Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

I Want a Gaming PC | Guide (v1.4.2)

Jul 07, '16, 8:00am

Mavryk wrote:
Chaz2132005 wrote:Wells also steam games I would play anc i could play indies sooner than waiting for console versions plus for the most part if i want to play an older game(as long as its not exclusive) I can on pc. Like I said theres only a few games like Forza I would even have an xbox for.

could i use a wireless keyboard and mouse that way the tower just sits on my tv stand/entertainment center? I have a little 3 year old dont need more cords he could trip over haha

Last time I had my PC hooked up to my TV I used bluetooth mouse and keyboard and got fed up with them losing connection or not sync'ing properly. This was a few years ago now (like 5-6 which is a lifetime in computer terms), so the technology may have improved, but be prepared that while it is a perfectly viable option (and better option with little ones around), you *may* experience some performance issues.

i will mostly play games that have controller support(TOR is probably the only keyboard mouse game i want to play when internet is better) so perfermance issues with mouse and keyboard wouldnt be an issue. Do you know if DS4 have issues on PC? I prefer it to xbox controllers but if I have to I will buy a xb1 controller

Frostilyte
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: Frostilyte

Jul 07, '16, 8:18am

Chaz2132005 wrote:i will mostly play games that have controller support(TOR is probably the only keyboard mouse game i want to play when internet is better) so perfermance issues with mouse and keyboard wouldnt be an issue. Do you know if DS4 have issues on PC? I prefer it to xbox controllers but if I have to I will buy a xb1 controller

There isn't native support for the dualshock in most games, but there is a program in the OP that was recommended by a Best Friend on here that allows for you to use a dualshock as if it was an xbox controller. A buddy of mine used it a few times and said it worked fine. I haven't used it myself as I prefer mouse and keyboard to a controller for almost everything and use a 360 controller as it runs out of the box on Windows machines.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 07, '16, 8:28am

Frostilyte wrote:
Chaz2132005 wrote:i will mostly play games that have controller support(TOR is probably the only keyboard mouse game i want to play when internet is better) so perfermance issues with mouse and keyboard wouldnt be an issue. Do you know if DS4 have issues on PC? I prefer it to xbox controllers but if I have to I will buy a xb1 controller

There isn't native support for the dualshock in most games, but there is a program in the OP that was recommended by a Best Friend on here that allows for you to use a dualshock as if it was an xbox controller. A buddy of mine used it a few times and said it worked fine. I haven't used it myself as I prefer mouse and keyboard to a controller for almost everything and use a 360 controller as it runs out of the box on Windows machines.

ok thanks for the advice. This is what I put together based on forza 6 recommended specs. if you think i should add or take away anything let me know. I will need to build it bit by bit right now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/xm4Fd6

Frostilyte
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jul 07, '16, 12:37pm

Chaz2132005 wrote:ok thanks for the advice. This is what I put together based on forza 6 recommended specs. if you think i should add or take away anything let me know. I will need to build it bit by bit right now.

A brief once over didn't raise any concerns, though you'll need an ATX form factor motherboard in there.

GPU might also be worth swapping out...I want to check a few benchmark things when I get home from work. Not sure if the new AMD cards would be worth grabbing because i'm not super familiar with the benchmarking for the 390X or the rx 480.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 07, '16, 12:48pm

Frostilyte wrote:
Chaz2132005 wrote:ok thanks for the advice. This is what I put together based on forza 6 recommended specs. if you think i should add or take away anything let me know. I will need to build it bit by bit right now.

A brief once over didn't raise any concerns, though you'll need an ATX form factor motherboard in there.

GPU might also be worth swapping out...I want to check a few benchmark things when I get home from work. Not sure if the new AMD cards would be worth grabbing because i'm not super familiar with the benchmarking for the 390X or the rx 480.

i actually have a new one thats cheaper. I also have a question about win 10. If i have it on my laptop could i put it on my external that way when i get this i dont have buy win 10 64bit?

sorry i have so many questions haha

Frostilyte
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jul 07, '16, 1:01pm

Chaz2132005 wrote:i actually have a new one thats cheaper. I also have a question about win 10. If i have it on my laptop could i put it on my external that way when i get this i dont have buy win 10 64bit?

Is it an ATX form factor board with a LGA1150 CPU slot?

Uh...you know I have no idea as I've never tried that. That might be one worth googling.

No worries. That is kind of the point of this topic/guide. It hadn't really been getting much usage until recently, which I'm rather happy about.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 07, '16, 1:06pm

Frostilyte wrote:
Chaz2132005 wrote:i actually have a new one thats cheaper. I also have a question about win 10. If i have it on my laptop could i put it on my external that way when i get this i dont have buy win 10 64bit?

