Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

What are you playing on PC at the moment?

Aug 26, '15, 4:59am

Inspired by the "What Are You Watching?" and "Post the last movie you watched" threads in the movies/TV/anime subforum, I want to ask what are you playing right now on the PC and what do you think about it?

Kicking it off I just completed Fallout 3 for the first time, :shock: shocking I know, but being an MMO player I missed a great deal of great franchises even though I had bought the games. It was a solid game, though it's a little dated now, especially with the dialogue options being mastered by Bioware. I also didn't like the fact that there was no way that I saw to romance anyone... though it's a big game and I may have missed it.

Now I've installed New Vegas and jumped in to create a character and take a look around. One of the bonus' about this game is that I can set it to 4k and there HUD is clearly visible. Man this game looks a lot better visually than 3 already which is good. I've also noticed a few little tweaks which are great.
► Show Spoiler

deadman
Unsung Hero

Aug 26, '15, 6:07am

started playing fallout 2 recently, its a lot more easier to get into then i thought it would be.

also dota. always dota.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Aug 26, '15, 8:20am

deadman wrote:started playing fallout 2 recently, its a lot more easier to get into then i thought it would be.

also dota. always dota.

I skipped the first two Fallout's because most people don't even talk about them, and people say they are completely different games. How do you find them?
► Show Spoiler

deadman
Unsung Hero

Aug 26, '15, 8:48am

Mavryk wrote:
deadman wrote:started playing fallout 2 recently, its a lot more easier to get into then i thought it would be.

also dota. always dota.

I skipped the first two Fallout's because most people don't even talk about them, and people say they are completely different games. How do you find them?

once you realised it just a turn based cRPG its no trouble at all, very similar to divinity original sin or wasteland 2 (which obviously it should be). vats is basically just the combat system from the these 2 games but brought to 3d and modernised. there is a high resolution texture mod for it to make it look prettier but even in its vanilla state it still looks alright for a 17 yr old game.

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Steam: Frostilyte

Re: What are you playing on PC at the moment?

Aug 26, '15, 11:18am

So Mavryk, as you are a mod does that mean I shouldn't report this for being kind of a duplicate of the "what are you playing" thread in general gaming? :lol: Just joshing.

I'm right there with you Mavryk. I played an MMO...a shitty MMO...throughout college, so I missed out on 4 years of games. A such I also haven't ever played a Fallout game - yet. I have New Vegas, just haven't gotten to it. My list of things from the Steam summer sale is almost defeated and as such it is only a matter of time before I get to New Vegas.

As for what I am actually playing on PC:

I have begun playing Borderlands 2 again. I never truly stop playing Borderlands...I merely take multiple week breaks. I think it may have filled the MMO void in my gaming life. I play through multiple characters, do pointless quests, and farm for loot. :lol: This playthrough I am playing Gaige the Mecromancer who I purchased during this year's summer sale. Coming off of The Pre-Sequel I found the first number of levels to be particularly slow, but as I'm entering the late teens things are starting to speed up a bit. Getting some points invested in a few skills certainly helps with this.

My current podcast game (game to play while listening to various podcasts) is Cities Skylines. Skylines is an interesting game...everything is designed in a way so that it mimics how the real world works, so the game doesn't tell you a whole lot about it's systems, but they are also somewhat predictable. For instance I had a city with a population of 60k and I didn't really have a lot of public transit in place. I then took it upon myself to add in a dozen subway lines and about 20 bus lines. After a few months many of the city's traffic problems had been solved and I also had a very high demand for new citizens in the city, which helped to skyrocket population growth to 80k in a very short time frame. So it turns out people don't want to live in cities with traffic problems. Who would have thought? :mrgreen:
Oh, one notable weirdness about the game is that it forces you to micromanage garbage for some reason. When a dump fills up it doesn't automatically start incinerating the garbage...it just sits there, full, until you tell it to empty. Once you have 20+ landfills it gets quite tedious to constantly need to empty the dumps instead of them facilitating this on their own.

And Heroes of the Storm. Never played a MOBA before. Two weeks ago I started playing HotS. I quite enjoy it. It kind of reminds me of when I use to play PvP...except this is more involved. From hearing and reading more about other MOBAs, now that I understanding the basics of the gameplay, it is clear to me that HotS is a lot more basic in its execution. I'm not able to play ranked matches, and I've only played solo queue, so I haven't really gotten into high level play. Still, I am enjoying playing various different heroes and am trying to learn different playstyles that work for different characters. According to my friends who play MOBAs I naturally play ADC style. That means I like killing stuff. Often.
Frost-Tea-Light
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

deadman
Unsung Hero

Aug 26, '15, 1:15pm

Frostilyte wrote:So Mavryk, as you are a mod does that mean I shouldn't report this for being kind of a duplicate of the "what are you playing" thread in general gaming? :lol: Just joshing.

