gort25
Pure One
Steam: Roach

Kinda Funny Community Movie of the Week 1: Inglorious Basterds

Aug 11, '17, 1:28pm

The first movie is indeed Inglorious Basterds. Hope you all enjoy the film.

Link to the Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindafunny/com ... he_week_1/
Last edited by gort25 on Aug 11, '17, 4:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Re: Kinda Funny Community Movie of the Week 1: Inglorious Basterds

Aug 11, '17, 3:38pm

Quick question: should we really bother with spoiler warnings over posts on a thread specific for watching a particular movie?

gort25
Pure One

Aug 11, '17, 4:46pm

That is a fair point. I retract the statement about spoilers. SeemsGood

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Aug 11, '17, 4:55pm

Good Work, If I have time I'll rewatch this film

I need to watching it the first time I was not impressed but watching clips thinking it's better than I first thought

Also for fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvtOY0YrF-g

GregB
Baller

Aug 11, '17, 5:33pm

Whenever this movie comes up I always have to mention that Melanie Laurent deserves more credit for this. She is just as incredible as Waltz is. That scene they have together over the strudel with her trying to hide all the anxiety and fear on her face is just the best.

gort25
Pure One

Aug 12, '17, 10:47am

I concur! While Waltz's performance was certainly very memorable and fun in a sinister way, her performance was far more nuanced. The scene you mentioned was very well performed by both parties, but Laurent seemed like a complete character more effected by the events of the story. But I think that may just be the writing.

Also speaking of strudel, this is how you make it like in the movie:

https://youtu.be/7H3z3J50XCs

Spoiler: It's pretty complicated.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Aug 13, '17, 6:09pm

It's awesome to see that this is a thing! I'll sticky the new topics every week so that people can see them easier! I'm looking forward to watching this for the first time!

By the way, I like the image/write-up that you made. Looks well done. SeemsGood

roe617
Portillo's Mouth Noises
XBL: roe617
PSN: roe617
NNID: roe617

Aug 14, '17, 1:26pm

This is a really good idea. I'm not a huge movie guy so this could be a decent way to try out some classics that I haven't seen. I've already seen this (ironically) but always enjoy watching Tarantino films back.

gooseysoucy
Shadow Boxer
XBL: gooseysoucy

Aug 14, '17, 8:01pm

"I think this just might be my masterpiece!"- Lt Aldo Raine

Some have used this closing line of the film to sum up how they feel about Tarantino’s WWII flick but I wouldn’t. His love for films has always been seen in his work and with Basterds, he literally pulls us into a cinema for what is yes, a beautiful and harrowing finale, that looks like it has the makings of a classic, but there are annoyances along the way that, sadly for me, keep it from feeling like a classic.

Chief among them is how, again going back to his love of film, his homages are so apparent and even annoying at times. We don’t need Samuel L Jackson narrating the physical characteristics of old nitrate film. We didn’t need that big, yellow, cheesy 1970’s font to introduce characters. It feels out of place when he uses spaghetti western music, especially when it was used in Kill Bill too. It goes on and yes his style is unlike anything else in mainstream/modern cinema, but that doesn’t mean it’s always enjoyable.

Now in spite of those issues I have with it, there are some qualities that leave a lasting mark even after you’ve put the movie away. One high compliment that I almost always have with his movies is that, the man knows how to write and how to guide actors. The opening is a beautiful example of what I’m saying. When Tarantino isn’t joking with us with humorous, out of place text (once upon a time… in Nazi occupied France.), he’s building suspense right from the start. Waltz is introduced and he plays an amazing villain. Amazing in that he’s cunning in small doses while being incredible friendly and hospitable to the man of the house. I was impressed, seeing this a second time in some years, how the dialogue and subtle gestures add to an increasing pile of suspense that starts from the smallest details. By the end of it you feel saddened and moved, even though you knew how it would turn out. Same way with the much longer, but still suspenful tavern sequence. This might be a rare case where everything leading up the climax is much more riveting than the fallout itself.

