What kind of voice do you prefer to hear in music?

Male
11%
Female
21%
I like both equally
37%
It depends...
32%

Total votes: 19
II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Do you prefer a female or male voice in music?

Aug 13, '17, 8:05pm

Something I've thought about here and there. I remember talking to someone and they said they mostly like male voices to sing songs. In general I don't care much either way. I really only care if I like the song overall. But I think I do have a preference more towards female voices. They just sound better.

Do you have any kind of preference even if it's a small one that you don't let get in the way? Or are they completely equal to you? Does it depend on the type of music? And why?

Edit: I added a fourth option to the poll. It seems it deleted the other votes. My bad.
Last edited by II GTA FREEK II on Aug 14, '17, 2:14pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

gwnner
Shadow Boxer

Aug 13, '17, 8:31pm

That's quite interesting. When I think of classic voices that I love, I more or less exclusively love male voices e.g. The Boss, Sinatra, Dylan, Neil Young, Noel Gallagher, Simon & Garfunkel. It's never the Aretha Franklins, Whitneys or Madonnas of the world. With the exception of Alison Moyet, whose voice I love.

When it comes to modern stuff, I don't listen to much but I find male voices more or less indistinguishable. But I like Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift in particular.

channelocho
Producer
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Re: Do you prefer a female or male voice in music?

Aug 13, '17, 8:48pm

I have no preference, as long as a like the song then it does not matter to me the gender of the singer. I have never turned off a song because I thought "I don't like the gender of the singer"

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums

Aug 13, '17, 9:07pm

channelocho wrote:I have no preference, as long as a like the song then it does not matter to me the gender of the singer. I have never turned off a song because I thought "I don't like the gender of the singer"

Me neither. I don't dislike music because of who's singing it. I just feel like I like female voices a little bit more. They tend to be the ones singing the songs I like most.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

JJGee
Baller
PSN: Night-MareW
Steam: JJGee

Aug 13, '17, 10:18pm

The only context where it really matters to me is if the singing is in Swedish. Being Finnish, a male voice singing in Swedish sounds dumb as shit, while a female voice is often stunningly beautiful. I dunno why.

darwinfeeshy

Aug 14, '17, 2:26am

There are all-time greats from both genders, and my favorite music includes both genders, so I'll have to go with "both equally".

Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

Aug 14, '17, 2:33am

Interesting question.

Maybe when I have time I'll count how many male and female lead bands/composers I like. But from what I can think of, I like them equally.

The two bands I've been listening to the most lately have been Belle & Sebastian (mostly male singing) and Laura Marling (female composer).

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Aug 14, '17, 2:34am

90 percent of the music I listen to has female vocals. But some of my favorite songs have male vocals, so I'm not opposed to them.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Aug 14, '17, 2:44am

I don't really have a preference, I guess. Depends on the song.

MannySJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
XBL: Senor Samson
PSN: SenorSamson
NNID: SenorSamson
Steam: SenorSamson

Aug 14, '17, 2:01pm

Depends entirely on the song, genre, and (if applicable) band. I love some male voices, hate others; love some female voices, hate others. It's not simple, overarching thing.
Last edited by MannySJ on Aug 14, '17, 2:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bake1986
Producer

Aug 14, '17, 2:08pm

Never really thought about it before. When I was growing up most of the rock singers I liked were male, but females have become a lot more common in recent decades. I guess if I were listening to a soft ballad I'd prefer female.

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Aug 14, '17, 2:33pm

It depends.....I can't imagine Linkin Park or Rise Against with female singers having the same impact but i do like Females singers too I feel like most girls have better voices than guys by default for signing (not all im saying most)
But it just depends on what the genre is

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums

Aug 14, '17, 2:34pm

Eve Narlieth wrote:Interesting question.

Maybe when I have time I'll count how many male and female lead bands/composers I like. But from what I can think of, I like them equally.

When I thought about this in the past I actually did some counting myself. The results are actually against my small preference of female voices.

On my iPod I currently have 67 unique artists. 39 are male singers, and 28 are female. Of the 104 total songs, 55 are male, and 49 are female. So I actually have no evidence to support my preference. I just feel like the songs I like the most have female singers. Weird.

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

Aug 14, '17, 2:40pm

I think for the most part I like male singers more but a few exceptions would be Lzzy Hale and Hailey Williams. I love those 2

Valomek
Baller
PSN: Valomek

Aug 14, '17, 2:51pm

Male as I for most times can't stand the voices of most women.

I have a playlist with 416 songs on Spotify, I will now list the songs where there is a female singer, the number you see is the number it has on the playlist.

1. Nephew feat Marie Key - Gå med dig
78. The Storm - Honesty
79. The Storm - B.S.E
184. Keny Arkana - La Rage
217. Eluveitie - Call of the Mountains
260. Cradle of Filth feat Liv Kristine - Nymphétamine Fix
348. Nightwish - Nemo
415. Pain feat Anette Olzon - Follow me

Thats a total of 8 songs out of 416, so I think its pretty clear on where I stand on this topic.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Aug 14, '17, 3:16pm

I think it depends on the genre and the style of singing, the personal preference for various tones and how well the vocal line is incorporated into the rest of the instruments.

With that being said, while I think I have more female than male vocalists when it come to electronic/dance music and there is quite a few songs with female vocals in my collection (Kate Bush springs to mind) I think that overall in my collection I lean toward preferring male voices. Give me mid-range 80s new wave male vocals over any other style and I'll pick over any other style.
Steam: The_Redback
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Aug 14, '17, 8:40pm

Like a lot of people here, it all depends on the type of song. I know when I'm listening to electronic music, female vocals often make these songs better. It often seems like the majority of the electronic songs I listen to (if they contain vocals) include female vocals. However, if it's something like Jazz I feel like the male voice does wonders for these kinds of songs. It's certainly an interesting question.

niliuscofc
Baller
PSN: niliuscofc

Aug 15, '17, 6:05am

Both.
To grind, or not to grind...

Yin
Pure One

Aug 15, '17, 10:22pm

Somewhat depends on the song. I would say that I like them equally, but there is a bias I have that I will give a female singer a chance and listen to their stuff before I will if a male is singing. It may be due to how almost every band I listened to before was male, so it is just more interesting to see what a female does with a song.

Lucaay!
Baller
PSN: LegendThriller5

Aug 16, '17, 2:54am

I've never really thought about if I prefer one more than the other but when thinking about the music I Iisten to the majority of the bands and artists have male vocalists so I guess thats the answer? lol
*Insert Trophy Sound*
@PressXToLucy
*Please excuse my typos. I sometimes type without my glasses on and therefore can't actually see/read what I'm typing lol*

Return to “Media”