prototypetom
Shadow Boxer
PSN: prototypetom

Re: Comics you're reading at the moment

Oct 18, '16, 12:44pm

Killon56 wrote:
prototypetom wrote:^ nice, that's on my wish list, but after I read The Incal I think.

Have you read The Metabarons? Because that leads more into this than The Incal I think.

No I haven't read any of the Jodoverse. But as I understand it, (and i might be wrong) The Incal is the first book written, and also the most independent - it's not so entrenched in the dynasty of the Metabarons itself. while I'm curious about that universe, I'm currently invested in locke and key, scalped, invincible and more, and don't really want to get sucked into another universe just at the moment!
Image Image

Killon56
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Killon56
Steam: Killon

Oct 18, '16, 12:49pm

prototypetom wrote:No I haven't read any of the Jodoroverse. But as I understand it, (and i might be wrong) The Incal is the first book written, and also the most independent - it's not so entrenched in the dynasty of the Metabarons itself. while I'm curious about that universe, I'm currently invested in locke and key, scalped, invincible and more, and don't really want to get sucked into another universe just at the moment!

I've actually still not read The Incal. I know The Nameless Metabaron appears in it. But, I've only read the Metabarons comics and this first new book. I know of at least a couple things referenced in the new book that are from the original Metabarons series. I'm just saying there is probably more useful info in the original Metabarons run for the new books. Just fyi
Galvatron \o/ PRAISE THE SUN \o/ Galvatron

tejotl
Producer

Oct 18, '16, 12:54pm

finally bought Juan Solo (had a pirate .cbr years ago) - I just love this story and super happy that I finally had a chance to pay for it and put it on my shelf
walking on vector prime

Killon56
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Killon56
Steam: Killon

Oct 19, '16, 6:05am

tejotl wrote:finally bought Juan Solo (had a pirate .cbr years ago) - I just love this story and super happy that I finally had a chance to pay for it and put it on my shelf

Oh, that looks cool. I may have to pick this up. ColinApproves ColinApproves
Galvatron \o/ PRAISE THE SUN \o/ Galvatron

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Nov 09, '16, 1:58am

I read Scalped deluxe/hardcover vol1

It's great. I really liked the writting, it's nice and smart, but still offers lots of pulpy fun. The art is not really to my tastes, but it's fine - and it does have it's moments when it shines

I also finished the 2nd 'The Red Star' deluxe.

And it wasn't the end. I got the first volume under the impression there was just the two hardcovers to get the complete story - I'm not sure I would have bothered with the 2nd book if i'd known otherwise.
It's not bad at all, in places its a great series. But it's not wait 2 years for the next part great.

Really looking forward to Scalped deluxe 2 and Locke & key deluxe 2 to arrive!
Image Image

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Nov 20, '16, 6:53am

Ordered Locke & Key master 3 after a few pages of the second book. Now finished it all.

Fantastic. It's tussling for a position in my top comic reads, somewhere between 6 and 2 i guess.

Back on Scalped deluxe 2. and after that i'm thinking it might be time to get into some hero shizzy again.
Not sure if to go moody with Old Man Logan or Ennis' Punisher Max, or to more colourful with Brightest Day or Miles Ultimate Spider-man or more Deadpool. I guess I'll see how much cheering up I need after more Scalped.
Image Image

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Comics you're reading at the moment

Nov 28, '16, 10:03am

Finally finished Amy Schumer's book a couple of days ago. It was funny, but it's probably not going to vibe with a lot of people who don't enjoy her shtick. I'm not too much of a fan myself, but I still thought it had a lot of funny stuff.

Now I've moved on to The Mothers, a novel by Brit Bennett. I generally read books at a slow pace since I'm so busy all the time so it will probably be a month before I finish this one.

HvnlyDaze
Pure One
PSN: HvnlyDaze

Dec 02, '16, 4:32pm

X-Statix
Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison run)

When I'm finished with Grant Morrison's run, I'm going to hop over to Rachel Pollack's run on Doom Patrol.

SixRaygunClyinder
Best Friend

Dec 02, '16, 8:14pm

Oh boy here were we guy my current list
Nightwing ( Best rebrith title imo)
Detective comics
Green Arrow
The flash
Titans
teen titans
Red hood and the outlaws
Superman
Grayson
Daredevil reborn

HvnlyDaze
Pure One
PSN: HvnlyDaze

Dec 03, '16, 8:54am

SixRaygunClyinder wrote:Oh boy here were we guy my current list
Nightwing ( Best rebrith title imo)
Detective comics
Green Arrow
The flash
Titans
teen titans
Red hood and the outlaws
Superman
Grayson
Daredevil reborn

Great picks, man! I still need to check out 'Superman Rebirth'. I have issues 1-10 in my closet, but I still haven't read it yet. Hearing a lot of great things about it, though.

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Dec 04, '16, 3:45pm

despite what i was feeling, as i figured it'd be a slow read month with work and the trophy war I opted for The Incal.