Is it an ATX form factor board with a LGA1150 CPU slot?

Uh...you know I have no idea as I've never tried that. That might be one worth googling.

No worries. That is kind of the point of this topic/guide. It hadn't really been getting much usage until recently, which I'm rather happy about.

its micro atx motherboard and case. other than what it says i have no idea what you mean by that haha.

also it looks illegal which makes sense so ill just have to buy a windows 10 OS when i finally build the pc

Frostilyte
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jul 07, '16, 1:37pm

Chaz2132005 wrote:its micro atx motherboard and case. other than what it says i have no idea what you mean by that haha.

also it looks illegal which makes sense so ill just have to buy a windows 10 OS when i finally build the pc

Micro ATX and ATX are words used to describe the form factor (size and shape) of a motherboard. A case supporting one or more form factors means you have different options as to what size of motherboard you are putting inside.

The CPU socket (going to start using the proper term now that I've reminded myself what it is) changes from motherboard to motherboard, so you need to know what socket you have as you wont be able to put a CPU that is of a different socket type into it. Think of it like putting a square object into a round hole, or vice versa. The CPU you selected in your build is an i7 4790k which is an LGA1150 CPU, so it can only be placed in a motherboard that has an LGA1150 socket. Putting a CPU into an incorrect socket will damage the socket and CPU so getting this very minor detail correct is incredibly important. For almost everything else this doesn't matter so much, but for the CPU it does.

Well that was easy to find out. You'll find google searching will give you the answers for a lot of the questions you have regarding building a PC. It's always good to get double or triple checked answers by getting information for alternative sources besides just me (and the others here).
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 07, '16, 1:44pm

Frostilyte wrote:
Chaz2132005 wrote:its micro atx motherboard and case. other than what it says i have no idea what you mean by that haha.

Micro ATX and ATX are words used to describe the form factor (size and shape) of a motherboard. A case supporting one or more form factors means you have different options as to what size of motherboard you are putting inside.

The CPU socket (going to start using the proper term now that I've reminded myself what it is) changes from motherboard to motherboard, so you need to know what socket you have as you wont be able to put a CPU that is of a different socket type into it. Think of it like putting a square object into a round hole, or vice versa. The CPU you selected in your build is an i7 4790k which is an LGA1150 CPU, so it can only be placed in a motherboard that has an LGA1150 socket. Putting a CPU into an incorrect socket will damage the socket and CPU so getting this very minor detail correct is incredibly important. For almost everything else this doesn't matter so much, but for the CPU it does.

Well that was easy to find out. You'll find google searching will give you the answers for a lot of the questions you have regarding building a PC. It's always good to get double or triple checked answers by getting information for alternative sources besides just me (and the others here).

My new setup actually has a i5-6500 3.2GHz quad but it has the same socket as the asus motherboard i have selected

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jul 07, '16, 7:58pm

As frosty said an Xbox controller (or something similar like the Razer gamepad) works natively. Just plug and play without any issues which is great. However I did see this morning that Sony may be working on getting the DS4 working on the PC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-06-playstation-4-filing-points-to-dualshock-4-pc-adapter
► Show Spoiler

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 08, '16, 5:09am

Mavryk wrote:

As frosty said an Xbox controller (or something similar like the Razer gamepad) works natively. Just plug and play without any issues which is great. However I did see this morning that Sony may be working on getting the DS4 working on the PC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-06-playstation-4-filing-points-to-dualshock-4-pc-adapter

oh thats cool. If they dont bring it over ill probably just get an elite controller. i used to have one and it was more comfortable than the regular xb1 controller. i just prefer the ds4 because i dont like gigantic controllers

Frostilyte
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jul 08, '16, 5:41am

Chaz2132005 wrote:My new setup actually has a i5-6500 3.2GHz quad but it has the same socket as the asus motherboard i have selected

Took me a bit to figure out what the heck you were talking about. Didn't realize there was 4 boards selected and I had to unhide them haha.

