nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Re: What are you reading right now?

Aug 16, '17, 9:09am

ferdonkers wrote:I heard him on a podcast and he sounded like a cool dude, I bought the book for my friend who deals with anxiety, but I read it first to try and understand what he's dealing with. I want to read one of his air force gator books next to see what that's like

Haha the Air Force Gator books are pretty stupid hilarious. They're also pretty short so you should be able to fly through them.

Hestefesten
Pure One

Sep 08, '17, 4:38pm

I'm reading Homo Deus by Yuval Harari. It's really interesting, but so far I don't like as much as Sapiens, which he wrote earlier.

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Sep 09, '17, 4:43am

Just started Blood, Sweat and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made, by Jason Schreier.
It seems like a doozy.

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Sep 11, '17, 1:29am

Almost done reading Thrawn:

Hands down the best book of the new Star Wars canon.
► Show Spoiler

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Sep 11, '17, 5:15am

Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel

"A girl named Rose is riding her new bike near her home in Deadwood, South Dakota, when she falls through the earth. She wakes up at the bottom of a square hole, its walls glowing with intricate carvings. But the firemen who come to save her peer down upon something even stranger: a little girl in the palm of a giant metal hand.

Seventeen years later, the mystery of the bizarre artifact remains unsolved—its origins, architects, and purpose unknown. Its carbon dating defies belief; military reports are redacted; theories are floated, then rejected.

But some can never stop searching for answers.

Rose Franklin is now a highly trained physicist leading a top secret team to crack the hand’s code. And along with her colleagues, she is being interviewed by a nameless interrogator whose power and purview are as enigmatic as the provenance of the relic. What’s clear is that Rose and her compatriots are on the edge of unraveling history’s most perplexing discovery—and figuring out what it portends for humanity. But once the pieces of the puzzle are in place, will the result prove to be an instrument of lasting peace or a weapon of mass destruction?"
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

Sep 12, '17, 2:49am

Almost finished with the 4th book of The Witcher: The tower of swallow. I already have book 5 downloaded, ready for some more awesomeness. It's funny how I enjoy these audiobooks 10x more than the game. It's a nice game, but the story and lore never impressed me. The audiobooks do a better job. Peter Kenny is a great voice actor

BetoJR wrote:Just started Blood, Sweat and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made, by Jason Schreier.
It seems like a doozy.

Whaat I thought it came out in October GreatScott What is this witchcraft

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer

Sep 12, '17, 8:54am

Eve Narlieth wrote:Whaat I thought it came out in October GreatScott What is this witchcraft

Maybe the audiobooks come out in october?
Don't hit me.

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Sep 12, '17, 11:58pm

BetoJR wrote:
Eve Narlieth wrote:Whaat I thought it came out in October GreatScott What is this witchcraft

Don't hit me.

No, the release in the UK is 5th October :/

Well, this gives me time to wait for your review of it ThisIsFine no pressure

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer

Sep 13, '17, 2:04am

Eve Narlieth wrote:
BetoJR wrote:

Don't hit me.

No, the release in the UK is 5th October :/

Well, this gives me time to wait for your review of it ThisIsFine no pressure

I'm almost halfway done with it, myself. There are some "horror" stories, but mostly it's the tales of people striving to overcome bad odds and bad planning. Stardew Valley's, so far, was my favorite one.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Sep 13, '17, 2:11am

Eve Narlieth wrote:Almost finished with the 4th book of The Witcher: The tower of swallow. I already have book 5 downloaded, ready for some more awesomeness. It's funny how I enjoy these audiobooks 10x more than the game. It's a nice game, but the story and lore never impressed me. The audiobooks do a better job. Peter Kenny is a great voice actor

I keep seeing these in the bookstore and almost buy them on impulse. My to read pile is too big at the moment to add another large series.
► Show Spoiler

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer

Sep 13, '17, 2:24am

Mavryk wrote:
Eve Narlieth wrote:Almost finished with the 4th book of The Witcher: The tower of swallow. I already have book 5 downloaded, ready for some more awesomeness. It's funny how I enjoy these audiobooks 10x more than the game. It's a nice game, but the story and lore never impressed me. The audiobooks do a better job. Peter Kenny is a great voice actor

I keep seeing these in the bookstore and almost buy them on impulse. My to read pile is too big at the moment to add another large series.

You should, tho. These books are really good.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Sep 13, '17, 2:38am

BetoJR wrote:You should, tho. These books are really good.

My back log is in the 30's at the moment, and that's just the ones I've already bought. I will keep the recommendation in mind though.
► Show Spoiler

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Sep 13, '17, 2:39am

BetoJR wrote:
Mavryk wrote:

You should, tho. These books are really good.

I can only comment on the audiobook version - it's awesome. I don't know how the books read, but they're awesome when read out loud by a good voice actor.