I'm right there with you Mavryk. I played an MMO...a shitty MMO...throughout college, so I missed out on 4 years of games. A such I also haven't ever played a Fallout game - yet. I have New Vegas, just haven't gotten to it. My list of things from the Steam summer sale is almost defeated and as such it is only a matter of time before I get to New Vegas.

i'd say new vegas is the better of the two more recent fallouts, it has better writting and quest design compared to 3. i do find the world to be less boring but bethesda are brilliant and designing worlds, just not as good as obsidian at the other things in rpg. also obsidian is made up of old interplay/black isle guys the original people who did fallout and they just capture the tone better.

One-Shot
Management
Management
XBL: OneIShot
PSN: OnelShot
Steam: One-Shot

Aug 26, '15, 3:11pm

Well next week I will be playing MGSV on my PC. Right now still playing a bit of Witcher 3 and chipping away at it. Think I just have to accept OCD and this game don't fly.
"I don't know what it means to be the water man" - Colin Moriarty

Goodrich
Seducer

Aug 26, '15, 3:36pm

Playing the original Rome: Total War as the Gauls.. the game is just too damn good.
PSN/XBL/Steam: Goodrichguy

VanQuish
Pure One
PSN: iVanQuishx
Steam: Vanquish

Aug 26, '15, 5:16pm

I've played Dragon Age: Inquisition (which was awesome) and Witcher 3,
But now i'm just playing casual games like Rocket League until the release of Metal Gear Solid V
(I've never played a Metal Gear game but Greg seems to love it so i think ill give it a try) :roll:

Colesslaw
Pure One
PSN: Colesslawz
Steam: Colesslaw

Aug 26, '15, 5:17pm

Lots of CSGO H1Z1, and my single player game right now is Deus Ex: Human Revolution

EyesOnly
Best Friend
XBL: SEARhonda
PSN: Tumadre84
Steam: rstrong84

Aug 26, '15, 6:58pm

Playing dragon age inquisition. I had started the game as a dagger rogue and just wallaby having fun so I started again as a warrior and I am having a lot more fun.

I'm about 45 hours in and wanting to finish it before fallout 4.

Siding completely with Templars this play through.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Aug 26, '15, 9:29pm

Frostilyte wrote:So Mavryk, as you are a mod does that mean I shouldn't report this for being kind of a duplicate of the "what are you playing" thread in general gaming? :lol: Just joshing.

This is true, however to encourage more PC-centric activity I thought it would be good to get this going over here too. (Don't tell the other mods :portilloSeducer ) :lol:

I too missed out on Borderlands and Cities:Skylines, even though I own both on STEAM. I usually find myself going back and playing SWTOR atm to take advantage of the 12x Story XP boost that subs get.

deadman wrote:i'd say new vegas is the better of the two more recent fallouts, it has better writting and quest design compared to 3. i do find the world to be less boring but bethesda are brilliant and designing worlds, just not as good as obsidian at the other things in rpg. also obsidian is made up of old interplay/black isle guys the original people who did fallout and they just capture the tone better.

It is definitely easier to improve on something rather than having to start from scratch. But NV does feel like a giant leap in improvement from 3 already, despite only minor changes I've encountered so far.

One-Shot wrote:Well next week I will be playing MGSV on my PC. Right now still playing a bit of Witcher 3 and chipping away at it. Think I just have to accept OCD and this game don't fly.

I had planned on getting MGSV on PC as I really prefer the mouse for shooting games, however I preordered the limited edition console with it bundled in so I have to play it on PS4 :( I asked about the trade in value, and it was estimated at a third of retail, so I decided to keep it.

Goodrich wrote:Playing the original Rome: Total War as the Gauls.. the game is just too damn good.

That's another game series that I completely missed :/ I did look at getting the Samurai ones during the last Steam sale but decided I have a large enough backlog I need to get through first.

Colesslaw wrote:Lots of CSGO H1Z1, and my single player game right now is Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I tried Deus Ex HR a while back because of a friends recommendation, but it didn't stick. Something felt off in the gameplay. I do plan on revisiting that game as the world and characters seem interesting.

EyesOnly wrote:Playing dragon age inquisition. I had started the game as a dagger rogue and just wallaby having fun so I started again as a warrior and I am having a lot more fun.

I'm about 45 hours in and wanting to finish it before fallout 4.

Siding completely with Templars this play through.

I've heard nothing but great things about Inquisition, though I did try Origins back in the day because I loved Mass Effect so much. Maybe I will try that series again, but it's low on my list haha
► Show Spoiler

Anoyster
Seducer

Aug 27, '15, 2:21am

Most days I play a bit of Rocket League on the PC. Last night I launched Dark Souls for the first time in a loooong time and just started casually playing it and ended up getting all the way to Sen's Fortress.
"Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding."

