Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

I Want a Gaming PC | Guide (v1.4.2)

Jul 08, '16, 7:10am

Frostilyte wrote:
Chaz2132005 wrote:huh? The maximum speed the motherboard has is 32 and i only have 16gb of ram? am I missing something haha

The RAM you selected can run up to 2400 MHz (hence the name DDR4-2400). Your board supports DDR4 2133 (so 2133Mhz). As a result your RAM will only run at a maximum of 2133MHz (as that is the max supported value by your mother board), not the 2400 MHz it is advertised with. Does that make sense? This is the kind of info I intentionally left out of the guide in the OP because it's a little confusing and only really matters if you are tweaking for maximum performance out of your hardware.

Chaz2132005 wrote:whats overclocking? Does that make me need a cooing thing? and how much of a difference will i get for the extra 150?

Also a thing I left out of the OP because it is more of a performance thing and not needed to just play games.

Overclocking is when you tell the computer to run hardware at a higher rate of performance than it's default performance. As an example my CPU's default is 3.5GHz, but I have it running at 4.1GHz. Certain hardware isn't designed to be overclocked and when you overclock you run the risk of shortening the hardware's life or breaking it. It's not something I'd recommend if you just want to build a machine to play games on, but it can help you get more out of less.

Chaz2132005 wrote:i tried looking this up but i dont understand what im reading haha

Benchmark(ing) is a test (or set of tests) you run against a piece of hardware to evaluate how effective it is at doing what it's designed to do. For GPU's specifically it can measure how effectively the GPU can process and render images to the screen. Think of it like a test to help you evaluate the potential of a piece of hardware, so you are better able to determine if it meets your needs.

Does any or all of that make sense?
I tried to keep everything as simple as possible so it is clear and easy to understand.

it makes sense. thanks for explaining it. i kinda figured thats what benchmark meant but when i looked at waht it was testing is when i got confused haha. also apparently nvidia is releasing a gtx 1060 that wont be much more than the rx480 so by the time i buy my graphics card(probably october) i hope you will know which is better haha

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Steam: Frostilyte

Jul 08, '16, 7:25am

Chaz2132005 wrote:it makes sense. thanks for explaining it. i kinda figured thats what benchmark meant but when i looked at waht it was testing is when i got confused haha. also apparently nvidia is releasing a gtx 1060 that wont be much more than the rx480 so by the time i buy my graphics card(probably october) i hope you will know which is better haha

There probably won't be a huge difference between the 2, though Nvidia cards tend to consume less electricity and AMD cards tend to support more RAM (compared to the Nvidia card's they are directly competing with).

I'll let you know once I can take a look (won't be able to at work).
Frost-Tea-Light
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 08, '16, 7:26am

Frostilyte wrote:
Chaz2132005 wrote:it makes sense. thanks for explaining it. i kinda figured thats what benchmark meant but when i looked at waht it was testing is when i got confused haha. also apparently nvidia is releasing a gtx 1060 that wont be much more than the rx480 so by the time i buy my graphics card(probably october) i hope you will know which is better haha

There probably won't be a huge difference between the 2, though Nvidia cards tend to consume less electricity and AMD cards tend to support more RAM (compared to the Nvidia card's they are directly competing with).

I'll let you know once I can take a look (won't be able to at work).

the 1060 benchmark tests cant released until the 19th when the embargo ends

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Jul 08, '16, 7:27am

Chaz2132005 wrote:the 1060 benchmark tests cant released until the 19th when the embargo ends

Ha. Well hopefully I remember to check them then. XD
Frost-Tea-Light

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 08, '16, 7:28am

Frostilyte wrote:
Chaz2132005 wrote:the 1060 benchmark tests cant released until the 19th when the embargo ends

dont worry im sure i will ask you what the difference is again haha

Ribnax
Unsung Hero
XBL: Ribnax
PSN: Celsius4
NNID: Ribnax
Steam: Ribnax

Re: I Want a Gaming PC | Guide (v1.4.2)

Jul 11, '16, 9:12am

I bought myself an ASUS ROG PG279Q SWIFT monitor and MAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN is that thing a big upgrade from my old 19" Philips.

My rig is complete, and I couldn't be happier with PC gaming! Having so much fun, and I can't imagine going back, now. Thanks, all, for all of your help!
============
Add me with "Kinda Funny" in the message!

Twitter: @Ribnax
PSN: Celsius4
XBOX: Ribnax
Nintendo Account: Ribnax

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 19, '16, 6:02am

Frostilyte wrote:

embargo is up today

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Jul 19, '16, 6:09am

Chaz2132005 wrote:embargo is up today

Go with the 1060.
Costs a little more upfront, but lower power consumption will (likely) make it the cheaper option in the long run. It also seems to perform a smidgen better.

