Couple of times a year
12%
Never
9%

Total votes: 34
Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

Re: Poll Of The Week: How often do you eat fast food?

Sep 11, '17, 11:56pm

Frostilyte wrote:
That reminds me: I haven't eaten McDonald's since I was 8. I'm 24. I'm pretty sure that'd kill me now. My goto is the Subway that is less than a block away.

Urgh, I really dislike Subway. I went there once and had a terrible sandwich and never visited again. Odds are I just had bad luck, but that's enough for me. I also don't like sandwiches much anyway

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Poll Of The Week: How often do you eat fast food?

Sep 12, '17, 1:54am

vitzpatel wrote:We made a rule to say we only eat pizza once a month (as a payday treat), but we do fall into the habit of ordering take out once a week.

Question... Do you get once a month? Or do you buy the pizza on the corresponding payday? Just curious as I've had jobs that paid weekly and fortnightly, but monthly sounds horrid lol
► Show Spoiler

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Sep 12, '17, 2:15am

Mavryk wrote:
vitzpatel wrote:We made a rule to say we only eat pizza once a month (as a payday treat), but we do fall into the habit of ordering take out once a week.

Question... Do you get once a month? Or do you buy the pizza on the corresponding payday? Just curious as I've had jobs that paid weekly and fortnightly, but monthly sounds horrid lol

I got monthly pay at one job I had, hated it.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Sep 12, '17, 2:36am

The_Redback wrote:
Mavryk wrote:

Is that not common in your line of work? I wouldn't like weekly salaries, I find it easier to plan with monthly salaries

vitzpatel
Baller
PSN: vitz1985

Sep 12, '17, 3:27am

Eve Narlieth wrote:
The_Redback wrote:
Mavryk wrote:Question... Do you get once a month? Or do you buy the pizza on the corresponding payday? Just curious as I've had jobs that paid weekly and fortnightly, but monthly sounds horrid lol

Is that not common in your line of work? I wouldn't like weekly salaries, I find it easier to plan with monthly salaries

Might fall foul of how many quotes inside quotes you can do (a quote inception if you will), but yeah getting paid a salary on a monthly basis is the norm here. I get paid monthly, so we know which week of the month we both get paid in, so every third week of a month we get pizza.

I have a spreadsheet which keeps tracks of my finances - so much easier to help budgeting.

So you have your fixed monthly outgoings (which don't change month to month, big things like rent/mortgage) and you take that away from your monthly income. Then you have a number that you'd like to put into a savings account. That leaves you with an amount of your 'monthly disposable budget' that you have to spend on food, fuel and anything else you want to buy (games, clothes, books, going out etc). So on my spreadsheets I can forecast at the start of the month if there's anything extra I can put into my savings. Then at the end of the month, you can see if there's anything left over from your 'monthly disposable budget' to top up the savings account.

Yes, it's all exceedingly boring - but it lets you quickly know whether you can afford to make that impulse purchase - and what bearing it has on your savings, knowing that it's not going to impact the money you put aside for your fixed outgoings.

Plus, once you know how much money on average can go into a savings account, you can extrapolate that to see how you savings will grow in the coming months. Makes thing so much easier to gauge how long it would take to 'save up' for a big purchase.
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

II GTA FREEK II
Baller
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Sep 12, '17, 5:24am

Off Topic
I got paid every two weeks when I worked at Walmart. Just saying.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Sep 12, '17, 5:56am

Off Topic
vitzpatel wrote:I have a spreadsheet which keeps tracks of my finances - so much easier to help budgeting.

Oh man, me too, I love my finance spreadsheet. But I do it after all my expenses, to see if I'm spending a reasonable amount. I haven't had the need to do it before my expenses yet, I think I've found a good balance regarding saving/spending. I don't put money in my savings every month though, I wait until there's a decent amount and transfer it over

vitzpatel
Baller

Sep 12, '17, 6:10am

Eve Narlieth wrote:
Off Topic
vitzpatel wrote:I have a spreadsheet which keeps tracks of my finances - so much easier to help budgeting.

Oh man, me too, I love my finance spreadsheet. But I do it after all my expenses, to see if I'm spending a reasonable amount. I haven't had the need to do it before my expenses yet, I think I've found a good balance regarding saving/spending. I don't put money in my savings every month though, I wait until there's a decent amount and transfer it over

Off Topic
Yep, the savings account thing is less good now that the bank reduced the interest rate on it! I make peanuts off it now FuckOff Banks!

