GregB
Baller

Re: Spider-man: Homecoming | Discussion

Jul 12, '17, 12:35pm

MannySJ wrote:Personally, I'm glad they moved away from MJ and Gwen. They needed to be different than the other two series, so why go back to the same well if they had other options available to them? After all, this Peter is just a sophomore. Relationships at that point in high school aren't exactly true love (typically) anyway, so why not let him play the field for a bit? We'll probably see Gwen and/or Mary Jane at some point in this series when they're ready to give Peter a real relationship.

Yeah, I was fine with Peter's character development in this without the serious relationship jazz we've seen in the last 2 iterations. In it's place, the whole academic decathlon group as a whole really impressed me with all the awkward teenager stuff. The Ned character in particular was great. Plus it's rare to get a Marvel movie where the villain actually has a fleshed out story arc and an interesting relationship with the hero. Homecoming delivered on that front too.

II GTA FREEK II
Baller
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Jul 16, '17, 9:09pm

MR PAPPAGIORGIO wrote:All that said, I have no basis for Spider-Man outside of movies as I didn't grow up reading comics so basically that nullifies my opinion :p hahah

Same here. I never read comics, and don't plan on ever reading comics. So when a new superhero movie comes out I have almost nothing to compare it to, and that's great. That means I don't have to worry about them getting certain things right. I don't have to sit there and be upset about something because "that's not the character", or "that's not how this should be".

I'm not saying everyone else is an annoying prick who should get over it. I'm saying that I get to just sit down and watch a movie. I've been like that in my own way when a book I've read gets turned into a movie. They almost never do it in a way that satisfies me. I can't help but make comparisons, so I get that whole thing. I've just learned to dislike being that way because it gets in the way of simply enjoying something. So since I have no basis or expectations for characters, I get to just enjoy what's happening and judge it as a movie, not a adaptation of something.

Also I really enjoyed this movie as well. Definitely a higher note than the last 2 marvel movies for me.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

MR PAPPAGIORGIO
Pure One
XBL: MR PAPPAG1ORG1O
PSN: tHeRk1981

Jul 17, '17, 8:07pm

II GTA FREEK II wrote:
MR PAPPAGIORGIO wrote:All that said, I have no basis for Spider-Man outside of movies as I didn't grow up reading comics so basically that nullifies my opinion :p hahah

Same here. I never read comics, and don't plan on ever reading comics. So when a new superhero movie comes out I have almost nothing to compare it to, and that's great. That means I don't have to worry about them getting certain things right. I don't have to sit there and be upset about something because "that's not the character", or "that's not how this should be".

You bring up a great point here, and I never really thought about it that way and I definitely will going forward, although I never go into super heroe movies with any expectations other than no matter what it will at least be a good popcorn flick.

It does kind of suck to have a level of love and passion for something and be let down by your own unrealistic expectations. Take episode VII for instance, I walked out of the theatre and was like, really? They just remade the original. So disappointing. Don't get me wrong, its a good enough and fun enough movie but when your expectations are super high and you get something vastly different than what you expected, in a bad way, it just sucks.

I put a dollar in, I got a car.
I put a dollar in, I got a car!

II GTA FREEK II
Baller

Jul 17, '17, 8:32pm

MR PAPPAGIORGIO wrote:It does kind of suck to have a level of love and passion for something and be let down by your own unrealistic expectations. Take episode VII for instance, I walked out of the theatre and was like, really? They just remade the original. So disappointing. Don't get me wrong, its a good enough and fun enough movie but when your expectations are super high and you get something vastly different than what you expected, in a bad way, it just sucks.

And see I'm on the complete opposite side. I went into episode 7 having never seen a Star Wars movie before, just small bits here and there. I knew certain characters and other info that you just pick up while being alive. I came out of the theater happy as hell, I loved it.

So yeah, having expectations can dramatically change your experience.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

MR PAPPAGIORGIO
Pure One
XBL: MR PAPPAG1ORG1O
PSN: tHeRk1981

Jul 17, '17, 9:06pm

II GTA FREEK II wrote:
MR PAPPAGIORGIO wrote:It does kind of suck to have a level of love and passion for something and be let down by your own unrealistic expectations. Take episode VII for instance, I walked out of the theatre and was like, really? They just remade the original. So disappointing. Don't get me wrong, its a good enough and fun enough movie but when your expectations are super high and you get something vastly different than what you expected, in a bad way, it just sucks.