If you have at least a 40min commute to work, you could try listening to them. Of course, make sure you're able to focus on the road. I personally can't listen to stuff like this when I drive, but I listen to them at work

EDIT: I made an assumption you have a job and you drive to it. My bad. I have listened to the books while cooking and washing dishes too, so that works

Mavryk
Management
Management

Sep 13, '17, 2:46am

Eve Narlieth wrote:I can only comment on the audiobook version - it's awesome. I don't know how the books read, but they're awesome when read out loud by a good voice actor.

If you have at least a 40min commute to work, you could try listening to them. Of course, make sure you're able to focus on the road. I personally can't listen to stuff like this when I drive, but I listen to them at work

EDIT: I made an assumption you have a job and you drive to it. My bad. I have listened to the books while cooking and washing dishes too, so that works

I haven't gotten into audio books yet, usually the times you are describing I'm listening to various podcasts. But I do have a few Doctor Who ones, so maybe those will get me into the routine. Plus my current commute to work is about 20ish minutes depending on traffic, and in the morning the old brain cells aren't firing fast enough to really stick with a book lol
► Show Spoiler

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Sep 13, '17, 2:56am

Mavryk wrote:
I haven't gotten into audio books yet, usually the times you are describing I'm listening to various podcasts. But I do have a few Doctor Who ones, so maybe those will get me into the routine. Plus my current commute to work is about 20ish minutes depending on traffic, and in the morning the old brain cells aren't firing fast enough to really stick with a book lol

Hehe fair enough :) I also listen to podcasts, but because of the time of year (summer, harvest, drilling, etc) , I spend most of my 9-6 workday doing repetitive manual labour so I run out of podcasts easily. The Witcher has been a salvation. If you ever get around to the Doctor Who ones, let me know if they're good

Lord_Duncho
Producer
PSN: Lord_Duncho

Sep 13, '17, 2:08pm

goddamn you guys are geniuses- Witcher audiobooks at work?! I'm starting that shit tomorrow, brilliant!
"...fuck it dude, let's go bowling."

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

What are you reading right now?

Sep 27, '17, 9:32am

So I don't read many books. Books are in the same situation as tv shows for me. I don't consume very many, and when I do they need to really grab me.

The most recent thing I read, which was about 3 weeks ago, was The Fever Code. It's the fifth and probably last book in the Maze Runner series. I've always really enjoyed these books. Even the fourth book which didn't have much to do with the rest of the trilogy was pretty good. Fever Code was still good, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, however I have a personal gripe with it.

To me it gave me answers I didn't want, to questions I wasn't asking. The book is all about how the maze and trials were created, which is cool as an idea. But I didn't like how the book ended and how everything connected. The connections feel forced and too convenient. And the ending essentially changed how I see the rest of the books, and in a way I didn't like from a fan standpoint.

As for what the future holds, I have only two books planned. The first, which is being sent to me now, is The Girl Who Took An Eye For An Eye. Or the TLDR answer, the fifth book of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series. (Still too long lol). This series is weird now since it's being written by an entirely different author. The last book was the first one he did, but I actually thought he did a great job. It still felt like the rest of the series. I just always had it in the back of my mind that it was different. But I have no doubt he'll do a good job with this new one. I do wish this series would just end though. It feels a bit comical to have these same characters continuously getting into these dangerous situations.

And second, Artemis, aka the new book from the author of The Martian. The Martian was awesome, and Artemis seems like it'll be interesting enough since it's another space setting that promises real science. So I'll be all over that when it hits in November.

Okay I'll shut up now. I doubt anybody even cares about any of these books. ThisIsFine
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

What are you reading right now?

Oct 12, '17, 11:08am

Just finished The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye. Honestly I'm disappointed by it. This book seems to have ignored what I like most about this series; The main characters and their exciting adventures.

This book tells a story that largely has nothing to do with either one of those things. And when I was treated to reading about the main characters, it had very little excitement to it. It started to get good near the end, but the conclusion was a big let down.

The story it tells is pretty good, and well crafted. If it were its own book outside of this series I'd have had no issues. Even though everything connects and makes sense, most of what you read doesn't involve any of the main characters from the series. And that's why this book was a let down.

Still, it was something to entertain me. ThisIsFine
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

Hestefesten
Pure One

Oct 22, '17, 10:55am

I'm only about 25% done, it's quite interesting, and I'm looking forward to when it'll be about modern times. It was released this year, I think, so it'll hopefully contain some chapters about the current state of America, which I'm very interested in reading. So far it's been about the first couple of centuries in America, with the focus on Americans' tendency to believe anything as factual truth, no matter how far out it is.

"A razor-sharp thinker offers a new understanding of our post-truth world and explains the American instinct to believe in make-believe, from the Pilgrims to P. T. Barnum to Disneyland to zealots of every stripe . . . to Donald Trump."

channelocho
Unsung Hero
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Oct 22, '17, 2:53pm

I picked up Blood, Sweat and Pixels after they kept joking about Jason Schreier writing a book about the Visceral debacle. It should arrive tomorrow from Amazon.

Return to “Media”