all you'd need. If you want to go up to 120, or 144 fps then you'd need a higher refresh rate to actually reap the benefits. You should always notice a slight improvement in animation regardless though when you target higher frame rates (i.e. 90 fps should look smoother than 60 even on a 60 Hz monitor).

Does that info help at all?
If you still need more info you're probably better off checking reddit and tomshardware. I don't have much else to provide. I'm a lot more into the GPU and CPU side of stuff and even there I still have a boat load to learn.
Frost-Tea-Light

Devon
\m/
PSN: SolidSnake3035

Jun 30, '16, 8:31pm

Get a nice quality 1440 with G-sync.

Since OLED monitors still aren't really much of a thing yet unfortunately, and since you can't FreeSync.

And yeah Frosti, I'm usually sub-2' from a 27" 1440.
  Justify the Malice I portray

OperativeDarg
Best Friend
PSN: OperativeDarg
Steam: OperativeDarg

I Want a Gaming PC | Guide (v1.4.2)

Jul 01, '16, 1:39am

I am building one currently.

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C
Motherboard: Asus Z170-WS
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive
Power Supply: EVGA 650 W G2 GOLD 80+
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 AERO 8G OC
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H80iGT 120 mm

I'm looking for a monitor can anyone help?

1440p, 27 inch, G-sync. 120 or 144hz?

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jul 01, '16, 1:42am

I have a 27' 4k Samsung, and while its a great monitor, i only use it at 1080p due to most games and parts of Windows not supporting the UHD resolution which can cause some weird issues, especially since I often use Dual Monitors.
► Show Spoiler

One-Shot
Management
Management
XBL: OneIShot
PSN: OnelShot
Steam: One-Shot

Jul 01, '16, 3:57am

If I ever upgrade I would probably go with one in the predator series.
http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/pr ... s/monitors
"I don't know what it means to be the water man" - Colin Moriarty

OperativeDarg
Best Friend
PSN: OperativeDarg
Steam: OperativeDarg

Jul 01, '16, 8:13am

I have been looking at the Predator series and have only heard good things. My budget for a monitor is around £600, so it would be either one predator monitor or 2 monitors of something around £300.

The 27inch Predator on the top right of that link is around £589.

Link : https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-acer ... -speakers-

Do you think it is worth going all out for that or 2 lower spec monitors?

Ribnax
Unsung Hero

Jul 01, '16, 9:15am

Ok. I read some articles, most particularly one on PCGAMER, and I've come to the conclusion that a 1080p resolution is not going to be sufficient. That said, I don't think I need 4k either, so I'm upping this to a 1440 display.

I have been poking around and it seems the ASUS ROG SWIFT is a pretty good one, although a bit more expensive than I wanted, apparently it could even outlast my beastly new rig as a great display.

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-Inch-D ... ift+PG278Q

I have also heard that this ACER is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB270HU-bpr ... -future-20

Given these new parameters, what do you guys think? I have a beastly new PC and it can certainly handle 4K, but if I want to do that, I'll use my TV. I want a large, but standard aspect ratio monitor with 1440p and a fast refresh rate, but I don't really need any extra bells and whistles.

Are these two pretty good, or is there something else in this sort of range that would be preferable for some reason? I am trying to educate myself in these matters, so long explanations are welcome!

I've been a console gamer for WELL over 10 years, so there is a lot to learn, coming back, but it feels so good to be gaming on PC again!

EDIT: Also hearing that the ACER Predator XB1 is a good one as well, but it's a bit more.
============

Chris
Producer
PSN: xX_CBRY89_Xx

Jul 01, '16, 10:11am

I'm running the PG278Q and it's a great monitor! I'm running SLI'd 980Ti's and they pump out some great frame rates on this panel. And it's nice that the price has dropped since I bought it as well, so now you're getting a kickass monitor for a better price. I don't think there's a better 1440p, g-sync monitor on the market to be honest.
Chris Bryan
U.S. Army vet -- OIF/OEF
PSN: xX_CBRY89_Xx
Steam: SnowflakeScout
XBL: SnowflakeScout