Ribnax wrote:I bought myself an ASUS ROG PG279Q SWIFT monitor and MAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN is that thing a big upgrade from my old 19" Philips.

My rig is complete, and I couldn't be happier with PC gaming! Having so much fun, and I can't imagine going back, now. Thanks, all, for all of your help!

Glad we could help. :kinda
Frost-Tea-Light

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 19, '16, 6:12am

Frostilyte wrote:
Chaz2132005 wrote:embargo is up today

Go with the 1060.
Costs a little more upfront, but lower power consumption will (likely) make it the cheaper option in the long run. It also seems to perform a smidgen better.

Your awesome

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

I Want a Gaming PC | Guide (v1.4.3)

Jul 19, '16, 6:19am

Updated GPU recommendation in OP to reflect the current offerings on the market. A 2GB card will still work, but getting a 4GB+ card is becoming rather inexpensive with the newer cards that are being released.
I should probably look and see if I can find any update building guides for 2016...

Chaz2132005 wrote:Your awesome

Just trying my best to help where I can. :kinda
Frost-Tea-Light

OperativeDarg
Best Friend
PSN: OperativeDarg
Steam: OperativeDarg

Jul 20, '16, 12:11am

My build is coming along should be completed in a few days just waiting for the CPU + Cooler.

EDIT: Forgot the specs...

Case: Corsair 400c
MB: Asus Z170-WS
RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3000Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
PSU: Evga 650w G2 FM
CPU: Intel 6700k
Cooler: Corsair H110i

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jul 20, '16, 6:20am

OperativeDarg wrote:My build is coming along should be completed in a few days just waiting for the CPU + Cooler.

Looking good so far!
► Show Spoiler

OperativeDarg
Best Friend

Jul 20, '16, 12:30pm

Well my parts arrived sooner than I thought...

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Re: I Want a Gaming PC | Guide (v1.4.3)

Jul 20, '16, 12:37pm

Nice. ColinApproves
Frost-Tea-Light

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jul 20, '16, 6:41pm

I'm digging the all-black! Nice job!
► Show Spoiler

OperativeDarg
Best Friend

Jul 21, '16, 2:52am

Thank you very much :)

Weidleface
Producer
PSN: Weidleface
NNID: Weidleface
Steam: Weidleface

Aug 02, '16, 4:08pm

Best Friends, I need some advice.

I'm still pretty new to the PC gaming realm, and even though I built a pretty middle-of-the-road gaming PC with a friend I still really don't know what I'm doing. I'm looking at pre-built rigs to see if there's anything worth buying and upgrading down the road. I saw what appears to be a pretty good deal at Best Buy (I'll link below), but I'd like your opinions on it. Price-wise it seems cheaper than what I scoped out with similar specs on PC Part Picker, which seems weird to me given that building a tower is usually the cheaper road. What am I missing?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-deskto ... Id=5070700

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Aug 02, '16, 4:11pm

Weidleface wrote:Best Friends, I need some advice.

I'm still pretty new to the PC gaming realm, and even though I built a pretty middle-of-the-road gaming PC with a friend I still really don't know what I'm doing. I'm looking at pre-built rigs to see if there's anything worth buying and upgrading down the road. I saw what appears to be a pretty good deal at Best Buy (I'll link below), but I'd like your opinions on it. Price-wise it seems cheaper than what I scoped out with similar specs on PC Part Picker, which seems weird to me given that building a tower is usually the cheaper road. What am I missing?

would you happen to have the pc parts picker saved? It would make it easier to see why its more expensive

Weidleface
Producer
PSN: Weidleface
NNID: Weidleface
Steam: Weidleface

Aug 02, '16, 4:18pm

Chaz wrote:

would you happen to have the pc parts picker saved? It would make it easier to see why its more expensive

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3WVsqs

That's what I have so far in terms of building a comparable rig to the Asus one. And that's not including a case, power supply, keyboard/mouse, or optical drive (which I don't necessarily need, but the other one has).

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Aug 02, '16, 4:28pm

Weidleface wrote:
Chaz wrote:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3WVsqs

That's what I have so far in terms of building a comparable rig to the Asus one. And that's not including a case, power supply, keyboard/mouse, or optical drive (which I don't necessarily need, but the other one has).

just looking at everything it doesnt make sense why building it would cost you more than the pre-built one which is 1k but maybe Frosti, Mavryk or OneShot will be of more help. I've been researching pc stuff since I'm starting to transition into doing more pc with my ps4 and nx being my exclusives machines but I'm still nowhere near as knowledgable as those 3. they helped me in icking everything to build a PC

Mavryk wrote:.

Frostilyte wrote:.

One-Shot wrote:.