Baby Driver?

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Post the last movie you watched

Jan 10, '18, 7:57pm

Star Wars The Last Jedi

I FINALLY got to see this movie. The short version is I liked it, but I have issues with it. I liked episode 7 more. Full thoughts in its respective thread.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Re: Post the last movie you watched

Jan 12, '18, 4:56am

Iron Man 2 - 4/5 good shit
Iron Man 3 - 2/5 bad shit

Edit

A Silent Voice - 5/5 I enjoyed this more than Your Name and I really liked Your Name.

Brawl In Cell Block 99 - 5/5 good lord this movie is fucking violent. It's directed by the guy who did Bone Tomahawk. If you enjoyed Tomahawk you'll definitely enjoy this.
We don’t go balls to the wall, we go nuts to butts.

MONKDev
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Jan 14, '18, 5:30am

Star Wars 8, a 6/10 shit . And for that I waited 2 years ?

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Jan 15, '18, 6:52pm

Dave Chappelle: Equanimity - 7/10
This is about as safe as a Dave Chappelle special you can get. This comedy special is vintage Chappelle. He provides not only the laughs, but his social commentary as well. This time around he addresses the likes of Donald Trump as well as transgenders. Some of his humor might be off-putting to some, but as Chappelle would be the first point out, he could care less. He has a running bit in this special where he warns the crowd about a recurring punchline that will come up when you least expect it. It's not the funniest thing in the world but it still manages to be hilarious. This will most likely be a forgettable piece of comedy, but it's completely serviceable.

The Battered Bastards of Baseball - 9/10
This was an absolutely fascinating documentary about Bing Russell and how he brought independent baseball back to Portland through the Single-A team, the Portland Mavericks. It's incredible what Russell was able to do not only for the town of Portland and it's baseball team, but baseball in general. It's a story that is pretty unknown in the grand scheme of things, but it had huge implications in baseball history. The documentary was very well done, with interviews from some of the players as well as the managers and other people involved with the Mavericks. I didn't realize how much Kurt Russell had to do with this story, which was pretty neat as well. Turns out the Mavericks were an important piece of his life. I would wholeheartedly recommend this documentary to any fan of sports, especially baseball.

Lord_Duncho
Producer
PSN: Lord_Duncho

Jan 16, '18, 10:28am

The Post - 7/10. A very compelling story, but the acting was mediocre for some reason which really detracted and made it hard for me to take the movie very seriously. Hardly the best performances by Tom Hanks and Merril Streep. In fact, the latter was just annoying. A plot this good could've been shot much better.
"...fuck it dude, let's go bowling."

GregB
Baller

Jan 16, '18, 2:53pm

nicktorious_BLT wrote:The Battered Bastards of Baseball - 9/10
This was an absolutely fascinating documentary about Bing Russell and how he brought independent baseball back to Portland through the Single-A team, the Portland Mavericks. It's incredible what Russell was able to do not only for the town of Portland and it's baseball team, but baseball in general. It's a story that is pretty unknown in the grand scheme of things, but it had huge implications in baseball history. The documentary was very well done, with interviews from some of the players as well as the managers and other people involved with the Mavericks. I didn't realize how much Kurt Russell had to do with this story, which was pretty neat as well. Turns out the Mavericks were an important piece of his life. I would wholeheartedly recommend this documentary to any fan of sports, especially baseball.

Yes, this is one of my favourite documentaries. The tidbit about one of the players inventing Big League Chew in his kitchen with the help of the bat boy who went on to become one of the storm chasers in Twister and an Oscar nominated filmmaker is an amazing piece of trivia.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jan 16, '18, 3:03pm

GregB wrote:Yes, this is one of my favourite documentaries. The tidbit about one of the players inventing Big League Chew in his kitchen with the help of the bat boy who went on to become one of the storm chasers in Twister and an Oscar nominated filmmaker is an amazing piece of trivia.

Yeah and they kind of just threw that bit at the end. Like it was a crazy piece of history that they just put at the tail end of the thing. It was really cool!

