nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Post the last movie you watched

Sep 30, '17, 9:30pm

Across the Universe - 6/10
Full thoughts in the movie of the week thread.

The Notorious Bettie Page - 7/10
This relatively short and breezy biopic was an intriguing look at the life of famous pin-up model Bettie Page, who took the 1950's by storm with her iconic looks and knack for unusual photos that would go on to serve a niche audience. She was considered the Queen of Pinups. In this film she is played by Gretchen Mol who does a great job at breathing life into the famous figure. We see during her more innocent days in Tennessee all the way to her modeling days in New York, and finally during the aftermath of her career, where she rediscovers religion and a new purpose. The story is pretty cut-and-dry which can be attributed to the source material. It's all very true-to-life, but that doesn't always make for a great movie. What really makes this film shine is the black-and-white photography reminiscent of the 50's, including little touches of detail like classic fades and dissolves between scenes. The cinematography does a fantastic service to the film and it's subject. The music and costume design is also very well done, making this an excellent period piece.

ValkyrieX
Unsung Hero
PSN: ValkyrieX

Oct 02, '17, 8:20pm

Inferno - 6/10

Wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, given the terrible reviews. I actually found the film pretty enjoyable and compelling. I've always liked the globe-trotting cat and mouse chases of the Robert Langdon films. This movie was no different, though the editing was sub-par and some of the dialogues very amateurish. I also found the romantic subplot completely unnecessary. I understand they wanted to give Langdon's character more substance, but it wasn't convincing and it felt forced. The plot is serviceable and there were a couple twists that were quite good.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Oct 02, '17, 10:13pm

mother! - 9/10
Oh man...where do I begin with this one. Darren Aronofsky has made some artsy and opaque films before, but mother! has to be most artsy and most opaque film he has made to date. It stars a couple, played by Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem, living in a big beautiful home in what seems to be the middle of nowhere. It's almost immediately apparent that something is up with this house. Something is peculiar and that's what makes the first half of the film so unsettling. The first half shows off the emotions that Lawrence's character goes through when random strangers make themselves at home in their house. They break social norms. They invade her personal space. It's unnerving watching the events that take place. You begin to feel that something is about to pop off.

Boy oh boy does shit pop off. The second half of the movie is off-the-walls, bat-shit crazy. It's a flaming locomotive train that begins to derail, hurdling into a forest where it proceeds to catch the trees on fire, taking the entire forest down with it. There is so much going on in the film's second half that it starts to become hard to follow at times. However, what's taking place on screen is so brilliantly shot that it becomes hard to look away at the distressing events that are taking place inside the home. It all surmounts to an explosive finish that leaves you staring at the screen, partly wondering what the hell just happened.

How the film is interpreted depends on who you talk to. Some say it's a religious allegory (that's the conclusion I came to) while some say it's a study of what it's like to live with a genius. Those are just two takeaways from what happens to be a very perplexing film. It's full of smart imagery and top-notch acting. It's a film that will make you think...which very well might be a turn off for some. I'll admit that I don't know exactly what took place, but I think I have a good understanding of the story that Aronofsky was trying to tell. (But then again, he's said in interviews that the movie is about climate change....so who the fuck really knows...) If you are not a fan of Aronofsky's past work, then this will be a slippery slope for you. It's not a film that will gel with everyone. Given it's bad CinemaScore, it also wasn't marketed the right way either.

Anyhow, this is by far one of the most unique, unsettling, and curious films I have seen all year. It's crazy in the most fucked-up ways.

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Re: Post the last movie you watched

Oct 03, '17, 5:18pm

Lifeforce - 5/5 Tobe Hooper at his best right here. In a crazy ass sci-fi horror action kinda way. Damn movie is bat shit crazy.

Gerald's Game - 5/5 great adaptation of Stephen Kings book of the same name. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

(My scores on movie very. I'll give a b-movie the same as an a-movie.)
Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

BedaHouse
Seducer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Oct 04, '17, 9:19am

Wonder Woman 9/10.

Yeah, I'm late to the game but I really enjoyed it. I thought it was well executed, I thought that the only thing that kind of ruined it was the final fight was too much CGI, but overall -- I thought it was the best DC movie to date.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Oct 04, '17, 9:29am

BedaHouse wrote:Wonder Woman 9/10.

Yeah, I'm late to the game but I really enjoyed it. I thought it was well executed, I thought that the only thing that kind of ruined it was the final fight was too much CGI, but overall -- I thought it was the best DC movie to date.