About halfway through and... well, honestly, I have to keep reminding myself it started in 1981 and i think fantasy was a more of a delicacy back then, like duck l'orange, and perhaps concepts alone had a little more perceived merit. Symbolism, spiritualism, fantasy and satire I'm getting, but I'm missing any real feeling of chemistry, sympathy or weight of consequence with the characters yet. it's missing some heart.
Image Image

TheHiketeia
Producer
PSN: TheHiketeia
NNID: TheHiketeia
Steam: TheHiketeia

Dec 14, '16, 9:56am

I've been on a big Image kick lately:

Rockstars
Pretty Deadly
Rat Queens (currently on a hiatus, but will resume in 2017)
Bitch Planet

I have also been reading some Marvel/DC stuff:

Batman & Robin Adventures
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Black Panther
Darth Vader (and the subsequent cross overs)

And other random stuff:
Giant Days
Paper Girls
The Lumberjanes
It all began with a Nintendo 64 in 1996...
Now I'm all about that Playstation Nation/PCMR.

HavokX
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Havok83

Dec 17, '16, 4:06pm

Inhumans vs X-men #1 was VERY good

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Dec 31, '16, 7:28pm

Finished The Incal.

Hmmm, I can see why it was so popular, and it did improve on some of my earlier criticisms, if not entirely resolving them. But I think it'll be filed under "glad I read it but not my cuppa tea, even though it really should have been".

Got Ocean/Orbiter by Warren Ellis, Fables hardcover 1 and the first Anderson PSI collection for xmas. an odd bunch to be sure! Ordered the 2 Lazarus hardcovers too. Probably order Scalped HC 3 too. Oh and I picked up an odd TPB called Battler Britton by Ennis, total impulse buy as the cover sort of reminded me of the old Commando comics I read at my local youth club as a kid... back through the mists of time.
Image Image

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Jan 02, '17, 4:41am

Just finished Wonder Woman: Earth One. Enjoyed it, a lot, but I think I like the current Rucka/Scott/Sharp run a bit more. Anyway, a good recommendation, for anyone who enjoys alternate takes on the character!

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Jan 02, '17, 4:46am

prototypetom wrote:Finished The Incal.

Hmmm, I can see why it was so popular, and it did improve on some of my earlier criticisms, if not entirely resolving them. But I think it'll be filed under "glad I read it but not my cuppa tea, even though it really should have been".

Got Ocean/Orbiter by Warren Ellis, Fables hardcover 1 and the first Anderson PSI collection for xmas. an odd bunch to be sure! Ordered the 2 Lazarus hardcovers too. Probably order Scalped HC 3 too. Oh and I picked up an odd TPB called Battler Britton by Ennis, total impulse buy as the cover sort of reminded me of the old Commando comics I read at my local youth club as a kid... back through the mists of time.

That's quite the eclectic take! ColinApproves
I miss Fables... so fucking much. And Lazarus just keeps getting better!

Also, about the Incal... You're probably right. At least you gave it a shot?

BedaHouse
Seducer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Jan 02, '17, 5:49am

I am sporadic at best, but I really love the Rebirth Green Arrow series. Nightwing as well.

At my peak -- Nightwing, Teen Titans, Flash, Green Arrow were all in the mix.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Jan 02, '17, 3:58pm

BetoJR wrote:
That's quite the eclectic take! ColinApproves
I miss Fables... so fucking much. And Lazarus just keeps getting better!

Also, about the Incal... You're probably right. At least you gave it a shot?

I'm really looking forward to Fables. I just hope that playing The Wolf Amoung Us isn't going to take anything/much away from it - but saying that, I might not have decided to try it if I hadn't.

I finished Ocean.
The perfect response to Incal really, a self contained story which stays just as long as it's worth. It was a little familiar and predictable, but it was snappy enough to read well with some cute action. Like a really solid (but safe) Outer Limits or other sci-fi anthology type thing. Pretty much everything I hoped it would be. The only serious problem was the Microsoft analogue being so cringey! Oh and I couldn't help feeling that the political response to the 'solution' after the story would have been a more interesting story.
Image Image

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Jan 13, '17, 9:00pm

Finished Orbiter a little while ago.
Overall, a little better than Ocean (which was very solid) with more interesting ideas. However, it does seem to be a prologue to a full series - I don't know if it was or it wasn't, probably not, but the ending is a little abrupt. characters are a little light to be as moving as it could be too. all in all, very good but could have done with being an issue longer to establish the characters a little more and give the ending more weight.
Image Image

why2bee
Unsung Hero
PSN: why2bee

Jan 16, '17, 7:29am

Most of the DC stuff week in and week out. I'm loving All-Star Batman at the moment and Superman is piquing my interest more than before. Aside from that Saga and some other Image books. I forget the name of it but there was one a few weeks ago that just started about a murder in the Rock n Roll era in the 70's and how it fits to now. It was a really cool first issue, I'm excited to read more.

Return to “Media”