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums

Jan 17, '18, 7:53pm

Blade Runner 2049

I’m surprised I liked this movie considering how much I didn’t like the original. I had a feeling it would be too similar to the original. In a lot of ways it was, but 2049 managed to do everything in a way so that I was interested. It still did some things I didn’t care for, but overall I enjoyed it. It had a well crafted story, and a good tie in to the original without feeling forced.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jan 18, '18, 8:29am

Happy Death Day - 8/10
So picture Groundhog Day but instead of going to sleep and reliving the same day again you get killed and have to relive the same day again. That's the fate of Tree (no, this is a person, not a piece of nature), a college student forced to relive her birthday over and over again until she figures out who's killing her and puts a stop to the madness. There's absolutely no denying the movie's inspiration and where it lies (the movie straight up makes a reference to Groundhog Day towards the end) but that doesn't make the concept any less interesting. In fact, one might argue it's a little more intriguing of a setup.

Tree is played by somewhat newcomer Jessica Rothe (you might recognize her from La La Land) and her performance is quite good. She embraces every second of the movie's madness and rolls with it. Her character, through living the same day over and over again, finds out more about herself and makes some life changes that moves her from being an irredeemable victim to a lovable survivor. Let's also not forget the performance of Israel Broussard, who plays Tree's unlikely love interest. He's the movie's bit of comic relief who, most of the time, is unknowingly helping Tree in her mission to find her killer. Some of the other performances come off as a little too cheesy and some are kind of bad...but Rothe and Broussard alone carry the movie swimmingly.

The concept of this movie is kind of silly in general, but it's a fun and interesting one that manages to captivate. Does the movie get repetitive? No it doesn't, quite surprisingly. That's the danger when you start treading into Groundhog Day territory but Happy Death Day manages to carry a comfortable pace that doesn't get caught up over any repetitive pitfalls. This isn't really a scary movie, so don't let the creepy killer masks or brutal killings fool you into thinking otherwise. Happy Death Day was a movie I was fully expecting to be a C-tier cheesy horror flick...but surprisingly I came out of the movie with a smile on my face...because it was actually kind of good.

The Good Sir
Pure One
PSN: The_Good_Sir

Jan 18, '18, 11:00am

INSIDIOUS: The Last Key

- Overall better than I expected, probably my second favorite movie in the franchise (behind the first of course). It was another prequel though, so I'm really curious to see if there is anyway for them to move the franchise forward, or if this was it. Overall had some good scares, and a twist in the middle that was slightly unexpected. Recommended for anyone who is a fan of the franchise, otherwise you can skip it. 6/10.

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Jan 18, '18, 11:07am

Over the past 3 days I've rewatched the extended cuts of the LOTR trilogy for the 1st time in 4 or 5 years. And they remain absolutely outstanding films. These were the films of my youth. I watched all 3 in the cinema at least 3 times.

Fellowship is just outstanding, especially the 1st 30 minutes in the way it sets up the world, the characters and the ring.

Two Towers was and remains my favourite of the 3, even though the extended footage in that film is the most unnecessary of all 3 films.

Aragorn's speech in the ROTK still gets the hairs on my arms standing up and is the best inspirational speech I've ever seen in a film. The scenes after the ring is destroyed are still cheesy as fuck, but the film earned the right to be 10 times cheesier if it wanted to be.

The bonds and friendships between the Fellowship is what I love most about these films (along with Gollum). It made me care so, so much.

Gollum. He was lauded when the films released, and is still one of the greatest characters in film history for me. Funny, tragic, sad, and scary.

The CGI work date the films quite markedly but is mostly tastefully implemented. ROTK has the most obvious examples of dated CGI, which is odd considering it's the most recent of the films. But I read Viggo Mortenson somewhere years ago being quite critical of ROTK because he thought Peter Jackson went OTT in his use of CGI. But Gollum's CGI holds up and remains a work of absolute genius.

One day they'll remake these films and I'm totally down for that, but these films have set such an unbelievably high bar. It'll be a daunting challenge for any filmmaker.

Epic film making at its best. Absolutely a 10/10 for all 3 films.

The Good Sir
Pure One
PSN: The_Good_Sir

Jan 18, '18, 11:10am

nicktorious_BLT wrote:Happy Death Day - 8/10
So picture Groundhog Day but instead of going to sleep and reliving the same day again you get killed and have to relive the same day again. That's the fate of Tree (no, this is a person, not a piece of nature), a college student forced to relive her birthday over and over again until she figures out who's killing her and puts a stop to the madness. There's absolutely no denying the movie's inspiration and where it lies (the movie straight up makes a reference to Groundhog Day towards the end) but that doesn't make the concept any less interesting. In fact, one might argue it's a little more intriguing of a setup.