Goodrich
Seducer

Aug 27, '15, 5:49am

Mavryk wrote:
Goodrich wrote:Playing the original Rome: Total War as the Gauls.. the game is just too damn good.

That's another game series that I completely missed :/ I did look at getting the Samurai ones during the last Steam sale but decided I have a large enough backlog I need to get through first.

They're great games, but to me the newer ones get a little bit complicated, and pretty unfriendly to new players. The newest one that there is that's still pretty easy to get used to is probably Shogun 2. If you ever want to give the series a try, I'd say start with something like that, or Medieval 2.
PSN/XBL/Steam: Goodrichguy

One-Shot
Management
Management
XBL: OneIShot
PSN: OnelShot
Steam: One-Shot

Aug 27, '15, 7:06am

Mavryk wrote:
One-Shot wrote:Well next week I will be playing MGSV on my PC. Right now still playing a bit of Witcher 3 and chipping away at it. Think I just have to accept OCD and this game don't fly.

I had planned on getting MGSV on PC as I really prefer the mouse for shooting games, however I preordered the limited edition console with it bundled in so I have to play it on PS4 :( I asked about the trade in value, and it was estimated at a third of retail, so I decided to keep it.

Ugh, not a fan of playing 3rd person shooter with a mouse. tried it with Gears of War and was not a fan. I am just going to stick with a controller and playing on my TV for the console experience, but with the PC graphics.

Don't suppose you know someone who will want to buy the PS4 version and then just give you money to buy the PC version?
"I don't know what it means to be the water man" - Colin Moriarty

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Aug 27, '15, 9:33am

Mavryk wrote:This is true, however to encourage more PC-centric activity I thought it would be good to get this going over here too. (Don't tell the other mods :portilloSeducer ) :lol:

Ah ha, fair point. It seems to have worked too.

Mavryk wrote:I too missed out on Borderlands and Cities:Skylines, even though I own both on STEAM. I usually find myself going back and playing SWTOR atm to take advantage of the 12x Story XP boost that subs get.

And there in lies the trap of MMOs, which is part of why I stopped playing them.
Along with the terrible free to play mechanics in MapleStory generally ruining the game, I also constantly felt obligated to play the damn thing because there was a new class, or a x2 or x3 exp weekend or some event for some special item. Waaaaaay too much time wasted on that game.
Frost-Tea-Light

Mavryk
Management
Management

Aug 27, '15, 10:23am

One-Shot wrote:Ugh, not a fan of playing 3rd person shooter with a mouse. tried it with Gears of War and was not a fan. I am just going to stick with a controller and playing on my TV for the console experience, but with the PC graphics.

Don't suppose you know someone who will want to buy the PS4 version and then just give you money to buy the PC version?

On my first go playing Ground Zeroes I struggled with the controller, so I swapped to a mouse and keyboard and could much better hold me own when in combat. I'm used to it from Mass Effect and Splinter Cell. It's First Person Shooters I can't play on a controller, I'm doing it now with Fallout because inbetween combat its easier to traverse the wastelands using the controller.

And no, no one else I know is interested in the game... Oh well... Trophies :D

Frostilyte wrote:And there in lies the trap of MMOs, which is part of why I stopped playing them.
Along with the terrible free to play mechanics in MapleStory generally ruining the game, I also constantly felt obligated to play the damn thing because there was a new class, or a x2 or x3 exp weekend or some event for some special item. Waaaaaay too much time wasted on that game.

I've slowed down on playing them because they are all practically the same. I only keep going back to SWTOR because it's Star Wars and I love that universe. I'm almost finished my 10th toon to level 50, so the game is second nature to play as I listen to podcasts or watch youtube on the second screen.
► Show Spoiler

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Aug 27, '15, 11:23am

WoW :D
THE END OF AN ERA

Keltigon (PSN)
Captain Hogwash (Twitch Chat)
@CreatureLives (Twitter)

Littleraven89
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Savagechild89

Aug 27, '15, 4:10pm

Blizzard games pretty much dominate my PC game time. It is rare that I play anything not made by them.

Currently I am bouncing between World of Warcraft, DIablo 3 and Heroes of the Storm. I also dabble in Final Fantasy 14.

I really wanna get back into Minecraft though. I toyed around in Trove for a bit but it isn't quite the same.

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Aug 27, '15, 7:17pm

Mavryk wrote:I've slowed down on playing them because they are all practically the same. I only keep going back to SWTOR because it's Star Wars and I love that universe. I'm almost finished my 10th toon to level 50, so the game is second nature to play as I listen to podcasts or watch youtube on the second screen.

I just can't bring myself to play an MMO anymore because there is too much things I want to play. A lot of my recent gaming has been catching up on what I've viewed as the notable releases from the past number of years as well as indie games. With the rate that stuff is released I just can't afford the time that an MMO requires. :shock:
Frost-Tea-Light