Bake1986
Unsung Hero

Sep 12, '17, 2:20pm

We typically have a takeaway on a Friday, mainly because we do our food shop on a Saturday and fresh food doesn't usually last longer than 5-6 days. Occasionally we have a second takeaway on the Saturday if there's a sporting event or we're seeing friends.

channelocho
Unsung Hero
PSN: ChannelOcho

Sep 12, '17, 8:27pm

I couldn't imagine only getting paid once a month. I have so many transfers coming in an out of my accounts that I would be stressed every month trying to ensure that all accounts have enough money in them to have automatic withdrawals done.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Sep 13, '17, 1:19am

I currently get paid weekly on a salary, and when I worked in the Education Department we got paid fortnightly. Monthly sounds insane!
► Show Spoiler

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Sep 13, '17, 2:10am

I've always been paid once a month. It's fascinating to see how people live around the globe.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sep 13, '17, 2:15am

BetoJR wrote:It's fascinating to see how people live around the globe.

Agreed. Its the little differences in things like how often you get paid are really interesting.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

Mavryk
Management
Management

Sep 13, '17, 2:21am

The_Redback wrote:

Agreed. Its the little differences in things like how often you get paid are really interesting.

Totally. It's not something I would even think to ask someone, yet the differences are fascinating.
► Show Spoiler

II GTA FREEK II
Baller

Sep 13, '17, 5:28am

The_Redback wrote:

That was the point of this thread I made, though it failed miserably. ThisIsFine

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11734

But that's the kind of differences I like finding out about.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

Bake1986
Unsung Hero

Sep 13, '17, 6:43am

channelocho wrote:I couldn't imagine only getting paid once a month. I have so many transfers coming in an out of my accounts that I would be stressed every month trying to ensure that all accounts have enough money in them to have automatic withdrawals done.

It's pretty easy to pay the bills because you can arrange for them to be collected just after pay day. I get paid 3 working days before the end of each month and most of my bills go out on the 1st of the following month. The hardest part is making the remainder last for the next 3 weeks, that's definitely the learning curve when you first start working.

I admittedly don't have a massive social circle but everyone I know gets paid monthly, it's very common here.

Me
Unsung Hero
XBL: MrADay
PSN: ADay000
NNID: MrADay
Steam: ADayOOO

Sep 13, '17, 8:05pm

I average around once every two weeks, but "once a week" is probably more accurate than "once a month" for me. I've been trying to cut down on it, but sometimes I either crave it, or it's the cheapest option in the food court at work...

vitzpatel
Baller

Sep 14, '17, 2:50am

Me wrote:it's the cheapest option in the food court at work...

On my recent visit to the US (Vegas), I was shocked at how cheap fast food was - and the portion size.

It's not like it's the same case in the UK too, fast food is cheap, but what stuck me was how cheap the upselling options were, and the quantities offered.

For example, we fancied getting a milkshake and some nuggets - and we we offered to double the quantity of nuggets (to 20) for just an extra 50c. That's crazy talk, who wants to eat 20 nuggets! We expected that was passed as a medium sized drink in the UK is a small in the US, but that's also down to the whole metric/imperial system.

The struggle is real when the 'bad' options are ridiculously cheap. Makes you think about the the volume they must be producing to afford the margin to offer such low low prices.

Me
Unsung Hero
XBL: MrADay
PSN: ADay000
NNID: MrADay
Steam: ADayOOO

Sep 14, '17, 12:22pm

vitzpatel wrote:On my recent visit to the US (Vegas), I was shocked at how cheap fast food was - and the portion size.

It's not like it's the same case in the UK too, fast food is cheap, but what stuck me was how cheap the upselling options were, and the quantities offered.

For example, we fancied getting a milkshake and some nuggets - and we we offered to double the quantity of nuggets (to 20) for just an extra 50c. That's crazy talk, who wants to eat 20 nuggets! We expected that was passed as a medium sized drink in the UK is a small in the US, but that's also down to the whole metric/imperial system.

The struggle is real when the 'bad' options are ridiculously cheap. Makes you think about the the volume they must be producing to afford the margin to offer such low low prices.

Yeah, there's a Jim Gaffigan bit (other comedians have made similar jokes) about fast food places saying "You can have a burger for $5, or 20 for a nickle!" (not a perfect quote here lol).

Fast food can get expensive, depending on how you order. If you go with any specialty items, combo meals, or ever order a soft drink, you usually end up spending about as much as you would at a decent restaurant. But if you're thrifty, you can get deals similar to your 20 piece nugget situation. I usually get two McDoubles for $2.50 and a medium fry. That's WAY too much food for me, but the total is about $4.50 and I can share with a friend. It's crazy.

II GTA FREEK II
Baller

Sep 14, '17, 1:21pm

Big Macs are delicious. SeemsGood

Arbys' curly fries are awesome. ThisIsFine

Checkers'/Rallys' fries are fucking amazing. Nickgasm

Chic fil a's nuggets are pretty good. portilloOMG

KFC has some bomb ass potato wedges. The chicken is also good obviously. portilloDismissed

Burger Kings onion rings are on point. portilloPure1

Wendy's is good overall. portilloShu

And everything from Taco Bell sucks. FuckOff

Return to “General Discussion”