Right there with you, mate (when we're talking about DCEU movies, at least). SeemsGood

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Oct 04, '17, 9:44am

Train to Busan: 8/10

Holy shit, I really enjoyed this movie. Really interesting take on zombie movies from Korea about a group of people stuck on a highspeed train infested with zombies while the world around them is engulfed in the zombie horde. Very tense moments at several points where characters had to traverse zombie infested passenger cars. Also surprisingly emotional bits between the main character and his daughter who he's hellbent on protecting even though at the start, the two were emotionally distant due to his work first personality.

Overall, I'd recommend this to anyone who likes zombie movies. Its not super scary and not super gory though there are blood splatters and smears when the zombies chomp down on victims but overall, definitely give this a shot.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

Lord_Duncho
Unsung Hero
PSN: Lord_Duncho

Oct 04, '17, 11:33am

Let's Play Two - 9.5/10.. FUCKING AWESOME. kind of a specialty sports/music documentary.

This is a Pearl Jam concert film from their Wrigley Field 2016 shows, set to the backdrop of Chicago during the rise of the Cubs to eventually winning the World Series. Interviews with the band, Chicago residents, Cubs management, and 1991 footage from their first show in Chicago ever (apparently Eddie Vedder grew up in Chi-town). If you like Pearl Jam or baseball, it's a must-see. If you like both, then prepare for multiple orgasms.
"...fuck it dude, let's go bowling."

Marrix
Pure One
PSN: SoleGunslinger

Oct 04, '17, 12:41pm

IT (2017) - 7/10
Check out my gamer/geek blog! Go to my Twitter or Facebook page and Like/Follow if you like it!
http://www.marrixsbag.com

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Oct 04, '17, 12:58pm

Lord_Duncho wrote:Let's Play Two - 9.5/10.. FUCKING AWESOME. kind of a specialty sports/music documentary.

This is a Pearl Jam concert film from their Wrigley Field 2016 shows, set to the backdrop of Chicago during the rise of the Cubs to eventually winning the World Series. Interviews with the band, Chicago residents, Cubs management, and 1991 footage from their first show in Chicago ever (apparently Eddie Vedder grew up in Chi-town). If you like Pearl Jam or baseball, it's a must-see. If you like both, then prepare for multiple orgasms.

Well I own their last documentary, plus all their albums with about ten of their official bootlegs. Might as well watch this one to... kinda of a fan.
Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Oct 04, '17, 10:19pm

Brokeback Mountain - 8/10
Few love stories are as bold or revolutionary as the one told in Brokeback Mountain, a tale about two cowboys, Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar (played by Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger respectively), who end up finding love working as sheep herdsman on the titular Brokeback Mountain. What makes this relationship complicated, however, is that both men are in relationships of their own. It's a fascinating tale of love, which goes about the way you would expect it to go. There aren't too many surprises here (besides a major revelation at the end) which makes the story a little disappointing. I enjoyed it, but it was a little too predictable. What really puts this movie in the spotlight are its performances from its two leading men. Gyllenhaal delivers a great performance, but it's really Heath Ledger's performance that really shines. His character is more complex and interesting, making his character arch through the movie a tad more gripping. This isn't your typical love story and it isn't your typical western. That's what makes this movie special to a lot of people.

Battle of the Sexes - 8/10
The battle of the ages. The famed 1973 tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobbie Riggs. We all know the outcome (spoiler: King wins) but its the backstory and the surrounding hullabaloo that really makes the story fascinating. Emma Stone plays the forward-pushing Billie Jean King. She lands perfectly into the shoes of the famous tennis player and gives a solid performance. On the other hand there's Steve Carrell who seems to be perfect for the role of Bobbie Riggs. He's a clown and a hustler and Carrell portrayed the athlete's camera-ready personality beautifully. The film is the definition of a crowd-pleaser in almost every way. The film's narrative deliberately sets the match up in such a way that it almost makes it impossible for you to not be pleased with the outcome. It's almost in-your-face at times. (So many distressed chauvinistic men...so many it was almost comical) Contrary to what you might think however, the movie chose to focus more on King's character than the actual match itself...which I think works to its benefit. We get a glimpse at King's personal life, including her relationship with her hairdresser (played by Andrea Riseborough) and her exploration of her sexuality. We also get some glimpses at Riggs' backstory, but it pales in comparison to King's story. Although the film's finale is of no surprise to anyone, its the journey to get to the finale that really takes the spotlight.

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Oct 05, '17, 10:50am

nicktorious_BLT wrote:
Battle of the Sexes - 8/10

Mannnnn I forgot about this one. I didn't even know it was in theaters. I'll have to track this one down after I see Blade Runner tonight.