Tree is played by somewhat newcomer Jessica Rothe (you might recognize her from La La Land) and her performance is quite good. She embraces every second of the movie's madness and rolls with it. Her character, through living the same day over and over again, finds out more about herself and makes some life changes that moves her from being an irredeemable victim to a lovable survivor. Let's also not forget the performance of Israel Broussard, who plays Tree's unlikely love interest. He's the movie's bit of comic relief who, most of the time, is unknowingly helping Tree in her mission to find her killer. Some of the other performances come off as a little too cheesy and some are kind of bad...but Rothe and Broussard alone carry the movie swimmingly.

The concept of this movie is kind of silly in general, but it's a fun and interesting one that manages to captivate. Does the movie get repetitive? No it doesn't, quite surprisingly. That's the danger when you start treading into Groundhog Day territory but Happy Death Day manages to carry a comfortable pace that doesn't get caught up over any repetitive pitfalls. This isn't really a scary movie, so don't let the creepy killer masks or brutal killings fool you into thinking otherwise. Happy Death Day was a movie I was fully expecting to be a C-tier cheesy horror flick...but surprisingly I came out of the movie with a smile on my face...because it was actually kind of good.

Saw this movie in theaters. Thought it was a really interesting premise that almost hit it's mark. Overall I enjoyed it, but yeah it definitely wasn't "scary". I do love campy B movie Schlock though, so it kept me entertained

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums

Jan 18, '18, 6:05pm

Godzilla Planet Of The Monsters

Didn’t like it. Animation style was terrible. Plot was interesting. Doubt I’ll watch any of its sequels.

I hate waiting for things I want to enjoy just to be let down. FeelsBadMan

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Jan 19, '18, 10:55am

Detroit - was all right. I think I had high expectations though. Which left it eh.
We don’t go balls to the wall, we go nuts to butts.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jan 20, '18, 8:21am

Lion - 9/10
A heartwarming true story about a little Indian boy who is separated from his family at a young age, ending up lost in Calcutta far, far from home. He ends up getting adopted by a family in Australia and we see him as he grows up and becomes a man. These kinds of stories are fascinating to me, ones that follow the life of someone from a young age all the way to adulthood. This story is even more captivating thanks to overwhelmingly great performances from Dev Patel, who plays the older Saroo (the main character of the story), as well as Nicole Kidman who plays Saroo's adoptive mother. Let's also not forget about Sunny Pawar, who plays young Saroo. The first act of the movie is stunning, yet sad, at the same time as we see a young boy coming to terms with the fact that he might never see his family again. The ending is heartwarming and it will surely make you feel all good inside.

EDIT:
Memento - 7/10
I tend to enjoy movies that make you think. Movies that require a little more attention from you. Movies that aren't just passive experiences. Memento fits into this category. It's a movie about a man who is trying to avenge his wife's death...however there's a catch. He has short term memory loss, a condition that poses an obstacle to his escapade. Guy Pearce cashes in a good performance as a man who writes himself a ton of notes and gets a ton of "helpful" tattoos; anything to help him achieve his mission. The story is told in a disjointed way, jumping back and forth through time. Although I admire the creative choice, I think it made the film a little harder to follow at times. I've heard that a chronological version of the film exists...which is probably a better viewing experience. Anyway, Memento is a thoughtful and hard-hitting thriller of sorts (with a pretty satisfying ending) that will leave you feeling an impact.

Snatched - 5/10
Well...if you are not a fan of Amy Schumer's brand of comedy then this isn't the movie for you. That's the best way I can put it. Snatched is full of Schumer's raunchy and often self-deprecating humor that misses way more than it hits. The more notable aspect of this movie is the return of Goldie Hawn, who plays Amy Schumer's character's mom. The two go on a vacation to Ecuador where things take a turn for the worse as they get kidnapped and have to find their way home. These sorts of comedies have the potential to offer a lot of physical comedy but there isn't much to write home about in this one. This is a very forgettable comedy that only offers mild moments of enjoyment. Besides a return performance from Hawn, one of the other major highlights from this film is Ike Barinholtz who plays the son of Hawn's character; sister to Amy's. His brief moments in the film are hilarious and perhaps the best parts of the movie.

Return to “Movies”