Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

What are your favorite RPGs?

Dec 18, '16, 2:34pm

This is for PC only. That's why it's in this thread.

I haven't played a whole lot of PC games since I finished high school and that was in 04. So my list might be a little dated.

• Planescape: Torment
  • Baldur's Gate II
  • Neverwinter Nights
  • Diablo 2

Not a big list but I was never really a PC gamer.
We don’t go balls to the wall, we go nuts to butts.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Dec 18, '16, 6:37pm

I too have not played too many RPGs on the PC, however, my favorites:
-The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
-Fallout 3
-Fallout: New Vegas

Takatsuki
Banned

Dec 28, '16, 8:37pm

I don't like WRPGs at all, only JRPGs.

My favorite RPGs on PC are:
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
Final Fantasy IX
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Tales of Symphonia
Valkyria Chronicles (well, it's kinda a TPS/Strategy RPG hybrid)

Other favorites not on PC include:
Pokemon G/S/C
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Tales of the Abyss
Xenosaga Episode III
Dragon Quest VIII
Persona 3 FES/Portable
Persona 4

BrentCT
Pure One
PSN: rockhyuuga

Dec 29, '16, 1:36am

I love these games for reasons:
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Witcher 3
And I'm sure I'm missing some but just assume they are at least pretty good.

Wildblood
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: Danaxus82

Re: What are your favorite RPGs?

Dec 29, '16, 2:52am

I'm not too familiar with PC RPGs, especially not newer ones. I'll give a shout-out to Nox though :-)

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Dec 29, '16, 4:17pm

Same as others have said here, I really love the Fallout games.

Mass effect 2 and 3 are up there for me as well. I don't play too many RPGs but there is some greats ones with turn based combat that are often overlooked like the Shadowrun series.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jan 03, '17, 5:51am

Mass Effect series for sure. Witcher 3 is a fantastic game, as are the Dragon Age games.

MMORPGs: Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars The Old Republic
Non-PC RPGs: Pokemon series introduced me to the genre, as did Zelda 2, so I have to give a shout out to them.
► Show Spoiler

Ponthegan
Pure One
Steam: Ponthegan

Jan 03, '17, 7:30pm

It's not that robust of a list, but it works

1. TES IV: Oblivion
2. Mass Effect 3 (all DLC)
3. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Enhanced Edition)
4. Fable II
5. Child of Light

Makes me realize just how deep my backlog is getting. I still would like to play the KotOR games, TES III: Morrowind, and at least Diablo III.

JJGee
Baller
PSN: Night-MareW
Steam: JJGee

Jan 07, '17, 7:09am

NetHack
My favorite game in the world. Unrivaled in variety, rewarding challenge, gameplay mechanics, depth, humor, and almost anything else - well, except maybe graphics and sound. I've been ranting about my love for NetHack all over the place, including the Forums, but it's one of those games that you can't really sell by explaining it - you need to play it, and even then it takes a while to get into it. But when you do, there's no going back.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Morrowind was my first real open-world experience, and I can't even describe how this world blew my mind. I still love the world design, and even with games like Skyrim or even Witcher, they don't make them like this anymore: I knew this world, I understood how it worked and why everything was where it was, and I believed it. That's the difference between Morrowind and most other games with big worlds - It wasn't just a bunch of characters and towns placed into arbitrary places, with someone slapping on names and one-sentence descriptions of them; instead, everything about Morrowind felt like had actual history and life to it, and nothing was there "just because". I could go on and on about this - remind yourself never to get me drunk and talk about Morrowind, because that'll take up your entire night.

Pillars of Eternity
Pillars of Eternity is one of the games I've been most hyped about in my entire life, as I was waiting for it to come out. It's a fantastic example of a game where paying attention to the world and its imaginary culture, geography and politics goes such a long way, and it's also one of the best exhibits of a system where the world reacts to the player - not necessarily specific actions, but rather the nature and personality you're building for your character through those actions. Mechanically, it's the game I wish Baldur's Gate had been, with a delightfully challenging combat system that makes a lot of sense, and a lot of variety with characters and the ways you can develop your own hero.

Dragon Age: Origins
This game took me by surprise when it first came out, and it still stands out as one of my favorite RPGs from a technical standpoint. I love the combat, the skill system, all that stuff - and the story, too, is pretty great for what it is, which is a pretty standard fantasy tale. Granted, the weight of the player's choices are limited and binary at best, but back when DA:O came out, we didn't yet quite have the expectations of reactive storytelling that we do now, and it's not like they even promised that to begin with. That said, the endgame can actually be significantly different based on how you played the game. The sequels - particularly DAII - were disappointing to say the least, but that doesn't diminish the value of this game.

Fallout
I was going back and forth between Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: New Vegas, all of which are masterpieces - yet I didn't want to put all of them on the list. I picked the first one though, because I'm more familiar with it than the second one, and because it's the origin of the things that I love about all those three games. Both 1 and 2 have world design unlike most games out there, and games like Fallout 3 or 4 don't hold a candle to the atmosphere and believability of what was going on in those older games.

Littleraven89
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Savagechild89

Jan 17, '17, 10:28am

Final Fantasy VII - Was my introduction to an actual RPG. I may have played some before that but none of them stuck with me. At the time I had never seen anything like that game. While its not my favorite in the series or even RPG as a whole it deserves so much credit for doing what it did.

Dragon Quest VIII - First Dragon Quest I finished. Fantastic game. Loved the story even if it was a a bit hokey at times. The characters were awesome and it blows my mind every time Colin says he never played this game because I feel like he would love it. I don't have the lineage he does with Dragon Quest though so what do I know lol

Final Fantasy IX - Favorite in the series. It only really dawned on me how much I Ioved the game years after it came out. Fantastic cast of characters. A pretty fun story and the world is awesome. This was the last Final Fantasy before XV that I fell in absolute love with right away. I try to make it a habit of playing it every few years and I never get sick of it.