#TeamFit

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

Jul 07, '16, 7:11am

So I was going to get an xbox this fall(maybe early 2017) but with forza horizon coming to pc (and i assume i can use either a wheel or my ds4) im thinking about getting a pc instead. I just have a few questions. Is it possible to just run a tower to my tv and control it from 7-8 ft away? And what kind of peices would I need to make a good cheap one(i went on the pick parts thing but pc stuff is confusing haha)

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Jul 07, '16, 7:27am

Chaz2132005 wrote:So I was going to get an xbox this fall(maybe early 2017) but with forza horizon coming to pc (and i assume i can use either a wheel or my ds4) im thinking about getting a pc instead. I just have a few questions. Is it possible to just run a tower to my tv and control it from 7-8 ft away? And what kind of peices would I need to make a good cheap one(i went on the pick parts thing but pc stuff is confusing haha)

I answer the first question with this:
That's a 42" LG TV hooked up via HDMI 2.0. I'm currently using a wireless mouse I've had for years (looking to replace it) and the white cable coming out of the front of my machine is a USB 2.0 extension cable that added an extra 6' onto my keyboard's cable so I could use it from my couch.

Is it possible to use a computer from a couch - absolutely. Is it pretty? No not really.

What is the price range of the machine you are looking to build? Buying an Xbox One will be cheaper, in the short term, than building a PC (though if you get more value out of the PC than that hardly matters).
Frost-Tea-Light

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 07, '16, 7:35am

Frostilyte wrote:That's a 42" LG TV hooked up via HDMI 2.0. I'm currently using a wireless mouse I've had for years (looking to replace it) and the white cable coming out of the front of my machine is a USB 2.0 extension cable that added an extra 6' onto my keyboard's cable so I could use it from my couch.

Is it possible to use a computer from a couch - absolutely. Is it pretty? No not really.

What is the price range of the machine you are looking to build? Buying an Xbox One will be cheaper, in the short term, than building a PC (though if you get more value out of the PC than that hardly matters).

Wells also steam games I would play anc i could play indies sooner than waiting for console versions plus for the most part if i want to play an older game(as long as its not exclusive) I can on pc. Like I said theres only a few games like Forza I would even have an xbox for.

could i use a wireless keyboard and mouse that way the tower just sits on my tv stand/entertainment center? I have a little 3 year old dont need more cords he could trip over haha

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Jul 07, '16, 7:49am

Chaz2132005 wrote:Wells also steam games I would play anc i could play indies sooner than waiting for console versions plus for the most part if i want to play an older game(as long as its not exclusive) I can on pc. Like I said theres only a few games like Forza I would even have an xbox for.

could i use a wireless keyboard and mouse that way the tower just sits on my tv stand/entertainment center? I have a little 3 year old dont need more cords he could trip over haha

Yeah. If you can justify the value of having one then it's the way to go. I just don't want to advise someone to spend upwards of $1000 on a computer for one game.

You could...battery life and the cost of batteries might be a concern.
I've not used a wireless keyboard, but I believe Mavryk has and could comment a lot better than I can.
Mavryk wrote:notification
Frost-Tea-Light

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 07, '16, 7:53am

Frostilyte wrote:Yeah. If you can justify the value of having one then it's the way to go. I just don't want to advise someone to spend upwards of $1000 on a computer for one game.

yeah i wouldnt drop that kind of money for one game. I could get a bunch of uses out of it and i figured its better than buying another laptop since i have to replace that

Frostilyte wrote:You could...battery life and the cost of batteries might be a concern.

i have literally like 12 AA energizer rechargables and 10 AAA recharables with charging docks all over my house haha

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jul 07, '16, 7:57am

Chaz2132005 wrote:Wells also steam games I would play anc i could play indies sooner than waiting for console versions plus for the most part if i want to play an older game(as long as its not exclusive) I can on pc. Like I said theres only a few games like Forza I would even have an xbox for.

Last time I had my PC hooked up to my TV I used bluetooth mouse and keyboard and got fed up with them losing connection or not sync'ing properly. This was a few years ago now (like 5-6 which is a lifetime in computer terms), so the technology may have improved, but be prepared that while it is a perfectly viable option (and better option with little ones around), you *may* experience some performance issues.
► Show Spoiler