And see I'm on the complete opposite side. I went into episode 7 having never seen a Star Wars movie before, just small bits here and there. I knew certain characters and other info that you just pick up while being alive. I came out of the theater happy as hell, I loved it.

So yeah, having expectations can dramatically change your experience.

Time to que up the "Lowered Expectations" jingle from Mad Tv. Hahaha

I put a dollar in, I got a car!

britishbeacon
Best Friend
PSN: jahoadley

Jul 18, '17, 7:29am

If an actor can pull this off, doing this in a lip sync battle, then Spiderman is a breeze. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i5DEipIWh4

II GTA FREEK II
Baller

Spider-man: Homecoming | Discussion

Jul 18, '17, 8:07pm

Also I really liked the design of Vulture. His costume is freaking cool as hell. I kind of want a nice figure of him on my shelf.

cosmicicecream
Pure One
PSN: cosmicicecream

Jul 31, '17, 12:26am

II GTA FREEK II wrote:Also I really liked the design of Vulture. His costume is freaking cool as hell. I kind of want a nice figure of him on my shelf.

Yeah I really liked him too. At first I thought another villain in a mechanical suit, but he is scary and it is mostly the human site that makes the vulture a good villain.
Saw the movie twice now in cinema and I really love it all together.

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jul 31, '17, 2:54am

cosmicicecream wrote:Yeah I really liked him too. At first I thought another villain in a mechanical suit, but he is scary and it is mostly the human site that makes the vulture a good villain.

Indeed, he's one of the better villains in the MCU.
► Show Spoiler

BedaHouse
Seducer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Jul 31, '17, 7:56am

Mavryk wrote:
cosmicicecream wrote:Yeah I really liked him too. At first I thought another villain in a mechanical suit, but he is scary and it is mostly the human site that makes the vulture a good villain.

Indeed, he's one of the better villains in the MCU.

AND they...
► Show Spoiler
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

Jul 31, '17, 8:13am

This is, imo, hands down the best Spider-man/Peter we've gotten which gives us the best Spidey movie.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Aug 01, '17, 10:38am

Posted my thoughts in the Rate the Last Movie You Watched thread, but I really loved this movie. Tom Holland is by far the best Spider-Man, hands down. I too also really enjoyed the Vulture's character. He hasn't always been my favorite MCU villain, but they made his story interesting.

My one gripe with the movie, something I drew umbrage with:
► Show Spoiler

MannySJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Aug 01, '17, 12:49pm

nicktorious_BLT wrote:[...] My one gripe with the movie, something I drew umbrage with:
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Aug 01, '17, 2:17pm

MannySJ wrote:
nicktorious_BLT wrote:[...] My one gripe with the movie, something I drew umbrage with:
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

I don't think it is. If you were Shield do you want it getting out that people are stealing from you and constantly getting away with it or do you just let it go as its not causing that much trouble for you?

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Aug 01, '17, 8:45pm

Chaz wrote:
MannySJ wrote:
► Show Spoiler

I don't think it is. If you were Shield do you want it getting out that people are stealing from you and constantly getting away with it or do you just let it go as its not causing that much trouble for you?

► Show Spoiler

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Aug 02, '17, 4:36am

nicktorious_BLT wrote:
Chaz wrote:
MannySJ wrote:
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

I mean Ahield sucks at their job haha. It's too low level to bring in the Avengers like Tony said so without involving them I don't see Shield getting anything done haha. Hell they were basically Hudra a few years prior so whose to say Hydra even cared if criminals got their hands on it.

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Aug 02, '17, 6:00pm

And SHIELD itself was pretty much disabled after Winter Soldier, so... you can't really count on them very much until recently, I guess. Not really, only splinter groups, like Coulson's.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Aug 04, '17, 9:11am

This is all true. You'd just think someone at SHIELD would be smart enough to catch on. But anyway, I digress...

Still enjoyed the movie a ton haha!

Return to “Movies”