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Oct 06, '17, 6:07am

Blade Runner 2049: 8.5/10

I honestly had doubts about this movie being good. I mean, its a big budget, special effects laden spectacle of a sequel to a 20+ year old critically revered movie that for all intents and purposes, didn't need a sequel. Man, I was wrong. This movie was great, spectacular even. It definitely felt like a worthy successor to the original. While I hesitate to say its better than the original in all aspects, in certain parts, I do feel I enjoyed 2049 more than the original. I will say though for anyone planning to see this, try to avoid spoilers at all costs. There are definite points in the movie where the payoff would have been muted if I had known about them beforehand.

This is definitely something I want to see again just to get a better grasp of the nuances of the story and think harder about the messages within it but you neednt worry about the film's overall quality. It's worth seeing and is definitely among the year's best.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

GregB
Baller

Oct 06, '17, 9:24am

Blade Runner 2049

Everything to do with the production side of things is just beyond perfect. The set design/art direction, cinematography, sound and music, etc... Incredibly impressive. Every outdoor shot or shot at Wallace's headquarters especially is a fucking masterpiece of art. Every minor character is interesting or has some quirk about them. Even just some dude behind the desk at Wallace's company. Like the original, you really get the sense that this world is just so much bigger and deeper than the actual plot the characters are dealing with. And about that plot, the only thing you need to know is that Ryan Gosling is a Blade Runner working on a mystery. Any more than that and you are probably getting into spoilers that are best experienced on screen.

SonofMar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SonofMar

Oct 08, '17, 10:46pm

Echoing Greg and errobody else about Blade Runner 2049

So damn amazing. I loved every minute of it. Grant it, huge fan of the original (my dad raised me "right", pending your definition of right). But the direction, acting, music, everything was amazing. I will be seeing it again I think in XD and hopefully 3D or whatever I can find around here. I do hope this does well enough in the other markets and picks up here in the States to at least bring in a minor profit, because I would love to see Blade Runner continue it's world and direction.

II GTA FREEK II
Baller
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Oct 10, '17, 7:03pm

Baby Driver

Not quite the masterpiece I wanted it to be, but still a pretty enjoyable movie. Would have liked to have had less downtime between the fun moments, but even the down time was mostly enjoyable.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

why2bee
Unsung Hero
PSN: why2bee

Oct 11, '17, 5:20am

I watched the original Blade Runner last night on cable so I'm guessing it was the standard cut. It was fine. I could see why in 1982 it would be a sci-fi masterpiece, but it obviously looked dated. Interesting to see all the actors that went on to do some other things. Only thing I couldn't get past was, why was Roy in his underwear at the end?

II GTA FREEK II
Baller

Oct 11, '17, 7:16am

why2bee wrote: Only thing I couldn't get past was, why was Roy in his underwear at the end?

I think I read something where someone talked about how he was overheating due to his fast approaching death. Though I'm not sure that really makes any sense.

Stuff I never understood was why was the chick doing back flips towards Deckard? Why did she land on his shoulders like that? Why did the guy burst his head through the wall? That whole ending was full of complete nonsense that felt dumb and weird to me. I'll never understand the love that movie gets. But I like Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull, so I'm sure my opinion of Blade Runner is invalid to some people.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

why2bee
Unsung Hero
PSN: why2bee

Oct 12, '17, 9:54am

II GTA FREEK II wrote:
why2bee wrote: Only thing I couldn't get past was, why was Roy in his underwear at the end?

I think I read something where someone talked about how he was overheating due to his fast approaching death. Though I'm not sure that really makes any sense.

Stuff I never understood was why was the chick doing back flips towards Deckard? Why did she land on his shoulders like that? Why did the guy burst his head through the wall? That whole ending was full of complete nonsense that felt dumb and weird to me. I'll never understand the love that movie gets. But I like Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull, so I'm sure my opinion of Blade Runner is invalid to some people.

That's probably where the whole "you need to see the definitive directors cut" argument comes in to play. Still, i'd like to see the new one when it comes to ondemand or redbox.

II GTA FREEK II
Baller

Oct 12, '17, 10:27am

why2bee wrote:That's probably where the whole "you need to see the definitive directors cut" argument comes in to play. Still, i'd like to see the new one when it comes to ondemand or redbox.

Something tells me there's nothing in that version that would really change anything for me. I'm also going to check out the new one when it's available to rent. It's mostly curiosity, I have little hope that'll wow me at all.

Return to “Movies”