Performances are stellar, writing is superb, the action is almost always hard hitting and I love it when it all comes together when QT is playing straight with us. When he’s playing around like when he’s changing the opening credit font 3 times, that’s when I don’t care.
Last edited by gooseysoucy on Aug 15, '17, 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Aug 14, '17, 8:29pm

Watched this for the first time last night and holy hell I enjoyed it a ton. I've always liked Tarantino's movies but this might be my favorite one...up there with Pulp Fiction. Everything about this movie works very well, including the style and the writing. Especially the writing. I watched that video about how Tarantino tackled suspense and it hits on some very good points. Tarantino makes even some of the longer scenes suspenseful all the way through. It's amazing to be honest. My favorite scenes in this movie were not the almost comical action sequences, but the dialog between the movie's characters. Every confrontation or conversation between the characters had some form of suspense at play. The tavern sequence might have been my favorite scene from that movie. Man it's great.

The style in this movie is vintage Tarantino. Like gooseysoucy said above, not all of the stylistic choices match with the tone of the film, but for the most part I was pretty pleased with what I was watching. The action sequences were very well done with some boss cinematography. Going back to the tavern scene again, the shootout that takes place at the bookend of that scene was beautifully done.

Finally, I was also pretty impressed with the foreign languages that a lot of these actors and actresses used during the movie. I'm not sure if these actors/actresses were fluent in French or German before this movie, but if they weren't then they did a pretty good job at learning those languages for the movie. (or at least learning how to pronounce their specific lines) I can only imagine the amount of work that required. Pretty cool stuff.

gort25
Pure One

Aug 14, '17, 11:16pm

To me even though, this film is a very slow burn, it is good because it's satisfying in a meaningful way. It has flaws as has been mentioned and suffers a bit from some Tarantino-ism but I think it stands up today because it does something a lot of films fail at. It's funny and dramatic, and dances the line of both without cheapening either too much. The nuance of the drama and so on is great, but you keep watching because Brad Pitt talks about fighting in basements. I love Aldo Raine. I love how everyone tries to be smart with him, but he just doesn't bother. That's kind of what I think Tarantino is great at, he can propel a drama with action and humor, but it all gets tied up in a bow at the end. This film isn't the greatest of all time or anything, but I think it's a good middle ground of Tarantino's work. It's not primarily action like Kill Bill or primarily drama like the Hateful 8. I think Django: Unchained would have been a more fun one to do, but alas, it's not Netflix.

GregB
Baller

Aug 15, '17, 5:20am

gort25 wrote:To me even though, this film is a very slow burn, it is good because it's satisfying in a meaningful way. It has flaws as has been mentioned and suffers a bit from some Tarantino-ism but I think it stands up today because it does something a lot of films fail at. It's funny and dramatic, and dances the line of both without cheapening either too much. The nuance of the drama and so on is great, but you keep watching because Brad Pitt talks about fighting in basements. I love Aldo Raine. I love how everyone tries to be smart with him, but he just doesn't bother. That's kind of what I think Tarantino is great at, he can propel a drama with action and humor, but it all gets tied up in a bow at the end. This film isn't the greatest of all time or anything, but I think it's a good middle ground of Tarantino's work. It's not primarily action like Kill Bill or primarily drama like the Hateful 8. I think Django: Unchained would have been a more fun one to do, but alas, it's not Netflix.

A lot of what you and Goosey are saying is why I think it is one of Tarantino's best and belongs in his upper echelon. (would be in my top 3) It does everything he is known for very well. A lot of the great dialogue is fun as always, but also more dramatic, interesting and tied to the plot. It ain't just Madonna songs and Royales with Cheese (no disrespect to those great scripts though, they're basically just fun character building speeches. Those 2 examples are from the other 2 films in my top 3 for other reasons). Those dialogue moments and the performances that go with them combined with the action and humor and interesting tone and style for a WWII movie really make Inglorious Basterds stand out for me.

I really loved the choice of music, I thought it worked a lot better here than it did in Kill Bill. Hell, I think it works better in this European set war movie than it does in American set westerns. Maybe that's because I associate Spaghetti soundtracks with the Italian composers more than anything.I was more into avante garde music and modern composers and such for a long time before getting more interested in film. I also love how Morricone's soundtrack for The Hateful Eight was almost more Italian horror/thriller than traditional spaghetti western (a well deserved Oscar win).

Return to “Movies”