Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Steam: Frostilyte

Battlerite | MOBA-lite

Dec 01, '16, 6:31am

Battlerite

Platforms: Windows

Release Date: September 20th, 2016 (Early Access)

Battlerite is an action-packed Team Arena Brawler focused on competitive PvP combat. Fight side by side with teammates to the sound of the roaring crowd in vibrant, colosseum-style surroundings. Welcome to a world where champions dedicate their lives to the arena.

https://youtu.be/f5Q041c0Sis

Official Site
Last edited by Frostilyte on Dec 05, '16, 5:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Frost-Tea-Light
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Re: Battlerite | Free Weekend Dec 1 - 4

Dec 01, '16, 6:38am

Well I've got my weekend plans. Anyone else thinking of giving the beta build of Battlerite a go this weekend while it's free?
Frost-Tea-Light

The_Redback
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Dec 01, '16, 1:18pm

Watched a couple of video on it, considered it, passing on it. Doesn't seem like its my jam, I have other games I would rather be playing.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
Twitter: @The_Redback

francisbaud
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Dec 01, '16, 2:37pm

I haven't played that game yet, I was a big fan of Bloodline Champions though. If they achieve to have a similar atmosphere in Battlerite and the gameplay is just as fun, it should be a good brawler.

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Dec 01, '16, 8:44pm

I dunno if it's just the match making, but I'm constantly getting my ass kicked. Was playing with a buddy and we won 2 of the...I dunno maybe 10-15 games we played. The vast majority of the games were us being lowered to the curb and out teeth being decisively broken on the cement. I figured with it being a free weekend we might have had opponents who were also new like ourselves, but that didn't seem to necessarily be the case (lots of people with fancy skins). Going to keep giving it a crack. I'm kinda iffy on the fun. I like it, but I find it frustrating that I don't feel like I'm learning the game due to the constant roflstomping. It's the same thing that put me off StarCraft and Overwatch. Though I suppose if I buy and play it for 300+ hours like I did Heroes of the Storm I might actually learn and improve...

Oh also quite glad the chat is auto muted. My buddy has much thicker skin than I do for trash talking and 2 or 3 of the games we played had some rather unsavory folks who trash talk in the unranked mode. That will probably never not bug the crap out of me because I've played games where the community spoke down to people for trash talking in unranked hahaha.

Edit:
Read over some of the steam discussion forums for the game. Apparently I'm not the only person who is frustrated as hell with the match making. New players playing during the free weekend and veteran players alike are extremely frustrated with it. New players for the reason I am and vets because they don't want to have someone who is effectively dead weight on their team and they don't want new players to be scared off from the game. Also seems the game has had a match making problem for a while given the responses from many of the veteran players...
No idea why you'd have a free weekend before you rebalance your match making...seems counter intuitive. Ah well. Still going to keep playing.
Frost-Tea-Light

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Dec 02, '16, 9:19pm

Day 2:

Today went much better. I think more noobies like me were in the game now as I seemed to get matched up with quite a few really good matches (wins and losses). The first few of the night Will and I did quite well...not sure if we were against completely green players, or we were going back into the game with a vengeance. Overall a much more positive impression now that I'm just under hitting the 6 hour mark.

Now, all that said I have to ask myself about longevity. Do I think for the...I think it's $16 something Canadian is the game going to be worth it? Can I get value out of that. There's enough characters to bounce around and try out new stuff and I am having fun with it, but I don't see myself getting as enthralled as I did with something like Duelyst. I had to pull myself away from Duelyst, so I could focus on other games and I'm not sure I'd have that same relationship with Battlerite. That said, if I get 20-30 hours out of it that still isn't bad. I've certainly paid more for less when it comes to games.

Oh and obligatory favourite heroes list:
Freya and Ruh Kaan

Still need to try out half the characters.
Frost-Tea-Light

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Dec 03, '16, 3:53am

It looked interesting, but I'm not into MOBA's. I'll stick to Overwatch I think.
► Show Spoiler

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Re: Battlerite | MOBA-lite

Dec 05, '16, 5:46am

After about 7 hours of playing during the free weekend I decided to purchase Battlerite. I think I can get $16.50 of value out of the game plus I was a little worried about the game coming out of EA and going F2P, which is planned. Part of my fun with the game was switching around which character I was playing, so being cut off from all the characters until I can grind them all out doesn't sound particularly enjoyable. Working on a few other things at the moment before I dive into Battlerite a little more regularly though.
Frost-Tea-Light

The_Redback

Dec 05, '16, 1:08pm

Glad you had enough fun with it to buy it in the end.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
Twitter: @The_Redback

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Jan 05, '17, 9:02am

Okay. Returned after not playing for a month as I finished off some of the other things I wanted to play.

Getting back into Battlerite was easier than getting back in HotS was, but I think a big part of that comes from the game focusing on a single thing (pvp) rather than several things (pvp, laning, objectives).
Frost-Tea-Light