TheRealCaleb
Pure One
Position/Title: Freelance Writer

Need some comic recommendations.

Jul 12, '17, 6:06pm

Hey everyone,
I'm looking for a good Spider-Man comic set in the early high school years. I no absolutely nothing about comics and this is the character I want to start with. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks
-Caleb T
PS4: awesomeness3001 (Let us change our names)
XBL: Profile C347319
Steam: *Click*Click...BOOM
Twitter: @CalebUnknown

MannySJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Jul 12, '17, 6:17pm

TheRealCaleb wrote:Hey everyone,
I'm looking for a good Spider-Man comic set in the early high school years. I no absolutely nothing about comics and this is the character I want to start with. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

The current Spider-Man run has Peter as a middle-aged billionaire tech wizard who is basically Tony Stark, so avoid that. I suggest going back and reading the first few trade paperbacks of Ultimate Spider-Man, which was an alternate version of Spider-Man/Peter Parker that Marvel launched a few years ago. There are a lot of major differences between the Ultimate universe and Marvel's core universe, but it's well written and very entertaining.

Marvel also has an ongoing series called Spidey, which is another retelling of young Spider-Man/Peter Parker set in modern times. This one sticks more closely to Spider-Man's original origins. It's also pretty good and, as a bonus, the artist is a Kinda Funny fan and has found ways to sneak in the Kinda Funny logo here and there.

TheRealCaleb
Pure One
Position/Title: Freelance Writer

Jul 12, '17, 6:20pm

MannySJ wrote:
TheRealCaleb wrote:Hey everyone,

The current Spider-Man run has Peter as a middle-aged billionaire tech wizard who is basically Tony Stark, so avoid that. I suggest going back and reading the first few trade paperbacks of Ultimate Spider-Man, which was an alternate version of Spider-Man/Peter Parker that Marvel launched a few years ago. There are a lot of major differences between the Ultimate universe and Marvel's core universe, but it's well written and very entertaining.

Marvel also has an ongoing series called Spidey, which is another retelling of young Spider-Man/Peter Parker set in modern times. This one sticks more closely to Spider-Man's original origins. It's also pretty good and, as a bonus, the artist is a Kinda Funny fan and has found ways to sneak in the Kinda Funny logo here and there.

Thanks! I'll check some of those out.
-Caleb T
PS4: awesomeness3001 (Let us change our names)
XBL: Profile C347319
Steam: *Click*Click...BOOM
Twitter: @CalebUnknown

LeviHunt
Best Friend

Aug 02, '17, 3:38pm

Ultimate Spider-Man is definitely the *right* answer here, and Spidey is another great rec. But if you're still not satiated by those:

If you have Marvel Unlimited (basically Netflix for digital Marvel comics, if you're unaware) or ever want to give it a try, you should go back and give the original stuff a try.

Amazing Spider-Man #1-38 is drawn and creatively driven by artist Steve Ditko and largely takes place with Peter as a high schooler. But, those stories feature a much broodier version of the character that might be hard to recognize if you're a Spider-Man: Homecoming fan.

After that though, from #39-onwards, artist John Romita joined the book and lightened it up, turning it into more of a soap opera (in a good way). Those issues take place with Peter in college but feature all the girl troubles, friend groups, and villain drama you could want from a Spider-Man story.

If you can look past some of the dated dialogue or fashion, there are some really fun stories from #39-on that are basically the prototype that something like Spider-Man: Homecoming was built on.
I used to write comic book reviews for IGN and now talk about Marvel Comics for myself at themarvelyears.com please read me there, if you're into that kind of thing.
Twitter https://twitter.com/levihuntmt [color=#FF0000]

Return to “Media”