Brave Fencer Musashi - This one is a bit blurry because it feels way more like an action game and an RPG but there are still enough RPG elements there to consider it one. I fell in love with this game when I played the demo that came with something. Don't remember exactly what but it may have been one of those demo discs that came out every now and then. A stupid and fun game. Didn't take itself serious at all but still found a way to tell a pretty serious story. Everything is named after food puns and the characters are all over the top. Had this game has trophies I would have had the platinum. Played the game into the ground.

Pokemon Silver/Gold - I know Pokemon is babies first RPG (especially back then before EV/IV training) but this game in particular is special to me. I have played every Pokemon since but Silver and Gold were the last ones that felt awesome to me. I've enjoyed each one since but I remember loving how it was a perfect mix of the old and new. I'm not one of these people who is Gen 1 or die (Gen 2 is my favorite obviously) but getting to go back to Kanto after you finished Johto was mind blowing to my 11 year old self. The remakes are the definitive versions of those games and I think I put something like 140 hours into it on DS when it came out just running around. Loved it.

zmd113
Best Friend
XBL: zmd113
PSN: zmd113
NNID: zmd113

Jan 21, '17, 9:53pm

Final Fantasy XIII
The World Ends With You
Kotor 1 & 2
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy XV

usmcLink
Best Friend
Position/Title: Web Developer

Jan 29, '17, 5:16pm

For PC I would have to echo some of the already mentioned heavyweights:

BG
BG2
KOTOR (though first played on the orig Xbox)
Favorite games of all-time: KOTOR, OoT, Red Alert, Goldeneye
Gamer Dating

Cazzelle
Best Friend

Jan 31, '17, 11:43am

I have Final Fantasy XV but I haven't found the time to start it yet. I need to get started, I am clearly missing out

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Feb 01, '17, 2:17pm

usmcLink wrote:BG

I remember having LAN parties as a teenager playing co-op BG. It was awesome.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Feb 02, '17, 8:22am

Well, if it's only for games available on PC, off the top of my head, then here it goes:

- Fallout 1, 2 (and 3, even if it's more of an actiony-RPG than anything else);
- Planescape: Torment;
- Baldur's Gate I and II;
- Neverwinter Nights;
- Diablo II;
- Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic;
- Dragon Age: Origins;
- Dragon Age: Inquisition (and this is also my favorite game, ever);
- Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 (yeah, I fucking love this, all the way through to the ending);
- The Witcher 1, 2 and 3 (the third one is a masterpiece, IMHO).

And that's my list.
I haven't played all of them on a PC, tho, if I'm being honest - but only the more recent ones, really (as I haven't had a powerful rig for the longest time - just recently bought a new laptop), but there you have it.

:kinda

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Feb 03, '17, 7:54am

Diablo.

Lord_Duncho
Producer
PSN: Lord_Duncho

Mar 24, '17, 4:51pm

thinking of getting The Witcher 3 for MAC OSX... any good? worth it?
"...fuck it dude, let's go bowling."

TheHiketeia
Producer
PSN: TheHiketeia
NNID: TheHiketeia
Steam: TheHiketeia

Mar 27, '17, 7:56am

Lord_Duncho wrote:thinking of getting The Witcher 3 for MAC OSX... any good? worth it?

No idea how it runs on MAC OSX, but definitely worthwhile. One the best RPGs I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

My favorite RPGs:

Final Fantasy VI (not sure if there's a PC port yet, but the best classic JRPG, imo)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Dragon Age Origins
Dragon Age Inquisition
Witcher 2 & 3 (disclaimer: the witcher 2 combat feels pretty dated)
Divinity: Original Sin
It all began with a Nintendo 64 in 1996...
Now I'm all about that Playstation Nation/PCMR.

Frostilyte
Pride of the Forums
Steam: Frostilyte

Mar 29, '17, 7:18am

Lord_Duncho wrote:thinking of getting The Witcher 3 for MAC OSX... any good? worth it?

According to Steam there is only a Windows version available. You running it with dual booting on a windows partition?
I don't actually have an answer to your inquiry sorry. I was made curious by your comment though.

TheHiketeia wrote:Divinity: Original Sin

^This

List shortness comes from being relatively new to playing RPGs on a computer, though that's probably not a bad thing given I likely wouldn't have had the patience required to play some of them when I was younger.
Frost-Tea-Light
My Review Blog
Steam: Frostilyte
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Brotherhood93
Greg's Ego
PSN: M_O_T1919

Mar 29, '17, 5:46pm

JJGee wrote:Dragon Age: Origins
This game took me by surprise when it first came out, and it still stands out as one of my favorite RPGs from a technical standpoint. I love the combat, the skill system, all that stuff - and the story, too, is pretty great for what it is, which is a pretty standard fantasy tale. Granted, the weight of the player's choices are limited and binary at best, but back when DA:O came out, we didn't yet quite have the expectations of reactive storytelling that we do now, and it's not like they even promised that to begin with. That said, the endgame can actually be significantly different based on how you played the game. The sequels - particularly DAII - were disappointing to say the least, but that doesn't diminish the value of this game.

BetoJR wrote:- Dragon Age: Origins;
- Dragon Age: Inquisition (and this is also my favorite game, ever);

TheHiketeia wrote:Dragon Age Origins
Dragon Age Inquisition

It's good to see Dragon Age getting some love on the forums. I feel like it's a really underrated franchise. Inquisition has better gameplay but Origins is one of my favourite games of all time for it's story and characters.

Return to “PC Gaming”