The one's selected will work with an i5-6500. To the best of my knowledge they shouldn't with the i7 4790k, but if you are recycling the motherboard and cpu from your current machine (which is totally viable) then you should be good.
Sorry about my confusion.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 08, '16, 5:50am

Frostilyte wrote:your current machine

dont have one. i havent had a desktop for years

Frostilyte
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jul 08, '16, 5:54am

Chaz2132005 wrote:dont have one. i havent had a desktop for years

Now I'm more confused. What did you mean by "my new setup"? o_o
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 08, '16, 5:58am

Frostilyte wrote:
Chaz2132005 wrote:dont have one. i havent had a desktop for years

Now I'm more confused. What did you mean by "my new setup"? o_o

when i originally asked you about it i had one setup that was like 1200 and then i sent you a new link for a set up that was 900 haha

Frostilyte
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jul 08, '16, 6:03am

Chaz2132005 wrote:when i originally asked you about it i had one setup that was like 1200 and then i sent you a new link for a set up that was 900 haha

LOL. I definitely missed that. Can't seem to find it on the page either.
Are you able to repost the link?
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 08, '16, 6:08am

Frostilyte wrote:
Chaz2132005 wrote:when i originally asked you about it i had one setup that was like 1200 and then i sent you a new link for a set up that was 900 haha

LOL. I definitely missed that. Can't seem to find it on the page either.
Are you able to repost the link?

i can repost the cheaper setup. i deleted the old more expensive setup

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WHMf8K

I was looking at still doing an i7 but its like almost double the cost

Frostilyte
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jul 08, '16, 6:22am

Chaz2132005 wrote:i can repost the cheaper setup. i deleted the old more expensive setup

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WHMf8K

I was looking at still doing an i7 but its like almost double the cost

Thank you.

Yeah that looks fine. Your motherboard doesn't actually support your RAM's maximum speed, but I don't think you'll notice much of a difference there (you would if you go looking for it).

Welcome to the wonderful world of computer parts. :P
An important thing to consider when choosing parts is to ask yourself how much more money you are willing to spend for that extra bit of performance. For most people there is a cut off somewhere. If it makes you feel any better I am running the previous generation of i5 (4690k) in my computer (though I'm overclocking it a bit).

Also I forgot to look at those GPU benchmarks. (R9 390 and RX 480) FailFish
Writing a note to myself so I won't forget again...My thinking is both should work for what you are aiming to do, but the one is a much cheaper alternative than the other.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 08, '16, 6:33am

Frostilyte wrote:Thank you.

Yeah that looks fine. Your motherboard doesn't actually support your RAM's maximum speed, but I don't think you'll notice much of a difference there (you would if you go looking for it).

huh? The maximum speed the motherboard has is 32 and i only have 16gb of ram? am I missing something haha

Frostilyte wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of computer parts. :P
An important thing to consider when choosing parts is to ask yourself how much more money you are willing to spend for that extra bit of performance. For most people there is a cut off somewhere. If it makes you feel any better I am running the previous generation of i5 (4690k) in my computer (though I'm overclocking it a bit).

whats overclocking? Does that make me need a cooing thing? and how much of a difference will i get for the extra 150?

Frostilyte wrote:Also I forgot to look at those GPU benchmarks. (R9 390 and RX 480) FailFish
Writing a note to myself so I won't forget again...My thinking is both should work for what you are aiming to do, but the one is a much cheaper alternative than the other.

i tried looking this up but i dont understand what im reading haha

also theres some new Nvidia card called 1060. Would that be a better option for only $50 more

Frostilyte
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jul 08, '16, 7:04am

Chaz2132005 wrote:huh? The maximum speed the motherboard has is 32 and i only have 16gb of ram? am I missing something haha

The RAM you selected can run up to 2400 MHz (hence the name DDR4-2400). Your board supports DDR4 2133 (so 2133Mhz). As a result your RAM will only run at a maximum of 2133MHz (as that is the max supported value by your mother board), not the 2400 MHz it is advertised with. Does that make sense? This is the kind of info I intentionally left out of the guide in the OP because it's a little confusing and only really matters if you are tweaking for maximum performance out of your hardware.

Chaz2132005 wrote:whats overclocking? Does that make me need a cooing thing? and how much of a difference will i get for the extra 150?

Also a thing I left out of the OP because it is more of a performance thing and not needed to just play games.

Overclocking is when you tell the computer to run hardware at a higher rate of performance than it's default performance. As an example my CPU's default is 3.5GHz, but I have it running at 4.1GHz. Certain hardware isn't designed to be overclocked and when you overclock you run the risk of shortening the hardware's life or breaking it. It's not something I'd recommend if you just want to build a machine to play games on, but it can help you get more out of less.

Chaz2132005 wrote:i tried looking this up but i dont understand what im reading haha

Benchmark(ing) is a test (or set of tests) you run against a piece of hardware to evaluate how effective it is at doing what it's designed to do. For GPU's specifically it can measure how effectively the GPU can process and render images to the screen. Think of it like a test to help you evaluate the potential of a piece of hardware, so you are better able to determine if it meets your needs.

Does any or all of that make sense?
I tried to keep everything as simple as possible so it is clear and easy to understand.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog

Return to “PC Gaming”